Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hot drat, thats nice. The only thing better would be a two-door version. I have a hard-on for impractical designs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Blacknose posted:

Pretty sure A/C is standard in every non shitbox car in Europe. The rest probably explains it though.
yeah, everything in the golf class and up, basically. however, the option lists are still a mile long and you get raped for everything.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

A5H posted:

Everyone should be making poo poo light and awesome. You can get through safety without weight.

yeah, but have you compared the interior of a new golf versus a golf II?

cars today are a lot bigger than they were 20 years ago, and have a lot more in them. all the multimedia crap, fancy seats, complete interior paneling and sound dampening is pretty heavy, but people want it. then there's the 15 airbags, reinforced doors, 18" wheels, etc, etc, etc.

all this stuff is in there because people shop for the car with the most features, never mind if they'll ever actually need it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The b-class is a 5 seat compact hatchback, that BMW town and country is a 7 seat minivan. It's not even a stretched SUV like the GL class. Close comparison would be the Viano or whatever MB's minivan is called.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Is the grill on the RAM supposed look like a snout with nostrils?

kind of appropriate that it looks like a pig's nose, IMO.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

El Scotch posted:

I cheered when I saw Mercedes was making new straight-sixes; I was immediately repulsed that they want to wrap them in every self-driving and safety gizmo they possibly can.

I can't wait for self-driving cars, frankly. being able to read the news or whatever on my way to work while i have a coffee? yes please.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Wheeee posted:

Lexus is for people smart enough to care about quality.

German badges are for people rich enough to not give a poo poo.

Lexus is for people born without taste.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Reminder: this car costs $20k:

And has a better interior than any of the ones posted the last couple pages.

That's all well and good, but will it be a rusty piece of poo poo before the lease expires?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I live in western Canada, which is sort of rust-belly, but I see more rusty Mazda tooling around than anything else. There's no way I'd buy a Mazda 3, for example, because literally every one I see that's 5 years old is rusting. Too bad, because they're great looking cars and I want one :(

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

It's objectively true. Better mileage, faster acceleration, more efficient. All manuals have left is how people feel about them, and I'm guessing we're the last generation of driver's who really care. No one misses hand crank starters or ox-carts either.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

skipdogg posted:

Semi comedy option, get an Ariel Atom and put a built turbo 4 banger in the back

An LSx fits where a turbo-four would, right? :getin:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

PCOS Bill posted:

Neat, which AWD turbo hot hatch do BMW, Audi, and MB make?

235i, S3, and CLA/GLA45AMG?

235i isnt reall a hot hatch, but eh, its 45K for AWD version.

S3 is 41K ish

CLA45 is 48K.

RS starts at 36K.

none of those are really "hatches" though

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Powershift posted:

The mercedes minivan gets a pass because they made a version with the 500hp 6.2l V8.

There's a new Mercedes minivan around here, dude.

500 horse V8 not on the options list.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

priznat posted:

RIP R class. I thought they looked pretty cool.

Four full-size seats on the inside was pretty baller, too. Engine bay is cramped as hell though.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

PT6A posted:

The new Merc engines do, and they're zippy as gently caress. I was really surprised how fast the diesel engine could get my Dad's ML up to speed, for a fairly small engine in a fairly big SUV. Also: going from a standard to an automatic is freaky when there's that kind of power around because all of a sudden "oh, gently caress me, it just downshifted!" and you're flying.

The diesel V6s haul rear end and do it with awesome mileage. too bad the vehicles they are installed in cost somewhere in the neighborhood of what, 60-100 grand?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

PT6A posted:

It's not a column shifter in the traditional sense, it's more like a little stalk that works like a turn signal or a cruise control stalk (on cars that use that system).

It's really quite decent, easy to use, and unobtrusive.

much better than toyota's retarded vestigial shifter on the CT200H and whatever else it's on.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Looks like the same mode selector for the hybrid drive that's been on the Prius for over a decade now. What's the problem with it other than not liking hybrids?

I don't care if it's combustion, hybrid, or electric, but that shifter just felt crummy to me. Either a column shift or a normal sized console shifter for me, I really didn't like needing to use two fingers to use it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I've seen plenty of broken/shattered panoramic roof glass. Have fun cleaning glass crumbs out of your headliner if it ever happens to you.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Just checked out the new Cadillac CT6, holy poo poo, it's nice. I poked around a bunch of luxobarges at the local car show, and the caddy was the only one that felt like a rival to the benzes. Hope the interiors hold up over time, because for the first time in my life I want a caddy.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Kraftwerk posted:

I used to fantasize about the new C-Class with the Turbo V6 (C400 or C450 AMG or whatever). But since I read about all the kinds of quality issues Mercedes has with door seals etc I realized the Fusion Sport is the best car to get if you want something nice and long term.

What door seal issues? At least the seat leather isn't expelling mystery oil when it's cold anymore.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
But it already has turbos......how about a Shelby version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

fridge corn posted:

The probably 100+ years of shared experience of the Ferrari technicians I've been speaking with all this week disagree with you

I know several Germans who are Mercedes technicians with like 70 years between three of them who will swear up and down that Mercedes makes the best, most reliable cars on earth and nothing else is worth owning.

What I’m saying is, they may not be entirely unbiased.