Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Nah there was some obviously not production ready hypercar thing that looked like they thought that if Mclaren can drop right back in with a catfish on wheels then clearly as long as they made it provide even more catfish per dollar the buyers would come.

Which one? There were two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The only reason I'm going to say yes is that's the only way I can imagine the wing mirrors working.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sooo... what's stopping someone from bolting a small turbine directly to each exhaust header and having them all share a common shaft? Like so:

Then you just run the shaft to the larger pump at the end of the row.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

Other than being really expensive and heavy?

Yes. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everyone loves alliteration! :downs:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Read the articles, the propellent is a monopropellant carried in sealed bottles. It is its own oxidizer.

From Hot Rod Magazine's article:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0403-turbonique/

So it's a bomb. Gotcha.

:stare:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Network42 posted:

Ferrari does that pretty successfully, but I somehow don't see Cadillac occupying the same idea space.

They used to. There's a reason "The Cadillac of x" is a phrase. I doubt it will ever happen again.

Also, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that Ferrari looses money each year. Don't think GM wants Cadillac to be a loss leader.

Edit: Nope. I was wrong.

http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/10/31/maserati-tops-ferrari-in-profitability-for-q3-2014/

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 2, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lookit dose front breaks. :stare:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Looking on their website, Aston Martin wins for sheer ludicrousness of color customization. Want candy apple green exterior paint, yellow carpets, and blue seats? You can have it. Want orange outer and purple inner stitching, one coarse and the other fine? You can have that. Want a bamboo dashboard? Yep, you can have that, too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Any wood in a car is going to be a veneer anyways so it's all going to be glued to a hard backing and then lacquered over with a finish. Durability isn't going to enter into it.

Unless you buy a Genesis. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

No, really, mitsubishi is turning around, go buy a mirage!

Chrysler is doing "better"

Gone are these embarassing days

Now they're showing the germans who's boss

What the gently caress, Hyundai? :psyduck:

Edit: I like how apparently every car will have at least one issue on average, unless it's a Lexus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The 6's way of doing it sounds desired to me.

As someone who is colorblind (red deficient) I want to give a whole healthy 'gently caress you' to everyone who has designed color changing LEDs (specifically between red, green, yellow, and amber) as status indicators because they are next to useless.

(Cisco gets a special spot in hell for putting an "Active" LED on their firewalls to indicate which one of a HA pair is active but then using Green on one and Amber on the other to differentiate. I might as well flip a coin.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.loomatix.colorgrab&hl=en

You're welcome.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

What was that really limited production Lamborghini with gauges like a modern art exhibit, all on a digital screen before it was done by others?

That's my favorite gauge cluster.

Edit: the reventon. Hell yeah that thing is cool. Even the name is better.

You post this without an image? For shame.

Powershift posted:

With gauge clusters being entirely LCD screens, it shouldn't be too long before you can have whatever you want.

What really gets my goat is poo poo like the S-class. The gauges are all on an LCD screen, but the speedometer still always goes to 160 miles per hour. How about a "i'm not near an autobahn" mode that gives you a 0-90 speedometer. or the higher speeds on a different scale so the entire section of usable gauge isn't 50% of it.

Because most people still think bigger numbers = better. I swear to God, when I got my car (Hyundai Sonata), the first thing he said was "Your speedometer goes to 160? That's faster than my WRX!" :what:

Bajaha posted:

The Aston Martin gauge clusters look really nice in my opinion, I just can't get over the counter clockwise tach, it just really bugs me for whatever reason.

The reverse tach is a thing I never knew I needed until this post. :swoon:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 11, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Viggen posted:

I don't understand why people are bitching about that. The idea is to get both needles to meet together, right? :q:

In my mind, it's like "I'm going so fast, I made the gauge go backwards. I loving broke physics." Watching that needle crank back fucks with my brain in just the right way.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ilkhan posted:

The demographics of hot hatches really don't favor 30k cars, though. Hot hatches are perfect as a sole vehicle, but the 16-30 y.o. folks who can only afford one vehicle still cant afford to spend $30k on them. The ones who can afford to drop $30k usually don't want to spend it on a hot hatch.
Or am I wrong? $25k for a Focus ST, sure. $30k for a Focus RS? No.

Ford has plenty of good engines at this point. 3.7 V6, 2.3EB, 2.7EB, 3.5EB, and 5.0 V8 are all very good engines. But the Mustang is the best platform they have and its grown drat big. Why can't we have a RWD Focus sized platform with the 2.3EB and 3.7L V6?

I would pay $30K for a 350HP AWD hatch. That poo poo is bonkers. I think it's going to be more than $30K, though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm gonna get that car in the most eye-searing color they offer it in and drive sideways in empty parking lots until the tires explode.

Edit: Does Ford have any good DCT's they might shove in it? I know it's a long shot, but a stick is the difference between my wife going "I want one. When can it be delivered?" to "Not in a million years."

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 12, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If it makes you feel better, you can get this in the US. I saw one when I was out shopping yesterday (no pics, sorry).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

Manufacturer's specifications
Engine: 1966–67 - 425 cu in (7 L) OHV V8, 1968–70 - 455 cu in (7.5 L) OHV V8
Power: 1966–67 - 385 hp (287 kW) @ 4800 rpm, 1968–70 - 375 hp (280 kW) @ 4400 rpm, 400 (298 kW) @ 5000 rpm with option code W-34
Torque: 1966–67 – 475 ft·lb (644 N·m) @ 3200 rpm, 1968–70 – 510 ft·lb (690 N·m) @ 3000 rpm, 500 ft·lb (680 N·m) @ 3200 rpm with option code W-34
Transmission: 3-speed automatic, Turbo-Hydramatic 425 (THM-425)
Final drive ratio: 1966–67 - 3.21:1, 1968–70 - 3.07:1
Wheelbase: 119 in (3,000 mm)
Overall length: 1966–67 - 211 in (5,400 mm), 1968 - 211.6 in (5,370 mm), 1969–70 - 214.8 in (5,460 mm)
Overall height: 52.8 in (1,340 mm)
Overall width: 78.5 in (1,990 mm)
Track, front/rear: 63.5 in (1,610 mm) / 63 in (1,600 mm)
Weight, shipping/curb: 4,311 lb (1,955 kg)/ 4,496 lb (2,039 kg)
Weight distribution, front/rear (%): 60.3/39.7

:catstare:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8g9_AEtzTI

243 at the wheels.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For as boring as my car is (Hyundai Sonata), the TC at least turns off when I press the easily-accessible button.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There are extremely good reasons for urban planners to disincentivise driving. I love cars as much as anyone, but suburban sprawl is a huge problem in the US and should be eliminated as much as possible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

blk posted:

If urban planners can provide a good transit system that is a quick and practical alternative to driving, then I'd be fine with disincentivizing driving. With few exceptions, America hasn't figured out how to do that yet, so local goverments are basically punishing people who have no other choice. It's all stick and very little carrot.

It's hard to get people to pay for mass transit if driving is more convenient. People don't like paying for things they aren't going to use. The idea is to destroy property values of existing suburban McMansions by denying access to desirable services, which in turn forces people to move into the cities.

blk posted:

Where I live most of the poor people are out in the suburbs, as are the larger families. They are the least served by the transit network. There's a reasonably good transit network in our gentrified city core, but it only serves upper-middle class white knowledge workers who are under the delusion that everyone should be able to just ride their bike to work, forgetting that some people work with their backs, don't have a nanny, and can't afford a condo in a middle-density infill neighborhood with high walk score to the hottest restaurants and organic grocery stores.

It's the knee-jerk reaction to the previous paradigm of rich people living in the suburbs and wondering why poor people can't just drive to work.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 22, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PCOS Bill posted:

Figures I'm in a third highest bracket area. Oh well, it's warm enough I've been riding my motorcycle 3 out of 4 days anyhow

Buffalo. :negative:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Mopar guys are weird, it's a disease. American cars have a unique flair, and Chrysler has always been at the fringe when it comes to that. Often you get insane garbage, but when they get it right it's hilarious.

I've had my Daytona Ram near a decade now and it still makes people smile and laugh. It's just so obnoxious and pointless that either people fall in love with it or think it's the best joke ever, but I've yet to meet someone who honestly hates it. The Hellcat is that turned to 11.

I'm the kind of boring rear end in a top hat that thinks trucks should be used exclusively for hauling heavy poo poo around and not be at all fun or have leather or electric locks or even really a radio because that just encourages people to buy them as a "family car" and tailgate me on the highway or take up 3 parking spots at Wegmans Walmart.

But that truck has a loving spoiler. It's a goddamn hilarious troll, and I want one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fucknag posted:

True, but so are Ford, Hyundai/Kia, even GM to some extent. They'll eventually make cars competently, the question is will they improve fast enough to stay alive while their competitors are significantly more polished and reliable.

I would say that Hyundai/Kia is more polished than Chrysler and GM at this point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Want to gently caress that car.

...still better than that Cadillac commercial about being a workoholic.

It's not about being a workaholic. It's about how everyone who doesn't drive a Cadillac is a lazy Commie welfare queen. Cadillac basically went "poo poo, the Escalade is so popular in the African American community, racist old white people don't want to drive them any more." And racist old white people used to be their biggest market.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 3, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Am I the only one that thinks cops in the US should have to drive the same cars as cops in Europe?

:3:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, an A6 starts at $44,800 and the highest I can get it is $77,600 on the US website.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

neckbeard posted:

I'd kill for a $50k Fiesta or $55k Focus.

:crossarms:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kill me now posted:

I sell Kia's and have a 2014 Optima SX-T myself but yeah the Fusion is the only other midsized car that even comes close to looking as good. I actually think the exterior of the Fusion is a bit nicer but the Optima interior and Nav system are significantly nicer in my opinion. The only thing I would love to see in Kia's lineup is more AWD vehicles available. If we had AWD versions of the Optima, Soul, Cadenza and K900 we would sell a significant amount more vehicles at least here in the north east.

I'm seriously considering an AWD Genesis if the numbers work out right for me this year.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't particularly care for anything made by Ford or Hyundai. :colbert:

Everything Ford has made in the past few years have been far short of what they promise and also half-baked and not ready for prime time - see how their various reliability measures have gotten much worse in recent years since the first gen Fusion came out. Their fuel economy figures are either worse than the competition and/or just pulled out of their rear end. The best cars that ever came out of Ford were platform engineered Mazdas. The only compelling Ford vehicle on the market to me is the 2014 Focus that they were giving away for like $12k in a race to the bottom with the Jetta, and even then only the 5 speed manual model because their auto transmissions are junk. Most Fords also get poo poo crash test ratings.

I've never found anything particularly compelling about Hyundais either, they don't make anything that scores particularly well on the intangibles, steering feel, shift quality, even in raw speed- all their cars especially with the turbo engine somehow end up being far slower than an equivalent Honda despite having the same HP and weight, like they were probably overstating their HP figures, and their fuel economy figures are either worse than the competition and/or just pulled out of their rear end. The Azera's objectively pretty nice I guess but they want a pretty nice price for it too. Most Hyundais also get poo poo crash test ratings.

Counterpoint:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

drat TW, really living up to that custom title today.

Replace GM with "Hyundai or Ford".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tekne posted:

I really like the looks of the Kia Sedona. If I needed a minivan, it's the one I would choose. Kia has absolutely left Hyundai in the dust when it comes to styling.

Then you should be excited for their new stuff.

quote:

Peter Schreyer (born 1953) is a German automobile designer for Kia Motors,[1] widely known for his design contributions to the Audi TT.[2][3][4]

In 2006, Car Design News called the Audi TT one of "the most influential automotive design in recent time".[5]

He has been the Chief Design Officer at Kia Motors since 2006[6] and on 28 December 2012, was named one of three presidents of the company.[7] Three weeks later, he became the Chief Design Officer of both Hyundai Motor and Kia Motors.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schreyer

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Are the K900s depreciating like the Hyundai Equus? I've been watching Equuses on Autotrader, and the top trims appear to depreciate more than $1/mile.

loving hell. I should pick up an Equus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I, personally, think the 6 is ugly as all gently caress. Otherwise, I'd buy one, because they're great cars. But I'm not driving around in something that looks like that.

I also think the new Sonata is better looking than the last model (not that the new one's particularly good looking).

Edit: The Fusion looks okay, but I'm sick of seeing them everywhere.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 20, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Quick, someone analyze every frame and tell me if that thing is FWD.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

eyebeem posted:

Oh god now I'm going to cross shop the Scat Pack and the goddamn RS

The solution here is to get both - one for on-ramps and stoplights in the summer and the other for the twisties in winter. :flashfap:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Spatule posted:

The Mercedes CLA is an abomination unto the lord.

The "shooting brake" CLA though, mmmmmh.

You know what the problem is with this car? It's not an AMG E63.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 4, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ynotony posted:

Did we all forget about the new C63? I like both the CLA and E, but the new C looks a lot better than both:

Those cars are so similar looking, I'd expect them to be a model year difference - not an entirely different platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ynotony posted:

Yes the front ends are so similar. But on the road and from the proportions you can tell the C is lot more compact, which makes it look better to me.

See, that's why I like the E63. It's a proper 60's-style station wagon for hauling 3 kids, a spouse and a dog to the beach. Then they stuck a 577 HP, 590 lb-ft TT V8 in it. It's just so mental. :allears:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 5, 2015