Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

WouldDesk posted:

Just Melvin, Just Evil

"Just Melvin, Just Evil is the most disturbing documentary you’ll ever see. It is a very hard to find documentary about the tormented family of Melvin Just, a man almost too evil to be believed.

In it, they detail their experiences of abuse over decades, at his hands, even admitting to knowing of a murder he committed to keep his crimes quiet.

Four generations of sexual abuse, substance abuse, terrible secrets, neglect, and violence are explored in Just Melvin, Just Evil. In a large American family ravaged by alcohol and suppressed trauma, it seems that only one member “made it out.”

This man is James Ronald Whitney, who was brave enough to use this documentary as an outlet to explore his family’s history, searching for answers (and closure) to the horror suffered by himself and his relatives."

I sure thought it would end differently. But this whole film is a find bending turn after mind bending turn. Sick poo poo.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/just-melvin-just-evil/

Holy poo poo. This was like... Faulknerian. Absolutely horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

adamj1982 posted:

Anyone seen "Saleman" or "Grey Gardens"? They both sound interesting, although by just watching the 'trailer' for Grey Gardens, I'm kind of confused on what's it about. Seems touching though

Those are both among the best documentaries ever made, especially Salesman. Don't hesitate!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dQvqlC3EuA

Here's a pretty great 50 minute doc on the Seminole Indians, and how they came to be the last unconquered tribe.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

How is Herzog magnanimous?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ji7A6J11U

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

Both of those docs really were just masquerading as part of that "Faces Of Death" series from back then. We didn't have the internet, and most people didn't carry around video clips of people getting killed.

I honestly don't think either of those docs were worth a poo poo. They were collected clips, horribly edited, and the gory parts replayed a few extra times so you really got to see it happen. Hell - the very last execution on that Execution doc was IN the one "Faces Of Death" videotape that I did watch.

Both of them posted some stats that were interesting, but then just kind of fell apart after they ran out of instantly available data. Instead of doing any interviews or deeper digging, they just showed more "goddamn that's a guy dying!" clips.

Go watch Kumare again. THAT was a great documentary within a documentary. Shows a pissass film maker who wants to expose gurus, and then wants to show how stupid people are that get into gurus, and yoga, and stuff.

He ends up realizing he's become a major tool sack and has to come clean. I loved it. It was everything I love in a doc - pokes holes in religion, but shows compassion (eventually) for those who believe in it, it shows how people can be led like sheep if they let themselves, and then shows those people how they don't need to be sheep.

drat. I need more coffee.

I want you to know that this is a pretty bad and quite puzzling post.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

Yeah. I know. I watched the docs around 2AM last night. Been missing a lot of sleep. So that post is definitely a freestyle thoughtbubble kind of a thing. I could go back and edit it up if you'd like.

No, just as long as you're aware.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think Herzog is a far better documentarian than Moore as is Theroux but unless you're talking about, I dunno, some thing about following around a family of moose you're not likely to get a neutral perspective on anything.

Even then, just by making the moose doc you're probably making some kind of eco-statement.

Documentaries are categorically the least "truthful" genre of filmmaking. They're often the most honest, but they are in and of themselves inherently an act of reductionism and selective point-of-view-generating editing.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

big business sloth posted:

I really would like to see more presentations as such. Both "The Day the Universe Changed" and "Cosmos" begin with "A Personal Journey/View by..." and I think that format is astounding.

As I understand it, that format began with Civilisation: A Personal View by Kenneth Clark, in part as Kenneth Clark's disclaimer that he was really only concerned with Western Civilization. It's a really good show, very much worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNGzoJFj9g8

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

xcore posted:

drat you guys are good! That's him.

The fact that there is no narration, title cards or talking heads is really intriguing. It seems like it would be really challenging to make a compelling doco without any of those crutches.

Are the movies good or are they a bit hit and miss? Any easy way to view them?

I can't sit through more than two or three a year but I've never seen one that didn't captive me. They're strange time capsules, and usually deeply political without saying anything. I think Missile is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wynz3FtUBZc

Notoriously hard to find, though.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

fenix down posted:

Everyone who hasn't already should check out Hands on a Hard Body. It's a completely friendly competition and the participants are wonderfully odd and unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzj-vb7Lj0A

I've always thought if this came out a few years later in the heat of that Spellbound/King of Kong era, it would've been a huge hit.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Frostwerks posted:

I watched a documentary on birdwatching in central park last night. I don't really give a poo poo about birds but I wanted to watch a documentary about the park and it delivered in spades. If anyone else knows of any that aren't about the central park five because that poo poo's depressing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097033/ This one is great but hard to find.

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm isn't about Central Park but is entirely set there, and is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Just watched Daughter from Danang and it was stone-cold crushing.