Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I found Best of Enemies pretty underwhelming. Kind of a light entertainment documentary that hones in on amusing soundbites with less real insight into either individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I've started watching Patricio Guzman's three-part epic The Battle of Chile, and it's pretty goddamned great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5GeEzBKGsQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTCVGdq7BAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWCtYMEYBI

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I went ahead and watched Edward R. Murrow's Harvest of Shame from 1960. I don't know where all the mainstream rhetoric about migrant workers lost its bite but here Murrow dares to not only call them slaves of a new era but also eviscerate the government for being idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJTVF_dya7E

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Cobain: Montage of Heck is exceptional. I would have gotten to it a lot quicker if I'd known it was done by the guy who did June 17, 1994. Dude is a maestro of assembling found footage into enrapturing drama. It is must-see for doc enthusiasts.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oppenheimer and Herzog did a really good Sundance talk about each other's work and documentary in general. Talk begins at 35:08.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWzXPQ3Qydc

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Raxivace posted:

Just watched the avant-garde doc/essay film Heart of a Dog from HBO and Laurie Anderson. Still kind of processing it so I'm not sure what to make of it, though generally I think I liked it.

Anyone else see it?

I did. Did you catch it in theaters? The soundscape was the best part. After watching that movie all I could think was "Dang, maybe I should become a Buddhist."

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I watched Allan King's Warrendale (1967) and it blew me away. It's a fly-on-the-wall depiction of a residential treatment center for troubled kids in Canada that uses an alternative method of therapy that involves holding the kids down when they're having fits. It's kind of disturbing to witness but from reading about it, it seems like it was actually effective in reaching them. Whenever a kid has an emotional breakthrough it's extremely moving. Reminded me of those great moments in Streetwise. Absolute must-see for fans of vérité.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Unmature posted:

Any recommendations for found footage documentaries? I recently picked up the Criterion of And Everything Is Going Fine which is fantastic and now I'm watching the feature length doc Cinefamily put on YouTube of weird Star Wars clips and B-roll.

The Atomic Cafe is a must.

e: Really, the answers are bottomless because archival collage is such a staple "genre" of the doc world. I'll also just throw in A Grin without a Cat.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 17, 2017

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The Challenge is finally getting a limited release in the US and it's my favorite doc I've seen this year. The photography is absurdly good and it portrays a world that you think can't possibly be real. It also has a Morricone-esque score. It's this guy's first feature after a brilliant short called San Siro and I'm already convinced he's a world-class film artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msiaw32R81M

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

SimonCat posted:

I mean, if you want to watch a set of US critical Vietnam documentaries, most of John Pilger's stuff is on Youtube.

Also, the best of them all, In the Year of the Pig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz8H_oi1ck0

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are there any docs on an "underground" far left group in the contemporary US? Like Antifa, Maoists, or whoever dresses up in black and breaks poo poo during protests. But here's the kicker - without being an Alex Jones scare story for racist uncles. Something like "When a Tree Falls", but...better.

The Weather Underground

e: Oh, contemporary nvm.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I went and saw Brimstone and Glory last night and it's absolutely incredible. My buddy and I were shocked at how good it was. 70 minutes of brilliant, magical spectacle of slow motion explosions. See in in a theater if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IltiCOy1rU

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 8, 2018

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Billy Mitchell has been officially outed as a fraud, and I have chosen to exploit this opportunity to fondly remember an all-time great documentary character, Brian Kuh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTj7NSHVwSk

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Ignis posted:

I just resubbed to HBO for Westworld, what's a good documentary to watch in there? Open to most topics except graphic animal cruelty, I can't really stomach watching stuff like that.

Paradise Lost is the old classic. I also really enjoyed Clinica de Migrantes.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Win by Fall is on Amazon Prime. It was one of my favorite films at sxsw last year. It's about a wrestling school for girls in Germany and it has some absolutely riveting fly-on-the-wall work. If you like great sports narrative, it's a fine example.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Any of you seen this? How good or bad is it?

I mean, as a lifelong punk lover, I assume it'll angry up the blood since I sorta know the story already....but is it a good film?

It's not a documentary but it is def. an above average indie

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
https://twitter.com/errolmorris/status/1022176687176462336

:stare:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
If you want a good conspiracy movie watch Chris Smith's Collapse. You're really drawn into the Michael Ruppert's web of derangement. It's all speckled with just enough truth about the way power operates in the world that it's easy to want him to be right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQhjqCd7Eec

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Minding the Gap is finally available on Hulu. It's an autobiographical doc about a skater kid and his friends growing up and wrestling with the fact that they all have abusive parents. Far from an easy watch and I think the music is occasionally overbearing, but man it's got that intimacy I hunger for in docs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Vm_Awe3bw

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Brown Moses posted:

So my little investigative team, Bellingcat, has been followed around by director Hans Pool as part of "Bellingcat – Truth in a Post-Truth World", an 88 minute documentary about Bellingcat that premiered at the International Documentary FilmFestival Amsterdam (IDFA). It was screened last night at the Pathe Tuschinski in Amsterdam on their main screen to a full house, and Variety just published a review:

Looks like it'll be coming to a streaming service near you, soon.

I saw this was going to be playing at SXSW so I'm def. hitting it up.

LittleFuryThings posted:

What are the best documentaries that feature musicians writing their songs/working in the studio?

A Poem Is a Naked Person.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

nonathlon posted:

What's the state of the Theranos documentary. Is it actually available?

It’s on HBO.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Awful CompSloth posted:

Anyone got any political history documentaries about any countries? Talking about elections, their economy, their history, anything.

The Death of Yugoslavia is Norma Percy's best work and features interviews with all heads of state during the Yugoslav Wars, including all the war criminals.

The Battle of Chile is about Pinochet's coup as it happened.

Videograms of a Revolution lets you watch the Communist regime of Romania almost like you were there. It's incredible.

Can you be more specific at all? You're talking about a pretty broad discipline within documentary.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Vincent posted:

Any feel good docs you peeps recommend? This year has been a shitshow so far and most the documentaries named here are incredibly depressing.

anything by Les Blank besides burden of dreams

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hey so I made a doc that aired last week. It's about how my home state of New Mexico blew up its own mental healthcare system by falsely accusing a bunch of companies of fraud and shutting them down without due process. It's part poor-man's Errol Morris procedural and part poor-man's Streetwise.

It's called The Shake-Up and NMPBS is streaming it here: https://portal.knme.org/video/the-shake-up-gekpbo/

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hey, thanks! Let me know what you think and feel free to ask questions about whatever.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Kangra posted:

This was really great. The opening really drew me in and it had a good balance of being informative and inducing both anger and hope.

Thanks for watching!

Kangra posted:

When did you get the idea to make the doc?

Back in 2015 it was this perfect storm of wanting to make a film with a social purpose, learning about what happened in NM, and having a couple of colleagues simultaneously say "gently caress it" with me and borrow some equipment to go get started. We all felt like it had legs because of how easy it was to explain to people; it didn't take more than a few sentences for them to be shocked.

Kangra posted:

What is the general public opinion on what happened? Do they see it as 'the old providers were maybe doing things the wrong way, so they tried to fix it and failed' or are they more inclined to view at as governmental incompetence?

Most folks we've talked to, across the political spectrum, are appalled by what happened. Many believe the actions were criminal in nature. Even the less extreme take is that it's the worst thing that happened in Governor Martinez's era.

There's also still a big void in awareness of the issue in the state, which is why we made the movie.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
SXSW got all their shorts for 2020 posted here

If you're in the mood for some good quick docs, I strongly recommend these ones:

Affurmative Action (4 min)

Broken Orchestra (11 min)

Dieorama (10 min)

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
One of my recent faves The Challenge is on Hulu. If you like weird poo poo with amazing photography, this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_hts5A_fWc

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Fleetwood posted:

Nostalgia for the Light is a fantastic documentary exploring the intersections between history, science, and memory. I only read part of the description, thinking it was just going to be about the telescopes in Chile and was happy to find out that it spent a lot of time talking about the aftermath of the dictatorship under Pinochet

I've found that from talking to docmakers and attending lots of screenings, Nostalgia for the Light is one of the major recent touchstones for nonfiction artists looking to push the medium forward. As much as it has this sort-of heady premise on paper, where we're comparing and contrasting astronomy with dictatorship, it remains eminently watchable and accessible. It's an essential watch.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

battlepigeon posted:

Thanks for the recommendation! Are there any other documentaries in the same vein as this? The Act of Killing comes to mind atleast.

The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

ruddiger posted:

I’ve been watching a poo poo load of Comicbook Kayfabe which led me down a comic book documentary kick.

Comic Book Confidential feels legendary in how it was in the perfect moment of time in comics history to capture interviews with some stone cold historical legends and also future comic legends in the early days of their careers.

I just watched this last weekend! The interviews are indeed incredible. Not just that but the creative choices to blend the subject with the style were so solid. Modern "topic" docs could learn a lot from it.

PS this is on Criterion Channel as well in case folks wanted to check it out in crisp resolution.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Finally got around to watching Time last night. I'm comfortable calling it an essential doc viewing. It's got incredible archival material, atypical cinematography, and some killer emotional moments. It's exactly what social documentaries should aspire to: don't give me statistics and policy explanations, show me how the problem affects peoples' spirits.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Brett Morgen, the crown prince of archival collage, has his David Bowie movie coming out this year (in IMAX no less!) and it will probably be a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L61SJbLhTqE

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Waltzing Along posted:

I tried watching The Last Tourist on Hulu. It's terrible. Very biased and not really a documentary at all. Stay away.

Yeah, that looks terrible. Watch all-time classic Cannibal Tours instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUQ_8wl93HM

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck is his best film imo but Moonage Daydream looks like a contender. He's been making it for like eight years.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

abelwingnut posted:

you should running to your local theater to watch ‘fire of love’. excellent, excellent work.

Agreed, it’s a really good doc for the big screen. The volcano imagery they captured is consistently astonishing

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I finally caught Moonage Daydream last night. I don't know if I have ever heard a more impressive sound mix in my life. It was loud but not piercing, and the panning work was insanely immersive.

It took every fiber of my being to resist belting out the lyrics along with the movie. Absolutely a must-see in theaters.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Rest in peace Mike Schank, one of the great characters of documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAbno9zroXo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone got any recs for docs about the events surrounding the Euromaiden protests in Ukraine in 2013 and the resultant change in government? Thanking you kindly

Sergei Loznitsa’s Maidan is very experimental, almost entirely static wides of the protests and violence by the state. Ymmv but I found it very moving. Feels like you’re there