Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Back to posting about new cars you like, has anyone mentioned the new morgan three wheeler? £25k plus options (chrome & vinyl bomber nose-art) for a harley ss engined 3 wheeled 2 seater that practically demands leather flying cap & goggles :

http://www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fella I used to work with owned three alfas & a citroen xsara picasso. Three alfas pretty much iron clad the enthusiast part but he mostly drove the minivan - to and from alfa breakers to pick up parts, so I'm confused.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah the idea of you guys getting excited about a diesel Astra is hilarious.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

No one in this thread is seriously suggesting that? I doubt the diesel Astra is coming anyway, the version that's been confirmed will have the 177hp DI 2.4l petrol and the 220-270hp turbo 2.0l is expected to follow.

Sorry, that may have come across wrong. It's just that a diesel Astra is almost the epitome of a dull car over here. Ever watched Hot Fuzz? The car chase at the end is between 2 Astra Diesels & Simon Pegg described it as the least exciting car chase to film ever. Admittedly they are previous generation.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

And you seriously don't think the 2 adults +5 kids + 7400lb boat market isn't massive? How many Tahoes and Expeditions do you think they sell every year?

How many of those have all seven seats filled with live humans at any point?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

tobu posted:

The stereo? With this amazing technology will I be able to load different soundtracks into my new beemer?

Meanwhile, I test drove a 2010 Ford Focus XR5 last weekend and the sales guy told me it had a specially designed exhuast that was pushed hard against the firewall to make sure that the burble could be heard in the cabin.

General rule of thumb, if a salesman tells you anything, he's lying. An exhaust pushed against the firewall would not burble, it would vibrate & transmit heat. Also when the engine rocked it would hammer noisily.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Where would you hide the handles? It works on the rear doors because of the shape, you just cut off the edge of the window & tuck it into the pillar but on the front you'd either end up with a massive thick door pillar our a slice of window that doesn't move.

Also it kinda makes 5 door cars almost look like 3 doors, which I suppose is slightly more desirable?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The more I read about the new features cars come packed with these days the more I want to build a kit car with a manual 5 speed & v8.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

69sofine posted:

http://jalopnik.com/5843721/nissan-europes-secret-godzilla+powered-super-juke

Apparently Nissan Europe wants to put the twin turbo v6 from the GTR into a Nissan Juke. I have no problems with this.

A while back someone posted a photoshop of the juke that removed the upper lights & sank then into the grill. Combine these two & I may make a financially stupid decision.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

One thing you may be forgetting about the 2+2 arrangement its that in some markets, a 2-seater is far more expensive to insure than a 4-seater, even if the +2 is a token padded shelf.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Laserface posted:

I always thought it was 2 doors + 4 seats = higher insurance (maybe because in the case of emergency exit, its harder for people to get out of the rear?) . I mean, 2 seaters probably get hit just because there isnt a whole lot of 2 seater cars that arent dedicated sports cars.

Nah, 2-seater = high risk sportscar, thats pretty much it. People who buy 2 seaters are a high risk as a rule, so the cars become high risk by association. This is also why so many cars have the stupid +2 shelf when they shouldn't have bothered.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

dissss posted:

That definitely doesn't apply everywhere in the world

I was careful to say "in some markets" for this reason.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I work for Toyota & the hype/leaks etc surrounding this car are very odd, normally we can sneak a look at CAD through various networks but within the normal routes there is nothing to suggest this car is past the concept stage, really. I'm prepared to be disappointed when they roll out the fourth iteration of the concept at the Tokyo motor show.

I mean we don't even know who made the dies or where the car is being assembled, this poo poo is normally known about 2 years in advance!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Laserface posted:

Subaru is building it in their Gunma( ? ) plant.

Which one, the subaru, the scion or the toyota, or all 3?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I agree, gently caress the air around me.

A spiritual successor to my volvo wagon you say?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dear god how wide do they think parking spaces are? Is that a concept or a pre-production jobbie?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatule posted:

Is that because it's a poo poo copy of the Volvo XC60 concept ?

Concept? Those things have ben out a year or so now. I want one, but the fact a £40k suv can be had for £16k at 9 months old suggests they may have issues.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeticopter posted:

let's just hope this electric supercar crap doesn't become a dominant trend for manufacturers

That article mentions the new nsx almost in passing, then discusses the kei-sized ev-ster in detail. Nowhere does it say the new nsx will be electric, in fact it talks about a halo car which would pretty much have to be petrol.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Heard today that Toyota & BMW have been swapping phone numbers, with BMW getting a plateful of Hybrid & High-Voltage data & technology, Toyota getting 1.6 & 2L Diesel engines, thank god.

Toyota Diesel engines are pretty poor, like 5-10 years behind the curve poor. Noisy, burn oil, slow, unrefined, lumpy, not really efficient, just overall lovely.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

dissss posted:

Really?

Whats wrong with the 2.2 in the Rav 4? Seems to perform better than a 2l Tiguan and its certainly rated better for economy.

In the avensis, the 2.2 is louder, rattlier, burns more oil, burns more fuel & make barely more power than the 2.0. Compare the 2.0 to the same offering from volvo, ford, vauxhall, vw, honda, nissan, they're all quieter, smoother, make better real world economy in the same segment vehicle.

Lease avensis' where I work go back with approx 15000 miles on them, with a service at 10000 miles, often the dipstick is bone dry when the car is returned (5k miles after a service) because no one checks the oil on a lease car. More than a litre of oil burnt in 5k miles?

Noise is partly sound insulation problems but the engines are harsh at any speed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I need this for my volvo.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

jvick posted:

Neither did I, wonder how it extracts engine data. I would assume it eats up battery like a meth addict.

Apps exist to extract engine data by bluetooth communicating with an obd plugin module, torque is an example of an android app, I don't know about iOs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

I love Torque, fantastic app. The OBD2 scanner with bluetooth is a bit expensive but overall I think it's been worth it.

I just wish the manufacturer specific proprietary codes were available.

I have a 99 volvo which is allegedly fully obd2 compliant, I'd pay real money for a codec that lets torque talk to that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Sure looks like it. I wonder if having a crease on the body like that makes it easier to damage.

No easier to damage, much harder to fix.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Whats wrong with led bulbs in conventional housings? I hate led eyebrows.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

How is boxy a bad thing? The one thing I can't stand about modern wagons is that they taper way too much, which cuts into usable cargo room and looks lame.

Word, my dads 2010 avensis wagon its substantially bigger than my 1999 volvo, yet can't physically carry 3m stock, it's a breeze in mine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That does look pretty good, however it's French so I'm not buying one. Never again, drat electrical problems!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kidney Stone posted:

Yep, no French car for me as well. We had one (a Peugeot 206) which one day, after less than 110000km, decided to crack a cylinder. It was going to way to expensive to get it fixed, so we ended up with a Rover 25 :(

I (my wife) has a 206 wagon, perfect car apart from the electrical gremlins & poor interior fit & feel, a workmate had a 307 wagon, new turbo at 37k, new engine wiring loom at 42k, new turbo at 52k, new gearbox at 46k, new clutch at 47k, new turbo at 55k.

...yeah.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

We just had a discussion in the car picture thread about SUV bumper height -> high beltlines
-> poor visibility -> mandatory cameras at cost to the consumer

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Personally I think the RC is much nicer looking that the TT (personal opinion) but it's French so welp.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

grover posted:

It's a shame there's no way for car-to-car communications to tell someone to STOP TEXTING BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE, JESUS CHRIST!

The tedium is in large part due to low speed limits, IMHO. Crawl along at 55mph, and it's tempting as hell to try to do something else to stay sane. On the other hand, someone driving 150 is going to be giving 100% full attention to driving, and not screwing around with their phone. That driver will only spend 1/3 as much time on the road, reducing congestion in the process. *And* gets home sooner, and it thus able to spend even more time on their phone/whatever than if they'd have tried to do it while driving in traffic. Automakers would sell tons more cars, too, as people upgrade from their rolling roadblocks to cars able to cut their commute time in half. It's win-win all around!

The double-edged sword of somethingawful is you often can't tell when someones taking the piss but the following part I have to point out regardless:

quote:

On the other hand, someone driving 150 is going to be giving 100% full attention to driving, and not screwing around with their phone.

I wish this were true.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

dissss posted:

All I really want is a USB connector (with software support for iPod/iphone, USB mass storage and charging) and a 3.5mm jack as a fallback for audio input/output.

Just so you're aware, bluetooth often gives better sound quality that jacks & cables, the digital signal is sent from your phone to the head unit, then turned into an analogue signal by your dedicated hundreds-of-dollars audio system, not converted by the DAC chip in your phone that costs pennies, sent through a pair of 10c jacks, down a 10c cable to your head unit, which then takes the 2-channel sound & guesses which of your 6+ speakers to send it to.

I wish I had bluetooth in my car, as it is I had to hack the tapeplayer to accept a 3.5mm jack :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

everyone posted:

Bluetooth

Welp, thats me schooled :suicide:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Did something scratch that quarter panel? I thought it was tree reflections at first, but they'd have to be right in front of the photographer or something to reflect like that.

Or tall trees about 20 yards behind & to the right of the photographer?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Like it or not almost all car buying is dictated by what people like to look at. Maybe they narrow the field with "needs to carry 2 adults, 2 kids & a dog" but from what remains most differences are in looks to the average buyer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

dissss posted:

I don't think that's true either - more people buy a Polo or Golf for the combination of cheap prices and (outside of North America) class leading fuel economy.

Lets say person F is buying a car, their requirements basically point them to a c-segment hatchback. Lets say the population of that segment is the Golf, Astra, Focus & Auris, all with a comparable engine & spec, probably with a price range of £18-19k. As long as each of those cars meets the initial requirements it pretty much comes down to looks/desirability.

In a lot of cases I know people have started with the car they want (made desirable through advertising that focuses on exterior looks) them worked backwards to justify it. In the case of the f150 this applies less - the first requirement is 'pickup truck', after that most buyers are not your average advertising-led joe but more likely fleet buyers.

In my experience, no one sits down & wires a spreadsheet of economy/price/equipment etc, they end up with a shortlist that meets their requirements then look at the cars, maybe sit in them, then make a decision.

This ignores people who only ever buy a certain marque out of misplaced loyalty.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What Kooney jr said. Most of the things in my post don't apply to me or most of my family but that doesn't invalidate them, I've been privy to a lot of the buying decisions friends & workmates have made & the overwhelming majority have followed my post, not my advice.

Case in point, fella where I work just bought a car. He travels ~20,000 miles a year minimum, economy is important, as is reliability. I recommended a prius or diesel wagon, he dismissed the prius outright because of how it looks (didn't want to be labeled a prius driver) He wouldn't consider a bluemotion passat because the passat looks dull. Volvos are cars for old men (i own a volvo & he's twice my age lol) & bought a mazda 6. Nothing wrong with that, decent car, adequate diesel engine, but he outright dismissed cars that would objectively be better suited to his circumstances because of looks. Not an isolated case either, I seem to be the man people come to for advice to ignore.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Trust me there isn't. A shell body without interior is like a warehouse There'll be a reinforce beam under there, but nowhere near constraining the shape of the dash.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What is this Bob Lutz book? It sounds both hilarious & fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've driven large 5 seat family sedans that weigh 2800lbs, they were poo poo when they were manufactured in the 70s & they're just frightening on the roads now when a ford ka would plough through one in a 40mph crash.

Some things are going to weigh a lot more than others & until nanobots start weaving carbon fibre cars reinforced with forcefields a large 5 seat car that can comfortably carry your rear end along at 100mph all day & not kill you in every crash over 30mph is going to weigh 4000lbs minimum.