Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to force the exposure simulation thing to stay on for longer on Canon cameras?

Like I have the camera on a tripod using live mode and I half-press the shutter so I can see the thing at 1/250 f22 or whatever, then I move the tripod to recompose and like six seconds later the simulation stops and I get a black screen with the UI on it again. I scoured the menu but couldn’t see any exposure simulation settings.

Edit: Of course right after this I find the context-specific menu item.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Not sure you're actually shooting at f/22 but, just in case, you probably shouldn't. The loss of sharpness is drastic and the gain in depth of field is almost certainly not enough to be worth the trade-off. It'll also cut off a lot of ambient light you'd capture otherwise, resulting in darkened backgrounds unless they're very close to the subject (i.e. within reach of your flash) or under direct sunlight.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

seravid posted:

Not sure you're actually shooting at f/22 but, just in case, you probably shouldn't. The loss of sharpness is drastic and the gain in depth of field is almost certainly not enough to be worth the trade-off. It'll also cut off a lot of ambient light you'd capture otherwise, resulting in darkened backgrounds unless they're very close to the subject (i.e. within reach of your flash) or under direct sunlight.

Nah I was exaggerating, I'm mostly shooting at f/10 to f/18.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

tuyop posted:

Nah I was exaggerating, I'm mostly shooting at f/10 to f/18.

At 1x f/10 = effective f/20 due to the bellows effect

Effective aperture f/(set aperture * magnification factor)

If you shoot ISO 100 f/11 1x not much non flash light gets though, so your background needs to be close to get in shot, you can use a fake background to help.

In fact you want no natural light mostly, because sun driven highlights that are bright enough will create weird effects in your shots.

You can shoot at lower sync speed (you want ISO for detail and aperture for DoF)If you get the balance right it works but you have to manage the non flash light, too much and you get ghosting and shadows.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Small White Butterfly by Aves Lux, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Some picks from this month. Last three were taken using the Godox MF12 flash I've just received. As expected, it needs significant diffusion, but so far I'm very happy with the QoL improvements over my old setup and also and the possibilities it provides - last photo was taken late at night, thanks to effective integrated modelling lights.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Incredible!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

tuyop posted:

Incredible!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Adorable! :3:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I need to learn more about where cool bugs live so I'm not just hoping for bees to wander by and hold still for a second.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What are people using for flash brackets? I’ve got a 90D and a 430EX if that helps.

The speed light has a little bracket mount on its side, but I can’t find the piece that’s supposed to thread into there at Henry’s or Amazon. Should I just ignore that?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

tuyop posted:

What are people using for flash brackets? I’ve got a 90D and a 430EX if that helps.

The speed light has a little bracket mount on its side, but I can’t find the piece that’s supposed to thread into there at Henry’s or Amazon. Should I just ignore that?

Before I got the MT-26EX-RT I was using a cage and some angle backets with cold-shoes to mount a hotshoe extender for my Yonnguo/AD200 head

Holly Blue by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Bumblebee feeds on Verbena by Aves Lux, on Flickr

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 29, 2022

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

jarlywarly posted:

Awesome Bumblebee

I really like how your shots come out. Unless it's a secret what kind of post-processing do you do on shots like that or in general?

And for some content:

Sweat Bee on Flower by M Musket, on Flickr

DSCF2775 by M Musket, on Flickr

DSCF2534 by M Musket, on Flickr

Planthopper by M Musket, on Flickr

The Planthopper isn't the best shot, but they are just super rad so had to share it anyway.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Drone Incognito posted:

I really like how your shots come out. Unless it's a secret what kind of post-processing do you do on shots like that or in general?

For bees I have a weird process that I should probably review or understand better myself because it doesn't really make much sense when I go through it..

I shoot under exposed, even though bees are mostly dark, the light bits are key to the tone and I really don't like the shots I have tried at "normal" exposure they look over "flashed" in bad 90's way.

One key thing is to make sure you adjust your white balance if you are shooting flash, all the green from the surrounds can screw up AWB and it's an easy fix in LR.

A lot of other bee shots I see around are not your classic UK Garden Bumble Bee (red tailed, garden, buff tailed etc) i.e. lighter in general Wool Carder, Blue Mason Bees etc which I don't tend to get in my northern UK garden and are all easier to shoot from a colour perspective as they have less deep black in key places, eye/face etc. The bees I shoot tend to be darker, and basically black hair and black eyes that is very dark and hard to expose, i.e. like a black cat. But over revving the flash gives a look I don't like for all the other bits of the bee and the surrounds.

So I shoot under exposed and then I do all the things that you are told not to do when you edit, I "HDR" (max shadows and min highlights) the poo poo out of it in Lightroom, then I export to Topaz then I HDR the poo poo again out of the TIFF file because the sliders wont let me do it in LR to just the CR3:)

So I am essentially relying on the ability of the R5 RAW file to be abused to gently caress and breaking all the "rules" but the result seems to be something that shows the details of this almost "vanta black" subject without overrevving the other bits.

Maybe my lighting just sucks.. Maybe there's some subtler way to achieve it..

From right to left, on import, after LR edit, after Topaz and reimport.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

Thanks for that! Seeing everyone's behind the scenes process is very helpful.

It's kind of amazing how clean that all looks when you crank that shadows up that much. I'm not sure if my Fuji RAWs would have as much details recoverable without noise. Time to play around in Capture One a bit.

I do at least one thing similar to you. That Highlights slider is going wayyyy down. Feels like a quick and dirty way to remove some of the hotter spots from my flash. Maybe a bigger or better diffuser could help with that too.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I'm reporting you to the macro police.

Interesting technique, the results speak for themselves. You can see a watercolor-y glow in the OOF areas, but it's surprisingly unobtrusive. Denoisers have come a long way. And the R5 is a hell of a camera, of course. Though I will say I prefer the middle photo, the second pass tones down the lights too much IMO

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Wow, the colors in this one :eyepop:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Really love that one too. I have such a hard time getting good pictures of lighter colored crab spiders on bright flowers, since they like to mimic the color of the flower, nice job.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've only come across a few spiders on flowers and every single time, they rotate up and under the petals. I found an amazing white one and I was telling the duder to come out and he wasn't having it. People around me probably thought i was nuts.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I assume people think I'm being a weirdo when they see me being hyper fixated on a flower when I do find a crab spider, but hopefully the camera with the big diffuser hood makes them think I'm not.

There's a really fun Attenborough documentary on netflix called Life in Color that dedicates some time to jumping spiders and crab spiders, if anyone cares. I honestly wasn't aware crab spiders could color shift based on what flower they were on until I watched it. Hunting for them whenever I walk past a flower is a fun little pastime of mine.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

That spider on the pink flower is the most soothing spider I've ever seen. Never seen a spider with vaporwave aesthetic before.

I find it really funny when people walk by when I'm trying to take insect photos. If they say hello or ask what I'm up to it's always fun to give them a little walkthrough and show them the cool critters they are just walking past.

As an aside I find it a bit sad how sheltered people are from all the awesome small creatures around them. I started posting my things in the local hiking group for my state and it always ends up with questions like "Wow! What is that?" on a picture of a common millipede. It was surprising to me that people who you would assume like the outdoors are ignorant of all the things that are out there with them. It does provide an educational opportunity though, which only gives me more reasons to get out there and find interesting bugs.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

seravid posted:

I'm reporting you to the macro police.

Interesting technique, the results speak for themselves. You can see a watercolor-y glow in the OOF areas, but it's surprisingly unobtrusive. Denoisers have come a long way. And the R5 is a hell of a camera, of course. Though I will say I prefer the middle photo, the second pass tones down the lights too much IMO

YES YES INJECT HOVERFLY FEEDING SHOTS INTO MY VEINS

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Re. crabs in flowers: I, too, look like a dork carefully inspecting every flower I come across. Some of these spiders are real tiny. Then it's a numbers game. Some days you find zero, some days you find two in a row:

Ethical question for the thread: the foreground is too busy and ruins the shot. Should I content-aware that away? As far as bad practices go in macro, this wouldn't even register but, to me, it still feels like a step too far.

jarlywarly posted:

YES YES INJECT HOVERFLY FEEDING SHOTS INTO MY VEINS

Got a couple more for you

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_0459-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Harvestman spider spider cosplayer

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

thats awesome

love this guy too

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Helen Highwater posted:

IMG_0459-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Harvestman spider spider cosplayer
I have never seen their weird little face beaks before

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
They are super cool

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Neon Noodle posted:

I have never seen their weird little face beaks before

I posted the pic in the pets channel of my work Slack and I'm getting ... mixed reactions.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Don't worry, ma'am, I'm fully licensed to walk around at night looking into every nook and cranny with two illuminated marmalade containers attached to a camera

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

3.5:1 macro of a moths eye - Laowa Ultra Macro on a Canon R7

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

AceClown posted:

3.5:1 macro of a moths eye - Laowa Ultra Macro on a Canon R7

Dope!

Besides cost, is there any reason you didn't go with the MP-E?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

theHUNGERian posted:

Dope!

Besides cost, is there any reason you didn't go with the MP-E?
The Laowa is significantly better than the MP-E in image quality in its mag range. The MP-E didn't even make it into the lineup on Robert OToole's tests here https://www.closeuphotography.com/laowa-25mm-macro-lens-test

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah it's an odd space for a lens though a min of 2.5x is not real practical in the field so it's mostly useful as a stacking in the studio type lens where an objective might do a better job.

There really needs to be a FF 0.5-3x lens with electronic aperture control, Canon MP-E65 is getting older now and does suck over 2.5x with diffraction mostly, but Laowa lenses recently seem to all be manual aperture which is tough to use in the field with a laggy viewfinder. I really need to get motivated to send my EF Laowa 100mm 1x to China to get flashed so it doesn't auto crop on my R5 (god drat Canon why not make it optional again)

If you are going to the trouble of shooting dead insects I would look to get some lights and stack them with a rail.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Dance Fly by Aves Lux, on Flickr

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If I wanted to get above 2x while balancing working distance and image quality, what are my options? I currently have a 180 mm macro and a 2x extender. I feel I have plenty of working distance, but not as much image quality.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

If I wanted to get above 2x while balancing working distance and image quality, what are my options? I currently have a 180 mm macro and a 2x extender. I feel I have plenty of working distance, but not as much image quality.

I'm currently using an old Sigma DG EX 24-70 f2.8* with two (stops? rings? levels?) of extension tubes to get around that level of magnification. I have to manually set the aperture to F8 then do the trick where you take the lens off while holding down the AP button so I can't change it on the fly but I've found F8 just works. I also have to extend the lens all the way to 70mm and it gives a working distance of about 6 inches.

This is an uncropped image from APS sensor on the R7:

* I think this lens is now discontinued but I can't think of any reason why a regular 28-70 wouldn't work in its place

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
That's nowhere near 2x though right?

R7 sensor 22.30mm x 14.80mm

2x would be a 2:1 representation on the sensor, ie 5mm of subject would become 10mm on the sensor plane.

A hoverfly of ~10mm would fill the frame end to end at 2x

Your setup might have a max mag of 2x at MFD but those images are not demonstrating it.

1x is well close enough for most larger insects especially on crop, 2x is a large bees face almost filling your frame.

If you want to shoot live insects over 1x getting really really close is just part of it, it's rare to be able to get close, weather conditions are the biggest part.

Everything else gets harder as well

1x effective apertures are f/11 = f/22
2x f/11 = f/33

So diffraction and light loss are huge as well as DoF decrease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

That's nowhere near 2x though right?

R7 sensor 22.30mm x 14.80mm

2x would be a 2:1 representation on the sensor, ie 5mm of subject would become 10mm on the sensor plane.

A hoverfly of ~10mm would fill the frame end to end at 2x

Your setup might have a max mag of 2x at MFD but those images are not demonstrating it.

1x is well close enough for most larger insects especially on crop, 2x is a large bees face almost filling your frame.

If you want to shoot live insects over 1x getting really really close is just part of it, it's rare to be able to get close, weather conditions are the biggest part.

Everything else gets harder as well

1x effective apertures are f/11 = f/22
2x f/11 = f/33

So diffraction and light loss are huge as well as DoF decrease.

Yeah sorry, I'm not knowledgeable about the technicals of it yet really and was just assuming "insect is twice as big uncropped therefore must be 2x" lol