Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2038 days!

Why you should never talk to the police under any circumstances

This is technically not a documentary but a one-hour lecture by a US law professor and a veteran cop. However, the professor is really fast talking and squeezes more information into half an hour than most TV documentary series do.

Basically, the professor explains why, due to laws regarding hearsay evidence as well as the possibility of human error, talking to the police always can never be a good thing for the individual involved (it might be good for society, but the individual is always putting himself at risk of self-incrimination). If you want to exonerate yourself of a crime, the only place to do it is in court. If you want to testify against a suspect, demand immunity from prosecution. The professor cites famous celebrities such as Martha Stewart and Marion Jones, who could have avoided prison had they refused to talk to investigators.

A summary of his points:

*We're all guilty of something, because there are thousands of laws to break and it's impossible to go through life totally clean.

*Anything you say to the police may be used against you in court by the prosecutor, but can never be quoted by your defense attorney to help you. This is because any statement that isn't inculpatory will be dismissed as hearsay. Therefore, making statements to the police cannot help you and is at best harmless. If you have something to say that can get you off the hook, save it for the judge.

*An innocent suspect, as a result of confusion and stress, may make accidental lies in his statement that the prosecutor can point out in court.

*Faulty evidence can be used to contradict a suspect's statements and make him look like a liar.

I love this video so much I watched it every day for a week. This is a video I highly recommend you guys to watch because it actually contains wisdom that you may well find useful some point in life.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

LawrenceOfHerLabia posted:

In a way I have more respect for the Phelps' than the so-called mainstream Christians who pick and chose the good bits from the bible and leave the rest. At least the Phelps' aren't being hypocritical or inconsistent when it comes to obeying the sky fairy.

I doubt it. More likely, they pick and choose their own passages to live by; their choices and interpretations are so far away from mainstream that even other firebrand preachers hate them.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Also, when analyzing the Phelp's it's better to ignore the Biblical scripture they cite and refer instead to theories of group psychology. Look at the personality of their leaders, their relationship with wider society, the distribution of power and duties, the inter-dependencies, the sources of income, etc. These will give you far better insight into how and why they act the way they act than Biblical quotes. After all, everyone from gays to liberals to right-wing nuts love to quote the Bible; you can support almost any social movement with creative interpretation.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Mullah Nasrudin posted:

I agree that this explains their behavior, but why give the Bible and the majority of Christian history a pass on its explicit bigotry? The Phelps' seem like they've stepped out of a time machine from... oh... ANY time in the Christian world from before 1960.

I believe you'll find this behavior in all societies across all time. The Hindus, Buddhists and Muslims all have their nutcase sects.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

This thing can happen anywhere where there is a breeding culture that values sculpting particular forms over optimal health.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Rockybar posted:

Sorry if this has been posted before (37 pages) but do do do do watch The Power of Nightmares. If it's been posted before then I'm just reencouraging (word?) you to watch it. Political documentary on the effect of struassianism on the neo- and radical islamists in the world today. If you're not convinced, watch the first 3 minutes.

It will change the way you look at the world.

Available on: archive.org. The full thing, 3 1 hour shows.

P.S. How about a documentary of the week in the O.P?

Saw that one. I have things to say about it, but I avoid any discussion about Bush or Obama like the plague because nobody is ever rational about this topic.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Sex Slaves
A PBS Frontline documentary about sexual slavery in Eastern Europe. Watch a rescued slave's face break down as her pimp gets only 5 years probation for ruining her life.

I got some questions if anybody knows the answer:
1)How much does it cost for a pimp to acquire a foreign sex slave?
2)How much money does a sex slave bring in every month?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Ropes4u posted:

Dont know about cost, but there was a recent conviction on the news that claimed 20k a month for a teenager.

Then a pimp can turn a profit on his investment in a matter of a few months. By the time the girl escapes or is rescued, he's already made his profit, and the chances of getting imprisoned are so weak. No wonder the sex trade thrives.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

In 2007, ITV launched a documentary series called "Only Human" that explores the lives of people with disabilities.

The episode "Can't Stop Eating" is a memorable one. It's about sufferers of Prader-Willi Syndrome, a genetic disorder that inflicts its sufferers with emotional immaturity and insatiable appetites. He falls madly in love with a girl whom he hasn't even met yet, buys an engagement ring, and thinks of having a baby. Whirlwind romances and breakups are apparently very common with these sorts of people.

The whole episode is up on Youtube:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4 (this part contains the hilarious whirlwind romance
Part 5

Another great episode is "The Strangest Village in Britain", which is about a village where half of the residents have learning difficulties (Down Syndrome, autism, etc). There's this old woman who keeps snapping viciously at anyone who annoys here or shirks work, and then at home she whines that she has no social life because everybody hates her. It's fun to watch retards struggle with each other for power. But the best character is this old black guy who keeps making up poo poo about his past because he's paranoid and thinks that this will protect him.

The Strangest Village in Britain

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 4, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

These people aren't "okay". Joe is profoundly disabled, unable to live responsibly or get along with people or handle relationships. These guys will have to be cared for for their entire lives. The diets and reward schemes they go through are not so much to rehabilitate them but to simply keep them from killing themselves.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Pilli posted:

A "lovely" 55-minute documentary about the enigma that is syphilis.

Watch at your own risks. :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-pctpzh2o
What's the problem? There was nothing particularly graphic. Type "syphilis" into Google Images and you'll get genuinely freaked out there.

This was a great documentary. I always love a documentary that uses intriguing and surprising scientific discoveries to humanize or exonerate an unjustly maligned people. My two favorite things in one.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

One of my favorite documentaries is this BBC Horizon episode exploring the cause of the Permian extinction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn62AjIpWMw

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

I just watched this great documentary on the Atkins diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laMuyJhMcE0

The Atkins diet is this popular high-protein, low-carb diet that has proven surprisingly effective despite traditional wisdom that low calories are the only way to lose weight. Early in the program, Atkins was doubted because his diet seemed to contradict the first law of thermodynamics: energy can't be destroyed, so if you consume more calories they must go to your hips because they cannot vanish into thin air. I'm always wary of applying this law to situations because the world is a bit complex. All that time I was thinking "Well maybe the calories pass into the poo without being absorbed. Perhaps the energy-bearing chemicals in meats are harder to digest." The documentary never confronted this thought. The documentary eventually concluded that protein is an appetite suppressant and that the Atkins dieters were actually eating less. Still, was I wrong to think what I thought?

Haerc posted:

Anyone know of any docs similar to Century of the Self? I've already watched all of Adam Curtis' other docs.
I watched a documentary of his that argued that al-Qaeda didn't exist before 9/11 and was a phantom enemy that America made up and bin Laden opportunistically latched on to. I nearly fell off my chair.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

I am looking for documentaries about female athletes, in particular female bodybuilders. Any good recommendations?

On a different topic, I recommend to anyone this lecture by an American law professor, who argues that it is NEVER a good idea to talk to the police without the guidance of an attorney. It doesn't matter if you haven't done anything and you're being questioned about somebody else's crime. You only put yourself at risk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 13, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

I watched this documentary on Thalidomide, a drug notorious for causing birth defects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2R_WllelU0

It was banned for a while, but then was slowly reintroduced when it was found to be really good at treating leprosy and some forms of cancer. The doc says that thalidomide is an awesome drug as long as you're not pregnant, so it's sad that it was pulled for so long. Obviously the emotional backlash over all those poor babies meant they overreacted a bit.

I recommend this doc because there's a good helping of science along with human drama. Very touching and educational.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 13, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Yeah, I understand if people say "LOOK AT MY BABY! Do you think I'm overreacting?" But go to 13:58 and 19:10 and 25:48 and you'll see people whose terrible illnesses were almost magically relieved by thalidomide and suddenly you see a different side, a misunderstood drug that was misapplied.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 13, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

You may be right for practical reasons. There's a bit in the documentary about how a second wave of thalidomide babies occurred in Brazil despite warnings against taking it during pregnancy. The Brazilian women could not read the English warning labels! It shows that thalidomide simply should not be distributed except through highly controlled programs. If such gaffes could happen then it was prudent to pull it off the market altogether until they had a system in place.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

McDowell posted:

Do you mean this in a good way or a bad way? Obama indirectly mentioned 'The Power of Nightmares' narrative in his last presser - starting that the group that planned 9/11 has more or less been defeated but that al qaeda groups have 'metastasized'.
In a good way, I suppose. I like astonishing claims, though I was skeptical of this one for a good while. I still am undecided.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Hormones posted:

Happy. About what people around the world do to be happy. It was so beautiful and had me smiling throughout. A serious pick-me-up!
Do the songs "Don't Worry Be Happy" and "Oh Happy Days" feature in the doc?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

I recommend the documentary Gypsy Child Thieves, which shows how a certain section of the Roma population run rings of professional child beggars and pickpockets. It's horrifying stuff and may sadly reinforce your prejudices against these people.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Try the BBC series Worst Jobs in History (YouTube). Lots of very icky things there. My favorite is how they made purple dye. In the age before modern chemistry they couldn't figure anything better than rotting clams.

You might like to watch this doc on Machu Picchu. The city's walls are made of large stones that fit perfectly together, and use no mortar. It was built by people who hadn't even discovered the wheel, yet the feat still awes modern engineers.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 28, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

mod sassinator posted:

It's a good channel, but really overplays World War II, modern weapons, etc. programming to get ratings these days. Many years ago History Channel (and TLC, The Learning Channel) used to play all kinds of neat and obscure science and history documentaries. I remember watching great science shows like Connections, Newton's Apple, Invention, and others. Now it's all about reality TV and Hitler documentaries.
Thank God we have YouTube and torrents. But even the docs themselves aren't always top quality, going for sensationalism rather than detail and balanced views.

BBC documentaries remain the best on TV. They on their own justify my TV license.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

I also recommend this documentary on the construction of the HMS Victory, Nelson's flagship. In this era, a ship of the line was the most sophisticated thing on the planet.

In this one, Julius Caesar builds a bridge to impress some barbarians.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 28, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Pilli posted:

If you enjoy bleak, depressing documentaries, I suggest Death and the Civil War on Netflix, by Ric Burns.
Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drroLo4DCTQ

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yep, it's those exact two things. People will kill each other over 250 dollars, people will kill each other because they suspect you may have seen them selling drugs, people will kill you because they think you're talking to their girlfriend.
In one episode a guy is shot because he asked some revelers to quiet down when they strayed onto his property.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

I watched this excellent NOVA documentary on the 2004 case where a Kansas school district tried and failed to introduce creationism to the curriculum. It's a thoroughly informative program, but it has a major gap. Before the judge even rendered his verdict, the people of Dover voted to oust the creationists from the school board. The creationists had lost the support of the people. What happened there? For what reasons did the people choose mainstream science? What swayed them?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Professor Shark posted:

I thought this one was great, especially when the group leader turns dictator after the believers realize how hosed up North Korea is and want to leave, so he breaks into their hotel rooms and takes their cameras/ evidence.
That bit made me really mad. This guy is supposed to take care of you and then he steals your poo poo and rebukes you. loving rear end in a top hat. I want to take a train to Barcelona just to kick him in the nuts.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Cactus posted:

What's the best documentary to watch that explains the worldwide financial crash circa 2008, both what caused it and future implications? It will preferably be informative, politically unbiased, and explained in a way so that someone like me that doesn't know anything about economics or banking beyond a basic supply/demand curve will be able to grasp the concepts presented.
This is a short and succinct summary of the American mortgage crisis. However, this is just one aspect of the broader picture. Very good summary of the technicalities, though.

This is a lengthier British documentary that looks at the broader picture. Also explains how China is going to come out stronger for this.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Charlie Brooker's year in review doc is out on Dec 28 (it'll likely pop up on Youtube soon thereafter). Also, he made a doc called How Videogames Changed the World. So check youtube for both, all Brooker's stuff gets uploaded eventually.
I saw his videogame doc and was disappointed. It was just another retelling of the evolution of games and taught me nothing I didn't already know. I thought from the title it would teach me how games changed the way we all think and behave but there was rather little of that.

Also, I'm starting to get sick of Charlie's mopey cynicism. Christ, he's getting old.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

When I considered Tilikum's acts, I wondered If we are to consider orcas to be like humans, should we not hold Tilikum accountable for his crimes? Should he be tried and punished according to his crimes but with consideration for his psychological suffering?

Oh, and you don't have to spoiler tag something that appears in a documentary.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

It depends on the culture. Western cultures don't like the torturing of animals, especially in public. A kid who ignores this cultural more might have a problem.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

acephalousuniverse posted:

I'm pretty sure getting thrills from sadistically torturing a living thing is not a culturally-dependent sign of mental illness but a pretty universal one. This isn't exactly a question of what animals are okay to kill and eat or whatever, not enjoying causing undue pain to a thing that feels pain is a basic sign that you possess empathy. It has nothing to do with culture, except for the fact that certain idiots in our culture selectively choose which things to feel empathy about and then try to justify it rationally by playing oppression olympics with people vs animals.
In 16th-century England, torturing animals was a favorite form of public entertainment. Bull-baiting was a sport where a bull was set upon by dogs for the pleasure of a crowd. It was so popular that there was in fact a law that forbade people from killing bulls unless it had been baited first, so as not to waste opportunities for entertainment. Another show involves stuffing a cat into a bag and then setting the bag of fire. The crowd would howl in laughter at the cat's shrieks of agony.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Watching Blackfish made me love orcas less, but respect them more.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

acephalousuniverse posted:

16th Century England: A healthy, compassionate culture, known for its fostering of empathy.
The point is that you can't possibly say that all Englishmen of the time were psychopathic. Therefore, cruelty towards animals is not a surefire sign of psychopathy. You have to look at the behavior in the context of the society where it happens.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

ineptmule posted:

Don't dog breeds get selected and conditioned for certain behavioural characteristics as well as physical ones? If so it shouldn't it be possible for such traits to be passed on in other animals?
I've read a lot of articles and books that say the same is true for humans - that genes affect our personality more strongly than our upbringing.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

cloudchamber posted:

How can you tell where the effects of genes ends and the effect of environmental factors begin?
Well, I've heard that scientists study twins who were raised apart to see just how similar they turned out. Those studies could provide the answers.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

I recommend the BBC4 documentary Mad Dog: Gaddafi's Secret World. Gaddafi was a sex fiend on par with Uday Hussein.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

I'd like to come out and recommend this BBC documentary that speculates Jesus was a really Buddhist monk. His teachings of humility, loving thy enemy, and the meek inheriting the Earth for all were likely variations on Buddhist themes, because these values do not appear in Judaism. After he was born in Israel, he travelled to India where he spent some 15 years or so learning Buddhism, then returned to Israel to spread the values he learned. He probably hitched a ride with the spice caravans that routinely brought spices from India to the Arabian peninsula. He didn't die on the cross because his followers drugged him to make him appear dead so that the Romans would let them take him down early. He was then resuscitated in secret and he fled back to Asia where he eventually died in the mountains of Kashmir.

If you're a Christian this might irk you and you will probably reject it, but even so it's fun ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaW6BYhfNM

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 2, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

Dr.Caligari posted:

edit- I may have missed the part where they talked about it, but is the writings that the Russian guy found of the 'proof' that a boy came from Israel? Or can it be found in other Buddhist writings?
The evidence surrounding Jesus and everything else that happened in those days is so sparse that I can accept that Buddhist manuscript as much as anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation

The documentary told me that there are no contemporary records of Jesus ever existing.