Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm just bitter because the stupid Aston dealership left my car out under a tree a month after I bought it and had it coated and it came back covered in swirls AND tree sap.

And now those swirls will never come out unless I strip the coating and have it redone, along with paint correction. If I go through the trouble, I'm just going to have ppf put on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I still like the Klasse All-in-One stuff and a Porter Cable buffer thingie to do the work. Then Sonus Glanz after a wash. I also did the Opticoat stuff myself in the past and it wasn't that difficult.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

If your car already has some amount of imperfections and small rock chips, will PPF do anything? Is PPF mainly avoiding things like debris residue screwing up clear coat and rock chips?

I just don't see a reason or benefit to put it on if I'm not cursed enough to care about small imperfections. I mean, I used to care but stopped as I became more jaded about life.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

If your car already has some amount of imperfections and small rock chips, will PPF do anything? Is PPF mainly avoiding things like debris residue screwing up clear coat and rock chips?

I just don't see a reason or benefit to put it on if I'm not cursed enough to care about small imperfections. I mean, I used to care but stopped as I became more jaded about life.

I had paint correction and ceramic coating done on my M3 but skipped PPF. It already had 31k miles on it and the chips and whatever associated with that. If I'd bought it new I probably would have sprung for PPF as well but I don't know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you already have road rash, then no, it wouldn't make sense to get PPF unless you have some of the panels repainted.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I considered PPF for my new daily, but couldn't justify paying an additional 10% of the cost on it. It's not like it's a special car neither so I'd rather accept the odd stone chip and save the money.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Road debris has just gotten out of control around here in the past few years so I decided to spring for it this time around. My BRZ only has like 19k miles on it and there are several dime sized chunks of paint missing off the hood at this point. I didn't really feel like going through that again.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
My wife's black MDX had PPF when new and it was completely perfect for over 5 years when we traded it in. I wouldn't have done it on a used car though because it was basically chip protection.

We had our 996TT wrapped and ceramic coated and holy moly that makes a ton of difference in cleaning. Basically hose it off, rinse with a gallon of distilled/RO water and you're done in 5 minutes. It works extra well with wrapping because then you have much less of a chance of messing with the wrap, especially edges, during cleaning.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

PPF isn't very hydrophobic tho so you still have to wax it or put a ceramic coating on top of it as well if you don't want poo poo sticking to it.

Jymmybob posted:

We had our 996TT wrapped and ceramic coated and holy moly that makes a ton of difference in cleaning. Basically hose it off, rinse with a gallon of distilled/RO water and you're done in 5 minutes. It works extra well with wrapping because then you have much less of a chance of messing with the wrap, especially edges, during cleaning.

Whats the purpose of rinsing with distilled/RO water?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Don't have to dry it? RO/distilled should dry without leaving any water spots

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/19/porsche-911-bigger-engines-in-2026/

quote:

Porsche explains why the 911 will receive much bigger engines in 2026

The future looks grim for the naturally-aspirated variants

Porsche recently spent millions of dollars downsizing its range of engines, yet new regulations scheduled to come into effect across Europe in 2026 will force it to upsize once again. One of the company's top engineers predicted the next round of engines developed for the 911 (pictured) will be bigger than the units currently available.

"In 2026, the next wave of regulations will come with EU7. This will be the worldwide toughest regulations considering emissions, especially in the spread between real driving emissions and what we see on the test benches," explained Frank-Steffen Walliser, Porsche's head of sports cars, in an interview with Wheels.

These draconian regulations passed to coerce automakers into going electric will put a limit on relative power per liter of displacement, meaning an engine's horsepower output will legally and directly depend on its displacement. Carmakers allocated a considerable amount of time, money, and energy into pursuing the exact opposite (making big power from a small engine) in the 2010s, hence why the base 911 gets a turbocharged, 3.0-liter flat-six.

"I expect 20 percent more displacement on average for these EU7-capable engines. Many manufacturers will jump from four to six, or from six to eight [cylinders]," Walliser predicted during the same interview. "The regulations are completely counterproductive to CO2 regulations, so this will go up," he added.

Upsizing will trap carmakers into an expensive pickle. Bigger engines inevitably burn more gas and emit more CO2, yet they'll need to comply with ever-stricter emissions regulations. This leaves engineering departments with two options: compromise power, or invest in more advanced anti-pollution technology. Porsche is taking the second route. Walliser said making engines compliant will require catalytic converters that are three to four times bigger than today's, resulting in a "small chemical industrial factory" on board to keep emissions in check. In turn, this will increase the cost of developing and manufacturing a car, and consumers will pay the difference.

"This means all-new engines, and especially for the 911 this gets really, really difficult," he said. "But, we will never give up. Whatever it takes, we will do it. We want to keep six cylinders, for sure, but we will have to overwork it. We will have to make a new engine. That's the fact. Again."

He stated the days of high-horsepower, naturally-aspirated 911 variants (like the GT3) are also numbered, because making an emissions-compliant engine will become too complicated. "There will come a day, within the next 10 years, when we have to say 'now this is the last of its kind,'" he warned. Of course, Porsche hasn't ruled out making different variants of the 911 (including naturally-aspirated high-end models) for markets where looser emissions regulations allow them, like the United States and Australia, if the numbers add up.

With all of this in mind, it's no surprise that the entry-level 911 Carrera will never again come with a naturally-aspirated engine. The 4.0-liter flat-six developed recently for the smaller 718 GTS models won't fit in the 911, Walliser told British magazine Evo, and developing another engine from scratch doesn't make financial sense.

On the bright side, Porsche pledged it will continue to offer the 911 with a manual transmission for as long as there is a genuine demand for it from buyers. Here again, though, the end of the stick is looming on the horizon. "We will offer [a manual transmission] for as long as possible, but one day it will not be possible to do so," he told Evo without going into further details. "I hope that day is a long way away."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
flat 8 u cowards

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

flat 16 u cowards

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Can the new Porch engines switch to run on atkinson cycle yet

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Straight 16 you cowards.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Straight 16 mounted on its side and marketed as a flat 16 to see who dies of apoplexy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

flat 16 u cowards

Porsche already did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o8E4WCC4F8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-sixteen_engine#Porsche_917

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Put a deposit in on a 2021 G80. I've had my '15 Genesis since new and it's been a really good car but it was the last Hyundai branded year so it really didn't have an ownership experience that was anything other than ordinary Hyundai level.

Curious to see if the brand experience is worth the upgrade.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

TKIY posted:

Put a deposit in on a 2021 G80. I've had my '15 Genesis since new and it's been a really good car but it was the last Hyundai branded year so it really didn't have an ownership experience that was anything other than ordinary Hyundai level.

Good move. Really interested in the 2021, but it's just a few inches too big for my parking spot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TKIY posted:

Isn't it pretty well known that if you own a Genesis that the dealership experience is literally no different than if you owned a Hyundai Accent?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Isn't it pretty well known that if you own a Genesis that the dealership experience is literally no different than if you owned a Hyundai Accent?

not true anymore now that it's a stand alone brand rather than a single model. in some places the stores are separate and long term goal is to have separate stores. HMA is trying to differentiate as much as possible even with store-within-a-store. it's a long road but the ownership experience is at least somewhat differentiated and will get more differentiated over time.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

not true anymore now that it's a stand alone brand rather than a single model. in some places the stores are separate and long term goal is to have separate stores. HMA is trying to differentiate as much as possible even with store-within-a-store. it's a long road but the ownership experience is at least somewhat differentiated and will get more differentiated over time.

Bingo.

My current Genesis was the last 'Hyundai' year for the sedan, and yeah it's a standard Hyundai service experience. Canada is getting the Genesis-at-home model though, theoretically I never go to the dealership. Oil changes and regular services are pre-booked, they bring me a car, take my car in, return it when they are done and pick up the loaner. Honestly my car has had one nagging problem (which turned out to be due to having the rear rebadged) and outside that it's been really good.

At this point it's just a refundable deposit though, no idea on pricing even. If the 3.5T goes much over $60K Canadian, I'd be hard pressed to go through with the deal.

Professor Spatula
Apr 16, 2007

Inner Light posted:

I put PPF and ceramic coating on my recent car purchase, mostly because it is my first big boy new car and it's my daily driver around central Florida with a bunch of trucks. I've had it about 6 months and the pros are that even when it's covered in road dirt, the car still looks cleaner than anything else on the road. The ceramic beads water beautifully, which I like.

One thing with the PPF is that if you have factory paint defects that can't be removed, then the film may accentuate them. I have a few clustered around my A-pillars that are annoying but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who can see them. I have also noticed the film lifting a small amount, especially around the hood intakes, but any place you go should fix that under warranty.

Never had an easier time washing a car and I love not having to wax it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I keep interpreting PPF as Power Plant Frame. Most paint protection film I see yellows to hell and gets moldy in Houston.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is the Mazda 3 really that great? I had the 2014 GT model with the 2.5 and while I agree it was a little more buttoned down in feeling it didn't hold a candle to even the cheapest of VW products. The sheet metal felt thin and the lack of a turbo deprived it of the low end torque that really gives some satisfaction in most real world driving scenarios.
I would argue a VW Jetta or GLI would be a better buy depending on your budget than a Mazda at this point. Or if you like the hatch, the Golf/GTI.

Having said that I have not driven the latest generation Mazda 3 which I'll agree is a real looker inside and out. Last I heard it lost its independent rear suspension which to me is concerning...

Anyway if I'm using the 2014 model as an indicator I can't say I'm all that impressed with the car. You're better off in a Civic or anything else that has a turbocharger in it. The only Mazda I'd consider at this point is that Turbo Inline 6 Mazda 6 that may never appear. I'd seriously consider trading my GS 350 in for that.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 21, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the jetta is poo poo mate

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
2014 was 6 years ago. The Jetta still had the 2.slow in 2014.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I trust someone with the username "Kraftwerk" to have an objective view of German cars

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Is the Mazda 3 really that great? I had the 2014 GT model with the 2.5 and while I agree it was a little more buttoned down in feeling it didn't hold a candle to even the cheapest of VW products. The sheet metal felt thin and the lack of a turbo deprived it of the low end torque that really gives some satisfaction in most real world driving scenarios.
I would argue a VW Jetta or GLI would be a better buy depending on your budget than a Mazda at this point. Or if you like the hatch, the Golf/GTI.

Having said that I have not driven the latest generation Mazda 3 which I'll agree is a real looker inside and out. Last I heard it lost its independent rear suspension which to me is concerning...

Anyway if I'm using the 2014 model as an indicator I can't say I'm all that impressed with the car. You're better off in a Civic or anything else that has a turbocharger in it. The only Mazda I'd consider at this point is that Turbo Inline 6 Mazda 6 that may never appear. I'd seriously consider trading my GS 350 in for that.

The current Mazda 3 is excellent. Compare based on current products.

Regardless, everyone has their own tastes. You don't have to like the Mazda 3. It's OK to prefer something else.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

smh at Mazda not even using superior German adhesives

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i find kraftwerk's takes on cars truly baffling

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Kraftwerk posted:

You are completely and utterly wrong and yes the Mazda 3 is really loving good. The interior is Audi-level.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

drgitlin posted:

You are completely and utterly wrong and yes the Mazda 3 is really loving good. The interior is Audi-level.

I cross shopped the new at that time Mazda 3 with the 2.5 against the Golf TDI I ended up buying back in 2013. The interior of the Mazda had gotten absolutely rave reviews, and while it looked super nice it didn't live up to it in feel. Everything felt cheap. The center console was the most noticeable thing for me in this regard as it felt like something you'd put in aftermarket in the early 2000's on something that didn't come with one. The interior of the Golf didn't look as good but honestly felt way better to me. That might have improved with the current one but I completely agree with him on the previous gen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

golf has consistently had a nicer interior than jetta

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The US Jetta has gotten thoroughly cheapened compared to previous generations. It’s no longer a premium feeling economy car. The Golf still is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Guinness posted:

The US Jetta has gotten thoroughly cheapened compared to previous generations. It’s no longer a premium feeling economy car. The Golf still is.

Yep. The last (US) Jetta and Golf to share an interior was the Mk V/A5, which went out of production in 2011. The A6 Jetta was dire.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
in true AI fashion I will now cross shop every new vehicle with a 10 year old competitor

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

fknlo posted:

I cross shopped the new at that time Mazda 3 with the 2.5 against the Golf TDI I ended up buying back in 2013. The interior of the Mazda had gotten absolutely rave reviews, and while it looked super nice it didn't live up to it in feel. Everything felt cheap. The center console was the most noticeable thing for me in this regard as it felt like something you'd put in aftermarket in the early 2000's on something that didn't come with one. The interior of the Golf didn't look as good but honestly felt way better to me. That might have improved with the current one but I completely agree with him on the previous gen.

Is this the “talk about a seven year old car thread”? Or can people in here maybe accept that if 2013 was the last time they looked at a Mazda, maybe they don’t have up to date information and maybe they should believe someone who does.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

drgitlin posted:

Is this the “talk about a seven year old car thread”? Or can people in here maybe accept that if 2013 was the last time they looked at a Mazda, maybe they don’t have up to date information and maybe they should believe someone who does.

That guy was specifically talking about that older car and asking if the new one had actually improved over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Look either goons do or do not buy new cars, which is it?!