Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.

College Slice

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It really is, and it sucks. It's kind of understandable because schools don't have the resources to give problem students the individualized attention they need to help them correct their behavior so they just cram them into normal classrooms under the guise of "mainstreaming" without providing the support, training, and environment necessary to help correct this behavior. So you wind up with a horrible toxic pressure cooker where you're on your own with administrators above you demanding better stats and the students below you getting bored and indignant at having to do boring test prep and channeling that into being disruptive or catatonic. When you put soldiers in that position you wound up with Abu Ghraib, when you put middle management in that position you get breakdowns and workplace shootings, and when you put teachers in that position you get people who are all too happy to intimidate and antagonize a small handful of kids who "deserve" it for the sake of keeping them from disrupting the rest of the kids who behave.

Wow this is a great post and I'm going to quote it elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.

College Slice

Don't dog breeds get selected and conditioned for certain behavioural characteristics as well as physical ones? If so it shouldn't it be possible for such traits to be passed on in other animals?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.

College Slice

I'm watching Mitt and there's a bit where McCain is ribbing Romney in the 2008 nomination campaign, and says: "Mr Romney and I disagree on many things but one the we can agree on: he is the candidate of change." He then looks at the camera with a naughty smirk for a good few seconds.

What is going on here? Is there some joke other than just sarcasm because Romney is... ?

I'm British so other than looking over at the presidential elections from time to time, I don't know a lot of the smaller details.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.

College Slice

Ahh, I see, that makes sense. Thanks.