Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

These Humble Bundle documentaries I got are 0 for 3 so far, unless the Mojang documentary suddenly stops being self-aggrandizing fluff about the game and becomes an actual documentary. Even things made to celebrate something (like the TMNT documentary) don't worship the source this much. This was praised?

At least it isn't a documentary about people with beards acting like having a beard makes you a victim of racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGt1ujQugE8

It's so boring.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

It's not like the topic is the problem. You can make a documentary about the most asinine thing if you make it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyjS0Xdzrlc

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

My issue with it is that I've never heard it referred to as a myth before the marketing for this doc came up. Everyone who grew up in those days knew it had actually happened and there wasn't any reason to doubt that a company buried a bunch of worthless plastic in a landfill somewhere.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good documentary about raver culture, PLUR and all that? Preferably a modern one about the west coast scene.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

That's as good a place to start as any.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

It's more focused on the 80's/90's british rave scene/second summer of love but this BBC documentary The Chemical Generation is fantastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxBCaMvBH5c

It's hosted by Boy George and he has a lot of great anecdotes about the scene.

God this was one hour of nothing. "Acid House was good because it had music, but it was bad because people died. In closing, Acid House was a land of contrasts."

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I love how angry that doc makes racists considering how softball it is. Of course, they were angry when it was initially announced, so it's not like they actually watched it.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Wilkos' show is spectacularly pointless, even for its genre. He brings people with problems on, yells at one of them, then tells them to get out of there while the crowd cheers. He doesn't even pretend to resolve anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I'm watching Electric Boogaloo and I'm getting incredibly frustrated with the editing and general pacing. This topic is super interesting, they have tons of great footage to choose from, but it's edited like it's a 2 minute trailer. Only it's 106 minutes long. It's exhausting.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Ok, so about 11 minutes in, the movie's meds kick in and it slows down enough to let you actually take in the things it's talking about. What a bad way to open. Really good after that point, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I had sleep paralysis exactly once in my life, and I was like "Oohhhh no wonder people believe in alien visitors and other creepy poo poo."

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Making jokes on SA is such a losing proposition.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Finally watched this and man it was good but holy poo poo it does not. let. up. The whole thing plays like a fast paced trailer. Very exhausting (but worth it).

I also had this complaint when I initially watched it. It felt like it (somewhat) slowed down about 10-15 minutes in, which made it more bearable.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I'm rewatching the national film board of Canada's documentary about the 1970 October Crisis. While it's pretty lifelessly narrated and doesn't really do anything to jazz up or add drama to the dry facts of the events, it's still chock full of information and revealing statements by the major players of the time. It's pretty good if you have any interest at all in the subject matter.

Also, this bit never fails to make me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXRE_7HzLEQ#t=100s

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Does it tell you about how he doused his cat in gasoline and threw it into a bonfire?

Gee I dunno, maybe watch it instead of trying to smugly convince those that have that they've been bamboozled?

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

The american ninja is a great movie

No it isn't. What a terrible thing to say.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

It is infuriating and does a good job of showing the flaws of the justice system and making you understand that defense lawyers who defend people accused of heinous crimes are not, in fact, horrible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Call Me Lucky is powerful, emotional, captivating, devastating, heartbreaking, and so honest and personal that it feels like you're at some kind of family gathering the whole time. It's a really good documentary.