Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
FEET

Found an enormous tomato hornworm in my garden bent in a u-shape holding onto a pepper plant and took this.

Also I had some test prints of a couple pictures made for the first time at the encouragement of my wife and it's a weird feeling but also very cool to see them on something other than a computer screen.

tomato hornworm feet-1 by Kevin Long, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
That's amazing!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Fingers McLongDong posted:

FEET

Found an enormous tomato hornworm in my garden bent in a u-shape holding onto a pepper plant and took this.

Also I had some test prints of a couple pictures made for the first time at the encouragement of my wife and it's a weird feeling but also very cool to see them on something other than a computer screen.

Very nice!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

FEET

Very cool! Abstract macro photos make really great wall prints.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Great shot, and great idea for a shot, too.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Of course, like a complete moron, I sold off my Metabones adapter because "I don't need anything more than a dummy adapter for Macro, I'm manual focussing!" and totally overlooked the fact that I no longer have aperture control.

Shallow DoF makes a Salti salty.

_DSC9116 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I still like it. Shallow DoF can look good when you nail the eyes and get an interesting angle.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

sildargod posted:

Of course, like a complete moron, I sold off my Metabones adapter because "I don't need anything more than a dummy adapter for Macro, I'm manual focussing!" and totally overlooked the fact that I no longer have aperture control.

Shallow DoF makes a Salti salty.

While I agree that no automatic aperture control sucks for macro, I’ll mention the old workaround where you can stop down the lens on your other camera that has aperture control for your macro lens, then just take the lens off while it’s powered up. The aperture blades will stay stopped down when you put it on your macro camera.

Unless you don’t have a camera that can control the aperture blades, in which case you are out of luck.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Graniteman posted:

Unless you don’t have a camera that can control the aperture blades, in which case you are out of luck.

This would be it right here. I have a viltrox adapter inbound with AF and aperture controls, though realistically I'll only use the aperture controls on it. Worst comes to it, I've seen another metabones for a few hundred less than new at my local camera place so I might just have to bite the bullet for the convenience.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I have been taking some photos of salamanders and insects at night. I have been using the flash that came with my camera because it was easy, but I think it would be worthwhile to get a flash and some sort of diffuser. Any suggestions? What do people like using?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

accipter posted:

I have been taking some photos of salamanders and insects at night. I have been using the flash that came with my camera because it was easy, but I think it would be worthwhile to get a flash and some sort of diffuser. Any suggestions? What do people like using?

The main issue is that most flashes are designed to be bounced but for macro outdoors you want them aimed at the subject. And ring lights don't give the best light, dedicated macro twilights are hard to diffuse.

Unless you build some sort of bracket to point the flash the next best thing is a big Godox or Yongnuo with a flexible soft box and use that to direct the flash at the subject.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

accipter posted:

What works for you depends on your budget, your expectations, and your time. I settled on a Gary Fong Lightsphere and I am happy.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I tried a focus stack with a Ulobridae which turned out far better than I'd expected:

STACK by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Not stacked, but showing off the feather of their Featherleg status:

_DSC0734 by Kaleem Rorke, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

First mosquito of the summer

Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Raikyn posted:

First mosquito of the summer

Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

I hate it (not the photo)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Nice photos Toggle!

I found a thin green spider on my car door in cold weather stasis so I took it inside and put it on flowers in a photo cube until it came to. I'm desperate for winter subjects already. He lives in my house now.

Apparently I can't remember the bbcode to share images from flickr on mobile

https://flic.kr/p/2mMXdhR

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 30, 2021

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Another mosquito this summer

Striped Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Raikyn posted:

Another mosquito this summer

Striped Mosquito by Marc, on Flickr

That’s loving wild

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Found a sleepy moth still enough to get on film

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Not sure on the ID here, but what a pose!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Great shot, it even decided to stand perfectly framed

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

marshmonkey posted:

Great shot, it even decided to stand perfectly framed

Cheers! Right place right time I guess!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It was getting dark, and I have one manual macro lens with no image stabilisation, but I was pleased with how this one turned out

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

It was getting dark, and I have one manual macro lens with no image stabilisation, but I was pleased with how this one turned out

Love the image within the drop. Looks great!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Honey Bee wing by Aves Lux, on Flickr

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
great scott

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
They're all good, but the Crab Spider is especially nice.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
Oh hey I finally found the macro thread! Love all the shots in here so drat much, I have gone through every page.

For a long time I was exclusively shooting insects and plants, but over the last few years I've been taking my camera into the lab

DSC_4387 by Gene Drendel, on Flickr

DSC_1134 by Gene Drendel, on Flickr

DSC_1952 by Gene Drendel, on Flickr

DSC_0697 by Gene Drendel, on Flickr

DSC_0606 by Gene Drendel, on Flickr

DSC_3383 by Gene Drendel, on Flickr

DSC_4355 by Gene Drendel, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Nice stuff, I think you would also enjoy the microscopy thread too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902840

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

Megabound posted:

Nice stuff, I think you would also enjoy the microscopy thread too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902840

Very much so, thank you for the link!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
taken with a canon 100mm macro f/2.8

love this lens

not mega macro but I like them

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
I bought myself a Laowa 65mm Macro lens and a cheap flash as a treat. I have to say it's a lot of fun hunting these little critters down and the lens performs really well, as far as I can tell.

Mayfly in May by M Musket, on Flickr

Red Mite by M Musket, on Flickr

Fibonacci Millipede by M Musket, on Flickr

Millipede by M Musket, on Flickr

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

A desperate attempt to bump the macro thread and see more of your awesome shots. And of course some of my own:

Unknown Fly by M Musket, on Flickr

A Six Spotted Tiger Beetle
DSCF1943 by M Musket, on Flickr

A Snail
DSCF2258 by M Musket, on Flickr

I think this is a Robber Fly pretending to be a bumblebee
DSCF2310 by M Musket, on Flickr

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
That tiger beetle shot loving rules, that would great printed out. Evokes thoughts of a kaiju coming down out of a forest or something. Nice job! I'll post something later to help keep the thread alive.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I've not done so much macro yet this year here's some recent ones though

Hoverfly with eggs by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Bumblebee by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Bumblebee on Chive by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Red Tailed Bumblebee by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Drone Incognito posted:

A desperate attempt to bump the macro thread and see more of your awesome shots. And of course some of my own:

Agreed that tiger beetle shot is great. Those guys are really tough to approach, so respect for the technique!

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

I've not done so much macro yet this year here's some recent ones though

Still some lovely shots of bees! I'll admit, it was looking through this thread and seeing some of you photos in particular that finally made me bite the bullet and buy a macro lens. No regrets.

Graniteman posted:

Agreed that tiger beetle shot is great. Those guys are really tough to approach, so respect for the techniqute!

Thank you! Some day I'll figure out how to get things printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I don't know how you get those amazing insect photos, I can barely keep non-moving plants in proper focus.

I took these a month and a half ago, first run with my new Sigma 105mm f2.8 DG DN macro