Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KillHour posted:

Did... did you get lost looking for BYOB?

No, I actually saw the video last night before it was posted here and figured it was related to the F1 in some way, then learned how by watching the video.

Like I have never heard a person use so many words to convey so little. just mentions 'experience' and 'purity' over and over with little to back it up.

and no actual driving of the car in a 40 minute video. not even an example of the engines crazy response?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Laserface posted:

No, I actually saw the video last night before it was posted here and figured it was related to the F1 in some way, then learned how by watching the video.

Like I have never heard a person use so many words to convey so little. just mentions 'experience' and 'purity' over and over with little to back it up.

and no actual driving of the car in a 40 minute video. not even an example of the engines crazy response?

Perhaps he and the car he helped put together aren't for you?
Elon Musk he ain't.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Laserface posted:

Hard disagree. There's a lot to unpack with what he is saying that is highly informative - and to be honest, Gordon Murray's reputation is enough of a backup. He really is just that good. He designed some of the best F1 cars, the McLaren F1 road car was untouchable as the supreme car for two decades and the T.50 is pretty much an updated McLaren F1. When the original F1 was announced, no one believed it was what he said it was as it was so outlandish.... until people drove it and it was found out he was underselling the car.

If he said the car farted pink unicorns and gave us the world greatest dick suck we'd ask how many unicorns.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

His interview with Chris Harris on the Collecting Cars podcast is very very good and covers his credentials.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Perhaps he and the car he helped put together aren't for you?
Elon Musk he ain't.

I do not like Elon Musk, or Tesla.

F1 was a little bit before my time in regards to 'deep understanding of the engineering significance'. it was more of a 'cool car to have in a poster at age 9' for me I guess, although the Jag XJ220 was the one super car of my youth that stuck out the most. countach and diablo also.

I dont doubt his pedigree, I just found him to not be the best at conveying much meaningful info and at a certain point in the video I just said 'yeah ok mate, maybe someone who actually designed this bit should be talking about it because you aint'

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Seems like different strokes for different folks, some people are car spergs and pray at the alter of Murray for continuing on as he does (me)

And some people buy appliances to get from A to B.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Laserface posted:

I dont doubt his pedigree, I just found him to not be the best at conveying much meaningful info and at a certain point in the video I just said 'yeah ok mate, maybe someone who actually designed this bit should be talking about it because you aint'

He backs up your sentiment himself in the podcast interview. He flat out admits that the engine is all Cosworth and he's been left behind despite considering himself a power train guy.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

He talks about purity so much because most modern supercars are paddle shifting, launch controlled electronic wonders that are more advanced than the space shuttle. They put up numbers but aren’t necessarily the most pleasing to drive.

Also:

Laserface posted:

although the Jag XJ220 was the one super car of my youth that stuck out the most.

lol

Speaking of wet farts.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 6, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
But it did give us Fastmasters at IRP so at least one good thing came out of it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Laserface posted:

I watched this without knowing who Gordon Murray was because Im not super into hypercars or whatever they are called.

The guy waffles on with nonsense for like 20% of the video. I turned it off half way through when he was saying something about the aero giving them an extreme amount of control over the car and its experience and the experience is control or some other thought-loop sounding poo poo.

like a project manager that has sat in a meeting 10min before the interview with the engineering leads of each department and asked for the cliffnotes and talking points but without any firm understanding of what is actually done.

he also seems to bounce around between the car existing and being driven by himself and also that it doesnt exist yet and what they have simulated.

its a cool car though.

He’s an F1 designer, originally. He was responsible for what was probably the most dominant F1 car of all time.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I’m glad he finally got to put a fan on the car. He’s wanted to do that on a road car forever.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I wonder how long it will take the fan blades to be beaten to death by road debris. I’m sure there is a screen/filter for it, but it would have to be pretty unrestrictive.

I am curious to see if this car will make a lasting impact on the industry or get lost in the sea of unattainable cars to lust after. I love that everything is in service of being a more intense and rewarding driving experience and not raw numbers, it would be cool to see more affordable vehicles go in that direction.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

i own every Bionicle posted:

I love that everything is in service of being a more intense and rewarding driving experience and not raw numbers, it would be cool to see more affordable vehicles go in that direction.

It comes down to the question, who really needs more than a Caterham?

And I'd love more tiny deathtrap cars that go fast to be sold on the market.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news! Gordon's also making the T43:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/a26698796/gordon-murray-design-t43-geneva-interview/

215 hp
1900 lbs
6-speed manual
$45k

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

mobby_6kl posted:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/a26698796/gordon-murray-design-t43-geneva-interview/

215 hp
1900 lbs
6-speed manual
$45k

Hell yeah. I remember reading about this but I guess I got confused and thought it turned into the T.50.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

I wonder how long it will take the fan blades to be beaten to death by road debris. I’m sure there is a screen/filter for it, but it would have to be pretty unrestrictive.

I am curious to see if this car will make a lasting impact on the industry or get lost in the sea of unattainable cars to lust after. I love that everything is in service of being a more intense and rewarding driving experience and not raw numbers, it would be cool to see more affordable vehicles go in that direction.

The BT46B seemed fine with regards to fan durability.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

215 hp
1900 lbs
6-speed manual
$45k

Holy poo poo, finally a car that makes me think "maybe my next new car won't be a Miata."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

215 hp
1900 lbs
6-speed manual
$45k

badass

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

That sounds like a hell of a lot of fun, but there's probably no way I would comfortably fit in one.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Going back to cars we might actually be able to buy, the Ford Fusion is dead.

I looked at them a few times and had one as a rental. While it was alright, I'm frightened by the decreasing number of new cars out there I would actually buy. The Fusion was always on the short list of cars I'd buy if I needed a boring midsize sedan again, and now that it's gone, my options are limited further.

I think this makes the Mustang the only car Ford offers in the US.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Bandire posted:

That sounds like a hell of a lot of fun, but there's probably no way I would comfortably fit in one.

He seems pretty set on making it not just fun and pure but also usable and comfortable so we shall see. I hope it actually makes it to market.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

215 hp
1900 lbs
6-speed manual
$45k

Now that we've had one page of people explaining why Murray is a genius, I thought this quote was quite interesting.

quote:

Really, the only other thing sort of like the T.43 is the new Alpine A110, but that starts at around £47,0o0 in the UK and weighs in at 2314 pounds, according to Murray. He's actually using one as his daily driver right now. "If it was 100 mm narrower, it would be the perfect car," he said.

So according to Murray himself, the A110 is as close as you can get to a perfect car right now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CornHolio posted:

Going back to cars we might actually be able to buy, the Ford Fusion is dead.

I looked at them a few times and had one as a rental. While it was alright, I'm frightened by the decreasing number of new cars out there I would actually buy. The Fusion was always on the short list of cars I'd buy if I needed a boring midsize sedan again, and now that it's gone, my options are limited further.

The Fusion was a perfectly fine car but getting really old. The Camry, Accord, and now the new Korean midsizers are absolutely outstanding cars, and I understand why Ford doesn't want to dump huge R&D dollars into a competitive, shrinking market. The current Fusion debuted in 2012 for the 2013 model year, it's positively ancient. It was plenty competitive when introduced.

The Bronco is going to print money.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

215 hp
1900 lbs
6-speed manual
$45k

I mentioned this to a friend the other day and he said that he thought he'd heard that whatever partnership that was supposed to make this was scuttled. I certainly hope not, it would be amazing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Yes, that was their stated goal a few years ago.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

The Fusion was a perfectly fine car but getting really old. The Camry, Accord, and now the new Korean midsizers are absolutely outstanding cars, and I understand why Ford doesn't want to dump huge R&D dollars into a competitive, shrinking market. The current Fusion debuted in 2012 for the 2013 model year, it's positively ancient. It was plenty competitive when introduced.

The Mondeo seems to be alive for now with the new one supposedly coming out next year possibly as a crossover hybrid or some poo poo.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I mentioned this to a friend the other day and he said that he thought he'd heard that whatever partnership that was supposed to make this was scuttled. I certainly hope not, it would be amazing.
poo poo, hopefully not but that article is a bit old and this is 2020 so who knows.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bandire posted:

Unless you're freakishly tall you should be fine, Murray is over 6 feet tall himself and is apparently using one at the moment for testing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Unless you're freakishly tall you should be fine, Murray is over 6 feet tall himself and is apparently using one at the moment for testing.

People proportions are weird, though.

Aren't we getting a weird Fusion Active type thing? That was the rumor for a little while, anyway. We will get the slightly lifted body cladded version of the next gen Mondeo. On the other hand, TourX and Alltrack are dead so I'm not sure that market is really all that large.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

That's good to hear. It is basically Miata sized, so I just assumed the cabin would be tiny. Let's hope it actually gets produced.

I had a 2008 Mazda 3 2.3 that I loved, but I got a Mustang GT in 2016 because I wanted more power. I love the Mustang too, but I'd strongly consider something smaller like this if I fit in it. I'm happy to see Mazda putting a turbo in the 3 again, and I'm also keeping a close eye out for new BRZ news.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Like every other company in America that is slowly sliding downhill Ford has chosen to spend billions chasing the shareholder value dragon while ceding entire markets to Asian and German manufacturers.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

100 car production meant as a successor to the F1? There's no road debris in climate controlled vaults.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Twerk from Home posted:

The Bronco is going to decimate any kind of sales projections people are expecting and the only reason they won't sell more than they do is 100% based on capacity for manufacturing.

The Bronco is going to win any and every kind of award that can be given by any press outlet. They will probably make up new awards just do they can have more to publish about the bronco for all those sweet juicy clicks.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Now that we've had one page of people explaining why Murray is a genius, I thought this quote was quite interesting.

So according to Murray himself, the A110 is as close as you can get to a perfect car right now.

A car that only comes with a slushbox is "as close as you can get to a perfect car"? I think I would probably take a Cayman, the available manual would make up for it being slightly larger and heavier and more practical.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

A car that only comes with a slushbox is "as close as you can get to a perfect car"? I think I would probably take a Cayman, the available manual would make up for it being slightly larger and heavier and more practical.

He didn't expound on it, so I don't know. v:shobon:v

Also, the new Seat Leon looks nice, but does anyone else see a Mazda 3 in it?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The Bronco is going to decimate any kind of sales projections people are expecting and the only reason they won't sell more than they do is 100% based on capacity for manufacturing.

The Bronco is going to win any and every kind of award that can be given by any press outlet. They will probably make up new awards just do they can have more to publish about the bronco for all those sweet juicy clicks.

Too bad it can't climb rocks:

https://twitter.com/roadandtrack/status/1291403320016412673?s=21

RIP Fusion. I enjoy mine for what it is: a fully loaded 17 hybrid I got used with hardly any miles on it. I'm sure anyone wanting one will be able to get the same for years to come.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ford doesn't have Mazda to design them a new mid-size platform anymore anyway

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Zero One posted:

As if more than 1% of Broncos will ever see anything more than a slightly less than perfect dirt road

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Nidhg00670000 posted:

He didn't expound on it, so I don't know. v:shobon:v

Also, the new Seat Leon looks nice, but does anyone else see a Mazda 3 in it?

It looks like an Audi S5 sportback up front, with VW/Audi lines along the belt line and then an odd Renault Megane touch near C Pillar/Hatch.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Charles posted:

Ford doesn't have Mazda to design them a new mid-size platform anymore anyway

Just base it on the mustang, boom, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Zero One posted:

https://twitter.com/roadandtrack/status/1291403320016412673?s=21

RIP Fusion. I enjoy mine for what it is: a fully loaded 17 hybrid I got used with hardly any miles on it. I'm sure anyone wanting one will be able to get the same for years to come.

Can anyone with offroad experience say if this video is enough to say it's going to be Bad At Climbing Rocks?

Will my wife still be able to drive over the median to get in to Wegmans/Whole Foods? :ohdear: