Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

It looks like a beetle. And maybe it's just me but V-8s really bore the hell out of me. Unless it's a high-revving monster it's going to end up sounding kind of like any number of big V-8s I routinely hear driving around and where's the fun in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Slothophile posted:

The 918 just got green lit....

gently caress yes.

Now I get to look forward to never owning one and only once seeing one in passing.

But youtube is good enough, right? Right? :(

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

travisray2004 posted:

Holy poo poo. Least interesting redesign ever.

E: Why do the headlights have a foreskin?

Jewish tradition, German car.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

DoLittle posted:

Alfa teases with a mid-engine, rwd, 850 kg convertible concept:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110202/COPY01/302029991/1164

Aren't those photos of the concept 2uottenta (or-whatever-the-hell it was called)? I had heard that the 4C would be based on that concept but there's just zero room for a MR or RR layout there.

Checked: Yep, that's the old concept, no images of the 4C yet.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

kimbo305 posted:

^^^ It's too bad the new concept has the potential to be uglier, then. I mean it might look great in that weird MR layout way, but it probably wouldn't look as sleek.

Agreed, I would have preferred they stuck with the FR as well, the long nose on that concept looks stellar and the proportions in general are perfect.

Can't wait to see what this new concept is going to look like, I have a feeling it's going to completely change my mind about the MR/FR change.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Wow, just realized I'm officially bored of flat black. That fad came and went pretty fast.

heat posted:

Well now I'm intrigued, can you elaborate?
All those black/white swirls makes it very difficult to follow body lines.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Question: How insane would one have to be to buy a first year model from Alfa?

(I'm already toying with the idea of getting a used one a few years after release)

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Throatwarbler posted:

:dance: - Charger SRT8, with the 6.4l Hemi. This one looks really good.

This car is vomit-inducing. It's like they just took the front clip off of an Evo X and called it a day, I can't believe they're going with that style.

quote:

:stare: - 429hp 5.0l V8 Genesis Sedan.

Don't care, when does it go in the coupe? :colbert:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
The belt-line is higher and it has a longer wheelbase. That's really it--the shape has stayed the same.

That's kind of a weird angle, there are lots of shots of it where it just looks like a slightly longer 997. Something is up with the lights though, can't wait to see what.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I don't know why but for some reason it looks more like the Panamera than the last 911.
I see the Panamera too, it's in the higher hood (pedestrians! :argh:), makes it look like they could almost fit an engine up front.

el topo posted:

Are you kidding me? This is the most substantial change since the 996.
:psyduck:

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 5, 2011

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Everyone do me a favor and don't link a pic of the rear-end, it's atrocious. Someone here said "Oh, that's where new cars come from" and now I can't get that image out of my head...still.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
On the topic of KIA, where do they stand in terms of build quality / reliability? They on par with Hyundai now or are they lagging a few years behind?

Edit: I just used Hyundai as an example of build quality and reliability. :psyduck:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
On the topic of collision avoidance systems: I always wonder how these systems deal with vehicles entering the path of travel momentarily. Say you're going through an intersection and a car zips through the red light and narrowly zips in front of you, what does the car do?

Or what if somebody makes a left turn at a reasonable distance then something happens and the car stops, at what point does your car realize "Oh poo poo his car is stopped I better slam on the brakes!"

It just seems that, unless it's very well refined, it could be a terrifying system to have in place with it constantly freaking out about "close" calls and slamming on the brakes.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

dissss posted:

I can't help but think VAG is getting too 90s GM like - too many divisions without clear enough differentiation.

I have a feeling that the vast majority of new car buyers have no idea that there are any similarities between VW and Audi, let alone Porsche.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

dissss posted:

Leaving Porsche aside I'd say the similarities between Volkswagen and Audi products are pretty widely known and in some cases actually overstated.

All you have to do is look at the motoring section of a newspaper, if they've reviewed say an A1 they'll be sure to mention you could just get a more powerful Polo for less money. Ditto with an A4, they'll say the Passat is bigger and cheaper and mechanically the same (even though there are some important differences between the two). It gets even more complicated in markets where Skodas are available.

Then you have VW splitting the American Jetta/Passat off from the international versions - presumably this is an effort to add further differentiation by making them bigger and cheaper

To someone who's really up-to-date with cars, yes the similarities are obvious, but the average new Audi buyer is probably more up to date with the latest news in sunglasses than cars.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Okay, so if they're saying that the 7-speed manual will be a manually actuated PDK, I really want to see how they'll set up the forks.

This is the PDK Transmission:

Now, say they have a shift layout like this:
code:
  1 3 5 7
  | | | |
---------
| | | | 
R 2 4 6 
How will you go from first to second with that transmission? Where will the forks be? How will they be connected? Look, if it's a single connection, pushing forward into first would put you into first, but then if you pulled back into second... the same fork for first gear would put you into third. The fork for second would be for reverse...

This doesn't make any sense unless what they're really saying is "We'll use the same shaft but move around all the gears so you have standard 1-2,3-4,5-6 groupings with a 7th gear thrown on.

Edit: I'm sure you could whip up some sort of mechanism to do this, but it would probably be complicated and feel very awkward compared to a normal manual. So much easier to just move the gears around on the shafts.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 8, 2011

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

dissss posted:

Whats the bet its just the PDK without any type of fully automatic mode

As in just a pure sequential transmission? Very much doubt that.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Porsche makes some drat fine gearboxes with a really good mechanical feel. Going to an electrically actuated H-gate would just be so completely awful I'd rather forget it and go with the PDK.

Porsche being Porsche, I imagine they'll find a way to make it a 7-speed with a mechanical linkage, hopefully by just changing the gear positions and using fork selectors (that's all they'd need to do) instead of the current PDK layout.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Throatwarbler posted:

305hp, 6 speed trans, column shifter, and velour bench seats on a 3500lb full size car that will probably retail for $23k, what's not to like?

BMW 3 series GT

http://www.worldcarfans.com/111071434941/2013-bmw-3-series-gt-spied-on-the-ring-for-the-first/lowphotos#2

Holy poo poo those tail-lights, anyone else notice how far they stick out from the body?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

About that Subaru WRX/Impreza split and the resultant coupe, here's one "artist's" impression:

Here's a better one:

And then there's this one:

Place your bets now!

Subaru will decide based on focus studies for the headlights. Whichever one has the worst lights will go into production.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
The rear end is quickly growing on me, but there's something off about it in profile--like the rear is turned up or something such that it doesn't have the classic slope. I don't know, but it's driving me nuts.

I think it's because it's longer it looks less sloped and more sleek, dunno if that works with the 911.

Good looking car, though, just not 911-ey.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

sliderule posted:

If handling is a priority, the Mazda2 rules the segment. Tossable, great steering feel, minimal understeer... hell, I can get lift oversteer out of it. It reminds me of an underpowered Neon with a shorter wheelbase.
Does Dodge even have anything in this segment anymore? Is the Caliber really the closest they have?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
A list of things I like about AWD in sports cars:

- Getting unstuck in snowy conditions
-

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I love Torque, fantastic app. The OBD2 scanner with bluetooth is a bit expensive but overall I think it's been worth it.

I just wish the manufacturer specific proprietary codes were available.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Previa_fun posted:

Get ready for even thinker pillars and higher belt-lines:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr081412.html

My favorite is the Lincoln. The Airbag deploys then cleverly steps out of the way right before the head touches it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Laserface posted:

200hp is probably too much considering how many fuckheads write them off driving beyond their ability.

In the past four or five track days I've been to, two 86s have crashed, one totaled another car and the other resulted in a full session getting black flagged (my session, just after the first lap, fucker). Basically, 86s driven by people under 25 shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a track.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

david_a posted:

Is there anything special about that car that causes this, or would those people have the same issue in a Miata or something totally different like a Mustang?

Mange Mite posted:

I think the problem is between the steering wheel and seat

Exactly this. I think it's the kind of young buyer that the car attracts. The last track day had several 86s and they were all driven by early twenty-somethings wearing hoonigan and "brake-blipshift-apex-trackout" t-shirts. They were very annoying.

BraveUlysses posted:

How is that even possible? Trying to drift on a regular track day?

Just novice drivers in RWD cars driving beyond their abilities. The first guy dropped two wheels into the grass, panicked and yanked the wheel over, spinning his car into a person passing him and crushing it against concrete. The second I don't know, just overcorrected big time after sliding a little bit. Babby's first doriftu I guess.

I actually caught the second guy's spin on camera, check it out from 19:30 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jsvF31NMTw

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

PlasticSun posted:

Shiro Nakamura was the designer of the Vehicross, now he's the Chief Creative Officer at Nissan, he also approved the 350z, Juke, Crosscabriolet, etc Dude loves weird looking cars, his nickname is "Fingers"

Fingers is the creepiest god-damned nickname.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I'm assuming people have played with the tune in the Giulia? How well does it respond?

Nevermind nobody's tuned it because they're all on lease.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

This rules and anybody who complains about it not having a Ford motor is boring. It's gorgeous.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Q_res posted:

Because a Huracan with a body kit is super interesting.

Look, I just want a mid-engine sports car with the flat-plane V8 out of a GT350. Is that so much to ask?

No too much to ask, just that the V10 sounds gobs better than the 350's FPC V8 so why would you want to? Seriously every time I hear one in person all I hear is a vibrating trombone. They can be better with aftermarket headers unlike the completely hosed OEM ones, but to my ears they never sound good. Not even okay.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

D C posted:

They are super loving comfortable, dont be an idiot.

Not compared to actual luxury sedans with suspensions designed for carrying people instead of 2000lbs of cargo. Every time I've driven in a luxury body-on-frame I have to say "Oh hey you almost forget it's a truck" to not be offensive but really what I'm thinking is "Why did you spend $80,000 on this piece of poo poo you're not even going to haul anything why didn't you just get a loving luxury car?"

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Saukkis posted:

Isn't one problem that the peak power and torque figures from the brochures are far from the full story. I've long thought that more useful measure would be "power area". Draw the power graph, choose start and end RPMs and then calculate the area under the graph between the RPMs. A complication with this scheme is how to choose what RPMs to use. I'd probably do an acceleration run to the highest gear, exclude the first and highest gear, then calculate the average RPMs of the remaining gears at gear changes.

I want to see integrals be a thing on vehicle spec sheets now.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I particularly enjoy how nothing flows in this interior at all, like the dashboard and the doorcards kinda seem like they should meet for a wrap around effect but meh, why bother?

Interestingly enough, I remember that the Buick Enclave does exactly that.

Yep, and it looks pretty nice, too:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Dynamic. DYNAMIC. dynamic...

Edit: Full disclosure I know a bunch about the car I can't say. What I can say because it's in the video (5:12) is look at that loving LCA ball joint. I was staring at the front suspension the other day and saw that the nut holding the ball joint onto the hub is surrounded by this cradle so getting to it with a wrench would be some sort of incredible feat. I'm terrified of what it's going to be like replacing one down the road. An engineer's response? Yeah I guess you kind of have to disassemble the whole setup.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 20, 2018

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I've been in most OEM's shops at different phases of construction or production, and Tesla is the only one I would never buy based on what I've seen.

Their corporate attitude to seems to be "gently caress it, go faster" on respect to everything and it is always bad.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

KillHour posted:

It's not about that factory not physically having a can of paint, it's that the more you try to do in one place, the more everything costs and the more time it takes. They probably have dedicated paint booths for each color to avoid having to swap poo poo out.

The application system allows for color changes but the changes take time and you need more supply lines, storage, etc., for it. Changes reduce the overall plant job capacity, in short.

Hey fun fact I work for a company that produces turn key paint shops.

Less fun fact, it's not that exciting.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Those headlights are just painful. Is this just a matter of the upper position being too high for regulations?

Serious Aztec vibes.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Look at this certified design classic right here.

...and this isn't even close to the worst offender.

I fully expect the driver of this car to fall out of the door in a shower of empties then start a fight with the crossing guard while in line for pickup at the local elementary.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

KillHour posted:

I've corrected your homework for what will actually happen. B-

I was actually looking at this the other day and it seems economy cars, at least, have gotten cheaper since 2000 once accounting for inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

I almost bought the same year M6 back in 2013. It was only 35k at the time with a manual. I'm sure it would have been cool but what a maintenance trap. And those headlights :'(