Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mouse Bite posted:

Thin (link: http://documentaryheaven.com/thin/) It follows a group of women undergoing inpatient treatment for eating disorders. Really powerful stuff.
Oh MAN I love a skinny girl with a self-image problem. They're like the weak sheep of a herd.

I love documentaries, but there's only so many war/government/big business documentaries that I can take, and then kind of start to give up on poo poo. So hey, come on. More documentaries about sex and titties and go karts and snickers bars.

Evolution and Sex Documentary part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQ_3cBGhmA

What Makes You Sexy pt.1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JSqpCjbdcM&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=0C78E5D7AEE709AC

My Big Breasts And Me -- NWS for TITTAYS
http://www.guba.com/watch/3000106762/BBC-My-Big-Breasts-and-Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dead Cow posted:

Dogs Decoded is streaming on Netflix. Came up pretty recently though.
This was awesome. I wasn't a dog person until I got a Labrador/greyhound puppy. That fucker is insane. This doc was fascinating.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lone Rogue posted:

It's quite amazing, the human mind. Because they told me after the faith healer, she did seem like she was better. She was happy, active and the colour in her skin seemed to come back. But it was all just in her head. The cancer was getting worse and worse and she just wasn't showing it.
Okay - now - bear with me just a second here. If I was dying of cancer and had the choice of body-wrecking chemo and radiation for another 12 months, and then death, OR 6 months of happiness in denial and then a fast drop into the coffin... having seen a girlfriend choose the misery of chemo and death, I'm going to go with happy denial.

That said, I don't need faith healing to put me in the river of denial.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I finally watched Exit Through The Gift Shop.

I gotta say - God drat. After all the hype -- I really had zero interest in graffiti artists, and a documentary about a documentary sounded pretty dull as well -- but drat - that movie was awesome.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo.
http://documentaryheaven.com/the-perfect-vagina/

holy sweet jesus. This is a documentary about vaginaplasty. They SHOW a girl getting her girl bits trimmed. WOW drat. NOT hot at all. Very depressing.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 24, 2011

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

These Loving Eyes posted:

Answering my own request if someone else happened to be interested: Tom Downd and the Language of Music (trailer only, sadly). The same guy who worked with atom bombs engineered a hell of a lot of good records. Great documentary going through his whole career.

Still, I'm open for suggestions if anyone happens to know any other good docs about music in general.
Thanks for this. I think I saw the whole thing on Netflix and initially thought it was another poof piece making some label giant feel better about how he raped artists (I'm just saying - there's a lot of "hey I made a big contribution behind my desk" music documentaries out there) but this one was fantastic. Cats like this (that's right I said "cats") are the ones that took those raw artists and somehow educated them while keeping that rawness.

Sure, he's no Quincy Jones...

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WouldDesk posted:

I was curious as to why nobody had mentioned that yet. I expected them to walk in there and tell him how disgusting he is and how they are no longer going to be silent and let this cycle continue. I guess a small bit off that came out when they got drunk on beer at the middle-of-the-forest funeral . That made it extra creepy.
I'm convinced that kind of attack on a dying perverted old fucker only happens in the movies. All of these women (and men) were scarred and damaged to the point that right and wrong aren't measured by the same methods most people use. Their dad was flawed, but in their minds, maybe not enough to make a scene in a hospital or on film. You could see them all draw inward as they went to see him - some of them gathering the courage just to walk up to him.

It would have been a greater film for that, but I admire the filmmaker for being unrelenting prior to that gathering.

Oh and ps holy gently caress what a goddamn movie. I'm going to go hug my kids and tell them I love them, but from a respectful distance.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Last Days Here - just caught this on Netflix.

In this poignant documentary portrait, an aged and gaunt Bobby Liebling, the former lead singer of the heavy metal act Pentagram, rallies to restart his life after decades of disappointment and drug addiction.

So sure, it's the last days of a rock n roll has been who's done too many drugs and we get to watch him as he O.D.s, while talking about how he should have been hailed as the next Ozzy.

I loved it. I kept waiting for him to die. I hate to say it, but, with the title of the movie and the steady footage of him smoking crack, it seemed pretty obvious that it was going to happen at any moment in the film, and the rest of the movie would be other metal has-beens talking about how Bobby changed their life.

But alas! Without giving away too much of the story - it was a great story about him, as well as the kid who spent 2 years trying to pull him out of addiction and get him back on stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCbwweCoOc4

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Last night I watched Surviving Progress on Netflix streaming.

If you've ever felt like we are a people who are smart and innovative enough to solve even the toughest of problems, go watch this movie. It'll break your spirit. You'll want to give away everything you own and dig a bomb shelter.

After seeing the movie, I decided to start getting rid of a lot of my extra poo poo. I gave away my Miata this morning. Go ahead, laugh. But I love that car.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

McBeth posted:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Cleanflix/70123263?trkid=7728646

Clean Flicks, -the small video rental store in Utah that started the R rating scrubbing of movies for nice Mormon families. They aren't supposed to watch R rated movies (see: This Film is Not Yet Rated for more on ratings bullshit) It's really interesting, and I am ashamed to have lived in that area for a while. There were many Christ-like families were participating in the owner/s breaking of copyright law, well beyond the uncertainty of the situation.

I sided with directors on this one, it's their creative work and video rental owners were cutting out the swearing and sex, violence gets a pass apparently. Also the Mormons who rented and bought the sanitized movies, really sticking with the spirit of the law there right? Well, the ending was complete schadenfreude for me, and it was delicious.
I watched this. Really liked it. I just kept hoping for the ending to reverse and Daniel was innocent and just framed by the other store owners. Would have been way cooler.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HipGnosis posted:

Thank you for this. Watched it last night. Really fascinating. He paid cash for that house and then put a mortgage on it to put the money back in his time share company. This is the same guy who sent the email to his employees saying he'd start layoffs if Obama won. The good news is that since November, he's actually been able to give all of his existing employees a 5% raise.
The movie really humanizes the mad wealthy out there. I actually feel for them both. And the wife - drat if she can't stop spending money while he's headed to the grave trying to save his company. So yeah, I feel a little less hate for the rich.

A little.

Up til I recall that he takes sole credit for getting W elected.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 2, 2013

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The scene where she goes to Wal-Mart and just loads up 7 shopping carts with tacky Christmas presents kills me.
And then they show the room FULL of tacky poo poo from Wal Mart - like 20 bikes. WTF.

Oh poo poo! His daughter just ripped him a new rear end for being a bitch! drat! I thought the flick was over. But no!

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 2, 2013

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Side By Side
I love documentaries about movie making. This one is pretty interesting about Digital vs. Film:

quote:

Keanu Reeves produced and narrates this engaging documentary about the history of digital cinema technology and its vast impact on the movie industry. Despite the digital takeover, many fans still embrace the unique qualities of celluloid film.

Wait what? Keanu Reeves? Yep. He's making a movie about movies and interviews some great directors, editors, cameramen. They compare the old movies to the new ones, the way digital has made it better, and worse, blah blah go watch the movie. It's on Netflix Streaming.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Beauty Is Embarassing - the Wayne White story - this poo poo is fascinating and amazing.

He:
- set designed Pee Wee's playhouse
- puppets for Pee Wee
- contributed art to to Big Time by Peter Gabriel & Tonight Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins
- Paints those crazy word paintings.

His life is nothing short of inspiring if you have any interest in art. Dude re-invented himself three or four times over.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I didn't really like the second half of either of the docs. They relied too heavily on moment-of-death footage, and not enough reporting about said footage.

PS I like the doc Kumare, but that really has nothing to do with the previous statement.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 29, 2013

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

penismightier posted:

I want you to know that this is a pretty bad and quite puzzling post.
Yeah. I know. I watched the docs around 2AM last night. Been missing a lot of sleep. So that post is definitely a freestyle thoughtbubble kind of a thing. I could go back and edit it up if you'd like.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Really enjoyed This Film is Not Yet Rated. Really felt like Dick took no prisoners but the MPA did themselves no favors.
I loved it.

But, like with any great documentary, I always wonder how many things change as a result of documentaries?

Supersize Me for example. I remember hearing that McDonalds changed their practice after the movie came out, so that they'd only supersize the meal if the customer requested it... (but I notice they still offer it).

Can you think of any other significant changes as a result of a documentary? I don't mean a lawsuit settlement, but a complete overhaul of a system? The ratings system for instance - upon watching Not Yet Rated, I was positive the MPAA would overhaul everything they're doing, down to changing the ratings themselves. But nnnnnnope.

Give me some examples. What docs changed a fundamental value or law?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

acephalousuniverse posted:

The fact that it didn't like singlehandedly erase the MPAA from existence is maybe a little too much to expect.
Maybe? But when the movie shines a light on just how out of touch they are? I was hoping for a complete re-vamp.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's a real documentary? I'm serious. Nearly every single one I can think of has been manipulated to hell.

The article gives a great shout out:

The Article posted:

Unlike a credible documentary maker like Louis Theroux’s approach which is to observe and ask neutral questions, thus letting the audience make up their own mind about the issue...

http://whatculture.com/film/5-reasons-why-bowling-for-columbine-is-not-a-real-documentary.php

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
my posts are lame this week. So. edit. clear. move on.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 30, 2013

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Railing Kill posted:

Even though it's made 20 years earlier, I thought The War Game's reenactment scenes were more brutal than Threads, as grim as that was. It's as realistic as it can be within the confines of reason and 1960's special effects.

Queue up something funny or light to watch afterward, though. It's right there with Dear Zachary to me. The film literally ends with the narrator asking, "would mankind continue in spite of all this, or would the living simply envy the dead and opt out of their new reality?"

There isn't a :smith: big enough for The War Game.
Swear ta god, this is what I thought you were talking about.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I tried watching the Boondock Saints this morning - it was godawful. I mean, God Bless Willem DaFoe for committing to it, but the writing was loving bad. The whole thing was like a movie studio had 15 million dollars they HAD to get rid of, and found this sap to think he was good, instead of a tax loop hole or some poo poo.

So now I'm watching the documentary. Or trying. Listening to him talk himself up, after watching the goddamn horrible job he did with writing, it's painful.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

exquisite tea posted:

Even riding the dovetails of Pulp Fiction knockoffs, it seems like Miramax went especially overboard greenlighting a script written by somebody with no prior filmmaking experience, then also asking him to direct, on top of buying out his bar and signing his lovely band to write the score. I'd love to hear their end of the bargain because that seems absolutely ludicrous to me. Miramax could have given the script to any competent director in Hollywood at the time, and his/her crew could have reworked it into something halfway decent. It's so insane that it feels like a Trading Places-style bet made between the brothers Weinstein.
I think part of the glory of Pulp Fiction was finding Tarantino and letting him run wild. If you've read the story behind that script, (PF) most studios passed on it and didn't expect it to do jack poo poo. Anytime there's an amazing blow up like this, I'm guessing most studios just cover their eyes and say "we know jack poo poo, the public wants crap, lets give em crap."

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stare-Out posted:

Has anyone seen Blackfish yet? It's only now coming to theaters proper but debuted at Sundance in January. It seems interesting enough, very much along the lines of The Cove and such. I just watched the trailer and despite being inexplicably cut like some kind of an action/thriller trailer, it seems pretty interesting.
Holy poo poo that movie looks good. In a bad way, like, terrible how they treat them, but drat, I gotta see that.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stellar Curiosity posted:

Other than Maxed Out, are there any more recent docs (post 2008) in a similar vein you'd recommend?

Freakonomics maybe?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm on a mad crazy movie-documentary kick. Making-ofs or history of directors or writers.

Anybody got any good ones to recommend?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bolek posted:

If by good you mean making you want to board the next bus to Boston to find Troy Duffy and drop a piano on him - yes quite good.
Yes. I saw the doc before seeing the movie, and if the movie was EVER any good, it sucked buckets of donkey rear end because of my seeing the doc first.

On a completely unrelated note, VICE documentaries. Holy loving poo poo. Why isn't any other news magazine (Nova, 48 Hours, 60 Minutes) doing anything like these people? I'm watching the series on Liberia now. Jesus Christ. This guy has balls the size of Kenya or he's got AIDS so he just don't care if he dies. He goes into the craziest situations for a story. I watched the entire train ride to Russia's outback where there were Chinese labor camps, and, drat.

And now, this one where he goes to Liberia. That country - he nailed it - it's literally post-armageddon. If you want to know what the world will be like when all civilization fails, look to Liberia.

http://www.vice.com/the-vice-guide-to-travel/the-vice-guide-to-liberia-1

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ChocNitty posted:

I am intrigued by the Juggalo. This is an interesting documentary about them entitled "American Juggalo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXRAQyiqx-M
Christ. I've been following the wrong goddamn bands.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay - but - devil's advocate to the devil here - reading that article (the first one) is like reading a letter from Rudy Juliani in response to a documentary exposing the rampant crime and drug use in New York City. If the point of the Vice doc was to show the good AND the bad in Liberia, that'd be one thing. But he's in no way trying to showcase the good of a thing. There's so many other docs out there that sugarcoat the good of a given location.

I realize he's not giving a fair view of both sides in any conversation. He's showing the Bad poo poo that's happening. It's like the PETA folks that go film the pig slaughters. I absolutely realize the only way to get tasty, delicious bacon is by killing pigs. So those videos from PETA are real footage, but they're not showing the full story. Same thing here, except these are humans, and it's footage of a beach, covered in human turds. Next to what looks like acres of garbage.

The GOOD that he's doing, in my mind, is bringing horrible things to light. Once I watch his shock and awe introduction to Liberia, my interest is piqued and I'll absolutely go digging for more details. PBS goes so far out of it's way to remain objective in political documentaries - giving both sides the chance to respond, that the horrors that are going on get lots in the debate.

But, that said, I'll absolutely watch these Vice docs with a grain of salt. I'm still absolutely impressed that this guy doesn't make docs using existing footage with voiceovers. He goes there, he sees the poo poo with his own eyes and then discusses what's going on. I absolutely realize it's a partial opinion.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
drat IT MAN, I ONLY HAVE SO MANY HOURS IN MY LIFE.

so many documentaries, so many responsibilities to ignore...

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That drat Satyr posted:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4b7RMw0rfLabxilQZCP9K-Gl-kAKgQo4

From the description:
The incredible story of Vivian Maier, the mysterious nanny who died in 2009 leaving behind a secret hoard - thousands of stunning photographs. Never seen in her lifetime, they were found by chance in a Chicago storage locker and auctioned off cheaply.

This was incredible. Absolutely fascinating.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I realize that Dear Zachary is a sad and depressing move, but the most depressing documentary in the world is Jedi Junkies.

Holy Christ on a star of david. It makes me want to open a vein. I mean, yeah, Dear Zachary has that punch in the gut at the ending, but this movie is like getting run over by a steam roller every two minutes.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo.

The Weird World Of BLOWFLY.
(I found the whole thing on Youtube, in 6 parts. It's also on Netflix)

We gonna take it to the stage. George Clinton is to Playboy as Blowfly is to Hustler.
(the very first song playing during the opening credits, he's singing over a disco funk groove, "Girrrrl let me cum in yo mouf")

I have a new idol.

Netflix posted:

Time hasn't mellowed caped comedian Blowfly -- aka Clarence Reid -- who's still dishing up lewd and rude rap ditties that could make folks half his age blush. This unflinching biopic follows the 69-year-old funk machine as he mounts a comeback tour.

one comment on there sums up the doc. It's not only about a 69-yr-old funk legend with a potty mouth, but also the challenges of taking a niche performance out on the road.

quote:

The story is absolutely about Clarence Reid. Its a documentary that tells about his influence as an artist with both his personas. It also tells about his failures as a person and as an artist who didn't know how to handle what he earned. That is the reality of Clarence and I think the documentary accurately depicts what his life was and is. Clarence is a complicated person and a unique artist, and also a difficult person to work with. His relationship with Tom is documented in the film because that is who he is working with now. Tom is also difficult to work with and not the best manager, but he has tried to rejuvenate Clarence and Blowfly by creating new material and widening his audience, though it has not always been successful. He has brought them to Europe twice and Australia twice and all over the states, sometimes to small audiences sometimes to large ones. There is no exploitation here, Tom is trying to keep Clarence working so that he can earn some money. Watch the film again and you may realize a little more about Clarence and his current situation.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 24, 2014

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
When I was a kid, I found an album titled ALL THIS AND WORLD WAR II: Sountrack It was one of those old box sets - a cardboard box that houses a couple of albums and a booklet. I had no idea what the was about, but at the time I was in love with the Beatles, and the album was maybe two bucks.

My copy of the album disappeared a couple of years later, but I remember a lot of the covers. Around the same time, the BeeGees released the horrific Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. (Though, looking over the songlist below, they're on this as well. I wonder if it's the same tracks).

According to a wikipedia page:

Wiki posted:

All This and World War II is a 1976 musical documentary that juxtaposes Beatles songs, performed by a number of musicians, with World War II newsreel footage and 20th Century Fox films from the 1940s. It lasted two weeks in cinemas and was quickly sent into storage.

The original intention of the filmmakers was to use actual Beatles music in the film. The decision to use other artists covering Beatles music was made by the film's producers after they realised additional money could be made through a soundtrack album. The decision was a sound one, as the soundtrack actually generated more revenue than the film.

The album reached number 23 on the UK album charts, with a total of seven weeks on the chart.[2] Elton John’s rendition of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was previously released as a single in 1974 and had been a number one hit.[4] Rod Stewart’s version of "Get Back" was subsequently released and became a UK hit single.

The Bee Gees, who contributed three songs, would go on to star in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, another film that exclusively used Beatles songs.

To recap. Beatles covers by Warner Brothers Pop Stars of 1975, WW2 Newsreel Footage, and clips from WW2 Movies. Documentary? Art flick? Seventies version of rock videos?

So. Maybe it doesn't count as a documentary, exactly? I googled it today, (following the Beatles show from last night) and was surprised to find the video is up on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddtDTy_UuDA

Track list (I bolded some of the more interesting tracks that I recall. I'm watching the video now, I don't remember half of these.
"Magical Mystery Tour" – Ambrosia – 3:52
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" – Elton John – 6:15
Features John Lennon (under the pseudonym "Dr. Winston O'Boogie") on lead guitar & backing vocals.
"Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight" – The Bee Gees – 3:17
"I Am the Walrus" – Leo Sayer – 3:49
"She's Leaving Home" – Bryan Ferry – 3:07
"Lovely Rita" – Roy Wood – 1:13
"When I'm Sixty-Four" – Keith Moon – 2:36
"Get Back" – Rod Stewart – 4:24
"Let It Be" – Leo Sayer – 3:43
"Yesterday" – David Essex – 2:44
"With a Little Help from My Friends/Nowhere Man" – Jeff Lynne – 6:56
"Because" – Lynsey De Paul – 3:24
"She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" – The Bee Gees – 1:54
"Michelle" – Richard Cocciante – 4:00
"We Can Work It Out" – The Four Seasons – 2:39
"The Fool On The Hill" – Helen Reddy – 3:37
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" – Frankie Laine – 3:27
"Hey Jude" – The Brothers Johnson – 4:58
"Polythene Pam" – Roy Wood – 1:30
"Sun King" – The Bee Gees – 2:03
"Getting Better" – Status Quo – 2:19
"The Long and Winding Road" – Leo Sayer – 4:47
"Help!" – Henry Gross – 3:07
"Strawberry Fields Forever" – Peter Gabriel – 2:30
"A Day in the Life" – Frankie Valli – 4:04
"Come Together" – Tina Turner – 4:08
"You Never Give Me Your Money" – Will Malone & Lou Reizner – 3:04
"The End" – The London Symphony Orchestra – 2:26

EDIT: if you feel I should move this elsewhere, since it's vaguely a documentary, let me know, I'll replace it with some other documentary.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 10, 2014

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WebDog posted:

It was some poor attempt to latch onto the stoner market based on previous films like 2001 and The Holy Mountain.
I have no clue at all on any of it. I'm thinking WB had a stable of stars, some free studio time, and then wanted some vehicle, (pre-MTV) to launch it. Over bong hits and thick rails, somebody suggested using free footage, mixed with WB's own dead WWII film footage.

I kind of watched it, only for the "Oh my childhood!" memories of the music. Other than that, whoah poo poo that's not a documentary of any sort. It's pop Koyaanisqatsi

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ropes4u posted:

American Addict:We have gone from being the land of the free to the land of the addicted

I prefer to think of it as the land of the most chemically well-adjusted, but hey, potato tomato whatevs. I wonder if legal weed will have an impact on that number in the next decade. I'm not a huge "hemp evangelist", but I do know a lot of folks who seem to get along without insurance, as long as they get their vitamin weed.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cloudchamber posted:

It's not quite a documentary but you might enjoy The Hellstrom Chronicle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R8UN9zGD04&list=PL51DB37AC9199C74A

Holy poo poo this thread never fails me.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just watched "Hear My Train A Coming" on Netflix again, and, goddamn, I would love to watch a Hendrix documentary that focuses on the time from Woodstock up to his death... Band Of Gypsys and all the recordings at Electric Ladyland.

Anything out there like that?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For a great insight into television, here's Seinfelf: How It Began. It's a great insight into how any sitcom goes from pitch to development, to pilot, etc etc. drat I had no idea it was so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8_2hPjljag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There was a documentary on PBS decades ago on The Heart Of Darkness, the book, and it paralleled Apocalypse Now. It wasn't the movie about the horror of making the movie - this thing focused more on the book. At least I could've sworn it did. Any search for "The Heart Of Darkness" typically returns Apocalypse Now.

Anybody have a clue what I'm talking about?