Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PgB0zCdmoI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

smooth jazz posted:

All Land Cruiser production capacity probably going to the middle east.

Toyota sold their last FJ Cruisers in Asia/Africa at the end of 2022.

If there was meaningful demand in the year 2023 for a retro-styled offroad SUV in North America surely we would have heard about it by now!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Thomas previews the new BMW i5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtDC98HlWSg

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 24, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

what kind of robot do the wheels transform in to?

how much is the M-sport pro package monthly subscription? do they repo the black grille if you unsubscribe?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Powershift posted:

do they repo the black grille if you unsubscribe?

So that's why they were working on this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcLX9wcPQT4

edit; alternative answer: they just turn the power off on your illuminated grille

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Powershift posted:

how much is the M-sport pro package monthly subscription? do they repo the black grille if you unsubscribe?

Worse, they disable the lighted grille so the poors can't tell how much better you are than them at night :(

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Savagegeese pretty much trashed the Sequoia and said every other full size SUV option is the better option including Ford and GM lol
I kind of like my expedition. Thought the latest GM generation hadn't been released when I bought it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
As part of a job I was doing last year I'd fly out to LA or Tacoma and drive back in a rental and they insisted on full-size SUVs. So I got to drive a 2018 and 2021 Armada, one of the new Wagoneers and a 2017 Tahoe. I'll say this, if you're worse than the Tahoe just loving give up. It's insane that they manage to sell those drat things at all.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Q_res posted:

As part of a job I was doing last year I'd fly out to LA or Tacoma and drive back in a rental and they insisted on full-size SUVs. So I got to drive a 2018 and 2021 Armada, one of the new Wagoneers and a 2017 Tahoe. I'll say this, if you're worse than the Tahoe just loving give up. It's insane that they manage to sell those drat things at all.

Tahoes sell about 100k per year, right? About the same as the Civic, except the Tahoe platform almost certainly sells more in total because it's stretched across 3 brands and 2 lengths that all count as different models. At a glance it looks like GM sells about 100k Tahoes and 50k Suburbans a year, I'm not going to bother to track down the GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Escalade and ESV.

Anyway, huge volumes.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Okay? Not sure what that has to do with what I said...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
You said Tahoes are bad and the other poster said well they sell a lot of them.

My Tahoe ended up with a lot of issues and I ended up getting rid of it but before we bought it we test drove basically every other full size SUV, nothing stood out to me that I can remember about the other brands versions.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

PneumonicBook posted:

You said Tahoes are bad and the other poster said well they sell a lot of them.

Yeah, I know. I'm just not sure why, a popular shitbox is still a shitbox. See also: Literally every iteration of the J body.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I rented a new Malibu for two days. It was really a nice car ! I don’t understand why people would choose a compact cross over over this.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Volume doesn't mean something is good, a lot of bad cars get sold in big numbers.

A lot of all types of bad consumer goods get sold in big numbers.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Q_res posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm just not sure why, a popular shitbox is still a shitbox. See also: Literally every iteration of the J body.

There's something that makes suburban wives that are picking up their kids from grade school yearn for them, based on my experience.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

I rented a new Malibu for two days. It was really a nice car ! I don’t understand why people would choose a compact cross over over this.

We put about 2,100 miles on each one, I'd say that's more than adequate to draw conclusions.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 24, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

PneumonicBook posted:

There's something that makes suburban wives that are picking up their kids from grade school yearn for them, based on my experience.

It's this. A Tahoe is basically a status symbol of Suburban moms everywhere. They're not objectively great vehicles, but how else do you expect a 32 year old "momma" to transport her 2 kids, designer dog, stanley cup collection and Louis Neverfull? The Yukon Denali is the pinnacle of the Tahoe status symbol. You would think the Escalade would be, but there's something about a Tahoe High Country or Yukon Denali that says "I could have bought an Escalade if I wanted to"

We prefer Ford's so we have an Expedition.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 24, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The newer big SUVs are getting “softer” stylings to appeal to that market more afaict

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Savagegeese pretty much trashed the Sequoia and said every other full size SUV option is the better option including Ford and GM lol

You would think Toyota could figure it out by now

They screwed up the cargo area of the new Sequoia so badly it's a deal killer. No matter how much you might like the rest of the car, the cargo area is just bad.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Has Savagegeese reviewed the new Prius yet? Just curious if it'll be reliable or not.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Why would that guy have any idea if it's reliable or not

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Would anyone? Ive seen a total of 1 in person so far. Unless this powerplant is in another Toyota and they just shoe horned it into the new gen, I dont think anyone is going to have anything other than gut reaction to reliability.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

skipdogg posted:

They screwed up the cargo area of the new Sequoia so badly it's a deal killer. No matter how much you might like the rest of the car, the cargo area is just bad.

Reminds me of how bad they hosed up the cargo space of the Corolla hatch, it's a joke

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Kraftwerk posted:

Has Savagegeese reviewed the new Prius yet? Just curious if it'll be reliable or not.

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/toyota-prius-number-one-vehicle-overall-quality

quote:

Consumer Reports says that it studied 17 trouble areas, from nuisances—such as squeaky brakes and broken interior trim—to major bummers, like out-of-warranty transmission repairs or trouble with four-wheel-drive systems. The group's researchers then give weight to the severity of each type of problem to create a Predicted Reliability Score for each vehicle, from 1 to 100. To be considered for this list, we must have at least two model years of data in calculating the predicted reliability score. Consumer Reports results are presented in rank order, starting with the most reliable. On this ranking, the Toyota Prius is the highest vehicle overall with a score of 93 points.

Amazingly, the Prius earns a five out of five score for reliability from model year 2020 all the way back to 2009. For each model it lists, Consumer Reports then also shows the areas of most concern. It calls these "reliability trouble spots." But the Prius has none. None.

Over a decade of "most reliable car fullstop", I doubt it's changing any time soon.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

The new Prius looks so nice

If I didn’t have a paid off 2017 Honda CR-V I’d buy one

I sort of hope I can rent one for work if they send me somewhere soon

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I’m most surprised by BMW going from 13th to 3rd in reliability according to CR.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sab669 posted:

So that's why they were working on this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcLX9wcPQT4

edit; alternative answer: they just turn the power off on your illuminated grille

Can I color change to Gundam paint job instead of having to wrap it?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I’m most surprised by BMW going from 13th to 3rd in reliability according to CR.

BMW has been trending more boring and more reliable for a while, it started with the F30 3 series back in the early 2010's.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

sanchez posted:

BMW has been trending more boring and more reliable for a while, it started with the F30 3 series back in the early 2010's.

I’m not used to seeing the words ‘bmw’ and ‘reliable’ without the word ‘not’.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

don't worry, high end bmws like the 7 series and friends are still beta technology disasters

but the proletarian 3 series is relatively solid. it's no prius, but it's also not a prius if you know what i mean.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

sanchez posted:

Yea those N20's were real solid :v:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

If you all pitch in on a GoFundMe, I'd be willing to test the long-term reliability of a S58. :cool:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

If you all pitch in on a GoFundMe, I'd be willing to test the long-term reliability of a S58. :cool:

I already have one so you can just send me the check.

Please, I need it for my mechanic bills.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

KillHour posted:

I already have one so you can just send me the check.

Please, I need it for my mechanic bills.

Have you actually had any problems?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

phosdex posted:

Have you actually had any problems?

One time during the winter, the passenger side window regulator freaked out and the window wouldn't roll up.

That's all I can think of, but it's less than 2 years old so :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

All Tacomas up to the TRD Off-road will get this chin spoiler.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fuel efficiency tricks? I'm sure it will come off with a few bolts.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KillHour posted:

Fuel efficiency tricks? I'm sure it will come off with a few bolts.

I yanked mine on my 2016. Like 10x 10mm bolts. No biggie.

It didn’t look nearly as bad as that goofy loving thing though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I yanked mine on my 2016. Like 10x 10mm bolts. No biggie.

It didn’t look nearly as bad as that goofy loving thing though.

Next year it will have a big yellow "For offroad use, REMOVE AFTER PURCHASE" sticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

It also helps create a low pressure zone behind any coolers that might be living in the bumper.