Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Anyone here see "Dark Side of the Moon"? It was a CBC Passionate Eye "documentary" including interviews and archival footage that were edited in such a way to make it appear that all the major players (Kissinger, Rumsfeld, Aldrin, etc...) acknowledge that the moon landings were faked. It's really very well made and a good case study in how powerful editing really is.

(Just to clarify, it's not real, CBC and the documentary's producers fully accept that the moon landings actually happened)

It's on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Ge8KiaWTA&feature=related

It's pretty funny that conspiracy nuts often point to this documentary as if it were real evidence of a faked moon landing. They use excuses like "it's too good to be fake"

I also highly recommend Winnebago Man. Netflix has the DVD. It is very entertaining.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Speaking of debunking conspiracies, are there any documentaries out there which are about showing how magic tricks/hypnotism are done and so on? I just watched a few Derren Brown, and am really wanting to know how he did things like managing to persuade people to give up their possessions, or convince everyone to do a "seance" all through suggestions without any spiritual interventions.

I'm pretty sure it's this:

All magicians lie. Even when they say they aren't lying.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 30, 2011

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Are there any good documentaries about gangsta rap?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

StickFigs posted:

I've been watching the X-Files lately and now I'm in the mood for some UFO or government conspiracy documentaries.

I'm trying to avoid anything goofy or overly speculative which looks like is about 99% of what my searches bring up. Definitely not looking for anything like Ancient Aliens or anything stupid like that and I've already seen a bunch about the JFK assassination so nothing about that either.

Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura?

Seriously though, anything on these topics are going to be nut job bullshit.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Are there any good documentaries about the Waco siege and Branch Davidians? I have found several online but they all look like conspiracy theory stuff instead of just being a factual account.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I assume you've seen Waco: The Rules Of Engagement.
I have not watched it but the tagline "the shocking truth revealed" made it look like it was infowars.com type stuff. Was that not an accurate assessment?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tenzarin posted:

You know they found him guilty of murdering a reporter in 2005 right? Pretty sure he was a super psychopath.

Guess what the show is about...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cactus posted:

I've seen all the Charlie Brooker stuff so other than that are there any decent documentaries about videogames? I kind of grew up watching them turn from the geeky niche spectrum/amstrad/commodore 64 pixellated poo poo into the multi-genre behemoth they are now and it's been fascinating.

I love Charlie Brooker from screen wipe and dead set. I'm not familiar with his game stuff. What's it called?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Less relevant since he's dead now but Frontline's The Hugo Chavez Show was pretty good.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Terminally Bored posted:

This one's awesome. It's one of these great documentaries where at one point it explodes into something much larger than its initial topic and goes full drama.

Winnebago Man fits in this category too and is pretty good. Not nearly as insane but it goes places I didn't expect at first.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mahoning posted:

It's hard to believe that it's been almost 16 years and there has still been no definitive documentary about September 11th. At this point I almost feel like Ken Burns is the only documentarian that would capture the scope and magnitude of that day. Maybe I'm wrong.

look at this guy that hasn't heard of Loose Change.

In all seriousness it took a lot longer for Ruby Ridge and the Oklahoma City bombing to get good documentaries made (2017!) so I would imagine we just need some more time to pass before something good gets made.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 16, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Unmature posted:

Are there true crime docs that aren't about white trash or OJ?

The killing season on a&e was pretty good. It's got some white trash though. It pretty much comes with the territory.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Dumb is the story of Big Brother Magazine.

https://youtu.be/0jcKEifF0og

Back in 1999 I was fresh outta highschool and worked at the local skate shop despite not knowing how to skate but Big Brother was the coolest. It had tittys and rude words and other cool stuff that a kid who grew up in a strict southern Baptist household never got to see.

The doc gives a pretty insightful look at the people and the motivation behind the production of the magazine.

I worked in the digital department of LFP (their publisher) in 1999 we shot a couple of videos for their website with steve-o before any of them were known outside of skateboard circles. I remember one shoot where he was jumping off a hotel roof into a swimming pool.

Also I remember everyone in the office dying of laughter when they received an email from eBay suspending their account for selling a prohibited item. The item in question: "jar of piss"

That's my big brother story.

Edit: I don't have Hulu so I haven't seen it yet. Was there a talking head in it named Niles Harrison?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 14, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Winnebago Man?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Herv posted:

The Polybius Conspiracy
https://www.radiotopia.fm/showcase/the-polybius-conspiracy/

Ok this BS story was just a 5 minute read a decade ago, but its now a 7 part epic. Something you can listen to while you commute to work.

Pretty much every possible arcade game urban legend wrapped into one, but hey consider this entertainment!

Podcast it up!

There was an hour long youtube episode of Ahoy about this and I can't imagine there being more than an hour of information out there about this...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Did she fall down the stairs?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

baquerd posted:

Why's that? Never heard of him before.

It’s all fake bullshit. Stooges, tricky editing, brute force, etc.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LittleFuryThings posted:

What are the best documentaries that feature musicians writing their songs/working in the studio?

Let It Be.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

My wife and I have been watching Lorena on Amazon and it’s pretty well made and interesting, but we have only watched the first half so far and you can tell they’re padding it with stuff to extend it out to 4 episodes. Lots of repeated quotes within the same episode, etc.

As someone who was a 12 year old at the time it’s an interesting look at what we all joked about at school but it’s a bit disheartening to see attitudes about rape and abuse haven’t really evolved in the public consciousness over the past nearly 30 years as much as I would have hoped.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 6, 2019

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SixPabst posted:

That last scene was the best part of the movie and I’m still not sure the guys doing the experiment “got” it.

What’s this one called?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pianist On Strike posted:

Thanks, that should be fine. My boyfriend watches a ton of true crime stuff/lovely horror movies so I'm sure he'll stumble across this sooner or later. I like true crime for the most part, I just can't handle animal abuse or irl torture.

It showed more of the animal stuff than I expected. You see stiff dead kittens being handled and moved around. And you see the start of the animal torture, just not the animal. Like when he puts the vacuum cleaner on the vacuum bags you can see what he’s doing, just can’t see the cats.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Waltzing Along posted:

I watched "Dumb, the story of Big Brother Magazine."

It was excellent. I wish I had read it when it was new. I kept thinking that Hunter S. Thompson would have loved it. They never call it gonzo journalism, but that is basically what it was.

I worked at Larry Flynt Publications back in 1999 and 2000 as my first real job. I worked in the digital dept as a web developer and my primary duties were taking the Quark Xpress files for the monthly issues of all of their magazines and extracting the text and images from them and inserting them into a terrible content management system called StoryServer. Each of us had 3 magazines we handled the websites for. Mine were Asian Fever, Barely Legal, and Tips and Tricks (the video game magazine you probably didn’t realize was a Flynt publication). We also had a duty of encoding the contents of adult video DVDs for streaming purposes, and were in the early days of creating an Internet “tv channel” with some fake news with naked girls called “channel sex news”

One of the guys on my team was in charge of the monthly conversion of Big Brother magazine so while in communication with the magazine guys one day it was revealed that we had a lot of video equipment that was idle most of the time. They had been wanting to start doing some web exclusive videos anyway so for the first one for the website they brought in one of their friends who didn’t work at the magazine, some unknown crazy fucker calling himself Steve-O to film some dumb stunts with firecrackers and back-flipping off the roof of an apartment building into a pool. Instead of being posted on the website this is one of the videos that ended up being part of the demo reel for MTV.

Soon after that I got married and my wife and I moved to Sweden and I lost touch with all of them. When I moved back to the states in 2002 I saw that Jackass was incredibly popular (it hadn’t caught on in Sweden by that point) and was full of guys that were in and out of our department all the time. Of all the new stuff we were working on back then I didn’t think that “filming an idiot doing stupid poo poo” would have been the one to gain mass popularity first. It took a few more years for video streaming to really catch on, magazines were dying, and some other company had beaten us to the punch with “naked news”

Then everyone clapped and that guys name was Albert Einstein. Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Tl;dr: I was around for the birth of Jackass and no one involved had any idea it would be a thing.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 20, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Panzeh posted:

Probably late on this but I watched OJ: Made in America and was blown away by how good it is after watching the dreck that was The Last Dance.

I’ve only watched 5 episodes of the last dance so far but I think it’s been fantastic. What’s dreck about it to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I was really looking forward to Q: Into the Storm on HBO and now that I’m 4 episodes in I’m pretty annoyed. It’s really slick and everything but 4 episodes in they haven’t even done a small 3 minute segment on what Tye Q followers actually believe. Bits and pieces are interspersed throughout in talking head segments but just a quick outline of what the followers actually say the conspiracy actually is would go a long way.

It’s clearly trying to make the people running 8chan look ridiculous, it would only help that by doing a little tiny segment saying “and this is what all that q research on 8chan is actually talking about” to drive home just how dumb the whole loving thing is.

As it stands now at 4 episodes in it’s just a slicky produced garbage documentary about 8chan with a side of “tech giants shouldn’t silence people”

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 20, 2021