Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fknlo posted:

That guy was specifically talking about that older car and asking if the new one had actually improved over it.

yeah and then he was like now, in 2020, you should buy a jetta :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Look either goons do or do not buy new cars, which is it?!

I ONLY buy new cars because old cars break and I hate fixing cars.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Current Mazda 3 buttons and switchgear feel is better than the competition imo.
Stereo way better, too. They mount the woofers in the kickpanel area instead of the doors. Less vibrations so you can really drown out the admittedly crappy noise of the 2.5L.

The sedan 3 is really handsome but a non starter for taller humans.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

I ONLY buy new cars because old cars break and I hate fixing cars.

Yuuuuuuuup.

I like to warm happy cocoon of a warranty.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KakerMix posted:

Look either goons do or do not buy new cars, which is it?!

I want to buy new cars, but I can't afford them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
The old Mazda 6 (2014 maybe?) interior was nothing special but the newer CX5/9s I’ve been in have been great.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

fknlo posted:

That guy was specifically talking about that older car and asking if the new one had actually improved over it.

And I already said yes, it's miles better. Here's more than a thousand words explaining why it's good, with plenty of pictures: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/01/the-all-new-2019-mazda-3-punches-far-above-its-weight-for-under-30000/

There's a reason it was one of the three finalists for this year's World Car of the Year awards. But weirdly, the CX-30 is actually even better: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/12/the-2020-mazda-cx-30-is-a-crossover-youll-actually-enjoy-driving/

As smooth jazz points out, the switchgear is much improved. Mazda made sure that every different button and switch has the same feel, so they all click at the same point and the whole thing feels of a piece. I can't actually think of another OEM that has the same attention to detail. All the fonts and typefaces match, and they even went as far as making sure the color temperature and brightness of all the backlit illuminations matches up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Funny how they get all those little details but don't fix the one thing in my 2016 3 that actually bothers me - glossy low density plastics that scratch if you even think about touching them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The new Jetta looks like a Skoda (which I like). Don't know anything else about the car.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Charles posted:

The new Jetta looks like a Skoda (which I like). Don't know anything else about the car.

I drove around in the new Jetta and I think it's great for what it is. The infotainment system is really easy to use, the Turbo 1.4T is great for most real world driving scenarios and I think that the car feels "solid".

Where the new Jetta fails is when you try to push it past daily driving. For instance if you're trying to take off from a light you will feel the torque and it gives you the impression you're accelerating fast (you aren't at least not past 40-50kph). Once you're at highway speeds the limitations start to show. When you floor it to do a passing maneuver there is no torque left and the power is nonexistent. The entire car was tuned to give you a nice boost from 0-40 and then it peters out after that. The suspension also sucks. It's great when you drive in a straight line and want to have a comfortable road trip. But when you're trying to take sharp turns at speed it'll roll around like a boat.

At lower trim levels it's just a really simple easy to use car and feels nice to drive within the limits of daily driving behaviors. If you ask it for anything else it'll disappoint you. It uses a lot of cheap plastic but again it's really simple so there's less room to look chintzy and cheap because you aren't putting frills on the vehicle.

I have only seen the new Mazdas but haven't driven them but I'm going to assume the suspension is tuned better so you don't rock around in turns and you can accelerate a bit better when you're at highway speeds. The interiors depending on trim are probably more luxurious as well and the reliability is probably better. But compared to my 2014 Mazda and the New Jettas I'd rather have the Jetta.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 21, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kraftwerk posted:

:words: about Jettas.

Has the transmission tuning gotten any better? My better half has a ‘16 GLI, and the transmission is just absolute dog poo poo off-idle and at low speeds. Thing just flat refuses to slip the clutch and be smooth. It’s great when you push it, to be fair.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

MrYenko posted:

Has the transmission tuning gotten any better? My better half has a ‘16 GLI, and the transmission is just absolute dog poo poo off-idle and at low speeds. Thing just flat refuses to slip the clutch and be smooth. It’s great when you push it, to be fair.

It's an 8-Speed Aisin. So yes.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Kraftwerk posted:

At lower trim levels it's just a really simple easy to use car and feels nice to drive within the limits of daily driving behaviors.

that's almost every car on the market these days, at least in north america

in 2020 "pretty good" is now a baseline expectation, not something to brag about

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kraftwerk posted:

It's an 8-Speed Aisin. So yes.

Meh, I just realized that the GLI had and has a different transmission. MrsYenko would love a trip report if anyone gets to drive the new 7spd DSG.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm still curious if there's such a thing as a reliable DSG

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The problems seem to be entirely with dry clutch models, wet clutches in the more powerful cars hold up much better.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Charles posted:

I'm still curious if there's such a thing as a reliable DSG

Porsche.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

PDK is magical.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the PDK maint interval is longer than the DSG lmao

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
im just about to hit 30k on dsg and going to change it 10k early

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why the gently caress would you buy an automatic transmission with more maintenance requirements than changing fluids? Do dual clutch's require regular clutch replacements?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dissss posted:

The problems seem to be entirely with dry clutch models, wet clutches in the more powerful cars hold up much better.

My Focus diesel has the wet clutch DSG and doesn't have the same issues as the dry clutch box put in the petrol models

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KillHour posted:

Why the gently caress would you buy an automatic transmission with more maintenance requirements than changing fluids? Do dual clutch's require regular clutch replacements?

Just a fluid flush every 40k. You can upgrade the clutches if you're drag racing.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

they make fantastic fart sounds under hard acceleration

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I had a DSG in my S4 and never had any reliability issues with it. I know there were some issues with the mechatronic unit on earlier models but I had a later version. My only complaint with it would be that once in a while you could “trick it” by asking for an unexpected gear change so it would take a second or two before it responded or it would momentarily hang in neutral but that only happened to me 2 or 3 times over the several years that I owned it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jymmybob posted:

they make fantastic fart sounds under hard acceleration

Manual F8x M's do this as well. It's ridiculous and I love it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Got a new Cayenne S as a loaner while our Macan is in and man, this is heads and shoulders above the LR Discovery we had as a rental on vacation a few months back. PDK is still awesome. Although it feels big, it feels way more nimble/better to drive than anything else I've driven that's similar in size. The Macan still feels much better to drive though, and I wonder how much larger the Cayenne really is inside.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

I want to buy new cars, but I can't afford them.

Don't worry, you're not missing anything because they mostly all suck, especially anything under $30k.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

Got a new Cayenne S as a loaner while our Macan is in and man, this is heads and shoulders above the LR Discovery we had as a rental on vacation a few months back. PDK is still awesome. Although it feels big, it feels way more nimble/better to drive than anything else I've driven that's similar in size. The Macan still feels much better to drive though, and I wonder how much larger the Cayenne really is inside.

The Cayenne's quite a bit more expensive, I think that would make sense. I wonder how used values are holding up for the Macan, it looks pretty tempting as a used buy.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Residency Evil posted:

I wonder how much larger the Cayenne really is inside.

I don't know if it's changed much on the latest gen, but I was comparing the previous gen and in the front there isn't much of a difference, the cayenne feels a touch roomier but the center consol takes up a good amount of space so it doesn't have that same huge feeling of the first gen as the width of the consol bites into your leg room.

The rear and cargo areas is a big difference though. Much less headroom and leg room in the macan and the cargo area in the cayenne is deeper. It's also a taller space as the roof doesn't slope down so much in the back.

It's likely better on the latest one, but even the previous gen the cayenne handles surprisingly well for its size, the Macan just handles well period.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So how is the Porsche service department experience?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Excellent and similarly priced to the other euros

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Just popping in to say gitlin is an idiot. This AIer bought a new car a year and a half ago and is presently starting the process to do so again.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
There are some nice deals around right now, I found the 30k comment above interesting and took a quick look around, our local Ford dealer has a new Mustang GT for $31631 (38k sticker). It seems to have zero options but $32k for a 460hp car is still pretty sweet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i bought a 25k golf alltrack and frankly i'm ashamed how much i like it

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i bought a 25k golf alltrack and frankly i'm ashamed how much i like it

You should not be ashamed of liking a nice wagon!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

There are plenty of good cars out there for under 30k for most everyone who isn’t inconsolably angry that cars are different than they were 20 years ago.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There are plenty of good cars out there for under 30k for most everyone who isn’t inconsolably angry that cars are different than they were 20 years ago.

This.

Though I still can't afford those.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah ngl my life peaked when I got an Evo and it's been all downhill since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

The Cayenne's quite a bit more expensive, I think that would make sense. I wonder how used values are holding up for the Macan, it looks pretty tempting as a used buy.

The opposite is true. KBB has the Macan as having the best resale value in the segment, and I'm still seeing 5-year old Macans S around $30K.