Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not sure if I like it yet or not, but, news today on the Nissan Leaf:

NYT

I dunno. It's a little bug-eyed, not the most attractive car. But it's cool to see purchaseable, production electric cars from major manufacturers, and the tax rebates makes it reasonably affordable.
You think that's bug-eyed? Wait until you see the Juke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS
:eek: as a design motif.

Meanwhile, Skoda continue on their quest to become Audi's budget brand with the new Octavia:

Not quite sure what the VW Group are thinking here (if Skoda becomes the sensible mainstream brand then where does VW itself fit?) but hey: Golf mechanicals in a vaguely A4-looking body with a higher spec than both and at a lower price.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS
BMW and Mercedes (and German manufacturers in general) used to be notorious over here in the UK for making almost everything optional. Hell, I think the entry-level poverty spec. models in the 80's didn't even have a stereo as part of the standard equipment. You got a car that went and stopped - anything more than that was a cost option.

They had to knock that on the head when other manufacturers started making high-spec models as standard - I mean, it's a lot easier to say "gently caress you, pay me" when the only other marques on the road in any sort of numbers were Ford, Vauxhall & Austin/Leyland/Rover after all but when the European & Japanese makes started making serious in-roads, the unwritten rules changed.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS
Remember the Peugeot Onyx concept from last year? The copper & carbon fibre one -

Well, they've got a new one for this year: the Peugeot Exalt:

Hand-hammered stainless steel & sharkskin (the synthetic Olympic swimsuit stuff, not the fish stuff). Bit less supercar, slightly more realistic. The interior is nice:

Ebony, wool and aged leather. And yes, that's the Pug lion's-head emblem half-hidden in the carving.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS

KozmoNaut posted:

Citroën = Comfortable as gently caress, mad designs...

The Citroen C4 Cactus:

200kg lighter than the model it's replacing, bench seats front and rear, touchscreen centre screen, and the 'panelling' on the sides/rear is basically oversized bubble-wrap. The sunroof on the higher-spec models has reactive glass (like sunglasses) rather than a sunblind, because it's lighter.

That's the production model, by the way, not a concept.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The tiguan has no point
The Tiguan exists so that Skoda can do a cheaper, better-equipped, and more comfortable version of it. :colbert:

e: Actually that probably applies to most VWs.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you think VW is leaving any markets over this, I have a bridge to sell you. They're not profitable as a brand in North America, but the group is probably profitable due to Audi's strength. VWGoA makes its money off the non-VW brands, and those are probably going to be drat near unscathed by this. VW is wildly profitable on a global basis, and although this gives them a bit of a black eye, I don't see it as being a long term issue outside of NA*.

To be the global #1 automaker, you HAVE to be playing in the world's biggest market, it is a market with massive capital investment, and it is a market that it's nearly impossible to reenter. VW is dead set on being the global #1 automaker.

*unless the 10.5MM units sold outside NA also have defeat devices... then things get interesting. All of this is assuming that it's a relatively localized issue.
VAG should just start importing Skodas or something - they're better cars than VWs anyway (bigger cars, higher specs, & lower price) so reduce VW to a stub selling GTi/R models and have the winged arrow as the volume brand.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A few friends of mine have worked on the Land Rover Velar and stupid name aside I'm kinda digging it. Luxo as gently caress. The Union Jack pattern punched into the leather sounds like it'd be awful buuuuuuuuut is actually pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEz3tuXrw9o

One think I like about the Velar is that they're offering a luxury cloth upholstery option for people who've realised that leather is a terrible material for seats, rather than just having cloth as the "Oh, well, if you can't afford leather then here's the poverty-spec" default.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS

fyallm posted:

So with all this lease talk I am confused. I always thought it was a sucker move but it seems like more and more people are doing that. When is it better to leave vs buy?
Also bear in mind that Millennials have been conditioned to accept that they're never actually going to own a damned thing; leasing a car is no different to renting a house or paying $20/m for a phone for people who've had that mindset hammered into them.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS

incels interlinked posted:

https://twitter.com/Automotive_News/status/1067068487334473728

Looks like GM is pulling a Ford and getting rid of many of their cars

Don't worry, I'm sure that when fuel prices inevitably go up again they can just bring over a bunch of smaller, more fuel efficient European-designed cars from Ope....oh.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS

Monkey Fracas posted:

I haven't been keeping up but it appears that everyone is making bigger dumber trucks and getting rid of all small cars

*excited hootin' and hollerin' from all directions in the US, simultaneously*
The next extended oil price spike and/or mass die-off of Boomers is going to be truly amazing to watch.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS

Keyser_Soze posted:

This is what we need!

Pretty much just the new A-Class interior:

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiatchrysler-m-a-psa-approval-idUKKBN2990YD

Peugeot shareholders approve PSA-FCA merger; just waiting on Fiat's to do the same. That's a lot of brand overlap they've got going on there, though.

Also Vauxhall/Opel ending up in the same group as Chrysler is mildly amusing.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS
The UK did briefly have a very similar loophole - all pickups were classified as "commercial vehicles" and therefore got the (cheaper, flat rate) company car tax of £500/year rather than the scaling-with-price-&-CO2 one used for actual cars...and then the govt went "Why are we letting people scam is like this? Only global megacorporations are allowed to do that!" and put out a statement basically going if you use a vehicle as a car ( rather than a working vehicle) then it's going to be taxed as a car and if you lie that's tax fraud and we'll throw you in jail.

Pickup sales promptly dropped off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Slime TrainerS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

$500 per is a big number in vehicle cost accounting
EuroNCAP says to manufacturers "IDGAF, fit actual buttons and switches or get a lovely score":
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/

quote:

"The overuse of touchscreens is an industry-wide problem, with almost every vehicle-maker moving key controls onto central touchscreens, obliging drivers to take their eyes off the road and raising the risk of distraction crashes," said Matthew Avery, Euro NCAP's director of strategic development.

"New Euro NCAP tests due in 2026 will encourage manufacturers to use separate, physical controls for basic functions in an intuitive manner, limiting eyes-off-road time and therefore promoting safer driving," he said.