Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I watched Oklahoma City and it was 'good' as in well put together, you know what I mean. All the PBS ones are. Some of the images from it I remember being absolutely terrified of seeing on TV when it happened (I was 9 back then), and it might have gotten a bit more squawk in the news of my hometown longer than other cities because McVeigh was a local boy. There's also a doc up for Newtown but yeah, I'm not sure if I'm down with watching that... ever. It's got strong reviews, and focuses on the Newtown community trying to pick up after the crisis, but it just seems like it's going to be too much of a goddamn gut punch to sit through.

One to toss in the 'pass' column is definitely The Blackout. I mean listen to this description: A citywide power outage merged with a heatwave, a serial killer and understaffed police precincts to create a harrowing blackout in 1977 New York. I mean, that's a spicy meatball, right? Nah, it was just really about the 1977 NYC power outage, that part about the serial killer? One sentence 'you gotta remember, this was the time that David Berkowitz, the Son of Sam murders were taking place'. And, really, it just focused too much on the looting. The description seemed much more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, at the start of Icarus I was like 'oh okay, cool' but then WOW it really went off the rails.

I was surprised Grigory wasn't found 'dead under mysterious circumstances'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I stumbled upon the six-part documentary Time: The Kalief Browder Story.

A sixteen year old kid is arrested for 'attempting to steal a backpack' and spends 1,111 days in Riker's island, and spends an insane amount of time (like 800+ days) in solitary confinement before the charges are dropped.

It was absolutely horrifying, not just the jail part, but showing how much he struggled after he was released. It's an absolute goddamn gut-punch too because in part five, things sound like they're turning around for him. He's got like a 3.6 GPA in community college, an attorney has taken up his case, but then he commits suicide in his mother's house. I actually let out an 'oh noooooo' at that, loving horrifying and heartbreaking.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ropes4u posted:

Facing Darkness on Netflix is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster.

In the spring of 2014, while the world stood by as Ebola consumed West Africa, one ministry stepped forward to provide aid and comfort. When two of their own medical personnel became infected with Ebola, Samaritan’s Purse, led by Franklin Graham, sprang into action to attempt the impossible – transport and cure. With only faith and determination, this is the story of how a committed team moved mountains to make way for a miracle. Following this moving story, audiences will hear from Samaritan’s Purse President, Franklin Graham, and Dr. Kent Brantly, the first American to survive Ebola, regarding their time in Africa, the organization’s mission, and their lives since the high drama of the epidemic.

Hah, even though I followed the news closely during the Ebola epidemic (and it was obvious that if they were being interviewed, they survived, but it was still chilling to watch, especially as the doctors/workers were describing how burnt out, exhausted and hopeless they were starting to get.

I do knock it a little bit for focusing so heavily on Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol, but only because their stories were so heavily covered in the press, as well as the Zmapp stuff and negotiating how to bring them back to the US. I would have liked if they had gone more in depth with the Liberian arm of the group, like Barbara, the nurse that caught it (after how harrowing/agonizingly in-depth the story was for the two Americans, her survival was basically 'Well, I said I will not die. And I didn't.') and Joseph the worker who at the beginning basically kicks the doc off with a laundry list of how many of his family members died.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I didn't know about his suicide.

He was younger than me. gently caress.

Considering they had all the taped interviews with him and others, I didn't even consider 'oh this was put together post-mortem'. That depressed the Hell out of me. Definitely the wrong choice for 'I'm in a lovely mood and don't want to leave the house; I'll watch a doc'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

In the continuation of 'I make poor life choices in picking documentaries', Audrie and Daisy is goddamn infuriating. It looks at two cases regarding instances where Highschool girls were passed out/incapacitated, were assaulted or raped, photographed/filmed and the aftermath since social media and small town poo poo is just a mess.

Audrie's story doesn't last too long, but Daisy focuses on the 'Maryvale rape case' from a few years ago. Anonymous took it up as a cause as charges were initially dropped due to 'lack of evidence' (like all of these 'promising athlete rapes intoxicated girl' stories tend to go).

If you're ever thinking to yourself 'yanno, I want to know how it feels to want to strangle someone' rough it out until you get to some hot takes from the Maryvale sheriff...

E: oh boy! In the aftermath of the case, the victim's family's HOUSE WAS BURNED DOWN

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm really enjoying the False Confessions series on Netflix. I'm a Sucker for true crime, and it's a really slick and great show to make you angry before bed

Speaking of false confessions 'Out of Thin Air' is just nuts. In Iceland in the 70s, two men went missing. When a woman was busted for embezzlement, the two missing men were brought up, and after mentioning a nightmare she had, the police basically got the woman (and later the five accused men) to completely doubt their own memories and start confessing/implicating each other.

One that isn't horribly depressing and is actually a quick little watch clocking in about 45 minutes is 'Long Shot'. A man is accused of murdering a key witness to a crime his cousin was involved in. But it couldn't have been him, he took his daughter to a Dodgers game that day. But the prosecution isn't convinced.

The amount of 'you have proof but it's not enough' the defense attorney faced was nuts.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I ran through I am Innocent and holy poo poo it was both infuriating and hearth-breaking.

Basically it New Zealand people falsely accused of crimes and eventually acquitted. The George Gwaze one was particularly awful.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ignis posted:

I just resubbed to HBO for Westworld, what's a good documentary to watch in there? Open to most topics except graphic animal cruelty, I can't really stomach watching stuff like that.

Andre the Giant one was good. And I think ‘There’s Something Wrong With Aunt Diane’ is still up, just fair warning, you see a dead body towards the end.

We tried watching a few episodes of The Traffickers, we had to skip the first two because the first one was rhino horns, with like, graphic images of a rhino laying on the ground with a big chunk of its face cut off, the second one was Pangolin meat trafficking.

My friend said ‘okay, how about the guns episode? I’m sure they’re not killing animals to smuggle guns!’

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I’m watching Finder’s Keepers on Prime and I’m loving dying here.

A man bought a storage unit in an auction, and found a smoker which contained a human leg.

The amputee discussing what he did with his leg leading it to ending up in the smoker is loving ridiculous.

They start fighting for custody of a severed, mummified leg

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 22, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It was both silly but also got kind of sad as it went on.

John’s reason for wanting to keep it/get it back was still pretty weird, but I could kind of understand it given the circumstances of losing his leg.

Shannon just struck me as just... really pathetic. Thinking that displaying a man’s mummified leg will be his claim to fame because he’s just so goddamn bitter and desperate to be something.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MeinPanzer posted:

I absolutely don't buy the DA's explanation, but I am still perplexed by even the most plausible accident scenario. I guess it's just easier than I thought to severely lacerate your head down to the bone.

The skin on the head and scalp is really thin and there isn’t really fat/muscle under it. I dinged my head on a faucet when I was a kid, and even though it only took a few stitches to close, it was down to the bone.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I started watching Paradise Lost on HBO, and I’m on part 2 now.

Holy poo poo the stepdad of one of the victims just basically screams ‘I’m the murderer’ at me. And that was even before he gets weirder in part 2.

E: fair warning, they do not censor the little boys’ naked corpses.

E: holy poo poo, the big twist in episode three; the previously suspicious stepdad going all super-sleuth

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 31, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Groovelord Neato posted:

you actually see the dead kids within the first minute. at least with there's something wrong with aunt diane it's at the end and you don't see the kids.

That part of Aunt Diane caught me off guard too. I know Paradise Lost gave a disclaimer at the beginning, but I still wasn’t expecting nude 8-year old corpses on video.

I was just loving heartbroken watching them. Damien saying his son was now the age he had been when he was locked up, and Jason’s ‘no justice’ discussion after their Alford pleas were horrific.

I have a question regarding crime documentaries on wrongful convictions. Are there any where when new evidence comes to light, the original prosecutor isn’t maintaining ‘well, I did the right thing’?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

wavy gravy posted:

I'm looking for a particular documentary about alcoholism. I'm sure it was an iteration of this thread from years ago where I first came across it. Ive tried a bunch of search terms but not found it yet.
There was the usual hospital ward with longtime alcoholics but what stood out was the binge drinker. She never saw herself as an alcoholic, because she didn't need alcohol and would only drink on the weekends.
I remember a poor dude just chugging horrible wine in his home, the kind of chugging where you could tell he was retching at the same time.
I'm sure it was a UK based doc, and I quite clearly remember the binge drinker puking up tons of blood in the hospital.
Any ideas?

At least the binge drinker sounds like one part of Risky Drinking; she said 'I'll only drink on the weekends when out with friends!' *sloppy crying and vomiting in a dorm bathroom*. But then again, a lot of binge drinkers seem to have that sort of mindset.

It wasn't U.K. though, so I'm probably wrong; it's still a good documentary. There was also a 'wine mom' (that got too drunk to go to her daughter's eighth grade graduation) and a guy that had to slam six beers on his lunch break to keep his shakes at bay.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BonoMan posted:

And The Dawn Wall. Which was better than Free Solo imo.

Thank you for mentioning this, I was blanking in the name. My boyfriend likes these sort of documentaries, I really don't (and I'm terrified of heights to boot), and I think the reason I didn't care for Free Solo was because I remember seeing The Dawn Wall and going 'oh that's interesting'.

I guess seeing another doc about free solo climbing within a year of seeing the first one just bored me.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Vincent posted:

Any feel good docs you peeps recommend? This year has been a shitshow so far and most the documentaries named here are incredibly depressing.

Vannin. It's relatively short, and it's about people that go to events/meetups for the tricked out van community that had its heyday in the 70s.

Most of the people are in their 50s/60s but there's some younger ones and they're just discussing why they do it, what they love about the life and the others in the community.

It's pretty :haw:.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Sometimes when I can't sleep, I'll put on a documentary at random, and last night The House of Suh was recommended and I went 'Sure why not?'

It was one of the most :smith: documentaries I've seen. Even though the subject, Andrew Suh, copped to his crime and is serving 80 years for murdering his sister's fiancé , I just kept going in my mind 'Holy poo poo, give him clemency!'

I also felt like he was manipulated into it by his own sister because she egged him on saying her fiancé was responsible for murdering their mother when Andrew was 13; but signs point to the sister and fiancé being in cahoots in order to get at the family fortune.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

:agreed:

I'm 4 episodes into the Staircase doc, it's baffling how these crooked assholes get away with half the poo poo they do. Same with West of Memphis and other docs where someone is accused, the DA/judge refuses outright to look at any new evidence or admit wrongdoing, yet nobody ever gets punished or disbarred from working in law. My first thought after seeing all those docs was "if Trump's gonna build a loving wall, start with the entire border of Texas, then across to Arkansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina instead"

I watched a doc recently about a wrongfully convicted man called Time Simply Passes. The man, James Richardson was railroaded for allegedly poisoning his children's grits with pesticide.

Even though a babysitter made their lunch, she was never investigated. The pesticide was 'found' in his shed by a local drunk though the police had searched it several times with no success.

He was in prison for 21 years, and the DA refused to grant him a new trial even after the babysitter was in a nursing home with Alzheimer's and kept repeating 'I killed those kids'. It was infuriating; but of course the prosecutor maintained 'Nope, I did a bang up job!'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Were you saying 'boooooooooo' or 'das booooooooooot?'

:cmon:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Posting from the general streaming thread

Maybe check out the 'American Experience' series. There's a bunch on Hulu, and a decent amount are free on PBS. Big grab bag of topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

We recently watched Flex Is King (about the type of dance) and while it kind of meanders and seems a bit directionless, I absolutely loved watching it.

I watched America's Best Dance Crew back in the day, and was telling my boyfriend that I had really like the one team that was heavy on flexing, and no poo poo, one of the guys they follow was on the Ringmasters.

So-so documentary, kick-rear end dance moves.