Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

That's the bottom trim engine of the Charger vs the top trim engine of the K5.

The Charger starts at $30k and goes up to $70k. The current gen Optima starts at $23k and goes up to $32k. It's reasonable to assume someone looking to spend $30-35k on a moderately fun mid size sedan would cross shop the two.

Kia already has the Stinger GT if you're looking for something to compare to a Charger R/T. This just fills out the low end.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Also keep in mind the kia probably wont get 14mpg like a charger R/T when driven in a fun-having fashion.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

Also keep in mind the kia probably wont get 14mpg like a charger R/T when driven in a fun-having fashion.

Is that a challenge?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Digital_Jesus posted:

It also won't have the sound or visceral experience.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KillHour posted:

The Charger starts at $30k and goes up to $70k.

Widebody Charger Daytonas are over 100k :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wheeee posted:

It also won't have the sound or visceral experience.

Anyone really after after a visceral experience, V8 sound, or RWD isn't going to be looking at anything besides Charger/Challenger/Camaro/Mustang.

A fairer comparison for the big engine Kia K5 is the 2.0T Accord, V6 Camry, maybe Avalon if it still has a V6, and all of the entry-lux midsize sedans, if that's still a segment that exists. The current Camry and Accord are both excellent, but Kia has been doing an incredible job for the last ~4+ years and I'd bet on them to make a competitive car in the most competitive of segments.

Now, the bigger question is: What's up with the Maxima? What happened to Nissan? I hear nothing about it, apparently has 300HP too, but I never see any in person or read about it online.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Twerk from Home posted:

Now, the bigger question is: What's up with the Maxima? What happened to Nissan? I hear nothing about it, apparently has 300HP too, but I never see any in person or read about it online.

I had a Maxima as a rental last October/November while my Explorer was in the bodyshop. I think it was a 2020 with not even 2000 miles on it.

My only opinion of it was, there is no way I would buy one at the MSRP price. Maybe these sell with a bunch of cash on the hood or a solid discount. It wasn't a bad vehicle, and I do not care for CVT vehicles at all, but it wasn't anything great. It wasn't really remarkable in any way to be honest. Decent rental car though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

VAG wagons continuing to be the best looking versions of a particular model.

https://twitter.com/BaronVonClutch/status/1278304970215788544?s=19

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 1, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Holy hell thats an attractive car in a beautiful color too

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That's a great looking car. Shame it won't sell in the US over Nissan Rogues or Chevy Equinoxes. Would be really nice to see more wagons on the road.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It would also cost over 36k so that's definitely a non-starter

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Olympic Mathlete posted:

VAG already gave a hard no when asked if it was coming to North America. They said they can’t justify the cost of the certification process.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I want a Nissan cube

Every now and then I see an old one driving around, but they don't sell them anymore here

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

VAG already gave a hard no when asked if it was coming to North America. They said they can’t justify the cost of the certification process.

They're right, nobody would buy it, even if it is pretty as hell.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

No one is going to buy the Arteon in sedan form either. Its too loving expensive.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ford Bronco teaser:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Inner Light posted:

That's a great looking car. Shame it won't sell in the US over Nissan Rogues or Chevy Equinoxes. Would be really nice to see more wagons on the road.

The regular Arteon is a new liftback you can buy in the United States today. It also costs $40K.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The lifted “SUV” version of this will be a top seller.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Even outside of the US they can't even call this a wagon

The used lift back version will be nice in a few years

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You knew it was inevitable.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Midjack posted:

You knew it was inevitable.

I mean, poo poo like that will get hacked, absolutely, unless legislature comes down saying you can't do poo poo to your own paid-off, out-of-warranty car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Pay money every year for poo poo on a BMW to continue working? That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They already were doing that for the iPhone connection I think.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Pay money every year for poo poo on a BMW to continue working? That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

:hmmyes:

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
There better be :filez: if more manufacturers start doing this

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also Tesla rear heated seats are a drm toggle

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Charles posted:

They already were doing that for the iPhone connection I think.

Yeah and they stopped when the villagers came out with torches and pitchforks, but they’re back.

stevobob posted:

I mean, poo poo like that will get hacked, absolutely, unless legislature comes down saying you can't do poo poo to your own paid-off, out-of-warranty car.

Something like a seat heater is easy enough to bypass with your own switch if nothing else but some of it will be harder. One possible outcome would be similar to the infamous John Deere tractors and their Ukrainian firmware but there will be an economy of unlockers similar to cell phone unlock kiosks that flourished in malls when that was still a thing several years ago.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Soon we'll be doing sexual favors for our service advisors.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Foreverially old car owner KakerMix, fully analog gauges and manual transmission and loving it.

Cars as a service taking hold will make me absolutely certain that all new cars are trash and massive public transport is even more important. Car service piracy might be interesting though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

G80 M3/M4 teaser

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

G80 M3/M4 teaser

Gonna hug my F30 tonight

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Foreverially old car owner KakerMix, fully analog gauges and manual transmission and loving it.

Cars as a service taking hold will make me absolutely certain that all new cars are trash and massive public transport is even more important. Car service piracy might be interesting though.

Are you me?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can’t wait to phreak a car service to get free rides to the body implant augmentation clinic

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Sadly, an actually good public transportation network in a major city in the American South is even more of a pipe dream than the return of analogue driver's cars.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

What's the deal with the Mazda CX3? My parents are looking at one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Olympic Mathlete posted:

it's a small CUV and relatively good handling compared to peers. at least in the US the CX-30 has just been launched which splits the difference between the CX-3 and CX-5 and is significantly better.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It’s based off the Mazda 2 so it’s pretty drat small inside

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Own one and can confirm it’s a small interior but handles nicely and easy to maneuver. It’s just big enough for my gf and 90lb dog but that’s about it. I get 25.4 mpg but I have a lead foot and do a lot of highway and city

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Cheers, by all accounts it seems like a decent car. It's just mainly for my dad, mum has her own car so it'll only be used to pick up my nieces every now and again and tootle to the shops. Dad's currently driving a big diesel Passat and just wants something a bit smaller but with a hatch to chuck his fishing gear in the back of I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

So my 4Runner is awaiting judgement by adjuster after I suffered some fairly grievous front end damage of someone else’s making. I’m in a 2020 Mazda6 right now, which has some cool modern features and poo poo. It’s the first car I’ve driven with lane departure warnings and adaptive cruise.

But like after a day or two the novelty was gone and it’s just strikes me as a billion systems waiting to break.

I doubt I can talk my wife into letting me import a 25yo JDM Prado or something bc of safety features (esp w the kiddo) but I guess I’m just gonna end up buying another dinosaur Toyota because it’s just a bit much and not really enjoyable to drive.

Give me an analog experience any day.