Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

Gonna have me some good friends around
Gonna have me some good times in town

Speaking of North Korea, Under the Sun is on Netflix now and it's every bit as weird and awful as you would expect, with the added bonus of being about a child soldier as she's joining the Glorious Children's Army and that the film crew was given a script and elaborate fake scenes were staged. It's soul-crushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

I'm only 5 minutes into Tickled and I'm already in full :stonklol: mode. What in the world am I in for?

precision
May 7, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Is it available somewhere that's an official release? I want to watch it

Yeah I bought it on Amazon. 20 minutes in and the weirdness is loving exponential.

precision
May 7, 2006

Going Clear is definitely the better of the two, but I think Louis' is okay. It's one of his weakest efforts, but still strong.

Tickled ended up being kind of a weird wet fart. I actually thought it was gonna just keep getting more strange but I guessed the final twist well before it happened. Still one of the best documentaries I've ever seen because holy poo poo. It's like Tabloid in that regard.

precision
May 7, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Haven't heard of Tabloid before, but added to my list based on that comparison.

I believe it's still on Netflix, I know it was for a long time.

precision
May 7, 2006

There's got to be a lot of information left out of Tickled because the speed and way that it escalates seems really strange. At no point does the reporter ever ask anyone "Are you really trying to destroy my life because of tickling videos?"

So it's not surprising there's a ton of stuff they couldn't use.

precision
May 7, 2006

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Gimme Danger verdict: I'm too young to have properly grown up in the era of Iggy Pop, and while an overall well done music/band documentary, it doesn't really resonate unless you were already a big Stooges fan. I have only a cursory familiarity/interest in their music, though I do like it. Echoing sentiments said elsewhere, I wish it had actually covered what happend when Iggy went solo/what he was doing during that time--it seems like they just left a big void of "well there was this band and it did some stuff for a while," SOMETHING, hey! suddenly a reunion concert/hall of fame induction from nowhere!

People that were (presumably) big Iggy/Stooges fans in the audience loving loved it though.

To be fair, nobody wants to see a documentary about what Iggy Pop did in those years. A lot of it was terrrrrrrrible.

precision
May 7, 2006

It might be hard to track down, but if you like music documentaries, Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns is really good. Anyone who's ever listened to more than a few TMBG songs know they're not exactly shiny happy dudes all the time, especially in their older days, and Gigantic does a great job covering that aspect.

precision
May 7, 2006

I mean, I could leave my webcam on for a couple hours someday.

precision
May 7, 2006

I watched Stevie today and now I feel really gross especially since I come from rural America. It's so depressing and there were about 100 times I almost had to turn it off because what the gently caress, Universe, what the gently caress.

precision
May 7, 2006

Short Penguin posted:

I couldn't find it on netflix?

I just finished watching it on US Netflix, so maybe you're in the wrong country?

And man, yeah, it's really great. Netflix thought I'd only give it 3 stars which makes absolutely no sense given my viewing history. I think that's the worst the algorithm has ever been off because it's 5 stars easy.

precision
May 7, 2006

I thought the twist was that he's just an old chill dude who has, like many of us, been through some really unbelievable poo poo and still come out alive. I thought it was super upbeat ultimately.

precision
May 7, 2006

Even though it's extremely one-sided (for reasons that may or may not be super obvious) Amanda Knox on Netflix is really fascinating if you want to get really, really angry about small town police investigations and the media.

precision
May 7, 2006

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Oh the 30 for 30 Straight Outta LA is amazing just like all 30 for 30s

And it's on YouTube right now, officially even:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucjqadCCMVQ

precision
May 7, 2006

Pingiivi posted:

I kinda doubt that ESPN would put that "IT'S FAIR USE PLEASE DON'T SUE US TO gently caress!" text in ther video descriptions. Also that channel's Facebook page goes to ESPN flims.

Ah, you're probably right, I didn't notice that.

e: The "This Was the XFL" 30 for 30 is also a pro watch, especially if you blinked and missed the XFL when it actually existed.

precision
May 7, 2006

Leinadi posted:

Watched the new BBC docudrama on Terry Pratchett.

It was... well, it was OK I guess? I mean, the interviews and archive footage was good but the whole "let's get an actor to bring Pratchett to life" idea really didn't work well for me. Just felt... wrong and slightly embarassing.

Ugh wow that does seem terrible and in poor taste.

I'll still watch it.

precision
May 7, 2006

Somehow the followup to Tickled is even weirder. That guy needs to be in a mental hospital at the least.

precision
May 7, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is that follow up online anywhere?

To Tickled? Yeah it's a 30 minute thing on HBO, The Tickle King

precision
May 7, 2006

The Year Punk Broke is on YouTube for now, and if you've never seen it, you really need to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as5tGEyu3Is

There's also a Dead Kennedys documentary on there where they don't mention or interview Jello Biafra at all :lol:

precision
May 7, 2006

One More Time With Feeling, an excellent doc on the making of the new Nick Cave album, is on Prime.

precision
May 7, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

Don't bother. It's too little too late (both Ashetons are dead) and it's basically just Jarmusch throwing softballs at Iggy when he's been talking (and bullshitting) throughout the years. He didn't even ask him why he dissed the Ashetons in his 1997 liner notes or why he tried to replace them when during his time with Bowie in London. The drug stories take up more time than any info on recording Fun House, etc.

I do not disagree that the documentary could have showed more, but I very much disagree that it was a bad film. I don't think it was intended to be the kind of doc you wanted it to be; if you want dirt on James, you can find it so easily. Gimme Danger was Jarmusch and James doing a postmortem on the band more than a comprehensive documentary.

precision
May 7, 2006

On the other hand, what makes Gimme Danger great could in fact be the meta-textual fact that Iggy is the only one left and that could change literally any day now.

precision
May 7, 2006

Maybe Logic: The Lives and Ideas of Robert Anton Wilson is pretty great and a generally good primer on his ideas. In particular it does a good job of showing that unlike some of his peers and/or disciples (including Alex Jones) RAW was always greatly aware that anything he believed was just as likely as not to be bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7N6TOFyrLg

precision
May 7, 2006

Pingiivi posted:

I haven't seen the Truth or Dare documentary but apparently it was kinda huge at the time. The dancers got kinda famous from that. This goes through the aftermath when the tour ended.

Yeah at the time Blond Ambition was Beatles-level huge and Truth or Dare was a big hit.

precision
May 7, 2006

Up next on VH1 You're Old, an update on the women from the "Baby Got Back" video. Is her butt still so big?

precision
May 7, 2006

Talking of parking lots, Heavy Metal Parking Lot is one of my top 10 documentaries of all time, easy. I don't remember the sequel being nearly as good but still being okay.

precision
May 7, 2006

The craziest thing about Mommy Dead and Dearest is that it's extremely similar to a case from 10 or 15 years ago, to the point where I legitimately wonder if that was intentional. So messed up.

precision
May 7, 2006

The Keepers is on Netflix now, a series about the extremely hosed up murder of a nun. After 1 episode I'm def hooked.

precision
May 7, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Ferrell

precision
May 7, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Has anybody watched Freeload, the train-hoppiong documentary? It sounds pretty cool but I dunno where to see it online

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2962860/

Oh hey, it's that documentary about some friends of mine. It really depends what you want out of it. It does a good job of showing that "Traveler kids" are entitled whiny little shits with little or no ethical or moral compass and that they often put dogs through hell. Also that all Travelers are free spirits but all just happen to wear the same outfit/uniform and have the same terrible "white people dreds".

All that said, again, I'm friends with the primary subjects of the doc so obviously I don't really mean to sound as vicious as all that.

It is pretty entertaining and well made.

precision
May 7, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Holy poo poo, and you call those people your friends? I'd hate to see how you treat your enemies behind their back

I've said all that to their faces, many times over. It's possible to be friends with people you don't 100% agree with. :shrug:

But besides that, the people in the documentary say the exact same things I did, in their own words, so if they're saying it about themselves I think it's fair game.

precision
May 7, 2006

I never picked up on the gay text of Nightmare 2 as a kid, and haven't gone back to it. Is it worth it for that alone?

precision
May 7, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

What do they do to the doggies? :(

Don't get me wrong, many Travelers take good care of their dogs, but many do not, primarily because many Travelers have severe mental problems and are alcoholics/junkies. A local outdoors hippie free music festival recently had to adopt a strict "no dogs, period" policy because so many would die every year from eating things they shouldn't because their owners were rolling on molly and jamming out and not watching them.

ANYWAY, Doomed! is on Hulu - it's a documentary about the Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie, and it's really good in a very Best Worst Movie kind of way.

precision
May 7, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

Death on the Staircase

Do you mean The Staircase? That's a really good one.

precision
May 7, 2006

I don't know how we stand on linking certain sites but if you Google "Staircase 2" you can watch it for free (not YouTube though, hence why I'm not linking it).

precision
May 7, 2006

This was amazing as gently caress and by the end my mind was completely in knots

Amanda Knox, on Netflix, is another great one, though that one seems more clear cut by the end as to what really happened. With the Jinx, every possible option for "what happened" is equally insane and implausible

precision
May 7, 2006

I thought the parts in episode 2 where the woman was retelling in graphic detail what the priests did to her was, uh, VERY hard to watch.

precision
May 7, 2006

Art and Craft on Prime, about the nicest art forger you'll ever learn about.

precision
May 7, 2006

WebDog posted:

"Shut up little man", with found tapes. Kind of like Winnebago Man as it looks at a cult following of the tapes.

While I liked this one more than some, if you're really interested in weird cults of taped messages, venture forth into the rabbit hole that is Midnight Voicejail:

https://nationalcynical.bandcamp.com/album/the-best-of-midnight-voicejail-vol-6-the-left-the-right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

Allyn posted:

June 17th, 1994 for sure

No kidding, that thing is crazy. I was 19 at the time and still didn't know all of what happened on that day until I watched that.