Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

bull3964 posted:

ACC works fine with my manual Golf R. You can even gear change just fine with it. It doesn't disengage the ACC and you downshift when decelerating and upshift when accelerating.

You obviously can't do stop and go with it though.

It can’t go, but given that new cars have auto start stop, the “stop” part seems easy to intergrate, albeit probably only marginally useful if you have to clutch in to go again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Throatwarbler posted:

It can’t go, but given that new cars have auto start stop, the “stop” part seems easy to intergrate, albeit probably only marginally useful if you have to clutch in to go again.

The manual R doesn't have auto start stop actually. Engine stays running until you shut it off.

But it will go down to zero, it will actually stall the car if you don't downshift or clutch in. But yeah, it doesn't really matter that much when you have to start off manually.

Not that I really give that much of a poo poo since I can't even remember the last time I was in stop and go traffic.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The one thing I don’t like about ACC in my Audi is that it disengages after 3 seconds of being stopped in stop and go traffic.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mr. Apollo posted:

The one thing I don’t like about ACC in my Audi is that it disengages after 3 seconds of being stopped in stop and go traffic.

Do the newer Audi/VAG models also do this with no way to turn off disengagement? Quite annoying when stop/go is the whole point of ACC.

I drove a Jeep that had it and it was a perfect implementation that almost never turned off. Maybe after 30 seconds of being stopped I needed to tap the gas, I don't remember.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Inner Light posted:

Do the newer Audi/VAG models also do this with no way to turn off disengagement? Quite annoying when stop/go is the whole point of ACC.

I drove a Jeep that had it and it was a perfect implementation that almost never turned off. Maybe after 30 seconds of being stopped I needed to tap the gas, I don't remember.
Mine is a 2018 so unless they’ve made a change in the last year or so I don’t think so. There may be a different implementation of it on the A6, A7, or A8 (I have a S5) because they have LIDAR units in the front grill and have a more advance “autonomous” driving system.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Is there no easy way to re-engage it? My Volvo does this but you can hit the steering wheel re-enable button and off it goes again. Don't even need to touch the pedals.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Apollo posted:

A few of the press photos I’ve seen for the K5 have a grey one with the subtitle “Kia K5 GT AWD”.

Could also just be miscommunication.

Only reason I can think they'd keep AWD off the top tier would be that the fuel economy is horrible with the fun engine + AWD

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Oldest Man posted:

Is there no easy way to re-engage it? My Volvo does this but you can hit the steering wheel re-enable button and off it goes again. Don't even need to touch the pedals.
Pulling the cruise control stalk re-engages it. It just seems silly to have a feature called “Traffic Jam Assist” that stops working 3 seconds after stopping in a traffic jam. I guess it’s done for liability reasons. The ACC in Audis won’t resume after bringing the vehicle to a complete stop. It needs to have the TJA add on feature. To have ACC work below 30mph used to be a separate option but I think it’s included as part of the standard ACC package in all recent Audis.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

Could also just be miscommunication.

Only reason I can think they'd keep AWD off the top tier would be that the fuel economy is horrible with the fun engine + AWD

My thought would be that the dual clutch might make AWD not possible. But I feel like if you're going to go through the trouble of making a wet DCT, you'd make it RWD biased so it could trickle up to the Stinger and G70. But what do I know.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mr. Apollo posted:

Pulling the cruise control stalk re-engages it. It just seems silly to have a feature called “Traffic Jam Assist” that stops working 3 seconds after stopping in a traffic jam. I guess it’s done for liability reasons. The ACC in Audis won’t resume after bringing the vehicle to a complete stop. It needs to have the TJA add on feature. To have ACC work below 30mph used to be a separate option but I think it’s included as part of the standard ACC package in all recent Audis.

Yeah Honda's does this too - hitting Resume or pressing the gas pedal re-engages it, and it's not really too annoying, but I'd certainly love it if I didn't have to bother. It's almost certainly liability - can't have anything nice with lawyers around.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KillHour posted:

My thought would be that the dual clutch might make AWD not possible. But I feel like if you're going to go through the trouble of making a wet DCT, you'd make it RWD biased so it could trickle up to the Stinger and G70. But what do I know.

At this point DCTs are there because they're cheaper than a good conventional auto, not because they're better.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of ACC, the KIA driver assist system is pretty great. I hardly have to steer for the majority of my commute, and the ACC is good as long as you don't put it in aggressive mode.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

heffray posted:

I don't believe the Miata has this degree of automation, and this is the new car thread.

I have ACC on my manual Mazda 3. It's working fine. Obviously you're not going to use it in bumper to bumper traffic jams.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

ACC on my manual '16 Mustang GT works pretty well in the right conditions. I want to say it turns off if you hit the clutch, so its really only useful on at most mildly congested highways that don't drop below 45mph.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Fifty Three posted:

I remember hearing rumors of issues with Kia/Hyundai longevity and build quality. Short wheel bearing lifetimes and such. Were/are those legitimate? That K5 for $30k seems like a heck of a deal.

The Rev A Theta IIs definitely had problems grenading due to rod bearings. The data suggests that Hyundai fixed the issues for the Rev B Theta II (2016-2020 Optima) via a new oil pump, and fixing problems in manufacturing engines. I'd be comfortable enough buying a naturally-aspirated Rev B Theta II, but so many Rev A 2.0T Theta IIs blew up that I wouldn't feel comfortable buying one unless I had the 10/100 warranty as a new or CPO buyer.

The big engine in the new K5 will be Hyundai's Theta III, a new 2.5-litre turbo-4.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Mr. Apollo posted:

Mine is a 2018 so unless they’ve made a change in the last year or so I don’t think so. There may be a different implementation of it on the A6, A7, or A8 (I have a S5) because they have LIDAR units in the front grill and have a more advance “autonomous” driving system.

Hasn't changed. Drove a 2019 Q8 for a commute cycle and I ended up leaving ACC off for being annoying.

I do like the ACC in my Mazda3

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The new Mazdaspeed 3 Turbo will have a nice power boost.

quote:

At minute-6, Mazda Mexico president Miguel Barbeyto introduces the 2021 turbo Mazda 3 hatchback, confirming it will come with basically the same 2.5-liter turbo engine from the company’s crossovers. As stated, the video confirms 227 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque, and the turbo will only be available with all-wheel drive.

I test drove the regular AWD hatch and found it a little heavy so the extra power would make it very nice.

KillHour posted:

I think some people just think that RWD will make them spin off a cliff like Wile E. Coyote

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

M3 and M4 spy photos with uncovered grills.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

The new Mazdaspeed 3 Turbo will have a nice power boost.

I test drove the regular AWD hatch and found it a little heavy so the extra power would make it very nice.

I think some people just think that RWD will make them spin off a cliff like Wile E. Coyote

People don't have any idea which wheels do what in a car.

Sad that it's AWD only for the 2.5, means no manual with the current structure :(.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The Mazda3 is almost 300kg lighter than the CX5. Putting the 2.5T in the 3 is gonna be a quick proposition

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Absolute hot rear end garbage.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe the plan is to gradually make the rest of the car bigger until it's the size of a Tiger tank and then the grill will just look normal.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Pontiac is back!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

M3's were always cars that I'd like to drive but would never want to actually own just because I'd never want a car expensive enough I have to worry about it. But still, it's nice of them to finally make one that I don't even want to look at.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That is both very ugly and very boring. Nicely done!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The wide Euro license plate actually makes it look better because it breaks up the huge grille.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
hot take here but I dont really get why people do bmw sports cars (the new ones, at least) because even the m2 competition I drove had 0 feeling in the seat or the steering.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Mr. Apollo posted:

I always wanted to drive a Raticate

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Scionix posted:

hot take here but I dont really get why people do bmw sports cars (the new ones, at least) because even the m2 competition I drove had 0 feeling in the seat or the steering.

it's the ultimate driving machine brah

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I actually haven't driven any of the Z series so maybe those are the good ones actually.

but yeah all the 2-series and up I drove felt similarly numb. I have no doubts the m2 is very fast around a track though

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm in the market for a car right now and I think the M240i pushed its way pretty far up my list just by being available with a 6-speed. Accepting an automatic would make my search so much easier but I don't think I'm ready to give it up. It just sucks that not only can you only get a manual on like a dozen different cars total, but the majority of those models or configurations have some other lovely dealbreaker.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Neo_Crimson posted:

The wide Euro license plate actually makes it look better because it breaks up the huge grille.

This is actually the most annoying part of it for me, in good shots you can see the bar going through the middle of the grille and it's about as tall as the euro plate, so the actual grille isn't very big. If they made the bar body-colored and stopped the grille where it actually stopped providing airflow the grill would look great. But they figured people would want this instead.

Same with the gaping maw on the Camry and Avalon. There's no reason for the gigantic grille and it's easy to see that 75% is not even a grille, just textured to look like one.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Mr. Apollo posted:

ugh they're loving gross

bimmer can't make a decent looking car imo

Mr. Apollo posted:

The huge ACC sensor in the bottom of the driver’s side grill is really awkward looking. It’ll look like part of the grill is missing if it comes with a silver grill.

then I'm assuming that option won't be available :v

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 7, 2020

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The huge ACC sensor in the bottom of the driver’s side grill is really awkward looking. It’ll look like part of the grill is missing if it comes with a silver grill.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Does that turbo MAzda 3 still have a torsion beam suspension?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kraftwerk posted:

Does that turbo MAzda 3 still have a torsion beam suspension?

I don't know Spanish really but they don't mention any change to it on the bullet points.

We'll get Mazda of USA's specs on Wednesday.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

I showed my wife and she said the front end looks like the back end of a large person bending over

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Why the gently caress are grills so huge now when they immediately get hosed up by parking sensors, radar sensors, and the inevitable license plate? I really don't get it; they have no functional purpose yet the aesthetics don't work with the practical needs of modern cars with sensors driving in real places that require plates. What happened to large-but-reasonable grills like you'd find on ~2005-2010 cars like an S4 or ISF.

At least Volvo and Mercedes haven't completely lost their minds.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mental Hospitality posted:

Absolute hot rear end garbage.

Butterfly grill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Make a car with an asymmetric grill for once you cowards