Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this isn't better suited to SAS but are there any good Hockey documentaries (I've seen Road to the Winter Classic).

I'm just after something broad aimed at the hockey noob (I'm Australian) in the vein of the great NFL films series. Something that sort of celebrates the game, gives a bit of history and has cool "what it's like to be a hockey player" type insights.

Is there some sort of "the last 20 years of the Stanley cup" type documentary? Talking about each season, the journeys, stories, highlights etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I know this was a rather large/mainstream film when it comes to docos but I watched Bully last night for the first time which is one if the most heartbreaking and rage inducing movies I have seen in a while.

I don't know why, but ever since becoming a father for the first time four months ago I have turned into a blubbering mess when it comes to sad things. I now cry watching Attenborough docos but this one hit me particularly hard.

I kept trying to be macho and distance myself with thoughts of "those crazy Americans with their love of guns and religion, hatred of gays and a lovely education system" but it still hit way too close to home.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 21, 2013

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Once I was subbing at a high school and had to show Bully to six different classes over the course of two days.

Did you do that with the "viewing guide" and other supplementary material that is available on the website? How did that go?

I visited the site after watching, just to make sure the kid turned out OK in the end and was pretty impressed with the material they supply with all the "How kids might react to this" "What questions to ask" "Things to be aware of" type stuff.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Fox Sports 1 just aired a documentary called Fighting For A Generation which was a really interesting documentary on the history of the UFC to commemorate it's 20th anniversary.

It's interesting for both hardcore fans and the the average joe. If you have ever thought "I wonder what the deal with that cage fighting is" and would like to know a little more, this is a great place to dip your toes.

I don't live in the US so I'm not sure about air dates, but it is being replayed several times over the next few weeks (maybe on Fox Sports 2 instead, I'm not really sure)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

spooky_rob posted:

What are some good documentaries about the Mexican drug cartels?

The first episode of HBOs "Witness" (an awesome four part documentary series following combat photographers) follows a photogropher in Juarez, Mexico. Shame it's only a half hour, and might only tangibly be about what you are after, but it's still worth checking out (along with the rest of the series).

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend some awesome metal documentaries? Or music docs in general.

Ones i've seen and enjoyed:

Pure loving Mayhem
Until The Light Takes Us
Last Days Here
Kurt and Courtney
Anvil! The Story of Anvil
Thanks!

ulvir posted:

Metal: A headbanger's journey does a good job of covering the different subgenres.

If you enjoy this, Sam Dunn (the director) did a follow up TV series called Metal Evolution which is an 11 part series that goes through the history of Metal in more detail and chronologically highlights the sub-genres in more detail.

Unfortunately, the most fascinating of the Metal sub-genres (Black Metal) didn't get an episode and it's real hole in the whole "History of Metal" tapestry. He wanted to do it, but VH1 (who funded and first aired the series) thought it was too extreme and didn't want to do it. He tried to get a kickstarter going to do it as a 12th episode but it didn't make it's goal.

Punk's Not Dead is the Punk equivilant of Headbangers Journey.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 16, 2014

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh, and re: metal documentaries, Heavy Metal Parking Lot and The Decline of Western Civilization Part II are absolutely essential.

I thought you were being witty and listing documentaries about Iron and Steel etc. But nope!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

smurf1788 posted:

Has anyone watched Blackfish? Opinions?

Holy crap. Was this really not some attempt at trolling?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Roydrowsy posted:

just caught "As The Palaces Burn" the documentary about the band Lamb of God.

You get me all excited and then I find out it's a limited release movie in theatres :(

Any word on a DVD release?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is the "Up" series of movies objectively good or are people just invested at this point?

Is there an alternative jump-in point or am I obliged to watch them from the beginning?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

NeilPerry posted:

I'm looking for anything cool about the nature in Japan or the history of Tokyo.

Japanorama might be interesting. It focuses on the quirky Japanese culture more than anything else you asked for though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanorama

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I know I got the recommendation from someone in the thread ages ago, but I finally got around to watching Undefeated last night.

Yeah, it's a pretty cliche sports documentary that hits all the right notes, but boy, does it hit those notes good. Bit of a tear jerker.

As an aside, for the richest and most powerful country in the world, the United States is one very hosed up and broken country.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The latest Filmspotting podcast mentioned a documentary maker that sounded really cool but the name is slipping me. He has made dozens of documentaries focusing on specifc part of society and they actually sounded quite interesting. They all have mundane names like "Hospital" "School" etc.

Does anyone know who this is and are the movies good?
The host also mentioned that the movies are actually pretty hard to find, I assume that means they aren't on Netflix, Youtube, Hulu etc?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
drat you guys are good! That's him.

The fact that there is no narration, title cards or talking heads is really intriguing. It seems like it would be really challenging to make a compelling doco without any of those crutches.

Are the movies good or are they a bit hit and miss? Any easy way to view them?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ropes4u posted:

NARCO CULTURA

You don't need to read the whole thread, but dude, look four posts up.

Looks interesting though. This setting/subject matter is quite fascinating.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
There was a pretty good documentary on Australian TV over the weekend on Pussy Riot called Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer Not sure if people overseas can view the ABC iView site, but I'm sure it's on Netflix or Hulu or something as well anyway.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/program/85180658

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Here's a bit of a documentary about Excel Eve Online, how it's different from other MMOs, how its players are huge nerds but also like to stick it to the man, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB1M9ZVuWtM

I haven't clicked this, but I hope it's what I want it to be. I really want someone to write an EVE online book documenting all the crazy poo poo that has gone on in that game. Everything about this game is fascinating except the idea of actually playing it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I finally got to see As the Palaces Burn and it's a really good watch. It's not out on DVD, but it is on Vimeo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6k-Ev_H7c

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

The AV Club has a list of documentaries whose theme changed in the process of making the films. Some of them are probably well known here but I still found a few interesting new ones

http://www.avclub.com/article/change-plan-15-documentaries-switched-course-durin-208522

Awesome. Man I love the Queen of Versailles.
I can't remember the exact premise, but Dear Zachary fits that bill yeah? Surprised that isn't on there.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Was listening to Filmspotting and Adam recommended this as a good watch

Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npe6yTYmTiM

Anyone seen it?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is the Ebert Documentary released this year a good watch for someone that didn't grow up watching him and isn't aware of the cultural impact he had on criticism and American cinema?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2382298/

Also, this is playing in Chicago right now and soon to be released on DVD (and I assume some sort of streaming service). Looks cool

The Homestretch
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2492002/

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 16, 2014

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Schlinky posted:

Would anyone else be able to recommend some interesting music documentaries? I'm interested less about the history of an era and more about the stories behind the people, but I'm totally up for anything if it's good.

I'm not sure how many pages back you read before posting but As the Palaces Burn is a documentary about the metal band Lamb of God. It intended to be a generic "on the road" documentary but quickly got turned on it's head when the lead singer got arrested in Czech Republic for the death of a fan.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to seeing West of Memphis. Not actually knowing the story apart from remembering the Dixie Chicks/Eddie Vedder stuff at the time and not knowing what they were referring to.

It made me angry. And sad.

I also watched it back to back with Central Park Five.

Now I'm super angry. And super sad.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 4, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Have you seen the 3 "Paradise Lost" films?

Clearly I haven't, otherwise I'd be familiar with the story.

Now for a non-smartass answer. Will I still get anything out of watching them having seen West Of...? From the movie, i kind of got the impression that whilst they were groundbreaking, they were only going off the evidence that they had at the time and there has since been a lot more evidence so it's kind of all moot.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Cactus posted:

I've seen all the Charlie Brooker stuff so other than that are there any decent documentaries about videogames? I kind of grew up watching them turn from the geeky niche spectrum/amstrad/commodore 64 pixellated poo poo into the multi-genre behemoth they are now and it's been fascinating.

The Smash Brothers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSf2mgkRm7Q
This is super fascinating as it shows the early days of competitive gaming (on a console mind you) and pre-dates the internet. The passion and nerdiness at play makes the movie quite charming. A really solid series considering how low budget it appears to be.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

and leaves you wanting to know what (if anything) happens next a la The Jinx.

You find this a positive?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Meowbot posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations of that nature? I guess its hard to find another example besides this show.

I guess maybe some survival stories of vietnam/iraq war from the people who were there first hand is what im looking for.

Werner Herzog's Little Dieter Needs to Fly might tick the boxes you are after. It's the non-fiction version of the story from Herzog's Rescue Dawn

Also, I like to recommend this whenever I get the chance, and it's somewhat in that wheelhouse Witness: City Name on HBO was a cool documentary series that follows combat photographers on the journeys to different conflicts. It follows a different photgrapher each episode. From memory, the different locations/conflicts are:

Juarez/Cartel Wars
Rio and gangs/police corruption and the attempts to clean up before the World Cup/Olympics
Libya/Gadaffi
Sudan/Kony

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

Check out the documentary/dramatization Touching the Void about an absolutely insane and horrific mountain climbing accident that actually has a good ending. You will not believe what happened to this person and how they survived it.

I watched one of those "How Did They Survive" style shows that do all the bad re-enactments that covered this story. Amazing stuff.

That reminds me, how good was Unsolved Mysteries when you were a kid!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Do you write reviews for a living? I felt like this was right out of newspaper.

(this is a compliment by the way)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just watched Rooster Teeth's World's Greatest Head Massage: An ASMR Journey. Whilst it's slightly nutty in Part 1, it was a really fun watch and it was cool seeing India through these guys eyes. Very fish out of water like An Idiot Abroad without the complaining/cruelty.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Any fan of HBOs Hard Knocks should check out Amazon's All or Nothing: A Season with the Arizona Cardinals for an amazing look at the workings of a sports team. Even if you're not into Football, the production value and human drama will carry you through.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

A Death in St. Augustine is a great (and infuriating) Frontline doc about domestic violence in the police force.

Domestic violence is the police force? As in Husband / wife cops?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

It was in Baltimore.

Awkward....

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Watching Time: The Kalief Browder Story and it does a really good job of showing of hosed up american prisons (especially Rikers Island) are.

I just Googled RIkers Island. How does it cost $209,000 to incarcerate one inmate for one year when they are treated like complete poo poo and the place is massively over populated?

It blows my mind that jails like this exist in the US. These people have not been convicted of a crime and they can be there for years! This isn't a case of innocent people being given the wrong verdict for a crime, they could just be flat out innocent.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

abelwingnut posted:

you should running to your local theater to watch ‘fire of love’. excellent, excellent work.

Is that the movie with the couple who climb Volcanos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I watched The Rescue yesterday. Didn't realise it's been out for nearly a year. Same directors as Free Solo and a goddam incredible story (the cave rescue of the boys soccer team in Thailand) that makes you feel good about humanity.

It was originally on Nat Geo, but is on Disney+ now (at least it is in Australia, not sure about the rest of the world)