Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So what's everyone think of this Lamborghini Sesto Elemental? Gosh I really want to like it because it's light as hell and supposed to do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds? But it's got this hideous snub-nose and it's just a big mess of carbon fiber. It just doesn't feel like any Lambo I know and I don't like new and different.

for reference: http://www.leftlanenews.com/lamborghini-sesto-elemento.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

No, not really.

I'm just throwing my hat in with the "1 foot length and 7" height is a large difference" crowd. I do have a C5 though and it's way too wide.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Crustashio posted:

This guy is the worst pedophile ever. Parks next to an empty playground in the most conspicuous car ever. Where's your windowless van?

I'd still ask him for a ride though :)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

PT6A posted:

The Vibe is lighter, by around 50kg. I just checked.

But the Mustang has around twice the horsepower, and mine has short gearing. I would definitely want to see more than a 2-4 mpg improvement moving from the Mustang to a Vibe.

Yeah I've got a 2002 Monte Carlo LS which has a bad a/c unit that's gonna cost way more to replace than it's worth for me, so I've started looking at new cars. When I bought this thing in October 2001 I was sure that I'd have it long enough that my next new car would be some magic hybrid hatchback maybe with a dsg that would just fit every need I'd have, and now that I'm looking around I'm really disappointed at how little progress has been made on a lot of cars. The Mustang I consider to have made a nice improvement, and was actually looking at a Focus, but I might wait and see what kind of numbers the Focus ST gets next year. I may look into that Opel Buick Verano coupe that Powershift posted too.

Edit: nevermind, not interested in the Verano. Woody interior with way too many buttons.

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 27, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

lazer_chicken posted:

Just think, at first the explorer was an honest-to-goodness suv with real 4x4, locking hubs, LSDs and low range transfer cases. It was as capable as an XJ offroad. Now it's a glorified station wagon. Sigh.

For me it's been a glorified station wagon since my best friend's mom bought the Eddie Bauer edition in the early 90's. And of course by the late 90's his younger brother had flipped the thing over in the rain and had to crawl out through the sunroof. I honestly don't understand why suv's are any "cooler" than wagons. You know what was cool? My sister and I sitting in the back seat of a wagon in a 12 hour road trip facing backwards, getting truckers to honk their horns.

Speaking of wagons, I read today that the Charger and 300 are getting an 8 speed automatic on the V6 models that'll get 30mpg on the highway. If that makes its way to the Magnum when they revive it then that's going on my short list of cars to look into along with the Focus ST.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cakefool posted:

How many of those have all seven seats filled with live humans at any point?

Hardly ever. Mine's always just used for hauling dead ones.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

tobu posted:

I've been fairly interested in the Hyundai Veloster which is destined for Australia sometime later this year. It's got a suicde door but terrible looking wheels and a fat arse.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/124151/hyundai-veloster-review-first-drive/

I didn't even know about this car and after checking their website and that article it's now on my short list of cars to look into for next year. If they could up the horsepower/torque a bit that would help. For stock wheels I don't mind those at all.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
This crazy 4-gullwing door plug-in hybrid Ford EVOS will never be remotely like the concept if it ever sees production, but I'd be very interested in it either way. Real funky looking backside though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

Ford has unveiled a bevy of new Focuses at Frankfurt.

Focust ST Wagon.

I was hoping the hatchback or a possible wagon ST might be my next daily driver, but apparently the wagon isn't coming to North America, and the car is only being offered with a 6 speed manual. I was sort of hoping there would be a dsg of some sort. I guess the whole thing is sportier than I need for commuting anyway so it's for the best. I just wanted a Focus with a little more power.

I also liked how the article I read mentioned it would be a whopping 10mm lower than the base Focus. I probably couldn't notice one centimeter difference if I saw them parked next to each other.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Does anyone know if Hyundai has any plans to add their 2.4L 4cyl as an option to the Veloster? I've only bought Chevys so far but I kinda want one.

Edit: vv I was hoping for something NA but that'd certainly be worth a look.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 13, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Well I've been waiting to hear if the Hyundai Veloster would be getting more power and it looks like it'll be getting a turbo good for 204-hp and 195 lbft torque. I've only bought American cars so far but this'll probably be on my short list of new cars to test drive next year. I wish the Focus would get something around that power range.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

No I knew about that a while ago, and I am still waiting for mileage information to be released, but I don't consider 250hp the same general range as 200hp. For just a daily driver that hits a lot of stop lights and traffic, 250hp and a 6 speed is a little overkill. I'd rather have the normal DSG but with about 200hp, if Ford wants to offer something like that. Then with the ST you run into the issue of how much are they going to end up charging me for a premium Focus? But either way I need to get to some dealerships with a tape measure to figure out if the Veloster or Focus would even fit all my gear for work.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

69sofine posted:

I'm seeing Corvette in the front and Lamborghini in the back

Except its from 2002, so doesn't that pre-date the models of Corvette and Lamborghini's you're thinking of? Assuming you're seeing the C6 and Gallardo?

Edit: The Cien was my go-to car in Gran Turismo 4 when I was too lazy to race well and just wanted to blow away the computer opponents.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Edit: ^^ isn't the appeal of DCT's faster shifting and therefore faster everything?

CornHolio posted:

So, surely you guys saw the renderings of the next Corvette, right?

I like it, but I was hoping for a more radical departure from the current design.

I'm interested and glad it's not a huge departure, and I realize the base model won't be quite so frilly, but does anyone know if those are second windows or just black panels that start after the normal windows? I kind of like the rear window being flat instead of the curved wrap around one because it's tough to wipe at a gas station without streaking.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Linedance posted:

just looked it up, they're 255 front and 335 rear.

Haha, for about 15 seconds I thought you meant you looked up the stock Jetta tires and I was so confused.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

I just saw a Hyundai Velostar at the post office today and drat it is a sexy little hatch. I wish they would offer it with the 270hp turbo engine in the Sonata though.

I was really hoping the Veloster might be my next car, because I really like the 3 door aspect, and would love a hatch. Aside from it just being too short for my needs though, my problem was that it's underpowered. For my daily drive though the 270hp turbo wouldn't get good enough mileage. For something around that weight I'd love it right around 200 torque with maybe a little less hp.

I basically had the same problems with the new Focus. Now I'm just sort of waiting to see if Dodge brings back the Magnum.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Veloster turbo leaked.

201 horsepower / 196 lb-ft of torque
6-Speed manual or automatic transmission
2,800 pounds (up from 2,584 pounds)
27 City / 38 Hwy

Why is it when companies have a car with a DSG, then they make a sportier version they never include the DSG as an option? Or will the auto on the Veloster be an electronically controlled dsg that you can set to manual mode?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah, the Veloster's auto would have to be the DSG.

Okay well then I have a problem with either press releases or just people on forums referring to any sort of DSG/DCT/whatever as just an automatic because it's a pretty different transmission. At least until DSG's are so industry-standard that there are no longer traditional slushboxes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Wamsutta posted:

I think it looks awesome but am bummed they hopped aboard the AWD hybrid bandwagon. An NSX should be RWD. :mad:

I dunno, to me the old NSX was clearly more about handling and balance over raw power and top speed, so AWD won't necessarily betray that aspect of it. I just wish it looked even remotely like the old one instead of just like every other Acura. Also since it's not RWD that'll keep it out of any Formula D nonsense.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I was just looking at what's at the Chicago auto show and saw this:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/kia-trackster.html

Kia did a concept that's a 250hp AWD track version of the Soul basically. Cute little thing that'd be really fun to whip around a track I imagine.

Just yesterday I found myself seriously looking at the turbo Kia Optima on their website. Possibly my first non-American car? I'm getting tired of waiting for Dodge to bring back the Magnum.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Those things looked pretty sweet with a dualtone paint job, but I wouldn't want the V8. I'd want the same V6 and 8 speed auto the 2012 Charger has that gets ~290hp and 30mpg on the highway. I just need a daily driver that can also hold all my gear for work but I don't want some off-road ground clearance SUV to do it. I'd love a smaller car for the 80% of the time I have no gear with me but that's not really an option.

sanchez posted:

The Optima is a really good looking car with a great engine. Interior seemed so-so however.
I've driven nothing but Chevrolets since 1998 so I had handle a crummy interior :cool:

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 8, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Remember yesterday when I was saying I wanted a wagon, well this was at the Chicago auto show today:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-cruze-station-wagon-2012.html

If they offered a turbo'd version of that or just got it a little more horsepower that'd be pretty sweet for my daily driving needs. Oh wait... you say it's only for Europe and GM will never sell it here like every other wagon they've done? Well gently caress you, GM.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Well it was posted twice last page but I hadn't seen that particular photo of it. The more I look at it the more it just feels weird having those two grilles.

Edit: if I block out the upper grille with my thumb, it looks really mean and aggressive, but if i block the lower on it looks happy and derpy.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 9, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

extra: I found this photoshop while google image searching for a suitable caprice wagon pic:

loving :awesome:
I don't see any reason they couldn't bring back the Magnum as exactly that. V6 with the 8 speed auto, my daily driver for a good 10 years easy. No wood, black paint on the pillars and roof, tinted windows.

Edit: and different wheels

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I have to admit I stopped at the Kia dealer on the way home Friday with a tape measure just to see if my gear would fit in it. It looks like it will so technically it's on my list of possible cars.

Of course what'll probably happen is I'll just cave before next summer and pay to fix my car's A/C instead. It'll buy me time to see if anything good is coming in 2013. I know Ford is ditching that godawful Fusion grille.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

xxn1927 posted:

They did take press photos of a manual.

I'm confused why PT6A said you have to show press photos of the manual because of the position of the stick. Is it not in the same place the auto is?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

So what we have here is the Audi RS4 Avant. It features 444hp that peaks at 8250rpm, quattro AWD, 7-speed DSG. It will not be coming to America.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
The malibu maxx was pretty ugly, also that picture you posted of it in purple reminds me of the comic book The Maxx. The new malibu isn't anything special in terms of looks but with the engine options I think if they offered a hatch of it right now I'd probably get it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Speaking of Chevy liftbacks, I don't understand why they didn't do that with the new Camaro. The trunk is pretty useless not because of the space inside but the actual opening.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

A5H posted:

Is that the Mazda smiley face grille I see?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Keyser S0ze posted:

Until I can pull up at a stoplight next to a Prius that is rumbling like a big block 502 V8, I will remain unsatisfied with EV's. :psyduck:

Anything electric will never be just like an old V8, and shouldn't really try. Let's find something new and awesome they can do. Can we fix it so when you mash the pedal in an EV it emits a blinding white light and then 2 seconds later makes a booming thunder sound?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

All EVs have some serious management of the accelerator going on, otherwise the instant full torque will roast your tires instantly any time you aren't perfectly gentle with the throttle. This is even more important on electric motorcycles, otherwise the jump from no torque to full torque in only a few degrees of the throttle is a killer, literally.

Think about it. Even the most basic electric car or motorcycle needs to be reigned in significantly to stop it smoking the tires everywhere or bucking you off like a mad bronco.

Badass enough for you?

When I said it wouldn't be like a V8, I was referring to Keyser's desire for a Prius to "rumble" like a big V8. Badass performance is all well and good but Keyser wants the sound. I still say lightning and thunder is a good alternative, and if they want to implement some speaker system for all EV's so blind pedestrians can hear, you've got the thunder and just add some electric noises like your car is one big Tesla coil.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

A5H posted:

So I can only criticize a design if I can afford a quarter of a million quid eh? Thanks man.

No you can't criticize a design because you post stance scenesters every day :P

Nah I'm just joshin' you. It definitely looks like the car is wearing a thong but I don't mind since it is a pretty outrageous car to begin with. My problem is still Ferrari's new mazda smiley face grille.

Back to the Volvo though, does anyone feel like the C30 would have been a bigger success if it hadn't been driven by everyone's least favorite vampire douchebag in that douchebag vampire movie? Maybe if someone stuck some wagons and hatchbacks in a Transformers movie we'd actually get some released stateside.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't know anything about this vampire business because I don't watch movies or read books aimed children.

I would just like to defend myself that I didn't watch Twilight until a few months ago and it was because goons told me the rifftrax for it was one of the funnier ones, and it was. The fact that the guy drove a C30 that they noticeably had to speed up the film footage to make it look like he was driving it fast was just a bonus, and the failed attempt at doing a burnout 180 in a fwd car.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

VikingSkull posted:

An Audi TT raped an Eclipse.
Raped? That Eclipse was asking for it, driving around with half its parts exposed:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

tetrapyloctomy posted:

So these cameras have been standard on almost half of new vehicles for half a year. Google says that 13.3 million vehicles were sold in the US in 2011. With over 3 million cars with backup cameras on them on the road already (not even counting the pre-2012MY cars that had them), you have to ask: so why aren't they already touting impressive data showing the huge decrease in rearward visibility-mediated accidents?
Because the amount of people NOT getting run over in driveways due to backup cameras is evenly offset by the amount of people using the cameras specifically to aim for spouses and have an "accident" and collect the life insurance.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Captain Duvel posted:

I've been thinking about trading in my 2007 Mazda 3. I'm looking for mainly MPG since work is close and I really don't drive long distances. I was checking out the new Mazda 3 and the Prius C. My car is 5 years old and average I already get 23-25 mpg so trading it on for a car thats going to get about 28(the new mazdas) doesn't make much sense to me, that's why I'm leaning towards the C. A local dealership just got one in so I'm gonna go check it out. There are so many varying reviews on hybrids and information I've read, is there any concerns I should have?

But if you're close to work and don't drive much, how much in gas will you save by getting a more fuel efficient car? I would think people who DO have long commutes should be the ones concerned about MPG. I guess you'd need some sort of formula based on your annual driving to figure out if you'd ever save money by getting a new car now.

Speaking of new cars, I read that Chevy is going to be introducing a new named vehicle for the next NASCAR season (when they all have to change the car bodies to look like actual street models instead of painted eggs.) There seems to be speculation that they're either going to rename the Impala which was due for a redesign in the 2014 model year, or this is some new model based on the Commodore which would have RWD. Perhaps related to the Caprice they currently sell to police? Anyone have any inside information? I'm still in the market for a new car sometime this fall, but if we're going to get what's essentially a new G8, and it got decent mileage, I could wait a year and a half I suppose.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes. The back end is terrible and the proportions are terrible. I'd rather have a new Altima, they're both slushbox-only so who gives a poo poo.

The new SL does look pretty dumb. The SL peaked with the R230.

This person does not understand what a slushbox is.

Fucknag posted:

Well, the SLS is all but confirmed to be built on what was to be the third-gen Viper's platform. We don't know if THIS third-gen Viper is also built on that platform, though; it's not like Fiat auto group has a dearth of sports car platforms to build on, after all. It could be a whole new car from the ground up.

Was the 8C based on the same platform and made it out before the Viper also?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

XCPuff posted:

The new Impala looks pretty impressive. It's definitely not what I expected.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/04/2014-chevrolet-impala-debuts-all-new-design/

Hopefully they will release an SS awd version. Its the same platform as the new XTS so it shouldn't be a problem...

Okay this is the info I was waiting for. I want to buy a car this fall and I was hoping the Impala would wow me over the Ford Fusion or Kia Optima. I like the look and the interior, but I'm totally confused by the engine choices. You've got 182hp/172tq, something eco-friendly that's fine, then 195/187 and 303/264? Why would you have 182 and 195 so close together? Nothing at all in the 220 region? 182 is going be rear end and I don't need 300hp in a daily driver mammoth sedan unless it's rwd. Come on GM, I've got a garage full of your cars and you're pushing me to other dealerships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Powershift posted:

the 182hp 2.4 is a hybrid drivetrain, and will likely be priced near the v6. The 195hp 2.5 is going to be the new rental spec which in the current model is the 300hp v6.

A more appropriate question would be "Where's the turbo?"

Well exactly, a turbo that would put it in the low-mid-200's is what I'm not seeing. I didn't see that release say anything about weight but with all the safety features I can only imagine that even with a 4cyl it's not much lighter.

Edit: vv no, because I'm shopping this and it's not good enough. I like the power to weight ratio in my 10+ year old car I want to replace, which by this point I assume I should have slightly better power and slightly better fuel economy. 300hp is way more power and no more fuel economy, and I'm sure the 4cyl will be much better fuel economy. All I want is a happy medium, which they don't seem to be offering.

davebo fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 4, 2012