Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fknlo posted:

Next STI to have 400hp

"The price will undercut $50,000."

Yikes.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

So, who's betting that the administration will refuse to pay them citing the lack of need in August and GM will have just spent millions retooling and producing for nothing?

Oh, we’ll almost certainly still need them in the summertime. If not GM can probably sell them to other countries.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

1: All Corvettes have removable roofs - coupe versions don't exist.

2: The big complaint I'm hearing is about the quality control on the stitching. https://carbuzz.com/news/new-chevrolet-corvette-has-embarrassing-quality-issue

That’s our GM! *laugh track*

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Steely Dad posted:

I wonder how the pandemic is going to affect the new car market. I mean, negatively, of course, but which classes of new cars will be hit worst? Which’ll be more constrained in the next year or two, supply or demand?

I have fantasies of deals on ND2s and fears of there never being an ND3 or NE. :ohdear:

Everything smaller than minivans will go away and minivans themselves will become the new subcompact car to allow for adequate social distancing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ease of assembly over ease of maintenance.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Murgos posted:

Define a test 'family' of cars from a manufacturer that use a similar engine, transmission and etc.. and let the manufacturer supply some cars from each of those drive train perturbations weighted to sales expectation. For certification distribute a weighted average number of each perturbation randomly among the population and record their real world performance (this doesn't need to be free, it could be subsidized, i.e. at cost, with the understanding that the user must maintain the test records and reporting or pay full sticker price). Along with this empirical testing the manufacturer should supply analysis for the expected behavior over time and at end of life and show that it stays within the expected boundaries.

You can provide a preliminary auth to proceed to sale and discrepancies list to be resolved prior to high rate production after a week or two with the understanding that the testing continues over time and any additional findings for lifetime performance will need to be remedied at the manufacturers cost. Additionally any models used for analysis need to be updated to be in family with the observed results with the analysis resubmitted for lifetime performance approval.

As major drive train design changes are made to that family new vehicles can be added to the 'family test'. Continue to weight the distribution of cars in the family testing to be in line with the number of cars projected to be sold for the coming year and in the operational fleet. Minor changes may be certified though analysis with the vetted statistical models.

The onus is on the manufacturer to provide a car that meets requirements over it's life but the testing is not onerously expensive or prolonged. There is a strong incentive to provide accurate analysis upfront so as to avoid rework of already delivered units.

lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wheeee posted:

of course you can, the entire reason that regressive taxes like consumption and income taxes exist is that the government isn't allowed to tax capital

the mistake is in assuming that "the people" have power

They do! Corporations are legally people now. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Minnesota Mixup posted:

There will never be a tax on trucks because the manufacturers will never let their senators pass it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

There's the Eclipse Cross, which was so horribly mediocre and old-feeling that I told Mitsubishi I wasn't going to write the review after driving one for a week because it would feel too much like punching down.

:holymoley:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Charles posted:

Gazoo Racing hot-hatch Corolla coming?
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32434970/toyota-gr-hot-hatch-usa-confirmed/
I like the Corolla hatch but I looked at it at an autoshow and they didn't mold the spare into the trunk floor or give it run-flat tires, so it takes up so much valuable space. Otherwise I'd consider it as my next car.

If they put the AWD in it will be pretty great.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

Anyone else see the leaked 2021 S Class photos?

:allbuttons:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hikaki posted:

I had an NA with an aftermarket single din head unit that blinded me at night and couldn't change brightness so I had to cover it up with a cloth at all times. It had an aux input so I had to plug in my phone every time I got in and look at it when I wanted to change songs or answer a call.

I now have an ND with a screen that auto-dims when I switch on the headlights. All my music is on a USB stick that auto-plays when I start the car. My phone connects wirelessly and I can answer it without taking my hands off the wheel.

Modern cars are dope.

Gee too bad the aftermarket head unit wasn't replaceable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

No because performance SUVs are dumb. I forgot Lamborghini made that stupid thing.

If you're going to drive a Lamborghini truck get an LM002 or get the gently caress out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: nope

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

got off on a technicality posted:

I did read that Hertz has been run more riskily than Avis and Enterprise in recent years and it is now coming back to bite them. Can't help but think we have too many car rental brands anyway...

Don’t worry, I’m sure one of the competitors will buy the name.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the acura one is really sad. ford still makes some fun cars at least. acura makes uhhhhh uhh buh the NSX? i guess?

Fun Acura died when they axed all their stuff like the RSX and TSX sport wagon and they decided to move fully into the Lexus/Infiniti space.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

The RSX ruled. The ILX sucks and is nothing but a tarted up Civic.

God I know, I still miss mine 8 years after I let it go.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dissss posted:

Isn't that exactly what the RSX was too?

RSX-S had a better engine than the Civics of its day though they were based on the same Global Small Car platform. The base RSX shared an engine with its contemporary Si.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dissss posted:

The was a Civic Type R back then (market dependent)

Also the ILX has the 2.4 which wasn't in the Civic.

Sure, the Civic type R had the same K20A or K20A2 that the RSX type S and Integra type R did at the time depending on the year and where you bought it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Huge_Midget posted:

I seriously do not understand why Acura has not gotten their hands on the CTR and took a hot iron to all of the drat creases and lines that makes it look like a goddamn Gundam and turn it into something that doesn’t look like a meth addict’s half finished origami project. Take a car that is by all accounts a very very nice sports compact and make it palatable for the late thirties owner that has a professional career and doesn’t want a car that screams boy racer.

I’m not quite as bothered by the styling as you but yeah, if Acura dialed the lines back a bit and used the same powertrain or even better added their awd to a similarly sized car I would have taken that over the Civic Type R. If they do so in the future I would strongly consider switching to it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I don't care about the ride of the rubber band 20s, I just care that they'll you would probably pop a tire before the first oil change (nearly every single long term review had that happen.)

Happened to me after about a year plus I broke a spoke on one of the other wheels just before 40,000 miles. It should have had 18s at the biggest for the US market.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

Oh, you're a broke-brained Gen Xer. Got it.

You probably also like something that's not widely acclaimed. Whether it's a band, a beer, or your girlfriend sometimes a brain just really gets grabbed by something most people turn their noses up at.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

So now that Acura is trying to fix itself it seems like Infiniti decided to take over their old role.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/nissan-plots-infiniti-reboot-cap-revival (Emphasis mine)

I remember when the new G35 was introduced and the Infiniti execs made this big show about pledging never to take their eyes off BMW as a competitor and how they aspired to be the "Japanese BMW" and they would only ever make RWD products going forward. Then, I guess they decided to become the Japanese Mercedes. Now they want to become mid 2000s Acura.

That “make Infiniti great again” line at the end isn’t as inspirational as I’m sure they were hoping.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’m Utah failure to have a front plate isn’t a primary offense, so you can’t be pulled over for just that.

They’re trying to change that, apparently.

"I think your brake light is out" or "I thought you were speeding" are the two popular pretexts for that not a primary offense thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Same in MA but in the end it's gonna go to plate based.

And then rear mounted bike racks will be banned a year or two later!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

These images look like they were stretched horizontally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YlBh1TUcLo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CornHolio posted:

To be fair though, I remember as a kid thinking those lights were loving sweet

We had one of the early model Sables when I was a kid and people would flash high beams at mom and dad all the time because they thought ours were on. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sunaurus posted:

The BMW grille is like one of those pictures where it can look like 2 different things depending on how your brain works, and once you notice the second thing, you can't see the first thing anymore. It just looks normal to me now (after seeing it lots and lots of times at this point) - I don't remember at all why it was super ugly to me the first time I saw it.

It's two gray Chiclets glued to the front end and it's so bad it's causing aesthetic buffer overflows that make it wrap around to good for affected users.

Stare at this and see if you start to like it too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dissss posted:

BMW has been doing that for at least ten years now

lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Charles posted:

I don't think they make the GTR in a convertible.

Someone will if you pay them enough.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fknlo posted:

The proportions on that are so hosed up looking.

What the hell are those wheel arches?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

It's a visual trick to make the arch look like it sticks out further than it actually does.

I guess if Ferraris can have fake exhaust pipes pickups can have fake wide-bodies.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Why didn't they just put the gear selector on the column?

Because that's for sissies, real men have gear shift levers on the floor even if they're not actually shifting gears. They probably have six accessory stalks on the column in some luxury trims too. This would have been a case for a push button automatic though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You knew it was inevitable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Charles posted:

They already were doing that for the iPhone connection I think.

Yeah and they stopped when the villagers came out with torches and pitchforks, but they’re back.

stevobob posted:

I mean, poo poo like that will get hacked, absolutely, unless legislature comes down saying you can't do poo poo to your own paid-off, out-of-warranty car.

Something like a seat heater is easy enough to bypass with your own switch if nothing else but some of it will be harder. One possible outcome would be similar to the infamous John Deere tractors and their Ukrainian firmware but there will be an economy of unlockers similar to cell phone unlock kiosks that flourished in malls when that was still a thing several years ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I want an SVT'd up Bronco insanely badly but I've already got an F-150 that it's going to be hard to get rid of because it's enormous and we use it several times a year for roadtrips of 5 people that would in no way would be suitable usage of a 2 door Bronco (which is the only one I'd consider but I'm sure it wouldn't work with the 4 door either).

I'd have to replace the F-150 with the Bronco and then replace my daily driver with a minivan or something.

Can you just rent a minivan when you need it those five times a year?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sunaurus posted:

How is this real?

That's an S-CLASS interior. Does anybody actually think that that looks luxurious or classy in any way?

Mercedes gave up on classy a while back.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

My Civic mostly beeps to get my attention but if I try to release the parking brake without pressing the brake pedal it will talk to me. That’s the only thing I’ve heard it say so far.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wheeee posted:

underfeeding my kids on a vegan diet so they stay compact enough to fit in the back seat of my Porsche and i get to keep it

Ah, the Ashley treatment comes up in an unexpected context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Suspicious Package posted:

Oh yeah, another minor detail about the Bronco manual. You can’t get it with the Sasquatch package.

https://jalopnik.com/a-2021-ford-bronco-sasquatch-stick-shift-will-be-like-b-1844394812

lmaoooooooooo