Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I am watching this "documentary" I found on archive.org. It is (narrated) footage of concentration camps for use in war crime trials. Not for the faint of heart, but it is the best documentation and 'raw' footage I have ever seen.

Very graphic, but it is what it is :nms:

:nws:http://www.archive.org/details/nazi_concentration_camps:nws:

At the beginning they claim that this footage is pulled from 6,000 out of 80,000 feet of film that was taken. Any idea what became of the rest of the footage? Is it just in a military archive somewhere?

My bad if this has already been posted somewhere in the past 53 pages.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

It took me taking many breaks to finish it, but I finally did. I seen some terrible poo poo, but the last 5 minutes is the worst I have ever seen. Which brings me to my question.
Does anyone know of any good documentaries about troops returning from WWII and their mental states and difficulties? I suppose it doesn't have to be about WWII, anything taking a look at combat PTSD would be interesting

Edit - Thanks El Goatherd, I'm watching that now

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 8, 2011

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

WouldDesk posted:

Just Melvin, Just Evil
Thanks (I think), I'm watching this now.

Anyone seen "Saleman" or "Grey Gardens"? They both sound interesting, although by just watching the 'trailer' for Grey Gardens, I'm kind of confused on what's it about. Seems touching though

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I think it was toward the beginning of this thread when I saw Dark Days recommended and it was fantastic, if there is anyone who hasn't seen it yet, you need to.

On that same topic, have any more good documentaries on homelessness came out in the last year or two?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

This is a cool documentary about a guy trying to track down the people who scammed him http://documentary.net/victim-traced-scammers-paid-them-a-visit-in-thailand/

I understand his frustration, but he comes off as a very dislikeable and reckless character. I wonder how much additional money he wasted on his wild goose chase.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

West of Memphis is really a great glimpse into seeing how our justice system works "Well they admitted to it, so we've got our killers :smuggo:" Without even considering they, you know, got out of prison for admitting their guilt

I saw all of the Paradise Lost series also, and after all of that I don't feel I'm sure of anything. One thing it did illustrate well is how a show can steer its audience. There were at least 2 or 3 times when I was convinced I knew who did it. But my thoughts are: Someone 'passing thru' did it. If you remember, the crime scene was by a well populated highway/truck stop..

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Hormones posted:

Last night I watched two great ones on Netflix.

The Weird and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. It followed three generations of the White family who were pretty notorious to... well, everyone around. Drugs, alcohol, fights, jail, weapons, attacks, everything.

If you haven't seen it, make sure to check out where it started: The Dancing Outlaw and the inferior, Dancing Outlaw II: Jesco goes to Hollywood

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I'm sure it has been asked somewhere in the last 78 pages, but I am wanting to gear up for Halloween early and watch some good mysterious/paranormal type documentary's. The more plausible the better.

I've saw Cropsey, but I may watch it again anyway.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

^Just finished this, not too bad. Kept me guessing as to what would happen next.But I wonder if, Crowhurst didn't fabricate mental illness. It's not like he didn't fake anything else, and his timing is kind of strange. You would think those kind of mental health problems would have already peaked in the first few months of isolation. It's quite possible he would think that his going crazy would be more honorable than just killing him self because of the situation.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Any of you folks seen Dennis O'Rourke's Cannibal Tours? It's all about rich tourists going through impoverished Papua New Guinea in 1987 and generally being awful people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQiDufdir_M

I love this thread for strange things like this. I'll be watching it this evening

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

I'd like to come out and recommend this BBC documentary that speculates Jesus was a really Buddhist monk. His teachings of humility, loving thy enemy, and the meek inheriting the Earth for all were likely variations on Buddhist themes, because these values do not appear in Judaism. After he was born in Israel, he travelled to India where he spent some 15 years or so learning Buddhism, then returned to Israel to spread the values he learned. He probably hitched a ride with the spice caravans that routinely brought spices from India to the Arabian peninsula. He didn't die on the cross because his followers drugged him to make him appear dead so that the Romans would let them take him down early. He was then resuscitated in secret and he fled back to Asia where he eventually died in the mountains of Kashmir.

If you're a Christian this might irk you and you will probably reject it, but even so it's fun ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaW6BYhfNM

This was really interesting. I've often wondered about such a thing. I wish they could do testing on all of those remains, just to see what would be found. It could literally rock the world

edit- I may have missed the part where they talked about it, but is the writings that the Russian guy found of the 'proof' that a boy came from Israel? Or can it be found in other Buddhist writings?

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 3, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I'm still working my way through the (now closed) 'Post your favorite scary or unnerving Wikipedia page' thread, and came across this BBC documentary on the New Mexico Prison Riot:

YouTube

If you have an interest in prison culture, it's a good (but tough) watch.

There are a few crime scene pictures, but the graphic and emotional story telling make this NWS and/or NMS.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 28, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Has anyone made it out to see Jodorowsky's Dune yet?

fenix down posted:

In other news, Finding Vivian Maier FINALLY came out and it is absolutely wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2nBhQ67Zc

I've never heard of this, looks interesting!

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 30, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Late to the thread and haven't read it all but Peter Jackson did a movie about the West Memphis 3 case, first made famous by the 3 HBO Paradise Lost films, called West of Memphis.

Here's Paradise Lost 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NNdCP9z2cM

West of Memphis didn't too well at the box office but casts some pretty serious light on who committed the murders and how/why the West Memphis Three were let out of prison. It's the best of the four documentaries on the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_of_Memphis

I watched this whole series from the first Paradise Lost, and I don't think I have ever watched a series that is as much of a roller coaster ride. There are like 2 or 3 suspects who they had me believing may have done it, only to later 'clear' them. West Of Memphis does make a good argument for a particular person, but short of a deathbed confession, I don't think we will ever really know who done it. It may be one of the lesser likely scenarios, but I've never been fully convinced that it wasn't just a random person who was driving through the area.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

mtr posted:

I liked "The Staircase" about Michael Peterson. I went in knowing nothing about him or the trial. It's eight 45 minute episodes and they are on Youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2345vJZhSw

As I recall, If you watch all of this and then look into the fact of the case outside The Staircase, you are going to be pretty pissed. It's been a long time since I have seen it, but I seem to remember the show totally ignoring some really important facts

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've seen the first, I'm not really interested in 2 or 3 as I've heard they have a real bad habit of the documentarians trying really hard to make themselves part of the story. 2 in particular I've heard is basically "Well we're not SAYING this guy did it, but he sure looks and sounds crazy huh?"

That's basically West of Memphis too (which you should watch after 2 & 3...because, you should)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Leading forensic experts have testified that most, if not all of the wounds on the murdered children were the result of animal predation and that the cause of death was drowning. I personally believe that Terry Wayne Hobbs murdered those kids, tied them up with their own shoelaces, moved them to the ditch and got away with it.

If you want to know more about what I know, PM me, otherwise I'm happy to post it here but I don't want to derail the thread too much. Remember the bite mark from PL2? It's a perfect match for Terry Hobbs' partial denture. Hobbs killed those kids.

Not only do I want to hear more, but I think this deserves an ask/tell or some other thread of it's own (surprised we don't have a WM3 thread already actually)

Since you say the cause of death was drowning, you think Hobbs abused them, tied them up, threw them in a ditch where they ulimately drowned? Or that he drowned them in another location and then dumped them in a ditch? I guess one question that comes up with that is that in some ways it seems premeditated, but the hap-hazard throwing in a ditch where he knew they would be discovered seems to indicate it was spontaneous.. Anyway, yes, I think a lot of us would like to hear more

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

this definitely makes me look at McNamara more as a person than as a figurehead in relation to the world around him at the time.

It was a very good documentary, but he is a politician first and foremost. He is a slick character that can manipulate an interview like nobodies business.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I watched one recently about the bottled water industry. Forgot the name of it but it only reinforced the idea in my head that bottled water is the ultimate scam. I get mad at my wife when she buys it.

I'm with you on this. I'm amazed US advertising companies were able to make it chic and trendy, when 20 years ago if you told me you only ever drank bottled water, I would have assumed you were in Mexico or something.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Mahoning posted:

I just want to say, I'm through 4 parts of The Roosevelts: An Intimate Portrait and it is absolutely top notch Ken Burns. On par with his 3 greatest docs: The Civil War, Baseball, and The National Parks.

I just started watching The Dust Bowl. It's very engrossing and I'm realizing how little I knew about it. The interviews with people who were there tug at the heart strings and give an inkling about how terrifying it must have been to see those giant black clouds rolling in.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

fenix down posted:

Streetwise is essential viewing!

Wow, that was surprisingly shocking. Thanks for the recommendation

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 25, 2015

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I haven't finished Going Clear yet, but I am really digging it. I don't know much of anything about Scientology, so it's very enlightening. Scientology really does seem like a Hollywood religion. It has that air of new age, mystic-elitism that I'm sure many egos are drawn too. Also, like with John Travolta, if you move to somewhere like Hollywood and happen to fall into something like Scientology and you do happen to become famous, I think it would be very easy to convince yourself that it was the mysticism that caused it.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

The 'recommend me' thread didn't have anything, so does anyone here know of a good documentary on the 'satanic panic' of the 80s? Book recommendations are ok too

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

There's a real nice transfer of Huston's Let There Be Light from 1946 on the 'tube. Much of the stuff shown is adorably arcane but the early interviews with shaken veterans is devastating stuff. I'm really kind of astounded by the photography in this. It portrays real moments in a classical Hollywood style that documentaries would not often emulate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiD6bnqpJDE

Wow, that was something. Could you recommend any more documentaries that have the same subject matter ? Anything WWI thru now would be ok.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Herv posted:

What Is Reality - BBC Documentary

I would really like to watch that, but what is up with some YT videos being light in the center . Do they do this to avoid having it taken down?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

The Staircase is really good, as is its sequel.

Isn't that the one that leaves out a lot of important, damning evidence?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

I swore it was recommended in this thread, and I was coming to thank whoever posted it, but now I don't see it.

Anyway, The Umbrella Man is a 6 minute Errol Morris documentary that is wonderfully interesting for its short run time

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 26, 2015

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

So those that consider Burns documentary on Vietnam bad, what’s a good documentary? I’m on the third episode of Burns’ and don’t find it to be horrible or anything

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Thank you!

Hell, while I’m here, if you could please give me a couple of good Korean War documentaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

There's something I don't like about how Dawson City: Frozen Time is structured, but it's very interesting .

quote:

It concerns the history of Dawson City, Canada, deep in the Yukon, from its creation during the Klondike Gold Rush culminating in the 1978 discovery of 533 silent film reels, thought to be lost, that had been buried in 1929 in a former swimming pool or hockey rink.[5][6] Along with the lost films, there was also rare footage of other historic events, including the 1919 World Series.[7]

It's a fascinating watch and I would recommend it. Decasia is also very much worth your time if this sort of thing interests you.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 17, 2019