Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think Buick of all brands sells a liftback Regal. I'm sure the take rate is strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think Buick of all brands sells a liftback Regal. I'm sure the take rate is strong.
It doesn't break down Regal sales of sedan vs sportback (the wagon was cancelled) but here you go.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/buick/regal/buick-regal-sales-numbers/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah that's the Insignia. If they're still selling it it won't be for long, GM sold that part of the operation off to PSA

E. According to Wikipedia there was no Regal sedan for North America in that last generation - sedan was China only.

dissss fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 28, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

based on those counts i'm guessing everything after March 2018 in the US is quarterly fleet allocations

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Maybe this bizzaro world 2020 will give us a totally amazing new Z car.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Russian Bear posted:

Maybe this bizzaro world 2020 will give us a totally amazing new Z car.

Nissan will release an actually good new Z, except it'll cost $60k

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dissss posted:

They tried that with the Insignia/Commodore and Mondeo (both were liftback/wagon only for Australia and New Zealand) and no one bought them.

The Stinger too (which is a bit different I guess because it was never meant to be a mainstream vehicle)

No one is buying sedans either so it seems like a no brainer to at least give them some extra utility.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Toyota and Honda still manage some significant numbers with normal sedans.

If you're looking for utility I don't see a lift back making much difference, most people would still skip straight to a CUV anyway.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I actually forgot Buick existed.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Apollo posted:

Buick sells roughly as many cars in the US as Audi does, did you also forget that Audi exists?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Throatwarbler posted:

Buick sells roughly as many cars in the US as Audi does, did you also forget that Audi exists?

Nobody wants a Buick, people want an Audi.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Throatwarbler posted:

That's really surprising. I'm sure there are a lot of them out there but I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road. I see GM and Chevy crossovers a lot but not Buicks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

That's really surprising. I'm sure there are a lot of them out there but I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road. I see GM and Chevy crossovers a lot but not Buicks.

This is probably a regional thing, when I moved to the midwest from the east coast all of a sudden there were buicks everywhere

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Guinness posted:

This would be great. A lot of smaller sedans and even coupes actually have reasonably sized trunks by volume, but it's the trunk opening that is the biggest limiting factor for getting stuff in and out!
Definitely my biggest complaint about my old mustang's trunk. Also a major plus on the S/X/Y over the 3.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52HgsMW0BbM

15 minute video on new TLX.

Looks legit.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Wheeee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52HgsMW0BbM

15 minute video on new TLX.

Looks legit.

It's got a great rear end. alpacino.gif

113" wheelbase and 75.2" wide. That's bigger than the RLX.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Why am I supposed to be excited about a 4 cylinder FWD midsize sedan

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Definitely agree. Going from a Fiesta hatch to my Volt, I get the space and ease of the hatch with sedan styling. It's so easy to shove stuff in there

Yeah, I finally have space to store my winter tires at home, so getting them swapped off this time I had the dealer put them in the back of the Golf, and honestly I thought it would be tight but it totally wasn't. Like, tons of room without even putting both seats down. Fuckin' thing is huge, who needs a bitch rear end crossover?

Also it handles absolutely beautifully on summer tires, I missed it so much. And before anyone says "May 28th is very late to do the swap," going to get the tires swapped was the second time I driven it since March 17th due to the lockdown and also our last snowfall was earlier this month, so I think it was a reasonable choice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you're supposed to be excited about the turbocharged v6 awd sedan that can tork vector 70% to the rear wheels

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Mr. Apollo posted:

Buick is huge in China, I see them all over the place, mostly in sedan form. Sometimes I wonder if that’s what’s keeping them profitable, I don’t see them much down here in Texas.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 29, 2020

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I’m of two minds. I like liftbacks for their utility and I think a lot of them look great (RS7 if I had my choice), but I’m also a big sedan die hard. I just like the stance of a well designed sedan.

Not however, the weird US habit of turning perfectly good small hatchbacks into baby sedans like Focus, the weird Toyota Mazda 2 whatever thing.

I do like the stance of the RS3 sedan, but why would I buy it over the hatch.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

smooth jazz posted:

It's got a great rear end. alpacino.gif

113" wheelbase and 75.2" wide. That's bigger than the RLX.
Apparently the new TLX is replacing the RLX. I don’t know if they’re bringing in a new model to fill the slot of the current TLX or what.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Apparently the new TLX is replacing the RLX. I don’t know if they’re bringing in a new model to fill the slot of the current TLX or what.

probably a bridge model between the old ILX and the current TLX.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Integra

do it fuckers

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's probably because the majority of Buicks are this totally forgettable suppository:

That's about half of all Buicks sold in the last couple of years.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Oldest Man posted:

It's probably because the majority of Buicks are this totally forgettable suppository:

That car is perfectly shaped to be inserted into an rear end, or under a tractor trailer.

Buick is boomer comfort-cruising trash. That one wagon looked ok but gently caress their commercials.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Saw a new Hyundai Sonata today. It looks huge even though it's called mid size. Looks like they were going for Mercedes like styling too. I didn't get a long look at it though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LeeMajors posted:

That car is perfectly shaped to be inserted into an rear end, or under a tractor trailer.

Buick is boomer comfort-cruising trash. That one wagon looked ok but gently caress their commercials.

I love that their last major marketing campaign was very literally an admission that their cars are so loving boring to look at that people literally don’t see them.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Buick trim levels in their SUV's at least look like an upgrade over their Chevy counterparts.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Here’s the video the Z shots are from:

https://twitter.com/NissanMotor/status/1265937009761071104

As a Nissan tragic, I hope they can turn poo poo around. As much as we mock the Z and well most of their lineup for being old, the basics of the FM platform that underpins the Z and Skyline/whatever the Infiniti version is called this week are solid and well balanced, a lot of hay could be made by slapping modern tech in it (mag ride etc?) with the turbo 6. Not enough trickle down from the cool drive train poo poo in the GT-R to the lesser models.

I’m not sure what Nissan ever got out of the Renault alliance, Ol Mate Carlos done hosed up. A decade plus with no decent hot hatch, while Renault pumps out fast Meganes year after year? They finally wised up and rebadged the Versa/Tiida in our market as the Pulsar again and did a SSS version with a 140kw 1.6 turbo but it wasn’t that much to write home about, at least they don’t appear to be as decontented as the US versions.

I genuinely loved my 370Z, I paid $20K for it in 2013 and it's just an honest sports car. I drove that car nearly 10/10ths on every backroad and while it had hustle, I never got into arrested territory. There's no bullshit drive modes, turning off traction just turns everything off, the interior is honestly 90s reminiscent, it was dirt cheap to maintain and it genuinely was the best affordable + comfortable 2 seater I've owned.

I've actually been looking at buying another one now, especially with every new car I've driven so far has been very, very fast but I just felt no thrill because pushing it meant that my license gets revoked.

If this is anything like the spirit of the Z, I'm all in.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

I love that their last major marketing campaign was very literally an admission that their cars are so loving boring to look at that people literally don’t see them.

Yeah it was a huge self-own

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

My mom absolutely wanted a domestic CUV as her next car. I told her to go full grandma and get an Encore but she got a Trax instead.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I like this car.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That's a nice butt.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

I thought the marketing campaign was based around the concept that "we used to making boring trash cars, but now, trust us, we totally don't any more!" Which is also an impressive self-own.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the avenir trim level on stuff looks ok. the regal drove pretty well.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had one as a rental and it’s actually a good car, with tons of space.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

dk2m posted:

I genuinely loved my 370Z, I paid $20K for it in 2013 and it's just an honest sports car. I drove that car nearly 10/10ths on every backroad and while it had hustle, I never got into arrested territory. There's no bullshit drive modes, turning off traction just turns everything off, the interior is honestly 90s reminiscent, it was dirt cheap to maintain and it genuinely was the best affordable + comfortable 2 seater I've owned.

I've actually been looking at buying another one now, especially with every new car I've driven so far has been very, very fast but I just felt no thrill because pushing it meant that my license gets revoked.

If this is anything like the spirit of the Z, I'm all in.

The Z34 is fundamentally a good car but it’s just ancient.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Frond posted:

The Z34 is fundamentally a good car but it’s just ancient.

I mean honestly, thats the appeal now, for good or for bad. I would genuinely prefer to own the ancient Z over a ZL1 because I can actually drive the former rather than babysit the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

All I ask from Nissan is Android/Carplay in the 370Z.