Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'm looking for a documentary I saw on TV once, but have never seen or heard of before or since. Looked on Youtube and Google, but couldn't find a word about it. If anyone knows where I could find it or if it's hiding on the internet somewhere than that would be awesome.

It was called Cannibal Island (but has nothing to do with the National Geographic documentary with the same name) and it was about the Nazino affair (link). Basically what happened was that in 1933 the Stalinist regime rounded up 6,000 petty criminals, illegal immigrants, social misfits, unwanted minorities and other undesirables and unloaded them all on an island half the size of Central Park, in the river Ob in Siberia. They were all already pretty bad off from dehydration and malnutrition and had no food, no tools and no shelter. It was one of the most frightening things I have seen and a sobering reminder of what human beings will do when they get really desperate, including cannibalism and necrophagia. About 2,000 left the island alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I was wondering if anyone here could help me locate a documentary I saw a few years ago. I don't remember any names, but it was about a gigantic ore transporter that capsized and sank with all hands lost somewhere in southeast Asia (I think) during extremely foul weather. The documentary followed investigators trying to find out why exactly it sank, and there was also interviews with next of kin who I think mostly came from some small village in England. I think they finally concluded that the sinking had something to do with an access hole having been torn open in the storm which had allowed swell to gradually fill up the interior of the ship until it got so heavy it sank.

If anyone could help me track down this documentary then that would be awesome, because it was really good and I've been wanting to see it again.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

TheHoodedClaw posted:

This is from a while back, but the ship concerned is almost certainly the MV Derbyshire, the largest British-flagged ship ever lost at sea. Hope this helps.

That's the one, thanks. Fantastic documentary, unfortunately the only version that I've managed to dig up online is dubbed in German. :ughh:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I need some help. I'm looking for a documentary I saw years ago but forgot the name of, it's about offshore oil drilling and how the dwindling undersea oil fields make us employ ever more extreme measure to get at the oil. I believe a lot of it takes place off the coast of South America and the Brazilian oil company Petrobras is mentioned a few times.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 29, 2012

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Hmm nope, if I remember correctly they talked about oil drilling off the South American Atlantic coast. Gasland is about natural gas extraction in Pennsylvania, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Last resort question: I was intending to record the rather excellent documentary "Frozen North: Sir Hubert's Forgotten Submarine Expedition" off of TV, but I somehow failed actually press the record button. Is there any place online where I can buy it and watch it online? Perhaps I fail at google, but I can't find anything more than a trailer. It was made by American Public Television, I think.