Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hertz filed Chapter Eleven, which IIRC means they would restructure their debt but continue operating. It will be a while longer before anyone buys the name. Depending on how sustainable their restructured finances are, they might be in a position to buy out one of the other operators when they struggle. When the whole industry is crashing, being first into bankruptcy can be a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I completely agree but lol at that ever happening

Wife's company did phased pay cuts. Ceo took 40%, VPs took 30%, mid level took 20%, line managers (her) took 15% and employees took 7.5%. They do exist, it's just rare as Panthers in FL.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

40% at a CEO’s pay level probably hurts a hell of of a lot less than 7.5% at minimum wage

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rock My Socks! posted:

40% at a CEO’s pay level probably hurts a hell of of a lot less than 7.5% at minimum wage

Hey man, I took a 4 million dollar pay cut by going from 10 million to 6 million. We're all feeling the pain!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Hertz was in bad shape but had kind of turned things around in the last few years. Just too much debt from earlier mistakes. Rental car business is pretty tough. It's capital and labor intensive, and you need a really high utilization rate of assets to make money. Even if they cut all executive pay to zero it might buy them a week.

Wrar posted:

Wife's company did phased pay cuts. Ceo took 40%, VPs took 30%, mid level took 20%, line managers (her) took 15% and employees took 7.5%. They do exist, it's just rare as Panthers in FL.

We did this, too. Managing directors took 20%, directors took 15%, managers took 10%, people below managers did not have pay cuts.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Its not losing money, its spending money towards a good/service that you feel is worth the expenditure. For some people cars are completely transportation and completely a loss. For others, us, we spend the money for extras (power, performance, prestige, efficiency, etc) because we feel it is worth it.

By the time I sold my GTI after 10 years the cost per mile was around 30 cents over the life of the car, not accounting for gas.

So, cars can be fun and pretty efficient.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Keep it holy ya'll, back on track.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Elmnt80 posted:

Keep it holy ya'll, back on track.

What's the DEAL with new cars??

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So is Toyota ever going to redesign the 86? All it’s gotten is a minor facelift since 2012 right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rock My Socks! posted:

So is Toyota/Subaru ever going to redesign the 86? All it’s gotten is a minor facelift since 2012 right?

Yes, new one coming in 2021 or 22. Supposably with a FA24

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It was a hilariously irresponsible choice but I still love every moment I drive in my S5.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I kind of regret buying my Si new but I will probably buy a new car again if my economic situation stays solid. Right now I just kinda hate having a car payment for a car that goes nowhere.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

It was a hilariously irresponsible choice but I still love every moment I drive in my S5.

Do you have the old 4.2 v8, supercharged 6 or turbo 6?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Russian Bear posted:

Do you have the old 4.2 v8, supercharged 6 or turbo 6?

Turbo 6

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I like the Lincoln Corsair I'm leasing. The only option I didn't get was the package with the inverted grille design and 20" wheels.

Likes: Good balance of ride/handling, plenty of power, pretty good fuel economy, good use of space, very quiet inside, everything looks and feels nice, excellent build quality, the Revel stereo sounds great

Dislikes: Sync 3 is a little laggy and not as robust as its competitors; 24-way seats take a lot of fiddling to get just right - but when you do, you never touch them again and they hold up on long drives; cruise control buttons are weird - you pull from behind instead of pushing

I'm 6 months/6000 miles into the lease, and have no issues. Quality wise, I only spotted 2 defects from the factory - speaker grille in the middle of the dashboard is missing a clip, so one corner does not sit perfectly flush; on the inside of the driver's rear door there's a 1-2mm paint blip, presumably where a robot finger was during the painting process. The other doors don't have it.

Lincoln has stepped up their sales and service game. It was hands down the best purchase experience I've ever had. When I was ready to talk numbers, everything was via email with the salesman. I told him what I wanted, he provided me a nice portfolio of available vehicles, and the order option. I chose the order option, he provided me a full pricing breakout via spreadsheet, along with all available financing/lease options for that car. He even included the lease money factor right up front, which was surprising.

They had pretty aggressive lease incentives at the time, and the money factor was equivalent to financing, so I chose to lease. I put a deposit down, the salesman delivered to my door 4 weeks later with the paperwork to sign. He took an uber back, and it was done in my home in less than an hour. The salesman read me well the entire time, knew what the right level of contact and information to provide was.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 24, 2020

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Goober Peas posted:

I like the Lincoln Corsair I'm leasing. The only option I didn't get was the package with the inverted grille design and 20" wheels.

Did you get the hybrid or 2.3 turbo?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Wrar posted:

Did you get the hybrid or 2.3 turbo?

2.3 Turbo

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Goober Peas posted:

Likes: Good balance of ride/handling, plenty of power, pretty good fuel economy, good use of space, very quiet inside, everything looks and feels nice, excellent build quality, the Revel stereo sounds great

Dislikes: Sync 3 is a little laggy and not as robust as its competitors; 24-way seats take a lot of fiddling to get just right - but when you do, you never touch them again and they hold up on long drives; cruise control buttons are weird - you pull from behind instead of pushing

I'm 6 months/6000 miles into the lease, and have no issues. Quality wise, I only spotted 2 defects from the factory - speaker grille in the middle of the dashboard is missing a clip, so one corner does not sit perfectly flush; on the inside of the driver's rear door there's a 1-2mm paint blip, presumably where a robot finger was during the painting process. The other doors don't have it.

Lincoln has stepped up their sales and service game. It was hands down the best purchase experience I've ever had. When I was ready to talk numbers, everything was via email with the salesman. I told him what I wanted, he provided me a nice portfolio of available vehicles, and the order option. I chose the order option, he provided me a full pricing breakout via spreadsheet, along with all available financing/lease options for that car. He even included the lease money factor right up front, which was surprising.

They had pretty aggressive lease incentives at the time, and the money factor was equivalent to financing, so I chose to lease. I put a deposit down, the salesman delivered to my door 4 weeks later with the paperwork to sign. He took an uber back, and it was done in my home in less than an hour. The salesman read me well the entire time, knew what the right level of contact and information to provide was.

Yeah the Corsair is great. A real hidden gem right now, I think. I hope they update the nautilus soon to that standard because it hasn’t gotten a new interior since ‘16.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"i don't know what the Lincoln Corsair is but I bet it's an SUV."

[Googles]

"YEP"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'm just glad that Lincoln has finally gotten back to model names. No more MK* bullshit.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm just glad that Lincoln has finally gotten back to model names. No more MK* bullshit.

MK names that were read "mark" on some models and "em kay" on others.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KillHour posted:

"i don't know what the Lincoln Corsair is but I bet it's an SUV."

[Googles]

"YEP"

It's white too :sparkles:

They have a really neat looking bright blue, but it was going to be a 3 month wait if I ordered one that wasn't white/gray/silver.

Which is one of the reasons why I didn't go with the Volvo V60cc - it was going to be a 3 month wait because none of the dealers in the region stock wagons.

The dealer had a leftover Nautilus Black Label that was going to work out to be the same price as the Corsair. I just didn't like the interior, and honestly other than width the Corsair felt just as roomy with a smaller overall footprint.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 24, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Which is one of the reasons why I didn't go with the Volvo V60cc - it was going to be a 3 month wait because none of the dealers in the region stock wagons.

They don't sell even in places where they do stock them. If you go on leasehackr people are often getting 20-25% below MSRP on V60CC's that have less than 500 miles on them marked as previous loaners because that's the only way to move them.

Before I bought my latest there was a fully kitted, green 2020 V60 Cross Country that I was interested in, 300ish miles and 'previous loaner'. I emailed the dealer and said, 'I see on leasehacker these go 25% below MSRP, I'll take it if you can match'.

It took them three days to get back with, "Yes we can match" but by then I had already agreed to purchase my current car.

Similar mark downs on the (400hp?) S60 T8 super, turbo, plug in hybrid electric sedans as those apparently don't sell either. Oh, and you can get like $5k federal tax credit and depending on where you live a state tax credit as well. So, you can get new $60k MSRP S60 T8s for ~$40-44k if you are aggressive and will take whats on the lot.

Volvo is apparently only still in business because of XC90s and XC60s.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Everyone is only in business because of crossovers and SUVs. Apparently that’s an unpopular message here in AI, but it’s an inescapable truth.

Volvo specifically was up 10% YoY in 2019, and I think it’s had year-on-year growth every year for the last six years.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This is why I have no idea what the current Infiniti line-up is. Everything is just a Q.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Murgos posted:

They don't sell even in places where they do stock them. If you go on leasehackr people are often getting 20-25% below MSRP on V60CC's that have less than 500 miles on them marked as previous loaners because that's the only way to move them.

Before I bought my latest there was a fully kitted, green 2020 V60 Cross Country that I was interested in, 300ish miles and 'previous loaner'. I emailed the dealer and said, 'I see on leasehacker these go 25% below MSRP, I'll take it if you can match'.

It took them three days to get back with, "Yes we can match" but by then I had already agreed to purchase my current car.

Similar mark downs on the (400hp?) S60 T8 super, turbo, plug in hybrid electric sedans as those apparently don't sell either. Oh, and you can get like $5k federal tax credit and depending on where you live a state tax credit as well. So, you can get new $60k MSRP S60 T8s for ~$40-44k if you are aggressive and will take whats on the lot.

Volvo is apparently only still in business because of XC90s and XC60s.

Well poo poo. So the choice is either order a V60/v90 or get a v60XC for 20% off?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

I like the Lincoln Corsair I'm leasing....
He took an uber back, and it was done in my home in less than an hour. The salesman read me well the entire time, knew what the right level of contact and information to provide was.

Was your Lincoln dealership attached to a Ford dealership? Could the salesperson sell either brand?
I was at a Genesis dealer and the sales ppl were not to set foot into the Hyundai side and vice versa (they're very nice and professional about it)...

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

For the money you get a lot of car still tho - 202Kw, 360ish NM in a hatchback means this thing is going to need traction control which is decently tuned and I think can be dialled back if you want to be more aggressive - there's a N-mode that makes it noiser as well. The gearshift isnt what I call the best but it's good enough. Brakes are really impressive so it'll go and stop. Steering isnt quite as sharp or with t e feedback I like but that kinda seems to be more the way of modern cars. It's an understeerer of course but what hot hatch isnt? But it's happy to tricycle and even get some what frisky with some well applied left foot to get the weight shift really going. There's a "terms and conditions apply" warranty that allow track days as well.

The point that I really want to make isnt that it's pretty much a 8/10 car but admittedly there's better out there even if it is a performance bargain - it's that it is HILARIOUS thing to drive. Absolute get out of the car with a poo poo eating grin because it is just plain fun to throw around. Does it go around a corner with the sheer speed of a WRX at 10/10ths? Oh god no but you aint gonna give one iota of a gently caress. Is it a Golf R killer? gently caress no but you are going to like driving the i30 more. In the end the i30 really is a happy little shitbox stuffed full of engineering that hasnt had the Hyundai accountants go tut tut and cost cut like mad. That to me has always been Hyundai's big problem - there's long been a good car IF the accountants havent forced them to make them cheaply. Example - the Excel absolutly wakes up and becomes a killer car by throwing out the poo poo suspension. Someone let the engineers off the leash and the i30 N shows the results.

Summary - cheap shitbox given a massive makeover, a solid 8/10 for the dispassionate analysis but there more to having a blast than raw data. This is riot of car and in all honestly gently caress the Europeans, give this one a red hot go.

Albert Biermann's presence for the full development cycle of the latest generation of Hyundai products seems to have brought that last 20% Hyundai vehicles were missing to be great. The Optima I'm driving now is largely competent but misses the dynamic podium for two major reasons: the steering is too twitchy on-center, and the ride isn't quite as nice as you'd expect even with the thick sidewalls. The rear gets unsettled on bumpy roads, and sharper impacts like expansion joints come through a bit too clearly into the cabin.

I would also wait until the Hyundai 2.0T - a slow, inefficient, and unreliable motor - gets dropped for the new 2.5T in any vehicle that has the 2.0T as an engine option.

drgitlin posted:

Everyone is only in business because of crossovers and SUVs. Apparently that’s an unpopular message here in AI, but it’s an inescapable truth.

I think everyone here understands that an automaker today cannot survive just making cool cars for enthusiasts (hi Lotus!)

The tension comes from automakers removing cars from their lineup that rewarded driver involvement in favor of sanitized and emotionless mobility solutions, all while trading on those past glories to sell a present that is a pale imitation of the past. Here are some examples of what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsCROs_3l7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZrTyIdOj4M

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the acura one is really sad. ford still makes some fun cars at least. acura makes uhhhhh uhh buh the NSX? i guess?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the acura one is really sad. ford still makes some fun cars at least. acura makes uhhhhh uhh buh the NSX? i guess?

Fun Acura died when they axed all their stuff like the RSX and TSX sport wagon and they decided to move fully into the Lexus/Infiniti space.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Godzilla07 posted:

I would also wait until the Hyundai 2.0T - a slow, inefficient, and unreliable motor - gets dropped for the new 2.5T in any vehicle that has the 2.0T as an engine option.

Do not look into the history behind the 2.0T engine, it will destroy the reputation you hold of Hyundai.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I dunno there's a new TLX announcing May 28 that should be pretty rad. Twin turbo V6 and whatnot.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Residency Evil posted:

Well poo poo. So the choice is either order a V60/v90 or get a v60XC for 20% off?

My experience was you can get the XC60/XC90 (SUV) for 20% off, or order a wagon for 8% off (V60/V90/V60XC/V90XC) and wait 3 months.

smooth jazz posted:

Was your Lincoln dealership attached to a Ford dealership? Could the salesperson sell either brand?
I was at a Genesis dealer and the sales ppl were not to set foot into the Hyundai side and vice versa (they're very nice and professional about it)...

It was a standalone, with Alfa, Maserati, Jaguar/Land Rover, Lexus, Acura in the same acreage (same dealership group). The nearest Ford dealership is about 5 exits down the freeway, different dealership group (AutoNation).

We're back down to 1 Genesis dealer locally. There were "3" with 3 in parenthesis as 2 were just corners of Hyundai/Kia dealerships with nice furniture. They're all run by the same dealership group that also has all of the VAG dealerships locally, and are complete and total scum. The stand-alone Genesis dealership was the one that told me "they don't do that fancy Genesis poo poo" when I test drove a G70 when it came out. At least that's what I think he said, I couldn't hear him over the music blaring throughout the lot.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 25, 2020

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

drgitlin posted:

Volvo specifically was up 10% YoY in 2019, and I think it’s had year-on-year growth every year for the last six years.

Justin Bieber sells a lot of albums too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Jon Ikeda, the boss of Acura, makes all the right noises about it being a performance brand going forward, not a luxury brand. But Acura is dependent on having decent Hondas to Americanize, so who knows if it’ll happen.

And while the NSX looks good and has some clever technology, it’s pretty boring to drive.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 25, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

As long as Acura isn’t cranking out man trans Legend Coupes and Integras they are dead to me.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

In an era of Signature, Platinum, Limited, etc, trim levels on mainstream badge vehicles which bring most of the amenities of actual luxury vehicle interiors, brands like Acura and Infiniti which mostly sell vehicles built on cheaper mass-market platforms no longer have any reason to exist; nobody who cares about the badge will buy an Acura or Infiniti over a real luxury status brand.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Ror posted:

This is why I have no idea what the current Infiniti line-up is. Everything is just a Q.

I remember when they announced that they were moving to all Q for cars and all QX for SUVs. I also remember thinking that was an incredibly stupid idea.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ror posted:

It basically follows the same naming scheme as Audi, which shouldn’t be surprising considering they hired Johan de Nysschen who was president of Audi USA.

Q = cars
QX = crossovers and SUVs

A lager number after the Q/QX = a higher model

They only have 2 cars (a sedan and coupe) and 2 crossovers and a SUV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Mr. Apollo posted:

It basically follows the same naming scheme as Audi, which shouldn’t be surprising considering they hired Johan de Nysschen who was president of Audi USA.

He then went on to implement the exact same naming scheme at Cadillac (CT for cars, XT for crossovers and then Escalade probably because he got told he couldn't rename it), he kind of sucks, but at least he's consistent.