Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

grover posted:

If I were to buy a 4-seat family car right now... I'd buy a Shelby GT500. No matter how much they improve it, a Fusion is still a boring fwd family sedan.
Cool, so money is no object for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's funny too, because Fusions are really loving nice cars and are decidedly less boring than most in the segment.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

kimbo305 posted:

Cool, so money is no object for you.
Shoot, if price was no object, I'd get a Scaglietti. Fusion's a nice car, but 650hp is an arm-twisting amout of power! Sure, GT500 is no budget compact, but really not that expensive; if '13 pricing is close to this years' $49k, you could nearly buy a GT500 *and* a Fusion for the cost of an Escalade. If I had a $25k budget, I'd much sooner buy a used GT500 than a new Fusion.

Overall, I did really like the Fusion (was a '11, I think), but one complaint I had was tire spin. My last 3 cars have been RWD and in the short time I was driving it, I just couldn't get used to not being able to quickly ease onto full throttle to plant the car. I even got wheel spin in 2nd gear a few times when trying to pass slow drivers. Was frustrating knowing this car had a good engine but couldn't put it to ground, and ruined some of the fun. On the upside, though, the trunk was massive. Almost too big; my samsonite suitcase was clunking around like a loving pinball in the twisties, and ended up smashing up one of the corners of it pretty good. Cargo net would probably fix that. Oh, also, I didn't like the cupholders and the "passenger airbag disabled" light when my laptop bag was on the passenger seat was overly bright and very distracting at night.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I've always liked the Fusion since it came out; the chassis designers were all involved with amateur motorsport at some level (mostly autocross) so the car has had some excellent suspension work done to it over the years. The latest model is drat near the way I remember the original Maximas being, plus a billion pounds.

Great brakes on the SEL V6 models, it almost makes up for the automatic. Lots of initial bite and fairly large calipers to deal with the massive weight of the AWD models.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

It's funny too, because Fusions are really loving nice cars and are decidedly less boring than most in the segment.

I don't know which fusions you drive but the FWD 4cyl we have is not exactly thrilling. I'd take an Accord any day, Honda really knows how to build a 4cyl engine and the interior quality is better. Fusion has more options for a fair bit less money though so perhaps it's not a totally fair comparison.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

sanchez posted:

I don't know which fusions you drive but the FWD 4cyl we have is not exactly thrilling. I'd take an Accord any day, Honda really knows how to build a 4cyl engine and the interior quality is better. Fusion has more options for a fair bit less money though so perhaps it's not a totally fair comparison.

It's almost like different makes are trying to differentiate themselves from the competition!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

iv46vi posted:

Doesn't Honda still use their own version of an auto transmission that's different fom everyone else's?
Looks that way.

"Wikipedia posted:

Honda's automatic transmissions are unusual in that they do not use planetary gears like nearly all other makers. Instead, the Hondamatic and its successors use traditional, individual gears on parallel axes like a manual transmission, with each gear ratio engaged by a separate hydraulic clutch pack. This design is also noteworthy because it preserves engine braking by eliminating a sprag between first and second gears

Honda was forced to invent their new system due to the vast array of patents on automatic transmission technology held by BorgWarner and others.
I've heard their five speed auto is (or was) quite terrible and had a pretty high failure rate.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

onezero posted:

Uncrate just put up a post about the new NSX, this time with a picture. Looks pretty great in my opinion.

Uncrate's words:

"It's not too often we get to say this, but if they don't build this, they're crazy. The Acura NSX Concept ($TBA) revives one of the world's best-known supercar monikers in style, with a rear-mounted V6 powerplant that's helped along by an electric motor, all-wheel-drive, the ability to apply positive or negative torque to the front wheels during cornering, a dual-clutch transmission, and lust-worthy looks. Oh, and about that "crazy" bit — the production version should arrive in within the next three years, and if that wasn't enough, they're building it in Uncrate's home state of OH."

Honda came out a few years ago with an uninspired, hybrid NSX concept. While it did evolve into a racecar, it never made it to the streets on account of mild interest. Now, Honda has released a second uninspired, hybrid NSX concept. Starting to see a pattern here?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

sanchez posted:

I work with the Ford account at the auction I work at so I've driven all of them. The base models offer more options in the class, and the AWD 6's are a loving blast to drive.

e- also enough about interior quality, Hondas and Toyotas and everyone else uses cheap plastic too. I don't know why this is still A Thing in 2012, the Big Three have been getting positive reviews on their build quality for over a year now.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 11, 2012

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

e- also enough about interior quality, Hondas and Toyotas and everyone else uses cheap plastic too. I don't know why this is still A Thing in 2012, the Big Three have been getting positive reviews on their build quality for over a year now.

The Fusion is all hard kind of scaly looking plastic and fake aluminium, it's just not very nice. The blue instruments are tacky. I also hope the transmission explodes before the powertrain warranty is up rather than after, it's been in twice for software updates and still does weird things from time to time. The engine can be harsh and intrusive at WOT, the Accord can get noisy too but at least it sounds better.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 11, 2012

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

onezero posted:

Uncrate's words:

The Acura NSX Concept ($TBA) revives one of the world's best-known supercar monikers in style

I had to bust ot laughing at this line.

I'd be willing to bet money if you had an NSX parked on a street somewhere, 90% of the people who passed wouldn't know what it is.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Mighty Horse posted:

I had to bust ot laughing at this line.

I'd be willing to bet money if you had an NSX parked on a street somewhere, 90% of the people who passed wouldn't know what it is.

This. It's a legendary car among buffs but the average person wouldn't have a clue.

The NSX concept has a scary amount of 3G/4G eclipse in the design. It's not bad it's just...meh.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Allpar has updated their Dodge Dart page. The list of available features is impressive for a car that starts at $16k.

quote:

Class-leading Safety Features
The all-new 2013 Dodge Dart was engineered with 60 safety and security features to ensure driver’s and passengers’ peace of mind when traveling. The Dodge Dart starts with a strong foundation, a body that has a high-strength steel content of 68 percent, one of the highest in the industry, and then adds both active and passive safety features. Driver and passenger safety features include 10 standard airbags, which is unsurpassed in the segment and include: dual-stage adaptive venting front driver and passenger air bags, front-seat-mounted driver and passenger pelvic and thorax air bags, two rear-seat-mounted pelvic air bags, front driver and passenger knee air bags and all-row side-curtain air bags. The Dart also features a reactive head-restraint system; available Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path Detection, three-point safety belts in all five seating positions; front driver and passenger dual seat belt pretensioners at the anchor and retractor positions and active load limiters. These features and more all work to protect passengers in the event of a crash. All three rear seat positions feature Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH).

Additional standard safety features on the 2013 Dodge Dart include:
Four-wheel, four-channel anti-lock disc brakes with electronic brake force distribution and traction control system on all models
Brake Assist
Brake-lock differential
Ready Alert Braking
Rainy Brake Support
Hydraulic boost compensation
Electronic stability control (four-channel active handling system ESC)
Electronic Roll Mitigation
Hill-start Assist
Trailer-sway Control
ParkView® rear backup camera
ParkSense® rear park assist
State-of-the-art, Segment-exclusive Technology
The all-new 2013 Dodge Dart sports segment-leading technology and not-seen-in-the-segment features, enchanting and delighting drivers and passengers alike. Examples include the segment-exclusive floating island bezel, 8.4-inch Uconnect Touch Media Center, 7-inch Thin Film Transistor (TFT) customizable instrument cluster display and upscale ambient lighting.

The 2013 Dodge Dart is loaded with technology that improves driver and passenger comfort, as well as the performance of the car.

Customizable for the driver’s own style
The 2013 Dodge Dart will be available in five trim levels: SE, SXT, Rallye, Limited and R/T. Each trim level has a style and value that will appeal to the diverse customer base interested in a compact sedan.

The all-new 2013 Dodge Dart will feature 12 exterior colors: Redline Red Pearl Coat, Header Orange Pearl Coat, Blue Streak Pearl Coat, True Blue Pearl Coat, Winter Chill Pearl Coat, Laguna Blue Clear Coat, Maximum Steel Metallic Clear Coat, Tungsten Metallic Clear Coat, Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, Citrus Peel Pearl Coat, Pitch Black Clear Coat and Bright White Clear Coat.

The Dart offers customers the choice of 14 interior color and trim combinations with seven interior color environments in cloth or leather fabric: Black denim, Black/Light Diesel Grey, Black/Light Frost Beige, Black/Ruby Red, Diesel Grey/Citrus Peel, Diesel Grey/Light Diesel Grey and Ceramic White/Light Diesel Grey.

In addition to the exterior color and interior trim options, the 2013 Dodge Dart offers seven wheel options, three engine options and three transmissions, as well as a slew of available exceptional or segment-leading features, including:
Class-exclusive 8.4-inch touchscreen Uconnect Touch Media Center with built-in radio, navigation, iPod control, climate controls, voice-activated blue tooth, SiriusXM Travel Link, weather updates and points of interest

Class-exclusive 7-inch reconfigurable gauge cluster display that is easily customizable to the driver’s taste. Choices include: digital and analog gauges, navigation turn-by-turn display, eco-meter, fuel economy, audio, phone, compass and temperature read outs

Class-exclusive floating island bezel
Class-exclusive heated steering wheel
Class-exclusive in-seat storage
Available 506-watt sound system
Keyless Enter ’n Go with push-button start
High-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps
Dual-zone automatic temperature control with humidity sensor
Unsurpassed 10 standard airbags
ParkView® rear backup camera
Blind-spot Monitoring
Rear Cross Path Detection
Best-in-class hip room and shoulder room

Pics of rear suspension You can also see in the pics the sensor for Smartbeam which automatically dim highbeams when it detects traffic. I didn't even know what "Rear cross path detection" was until I looked it up. Basically when you put it in reverseand back out of a parking spot, the blind spot monitoring will adjust to a longer range and tell you if there are any cars coming.

Interior room is almost the same as a midsize sedan.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

MrChips posted:

Honda came out a few years ago with an uninspired, hybrid NSX concept. While it did evolve into a racecar, it never made it to the streets on account of mild interest. Now, Honda has released a second uninspired, hybrid NSX concept. Starting to see a pattern here?

Honestly, how long has it been since Honda released a new car that was objectively better than its competitors? S2000 came out in 1999, I guess you could count the RSX in 2001, and then since then it's been Ridgelines, Odysseys, aging Accords, the CRZ, the ZDX, and a host of other lovely cars that aren't competitive. Their most competitive "sporty" car is the Civic Si and the new one isn't really hitting it off.

I fully expect this to suck despite really hoping it doesn't. If they nix the hybrid motors, use the money saved to focus on lowering weight, and just use the tried-and-true N/A 3.7L they could hop on the simplification bandwagon and offer an upmarket FRS/BRZ-segment car.

R.I.P. fun honda

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I didn't see this posted yet.

http://www.green.autoblog.com/2012/01/10/toyota-prius-c-detroit-auto-show-2012/

I'm horribly excited about that.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Allpar has updated their Dodge Dart page. The list of available features is impressive for a car that starts at $16k.

Pics of rear suspension You can also see in the pics the sensor for Smartbeam which automatically dim highbeams when it detects traffic. I didn't even know what "Rear cross path detection" was until I looked it up. Basically when you put it in reverseand back out of a parking spot, the blind spot monitoring will adjust to a longer range and tell you if there are any cars coming.

Interior room is almost the same as a midsize sedan.

I...actually kind of like it. They even showed off the six speed manual version. The windows look pretty small but there aren't any new cars that don't look like that it seems so whatever. Dodge has a really nice looking back end these days, the lights are super cool at night and very distinctive.

However, what's going on underneath here? This is at the back so it's not a block heater or something.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

bidikyoopi posted:

Honestly, how long has it been since Honda released a new car that was objectively better than its competitors? S2000 came out in 1999, I guess you could count the RSX in 2001, and then since then it's been Ridgelines, Odysseys, aging Accords, the CRZ, the ZDX, and a host of other lovely cars that aren't competitive. Their most competitive "sporty" car is the Civic Si and the new one isn't really hitting it off.

I fully expect this to suck despite really hoping it doesn't. If they nix the hybrid motors, use the money saved to focus on lowering weight, and just use the tried-and-true N/A 3.7L they could hop on the simplification bandwagon and offer an upmarket FRS/BRZ-segment car.

R.I.P. fun honda

Honda is resting on its laurels at this point, they are the Chrysler of Asian cars IMO.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bidikyoopi posted:

Honestly, how long has it been since Honda released a new car that was objectively better than its competitors?

Where I am the current Accord Euro and Odyssey are still class leading, the current Jazz/Fit, Civic and V6 Accord are all competitive. The CRV is pretty crap, but then so is everything its competing with.

Thats despite the Civic being overdue for a refresh and Jazz being more than half way through its cycle.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

law abiding rapist posted:

However, what's going on underneath here? This is at the back so it's not a block heater or something.

Could be a thing they use in car shows to keep the cars powered?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

Could be a thing they use in car shows to keep the cars powered?

Most likely. Having a cable coming out of the bonnet wouldn't be a good look.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

Honda is resting on its laurels at this point, they are the Chrysler of Asian cars IMO.
What's Mitsubishi then? I'd say Honda's more like mid-90s Ford, minus the exciting parts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's Mitsubishi then?

Probably seconds from exiting the North American market.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
AWD Dodge Dart SRT-4 would be pretty sweet...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's Mitsubishi then? I'd say Honda's more like mid-90s Ford, minus the exciting parts.

Mitsubishi is mid 90's Eagle. Which is funny when you think about it.

eames
May 9, 2009

No one cares about the new 2013 Boxster / Boxster S? It actually looks like a car now!
A lot of 918 RSR with a hint of Ferrari and overall a big step forward in my opinion. A ~400hp "Cayman Turbo" in the future would be very, very interesting IMO.
I also like the wink with the license plate number in combination with the interior/exterior color scheme. ;)

Boxster S: 3,5L NA 315 hp flat six, 7-Gear PDK, optional PTV, PASM and all that 911 jazz.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I hate the rear light spoilers.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

eames posted:

No one cares about the new 2013 Boxster / Boxster S? It actually looks like a car now!
A lot of 918 RSR with a hint of Ferrari and overall a big step forward in my opinion. A ~400hp "Cayman Turbo" in the future would be very, very interesting IMO.
I also like the wink with the license plate number in combination with the interior/exterior color scheme. ;)

Boxster S: 3,5L NA 315 hp flat six, 7-Gear PDK, optional PTV, PASM and all that 911 jazz.

Wow! That car is really, really sweet looking. I'm no big fan of Porsche (911) styling but I did like the Cayman, and this one tops it in looks by a long shot. If the residuals are the same as on the old Boxter, I could conceivably buy one around midlife crisis time...

Readheaded
Dec 22, 2004
Tish and piffle, I cannot conceive how that car with the performance of a car twice its price hasn't even got a teak glovebox or swan skin seatbelts. Inferior rubbish from the colonies, m

Ziploc posted:

I hate the rear light spoilers.

OMG looks like something a Korean car designer would do. Brutal.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I don't hate it but I don't exactly love it either. At least it's something different. Looks very nice overall.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

eames posted:

A ~400hp "Cayman Turbo" in the future would be very, very interesting IMO.

That will never happen, as long as Porsche still makes the 911. Porsche knows that for a similar power output, a Cayman will be faster than a 911 every time. Expect the Boxster/Cayman to go the other way, as Porsche is supposedly developing a turbocharged flat-4 for those cars, and for the on-again, off-again entry level roadster.

eames
May 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

That will never happen, as long as Porsche still makes the 911. Porsche knows that for a similar power output, a Cayman will be faster than a 911 every time. Expect the Boxster/Cayman to go the other way, as Porsche is supposedly developing a turbocharged flat-4 for those cars, and for the on-again, off-again entry level roadster.

I kept that in mind when I wrote that. The 991 Carrera S is about as fast as the 997 GT3 around the ring, so I expect the new Turbo to be really, really, really quick, despite it's rear engine. No idea how fast the new Boxster will be or how fast a 400hp-new-Cayman would be, but I'd still like to see that car just for the heck of it, priced above the entry-level Carrera.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

eames posted:

That is a loving good looking car.

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

TLG James posted:

I didn't see this posted yet.

http://www.green.autoblog.com/2012/01/10/toyota-prius-c-detroit-auto-show-2012/

I'm horribly excited about that.

If Toyota is smart enough to actually stock base models of this thing they will sell pretty well. People that buy commuter cars based on their Hwy MPG rating will love it since it costs less than a Cruze ECO. A car that isn't an unsafe tin can that gets 50MPG for $19k is not bad at all.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
The HUD in the Camaro owns.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

BonzoESC posted:

The HUD in the Camaro owns.

Wow it does directions in the HUD now? The ones Ive seen in the vettes didnt do that.
I love the HUD and seriously wish it was an option on all cars. Having it and then not having it on another car is depressing.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Franco Caution posted:

Wow it does directions in the HUD now? The ones Ive seen in the vettes didnt do that.
I love the HUD and seriously wish it was an option on all cars. Having it and then not having it on another car is depressing.

The ones in the newer BMWs have basically everything in them now with full color:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Stealth Like posted:

The ones in the newer BMWs have basically everything in them now with full color:

This should make it even easier for people to drive their cars on to railroad tracks and off bridges.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Franco Caution posted:

This one's on the 2012 Camaro; Hertz wouldn't give me a modern Corvette last night when I swapped the first one out (airbag warning), and I didn't think to check the dashboard on the one they had right there to see.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Franco Caution posted:

How about an aftermarket HUD? This one looks promising: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YPBGLY?tag=vglnk-c186-20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Are we really doing HUDs again? I thought they were a late 80s fad like digital dashboards.