Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacerta
Oct 17, 2005

Baby, tonight the world belongs to you and I.
Anyone know of any documentaries about what people see when they nearly die, or when their brain dies for a few minutes?

There's one from like 1978 and I'm looking for something a little more recent than 40 years old.

Something with a scientific bent to it, if it's possible, but I'll take what I can get. I'm just curious about what people think they see when their brain throws a fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacerta
Oct 17, 2005

Can we please not get into a debate on the merits of religion?

Here, have this documentary called Living With Us that's about animals and their trainers. It's really dawwwwww-worthy :3: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/living-with-us/

Lacerta
Oct 17, 2005

o3o posted:

Not a documentary, but a very interesting presentation: The Banishment of Beauty (playlist) is about traditional figurative painting vs. modern art. Being a huge fan of classical painting and an art history nerd, I loved every word of this, and agree with all of it.

This should be very interesting to watch even if you don't know much about art (probably even more interesting that way). I can't recommend it enough.

It's about an hour long.

I paint realism. This documentary is a crock of "ig'nant and proud" bullshit.

He showed some abstract works that were moving and beautiful, then dismissed them as paint on ragged cardboard. He's got no taste at all, can he not see the mixture of textures and colours, how the ragged edges and slap-dash painting contribute to a sense of frantic urgency? The guy acts like a painting isn't art unless there's a naked woman on it.

Then he showed some stunning works that experiment with layers of paint, using broad, unnatural slashes of colours: bright yellows and vibrant purples, but at the same time you can see that the figure in the painting is standing in deep shadow. He can't see the skill that takes?

Then he shows some boring, paint-by-numbers demi-realistic landscapes and calls that technically accomplished. Part of technical accomplishment is knowing what to paint, and a generic post-card picture of some mountain mesas in standard yellow-light, blue-shadow is dulllll. Those pictures were done and done better by people in the past when they didn't have cameras. Now we want to see HOW each artist views the world.

It's not that hard to understand, but abstract art really scares some people.

edit: wot r grammer

Lacerta
Oct 17, 2005

DonBalle posted:

That documentary seemed to be more about the 3 people that film it, than the actual polution. Part 3 has some eye-openers, but the two first parts can easily be skipped.

Thank you for this. One of the things I hate is when the documentarists talk about themselves and their reactions more than the actual subject matter.