Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I very colorful moth visited me yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
That's some amazing texture/colours! I really want to photograph more moths I think they are probably the most interesting subjects close up but I just never seem to see them anymore around here, maybe I need a moth light to get them to show for portraits.

Buff-tailed Bumblebee on Hebe by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 10, 2020

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Found a jumping spider on my bathroom mirror.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Surprised it wasn't jumping at itself, the last few times I've tried to shoot them they've all jumped at my lens which is pretty surprising when it happens.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This guy was pretty chilled out. He lives in my bathroom, and I don't have the heart to move him out.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

toggle posted:

This guy was pretty chilled out. He lives in my bathroom, and I don't have the heart to move him out.

Don't move them out they are great for keeping down insects, and they are cool I think there's a about 5 different Zebra Jumpers in my house.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, unless you live in Australia, keep indoor spiders where they are.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Flight shot bokeh!

Flight by Aves Lux, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Flight shot bokeh!

Flight by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Very nice!

I am not sure how original this is, but I love the mosaic effect it has.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

A California King snake has been hanging out in my garden. It is very shy, and the only in-focus shot I have gotten is with a lovely background.

And then there is this.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Snakes are cool, bees are cool, reflections are cool, you are all cool.

I'm in the UK where all we have in our gardens is small hoverflies and we like it

Hoverfly by Aves Lux, on Flickr

On the wing by Aves Lux, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

I'm in the UK where all we have in our gardens is small hoverflies and we like it

drat! I can only dream of getting the eyes and the wings in focus simultaneously like that.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

drat! I can only dream of getting the eyes and the wings in focus simultaneously like that.

It's about the angle, visualise that thin cuboid of depth of field floating in front of your lens at your focal distance and try to lay it over your subject at any angle where the things you want are in focus.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

It's about the angle, visualise that thin cuboid of depth of field floating in front of your lens at your focal distance and try to lay it over your subject at any angle where the things you want are in focus.

The critters I deal with are way too active to allow such fine control.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

On the wing by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Fantastic stuff!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

The critters I deal with are way too active to allow such fine control.

Hoverflies are pretty active but yeah they do stay still occasionally, What's the main thing you find it hard to get to cooperate?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

jarlywarly posted:

Hoverflies are pretty active but yeah they do stay still occasionally, What's the main thing you find it hard to get to cooperate?

Most things that are alive. I think my main issue is that I move around too much. My success rate would probably be much higher if I focused on one [critter] and stayed put at one location that [critter] likes so it gets used to me.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

Most things that are alive. I think my main issue is that I move around too much. My success rate would probably be much higher if I focused on one [critter] and stayed put at one location that [critter] likes so it gets used to me.

I tend to pick a plant or area of plants and stake it out, but 90% of my macro shots are taken in my garden. Going out in the field with my macro gear has generally led to frustration I need a low seat and lots of time. Luckily I have a decently sized rural garden and grow plants for insects and have wilder areas so we have decent variety.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Jumping spiders are the best spiders.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
What's better than 1 spider? Tons of tiny spiders

Matriphagy? by Aves Lux, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Who are you?

Bad camouflage.

Nice chest hair!

It's a green lynx spider.

And a fly.

Before you ask, no the white balance is not off, at least not completely. I have both orange and yellow poppies.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

A few recent ones:

Bee-mimic robber fly

Scorpionfly feeding

20200614-HA4A3442.jpg

Jumping spider with beautiful eyelashes

Jarly, I ended up swapping the bulb head back to the fresnel head. I did some testing with both configs shooting a steel ball bearing and I can't tell a difference in light quality. But the fresnel puts out more light, and I can pivot it up and down to control how much on-axis light I get. Still happy with the setup!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Graniteman posted:

A few recent ones:

Bee-mimic robber fly

Scorpionfly feeding

20200614-HA4A3442.jpg

Jumping spider with beautiful eyelashes

Jarly, I ended up swapping the bulb head back to the fresnel head. I did some testing with both configs shooting a steel ball bearing and I can't tell a difference in light quality. But the fresnel puts out more light, and I can pivot it up and down to control how much on-axis light I get. Still happy with the setup!

Getting gorgeous shots as well, lovely even light.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Lovely.

Can you post more details about your diffuser?

Edit: Another poppy tenant.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 2, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

Lovely.

Edit: Another poppy tenant.

There are some photos of a setup on their Flickr channel, not sure if it's the exact same one they are using here.

Pulled out the MP-E65 for some 2x+ action

Dagger Fly by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Dagger Fly 2 by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Fallen Verbena Flower by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

theHUNGERian posted:

Lovely.

It's the same setup I discussed and linked to photos on page 52 of this thread (the flash and lens inspired by Jarly's posts). I've changed it a bit since the post on p52 though:
the bulb head is replaced with a fresnel head. I angle the head up and down to control how much on-axis light I get. In that first picture of the robber fly above, it's angled low so I get a lot of light coming head-on at the fly. In the other pics the head is angled up more so the light bounces more from above.
I've also done a cleaner job with the wire supports and generally made it look a little less thrown together now that I know what I want from it.

I also shoot with the flash bender angled down more so it basically touches the big diffuser. I'm about to use some velcro tape to actually attach them and the front edges and see how that works for me.

Graniteman fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 2, 2020

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

This is a Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) having some moisture from the damp earth.
It's only 16mm in size (0.6 of an inch) so had to use my Nikon D7000 with Tamron 90mm macro lens to get close and sharp.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Before I pull the trigger on the Laowa 15mm f/4 are there other wide angle options in the £500 price range in Nikon or Sony A mount? (dull story, my sigma 70mm 2.8 came with a free Sony A37)

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

learnincurve posted:

Before I pull the trigger on the Laowa 15mm f/4 are there other wide angle options in the £500 price range in Nikon or Sony A mount? (dull story, my sigma 70mm 2.8 came with a free Sony A37)

The Laowa 15mm is an extraordinarily hard lens to use well as a macro lens, I've yet to take a photo with it I like.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Am I right in thinking a lot of the really great images you see with it owe a lot to how well you can edit away the distortion? I adore the A mount Sony 30mm macro and have it as my walkabout lens and was hoping this would take its place, but maybe not.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

learnincurve posted:

Am I right in thinking a lot of the really great images you see with it owe a lot to how well you can edit away the distortion? I adore the A mount Sony 30mm macro and have it as my walkabout lens and was hoping this would take its place, but maybe not.

It's probably just me sucking at photography or subconsciously preferring tighter fields of view it's hard to compose for close up with wide angle the whole background matters so much more, it's like you have both problems - lack of depth of field with macro and composition with wide angle at the same time.

Also I'm using a DSLR so I have the dark screen issue with live view when using smaller apertures, I'd need to set f/16 on a electronic aperture lens then swap and I always forget.

I'm interested in any good shots you've seen so I can shamelessly steal ideas. I have seen some shots with it that are cool but some of them I have no idea how they got so close, and boy do you need to be close with this lens I think you need a static subject that will let you get within centimeters, plants on a still day, that lucky find of a sleeping morning dragonflies/butterfly that kind of thing that you get up at 5am for. I'm going to try again with mushroom clusters this autumn.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Best shots I’ve seen with it is where they show the bug in the environment where it lives (I may be quoting someone further back in this thread) so the bug on the log with the whole forest in the background kind of thing but if it’s a pain in the arse of a lens then I’ll stick to the 30mm which is an actual dream to use on manual with Sony’s focus peaking and look at the 40mm in Nikon.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

learnincurve posted:

Best shots I’ve seen with it is where they show the bug in the environment where it lives (I may be quoting someone further back in this thread) so the bug on the log with the whole forest in the background kind of thing but if it’s a pain in the arse of a lens then I’ll stick to the 30mm which is an actual dream to use on manual with Sony’s focus peaking and look at the 40mm in Nikon.

Yeah I know the shots you mean, looking around on Flickr, there's a lot of people using a speedbooster with it. I understand that shot is possible with the lens, the practicalities of just walking around with it handheld and getting them seem hard. You have to be so close, you need that rarest of things the still and undisturbable bug if it's small you are literally mm away I picture people with tripods searching for sleeping dragonflies then setting up a tripod with a rail and inching the camera closer for eye focus then taking a long exposure or off camera lit shot, luck and effort. Maybe mirrorless makes it easier.

Larger things like lizards etc seem more practical, there's an amazing snake shot I've seen with it taken with a flash so there must have been a decent amount of distance for that but then is that just something any wide angle lens could do? It's often hard to tell how small/close something is when you are not familiar with the species.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Is this the same Laowa lens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZcYXUMkhek

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Yeah.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ha! Was just about to post the same video.

NOTE: The best pictures in that video were taken with the 10-17 Pentax.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh I was watching it at the bus stop and thinking normal super wide with a close focusing distance like the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 might not be better for the vast majority of people

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

learnincurve posted:

Yeh I was watching it at the bus stop and thinking normal super wide with a close focusing distance like the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 might not be better for the vast majority of people

I'd tend to agree, the macro function on this lens requires getting real loving close, I'll take a photo with it and then a photo of the working distance for you when I get around to it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
How *annoying* is this, was being proper hurried along by my kids, saw the ladybug, went “oOh ladybug” and just took a picture with autofocus and live view and only looked at it when I got home.

Super happy friendship group by learnin curve, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
A cool fly with iridescent eyes

Spectacled Berry Fly wings by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Spectacled Berry Fly by Aves Lux, on Flickr