Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

That is a loving NICE side profile. Love the B pillar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Garth Fader posted:

I dunno, i think it looks really unique and sexy. It's a nice departure from what most companies do.

Black rear pillars made to fake out a bigger window is unique and sexy? I think it looks stupid.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

oRenj9 posted:

It definitely owns and is worth seeing. It was definitely mostly 'Merkin cars and big ol' trucks, but obligatory Jap-Crap (Skyline, WRX, Supra) and exotics (GT40, GT3, LF-A, Konignigseggeggegg) get cameos as well as lots of classics. They even tossed in a few surprise classics from across the pond.

Vintage Skyline at the beginning was aces.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I found this today!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/308542211/lubricheck-the-digital-blood-tester-for-your-car

Looks fun.

Shame I didn't get a chance to back it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/258004/

Finally. I've been waiting for a long time to see a manufacture add another gear to a manual.

I mean, we have lockouts for reverse, what's stopping them from adding a lockout cruise gear?

Horay for more manual shifting! :woop:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I expected 7th and reverse to hide on the right behind the same lockout.

If it is the PDK trans, I'm assuming they are removing the dual-input shaft nature of it too.

Still, can't wait for the details.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
And it doesn't have a suicide door. Just a door.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So has the 7spd manual 991 popped up anywhere? I want to see the shift pattern/possible lockout.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

kimbo305 posted:

Eh, I'd rather get the manual and FWD than auto and AWD. The AWD wouldn't add that much more pleasure over having a stick.

Doesn't the Juke have a nice torque vectoring system in it? That would make it fun with a manual.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Road-legal is a hilarious thing when you have things like the Radical being road legal.

If you like 30 minutes from a track, a Radical is a pretty compelling machine.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cream_Filling posted:

Is the new 3 Coupe also going to get unique sheetmetal from the sedan like last generation? Because the outgoing E92 coupe is in my opinion probably still BMW's best looking car right now.

post-facelift E90

mid-gen facelift E92

Also, from what I've read, despite the clever styling tricks, the new 3 series actually has a taller and longer front end than the outgoing model.

Aren't coupe front ends way different though? You posted one sedan and one coupe.

Also, I hate the current coupes. To soft and round. To much like a bar of soap.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

DogDodger posted:

Speaking of transmission options, Europeans will soon not be able to get a manual in their S4s and S5s. I doubt the US will be able to hold out for long.

Don't forget that the last M5 was available with a 6spd manual in the North American market only.

...:psyduck:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I dig it too.

Nice gauge layout. Cool aux gauges too.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Press photos all with a manual transmission? My word! :monocle:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
https://twitter.com/!/tomwookieford/statuses/156383012475502592

"So BMW will again offer a manual M5 for North America. But last time the catch was that you couldn't turn the traction control off... HA!"

AGAIN?!

There is no :psyduck: big enough.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/!/harrismonkey/statuses/156433202544783360

"chris harris
US to get 6-speed manual option for F10 M5. Only market to get it. Despite being ardently pro-stick, DSG suits it so well I'm not jealous."

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 9, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I hate the rear light spoilers.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

Just another reason flip-up headlights own. I can see and hear them when they go up. Of course, when they freeze shut...

But there's a button to leave them up in the snow?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Nitrox posted:

Perhaps nobody cares about the hybrid definitely-not-supercar, just sport-looking-thing they keep changing the story about?

This is me. They went from pure drivers car to techno mental. I no longer care about the NSX.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

travisray2004 posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the new NSX looks like dog poo poo?

No.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BonzoESC posted:

Much better than the Volt's dumb little horn chirps (it's awful, look it up yourself).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-v-pMxmHLE

I dunno, poo poo makes sense to me.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The Viper has the same stupid taillight design as the GranTurismo. And I don't like either.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Kenshin posted:

Those look loving fantastic.

I see wayyyyy to much Ferrari California in the red one.

MrChips posted:

What still surprises me to this day is that when Honda made the NR engine (that's the one with oval pistons), they stuck with a conventional circular poppet valves.

I was under the impression that circular valves actually rotated under operation. I know the valvesprings do.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 21, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Rhyno posted:

That matte Dart is pretty hot. Does anyone in AI own a Dart yet?

My Dad keeps searching for one. I wish he'd buy one already.

EDIT: Oh you meant new one. Hell naw. I forgot I was in the new car thread. Oops.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 9, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Worth noting that some cars have a seperate set of injectors for response and valve cleaning. Like the FRS.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Xguard86 posted:

I was never crazy enough to test it so don't quote me but it did that 1st -4th lockout for mpg so I know it had the functionality and I swear it blocked me from a mistaken downshift one time.

If you aren't too forceful, synchronizers will 'lock' you out while they desperately try to spin the input shaft up to a million RPM for the wrong gear your trying to choose.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Korbin posted:

-84 MPG
-Under $7,000 starting price
-Your "No Fat Chicks" bumper sticker finally will make sense.

https://www.eliomotors.com/

Reminds me of the Arcimoto, which Nathan Fillion loves for some reason.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Stealing BMWs turbo tech for the next Supra?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

You Am I posted:

That is very nice. And it is really interesting to hear about the changes that Porsche did to the front end of the GT3 and the rear wheel steering. Also interesting to hear Chris' personal views on flappy paddle gearboxes

I'm surprised he didn't test the 'clutch kick' feature.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

PT6A posted:

One thing I love about my Dad's GL350 is the nice little slot in which to put a proximity card, such as the one needed to get into my parkade. My cup holders do the job in my car, but it could be better.

And I know I've bitched about this to the point the Mustang thread got a new title based on it, but: what's with the no inbuilt ashtrays? My folks' cars all have ashtrays built in for every seat, and I don't even have a properly-positioned and sized ashtray as an option?

Edit: even if you're not a smoker, the person who buys your car might be and given the dangers involved, I think we could all benefit from lessening the desire or necessity for someone to throw their burning detritus out the window.

What's wrong with an aftermarket cup holder one?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
My word! Central tach! Yes!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Zero to 60 mph: 4.5 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.1 sec

Why is this? Terrible throttle response?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Oh, derp, that makes sense. Roll means no wheelspin, which means engine could be below ideal torque.

Still, could indicate a slow opening FBW throttle.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Call me crazy, but I expect a Lexus to last a hell of a lot longer than a Merc.

EDIT: Didn't notice that this was short term discussion. WOOPSEE.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

This is photoshopped to hell and back. My word.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What is 2 speed TC?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Throatwarbler posted:

2 speed transfer case, you know, 4 LO, that sort of thing.

Oh god. I read that as traction control. OOPSIE.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Throatwarbler posted:

I wasn't terribly interested in the 911 Targa, am I the only one who just assumed it was a manual T-Top like a third gen F-body?

..because it's actually a power retractable hard top and the whole back end of the car is some kind of transformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7kLL-9tj0

:stare:

No it's not. The roof is still fabric.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXaV41zMA60

...what.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/04/2015-mustang-makes-burnouts-brainer.html

Performance driving of any kind nowadays is all down to whether your car knows how to do it. Not whether you know how to do it.

At least it's manual only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

sudo rm -rf posted:

Does that put any excessive wear on the clutch?

It wears a little bit more when you do that. But I wouldn't say excessively so.