Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

UltraShame posted:

I got to watch the NOVA documentary about their expedition to Everest, when they ended up finding George Mallory's body in 1999. It was great. The amount of corpses frozen forever on the side of the mountain is shocking.

Anyone have any other recommendations for documentaries regarding Mount Everest?

e: added some links for the curious.

Many of the dead on Everest died climbing the glacier, falling between the cracks. Their bodies get ground up by the glacial shifts, repeatedly smashed and pulverized, and then eventually spat out. So, unfortunately, not entombed pristinely forever on the mountain side.

Just, you know, fyi. Since you seemed interested in dead bodies on Everest.

Anyway, not having checked this thread since page 4, any really awesome new space stuff? I've seen Cosmos and most of the older ones. The OP could use an update.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

irrelephant posted:

There are plenty of photographs of bodies on Everest, most huddling in the same position as when they took their last breath. They even become morbid landmarks, such is their permenancy, like ol' Green Boots. They sit there forever frozen, dead bodies right there beside the loving hiking trail because it would require an entire expedition with the sole purpose of just retrieving the body to move it further than a few yards. I followed that Everest...est...est thread and watched tons of the documentaries, films, etc, none of which mentioned any pulverized corpses as far as I can remember :confused: the worst are the close ups of black frostbitten faces with an open mouth silently screaming forever :cry:

Contentwise, I just finished watching The Holy Crusades, which is presented by Terry Jones. Can anyone recommend something in a similar lighthearted tone, but more modern? Any subject is fine. Give me All The Knowledge in an easy to consume format
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXed3tvR_-g
Oh, I never said nobody never died on the mountain itself, just what fate awaited those who died on the glacier.

As for Terry Jones, he does great, lighthearted stuff all the time, although it's rarely modern history. If you have Netflix, up on streaming right now are Terry Jones: Ancient Inventions (three episodes on War, Sex, and City Life), The Hidden History of Rome, The Hidden History of Egypt, and The Story of 1, a PBS special about the number 1.

Many of these are up on Youtube as well https://www.google.com/search?tbm=v...iw=1024&bih=594

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Imapanda posted:

I just finished Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and am feeling this big urge to watch anything else related to the knowledge of the cosmos.

I've already seen Cosmos, and Brian Cox's segments of it. Could any of you recommend some other similar documentaries? I heard there's a Stephen Hawking one? Are there any others? I just don't want to look through 50+ pages of the thread, and I don't want to be reminded of all the :smith:-talk regarding Dear Zachary again.

I actually asked just up the page, and Fayez Butts gave me this

Fayez Butts posted:

I think the current goon favorites are Discovery's How The Universe Works, narrated by Mike Rowe and Into The Universe, narrated by Stephen Hawking and Benedict Cumberbatch (of Sherlock fame).
I checked out the Stephen Hawking one. It's a little sensational (it's only 3 eps, and one is entirely on time travel) but the special effects are at least new.

If you're interested in the pure science without pretty graphics, I highly recommend this Lawrence Krauss lecture, A Universe from Nothing

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Ignatius-J-R posted:

QFT; this is a fantastic lecture.

I've watched it over a dozens times. Glad to hear others dig it as well.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

If there were to be a new thread, it should have a new OP that tries to assemble and organize as many of the links from this thread as possible.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 21, 2012