Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Baron Bifford posted:

I just watched this great documentary on the Atkins diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laMuyJhMcE0

The Atkins diet is this popular high-protein, low-carb diet that has proven surprisingly effective despite traditional wisdom that low calories are the only way to lose weight. Early in the program, Atkins was doubted because his diet seemed to contradict the first law of thermodynamics: energy can't be destroyed, so if you consume more calories they must go to your hips because they cannot vanish into thin air. I'm always wary of applying this law to situations because the world is a bit complex. All that time I was thinking "Well maybe the calories pass into the poo without being absorbed. Perhaps the energy-bearing chemicals in meats are harder to digest." The documentary never confronted this thought. The documentary eventually concluded that protein is an appetite suppressant and that the Atkins dieters were actually eating less. Still, was I wrong to think what I thought?

I think there was a link from somewhere earlier in this thread, or the Paula Deen thread, from a doctor giving a presentation on nutrition's chemistry and the body's absorption of calories being unequal based upon chemical composition of food. I highly recommend Sugar: The Bitter Truth, found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU