Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

A5H posted:

:colbert:

I think some of them will end up looking pretty cool. Sorta like that toaster car you guys in the US have.

Alright I'll get dogpiled for saying this but I like the Juke, it's a cheap fake SUV with a turbocharged 1.6 that gets 24/31 and has an optional 6-speed at every trim level. It looks weird but that doesn't bother me at all, because if I see one more Rav4 or CRV I will have a breakdown, and if it's light blue I will kill myself right then and there. I'm afraid to go outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

grover posted:

They need to apply those changes across the model line. The base Cobalt is one of the worst cars I've ever had the displeasure to drive.

The Cobalt's under-engineering was nothing compared to the Aveo. I sat inside one guy's first generation crapbox, GM's last great troll before the bailout, and it must be the worst car of the 2000s, it just can't get worse. Carsurvey/CR both confirm the Cavalier and Cobalt were more reliable, too, somehow. They're still selling the Aveo for the 2011 model year, presumably direct to rental companies.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 7, 2011

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Cream_Filling posted:

That looks like a shorter, uglier version of my fifth generation Elantra. It's got the same theme of trying to sedanify a compact car, which isn't a bad idea when executed properly:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

PT6A posted:

If small sedans invariably look like poo poo, then why not just make them all into hatches, which look somewhere between tolerable and excellent in most cases?

Trunk space? It's really difficult to build a good small sedan, and the best examples - Civic, Elantra - more closely resemble hatchbacks, with a shape that adds a trunk and hides the small size. GM is starting to get it right, but their biggest enemy is controlling the urge to torpedo their own products with god-awful styling. It's obvious what the 'signature' grille is trying to accomplish, but it's having the opposite effect and it isn't what the market is looking for.

Mutley posted:

A fiesta saloon? MADNESS

It loses a bit in the handling and for whatever reason costs 2 grand less but otherwise it's the same car and it looks 'right' the way they did it. Ford put effort into the redesign, something GM has a lot of trouble with:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

awesome-express posted:

I was sort of skimming the thread backwards and when I realized what you did my heart sank a little. I didn't give it a second glance as a Lexus.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Cream_Filling posted:

Press button to start, that I can understand. But what if the engine fails to turn over? How is recranking, for instance, handled? What if I want to only do accessory power?

The digital key on my C300 is the same system as my sister's boyfriend's Cherokee, I think it's shared between Benz and Mopar. Keyless entry is just a bolt-on addition to that system, so you can optionally start it with the key as well, which allows you to crank the car indefinitely if it doesn't want to start. There's also a little mechanical key that you can pull out of the main key to unlock the doors if the battery is dead.

There was a class action lawsuit over the apparent need to gut most the computer system if the smart key was lost on older Benzes, so...

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe it's just the photos, but it looks kind of nasty inside.

It's not the photos.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-nissan-versa-new-york-2011-0/#4073658

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Scabrous Teat posted:

The best ads lately have been coming from Dodge.

I did like the new Charger, specifically the R/T Plus. Four doors, leather seats, V8 for $32,000. The 100k/5-year powertrain warranty isn't so bad either. I went with a C-class instead but I'm planning on trading up to a Charger when the '12 models roll out.

Some people bitch about the ancient 5-speed mopar transmission, but let me tell you, my C300 has 7 gears and yeah, it shifts smooth but you know what else would shift smoothly? A robot.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The 6-speed manual didn't really feel right or necessary, but I saw plenty of them in dealer lots anyway. The 7-speed auto is the way to go, it's full of all sorts of high-tech wizardry and responds well to hard driving.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Cream_Filling posted:

At least hopefully now with a purpose-built cab, they can make sure that the stupid "security divider" won't inflict massive facial injuries on even seatbelted passengers in low-speed crashes.

I'm not sure about the personal injury risk to people in cars, I was always under the impression that people outside the car were the real issue. I do know a bad idea when I see one though: deploying an import van with completely unique body panels for use as a taxi in one of the highest fenderbender risk areas in the country.

They could've picked the Transit... not tacky enough? Not enough potential for massive cost overruns?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

dissss posted:

Why would the Transit Connect be any different - don't they all get manufactured in Europe anyway?

That would make it an import van with completely unique body panels too.

They sold 27k Transit Connects last year, and sales are up 50% this year. Production is shifting to the US in 2012.

The NV200 isn't sold in the US, and there are tons of things that aren't very good about it - Chinese build quality, crappy 1.6L engine (103hp, compared to the Transit Connect's 136hp 2.0L), tiny windows better suited for a work van, etc.

Cream_Filling posted:

I mean I think utilitarian designs can be quite fetching in their own way (hell, Jeep made it an icon). But somehow most of these are all terribly ugly because they use parts from the progressively uglier counterpart truck designs.

There's definitely a good reason for the awkward vans, though. This looks much nicer...

...but it's terrible to sit in, really cramped thanks to the plastic barrier. I haven't sat in the NV200/Transit but it must be a lot more comfortable with the height and all.

I remember my family (5 people, minus dad in the front passenger) routinely cramming into the back of crown vic taxis when I was a kid. You definitely can't do that anymore.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Cream_Filling posted:

They just announced a 1.6L 208 hp turbo version of the Veloster is coming later. 208 hp in a car that weighs between 2584 and 2657 pounds in NA trim sounds pretty drat good, actually, with power to weight comparable if not superior to the Scirocco. 12.5 lb/hp. They even have a six-speed Dual-Clutch Transmission available in the Hyundai, too, in addition to a six-speed manual.

So they have a turbo Sonata and the Veloster will also have a turbo option, all they need now is a turbo Elantra.

The new accent is also getting a refresh + same 1.6L as the Veloster:

$15,000 gets you a 6-speed manual, AC, XM, power windows. Not really worth it, when you can get the Elantra for $2k more. At least it's less embarrassing to rent...

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Throatwarbler posted:

Bob Lutz's book is out. It was government regulation and the biased Japanophile media that caused the demise of GM and Chrysler, and definitely not the management of Rick Wagoner and Bob Lutz. :tipshat:

It isn't out just yet. Absolutely worth reading though, even if Lutz is a tool.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
GM CEO confirms the diesel Cruze for the 2013 model year.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Throatwarbler posted:

I think people do like them, they just like the Kia Soul better. It's cheaper and has more bold styling. Targeting young people is a lost cause anyway, no one under 30 has any money or a job, people who have money and jobs want Camaros.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/07/by-zeus-now-scion-pursues-thirty-somethings.html

Yeah this, sort of. Scions were always the kind of car you ended up with because you were 17, knew nothing about cars and dad would only pay for something cheap and Japanese. That market is small and dad will probably just buy a Versa instead.

If you have money in that age group you'll probably end with something like an Audi A4 or BMW 3-series. I looked at the Scion tC when I was 20 but I ultimately went with a used luxury car (08' C300) because a Mercedes is much more impressive.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 27, 2011

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When I had it, I regularly got 31-32 mixed mileage. That's fine for something that I could completely fill with amplifiers and drums and still move at a brisk pace.

Brisk isn't a word I'd use to describe the first-gen xB. An Echo engine, in a car much bigger then an Echo, with the aerodynamics of a small house... Granted my only experience was a single test drive but drat that thing was slow.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The Focus is definitely more of a driver's car, but you'll spend a lot more to get the same level of equipment as the Elantra, and once you go through Ford's packaging scheme the price will probably end up on another planet.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is a good point; I personally don't give a gently caress about things like heated rear seats and satnav but if you do care about FEATURES the Elantra is probably a better buy.

That's the opposite of reality, the Focus price is jacked up specifically because they throw in a bunch of useless gadgets like Sync, then a $1000 sunroof that somehow isn't standard on a car that's already over twenty thousand dollars base, which is how you end up with a $25k Focus and you have to spend even more for the crappy lemon-status Ford My Touch navigation system. The difference between that and a comparable Elantra ends up something like five grand.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Throatwarbler posted:

They're moving production of the Sonic back to the US from Korea so it will cost them $60/hr labor to build. Since it's a GM subcompact I'm sure that all the money will go into superior vehicle content for higher transaction prices and profit, they definitely won't be just cutting the cost difference out of the interior and end up selling the car for a loss anyway to make up CAFE numbers. :patriot:

I read an NYT article about how it's built in a brand new plant which requires half the workforce, on top of that everyone employed is at $14/hour as per a new contract with the UAW. That's not far off with the average Mexican auto worker wage ($8-10).

The Cruze starts at $17k and GM managed not to screw up the interior, so I'm sure the $14k Sonic won't be that bad. The Aveo had a crappy interior but it was also a much cheaper car.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

dissss posted:

They've definitely chosen to position themselves as a more powerful diesel option. Fuel economy is worst in the class, actually worse than the Mondeo from the class above.

Since the only passenger diesels over here are from VW, GM has a good opportunity to market the diesel Cruze as a performance trim and the 2.0L TD definitely seems up to the task. Gas isn't cheap anymore but true economy cars still don't sell in big numbers, so a big diesel engine that gets only marginally better fuel economy is a good balance between "premium small car" and "why you'd want a small car in the first place".

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
So the pricing on the Sonic is also out, a loaded sedan with the 1.4L turbo, 6-speed manual, leatherette seats comes out to $17200 which is an excellent price for what you get. Turbo = manual only so the volume engine is clearly the 1.8 by a massive margin, at least the upper level trim isn't auto-only like some other brands.

The hatch is +$800, but it still looks like an Aveo which totally ruins it.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 8, 2011

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

MetaJew posted:

I think it's safe to say that that needs to be lower. Like, non-crossover/suv ride height low. (And I'm not even A5h.)

At some point it just becomes a turbo Versa.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Guinness posted:

But I haven't actually driven one, so I'm just strictly comparing interior. I have no doubt that the 5-series or A6 are still a better driver's car.

There is a Genesis Sedan R-Spec, which has a 5.0L V8 and a modified suspension, but it's no 5-series, and I don't think it ever will be. It's intended as a cheaper Lexus, and Lexus doesn't make any really amazing driver's cars either. It's easier to build it for old people, since the equation for that market is just ( gadgets * size ) - (relative price) = sales.

Edit: Missed the point

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 6, 2011

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

oRenj9 posted:

Are you sure about that?

It would be one hell of an accomplishment if Hyundai managed to make a cheaper IS-F.

Even if the IS F can match the performance of an C63 AMG or an M3, why bother spending all that money just to roll around in something that your average pedestrian might mistake for a previous-gen Mazda 3? Sure, all the gadgets will still be working in ten years time, but is it really worth it?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

dissss posted:

Why buy a C63 or M3 when your average pedestrian will mistake it for a kitted C180 or 318d?

Because a 318d is still expensive.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

SouthLAnd posted:

That cars biggest flaw is that it's incredibly attractive. This will have to be rectified before it can be sold as a Dodge.

It's also gonna form the basis of whatever replaces the Patroit/Compass. It will, without a doubt, be depressingly ugly.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

SouthLAnd posted:

I am quite a fan of the new Ford Escape.

They ruined it.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

angryhampster posted:

Agreed. The new Durangos are also gorgeous, inside and out.

The new Grand Cherokee got the same treatment as well. My parents just bought an '12 GC, black with the saddle interior. It's a gorgeous car. They originally wanted the 3.6L, thankfully the dealer could only hunt down a 5.7L HEMI so that's what they ended up with. Not too much speed (even with 360hp/390lb-ft) but plenty of class, unlike my girlfriend's '08 GC, which has neither.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

grover posted:

I mean, are any owners actually going to drift their FWD Mercedes?

That depends, does Mercedes make any FWD cars?

Edit: Missed it.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

oRenj9 posted:

The Multiair 1.4L gets 39 MPG and makes 160hp/184ft lbs, which is pretty respectable for a car that is first and foremost an economy car.

If you're looking for a "first and foremost economy car" you definitely don't want a 1.4L Dart. That engine option jacks the price to $20k+, which isn't very economical at all!

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

SouthLAnd posted:

The one I priced came out to $25,745. 1.6L ecoboost with the manual transmission, 18inch wheels, leather wrapped steering wheel and fog lights. And best of all...

$26,000 for a poverty-spec Fusion is a ripoff.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
That front end makes me cringe. It looks like you could cause enough damage to total it out with one good kick. Urban drivers tooling around in cars like that must be an insurance adjuster's worst nightmare.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I've never seen on-street parking lines/spaces/whatever anywhere in NYC. The metered blocks have ticket printers. If it's actually a common thing in other parts of America, I had no idea.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Has anyone calling Lexus 'the next Buick' seen Acura's lineup lately? Downmarket, rebadged FWD poo poo from end to end. The ILX has a Civic powertrain and cloth seats.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Tacier posted:

Lexus makes some dull and ugly cars, but to be fair I think the CT-200h is the best looking hybrid on the road right now.

Allow me to kill it for you: zero to sixty in eleven seconds. Slower then a Prius.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
So has anyone here actually driven the Chevy Spark? My dad was getting a recall done on his Z06 and test drove a Spark to pass the time and thought it was the best thing ever. Initial sales are impressive for what it's worth, 6300 in the first three months. I've read some reviews but nothing really seems to get to the point.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Throatwarbler posted:

Chrysler's system is exactly like that.

http://www.dart-mouth.com/gizmos.html

Chrysler actually has a really good system, somehow, with Uconnect. It's too bad my parent's new Grand Cherokee doesn't have it, but I tried it on a Charger and it was great, I'm assuming the Dart system is good too. It's GM's CUE and Ford's MyTouch that both suck. And to make this clear, it's not because MyTouch aimed too high or just too new for some people, it's because Ford is incompetent. Everyone else probably looked into capacitive buttons and realized it was just a gimmick that had no place in a car.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Hyundai was bullshitting the numbers way worse then everyone else.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I think they all have the 200hp turbo 4, but don't despair, you can still get 115hp in the base Jetta!

The CLA250, which is the base model in the US, has a 2.0L turbo with 208hp/258lbs-ft. More power than a base C-class. Also four hundred pounds lighter. Should be preety fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I'd bet you can actually buy a stripper for that price, considering there's no comedy engine choice, no manual transmission, no cloth seats, etc. There's plenty of stripper C-classes out there.