Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

This car is so loving sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/02/science/earth/02emit.html?hp

quote:

WASHINGTON — The federal government issued final rules establishing the first greenhouse gas emissions standards for automobiles and light trucks on Thursday, ending a 30-year battle between regulators and automakers.
Enlarge This Image

The U.S. issued new rules that sets emissions and mileage standards for automobiles and light trucks.

The new rules, jointly written by the Transportation Department and the Environmental Protection Agency, set emissions and mileage standards that will translate to a fleet average of 35.5 miles a gallon by 2016, nearly a 40 percent improvement over today’s fuel economy.

Officials said the program would save the owner of an average 2016 car $3,000 in fuel costs over the life of the vehicle and eliminate emissions of nearly a billion tons of climate-altering gases over the lives of the regulated vehicles.

Reaching the new efficiency level will add about $1,000 to the cost of the average new car by 2016, according to industry and government estimates.

It is the first time that limits have been set on vehicle emissions of carbon dioxide and other gases that contribute to global warming. The E.P.A. is writing greenhouse gas standards for stationary sources like power plants and steel mills, but those will not take effect before next year, agency officials have said.

“This is a significant step toward cleaner air and energy efficiency and an important example of how our economic and environmental priorities go hand-in-hand,” said Lisa P. Jackson, the E.P.A. administrator.

The vehicle emissions program traveled a tortuous path through state regulatory agencies, the courts, Congress and the federal government before culminating in a groundbreaking agreement announced last May by President Obama, auto executives, labor leaders and environmental advocates.

The accord produced a single national standard based on a tough auto emissions law enacted by California in 2004. The automakers have complained of the cost of compliance but welcomed a national plan that did not require them to build different vehicles for different markets to comply with varying state laws.

“This as an example of where the federal government has actually done something right,” said Gloria Bergquist, vice president of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. “A year ago we were facing piecemeal policies set out by E.P.A., D.O.T. and groups of different states. Our auto engineers cannot design vehicles to different standards.”

But Ms. Bergquist said the program announced on Thursday would end in 2016 and there was no map for the road beyond. She noted that California regulators were already working on tough new standards for 2017 vehicles and that auto companies needed to know what fuel economy rules they would be required to meet.

The rule sets different mileage and emissions standards for different sizes of vehicles, and major manufacturers will have to meet increasingly stringent standards over the 2012-16 period. Vehicles that run exclusively on electricity, like the new Nissan Leaf and the forthcoming Chevrolet Volt, will be classed as zero-emissions vehicles, although there is a cap on the number of all-electric vehicles that carmakers can claim credit for.

Small-volume automakers like Porsche, Jaguar, Aston Martin and Lamborghini will not have to meet the new standards immediately, but must purchase credits from other carmakers. By 2017, all car companies will have to come into compliance.

The rule estimates the cost of compliance for the industry at $52 billion over the five years of the program, while it calculates benefits at $240 billion. Those benefits include fuel savings, pollution reduction and reduced oil imports.

Representative Edward J. Markey, Democrat of Massachusetts, has pressed for stricter fuel economy standards for years and was a co-author of global warming legislation that passed the House last June.

“After three decades of stagnant fuel economy policy and rising gas prices,” Mr. Markey said, “these new standards finally put America on the path to making our vehicles more fuel-efficient and reducing our dependence on imported oil.”

I like that this will push car companies to further develop hybrid/electric technology, however I don't like that government is mandating this and "carbon credit" taxing the smaller companies that cater to niche markets.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bidikyoopi posted:

I hope whoever made that render was either laughing the whole time or just loving around with PS on the can.

I think it was a "Hay guys watch this!" moment.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Next they'll strap 800lb worth of stupid poo poo on it and make it FWD.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/10/21/la-auto-show-design-challenge-entrants-reveal-1-000-pound-car-co/

Check out these zany drawings of the future:

Apparently the big RIMZZZZ will catch on and you'll be able to say "Hay bro check out deez 48ssss"
Nissan

Click here for the full 1280x684 image.

the car that future hairdressers take to the salon:
(MX-0)

Click here for the full 1280x576 image.

Maybach, now making gyro things instead of million dollar chauffeur driven land luxoyachts

Click here for the full 1280x905 image.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 24, 2010

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

And 50k euros? No thanks.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wouldn't it be easier to just bring the Finnish driving test here?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Would you like more government in your car?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/03/nhtsa-proposes-mandatory-backup-cameras-by-2014/5

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I heard about this bill on the radio today and there was a woman on who was from an organization for saving the 300 some odd children whose parents run them over every year backing up.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It's the prettiest "family" super car.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What's with BMW and all the dents/lines/distortions in the bodywork lately? Yuck. Are they still using the V10?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Well this time they didn't make it any more ugly, just more boring. Are they going to do a hatch?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Getting lots of R class Mercedes in this, which isn't good. The roof comes up too high then slopes back down weird. Hope it looks better in the flesh.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Who cares, after the first week of owning the car you know what side it's on.

People always looking for solutions to problems that don't exist.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Isn't the C300 the only benz available with a 6 speed and not a very good one from what I remember?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

I just don't see why you'd buy one over VWs other offerings. If you want a less practical Golf you already have the Scirroco afterall.

But the Scirroco looks so good, I wish we got it over here :(

They might have a base abarth here, kind of like Cooper has the S model and the JCW one.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I was wondering when they were going to come out with the figures for the new SKYD and SKYG engines, but holy drat! Even if that's a liberal number and in real world is closer to 60, it is quite an achievement. So which engine will be stuffed in the ND miata?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm sure they'll put lots of WARNING and DANGER stickers everywhere about CATASTROPHIC events happening, but it'll happen then a bunch of idiots will want to make a "recall" out of it, while the Mazda fans will call it a 'quirk' and common sense.

"Oh I put 87 in there to save on gas moneys :v:"

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What's the wear rate on sequential gear boxes in cars? Because I think your average person is terrified of the clutch and would be much more likely to learn a different way of shifting on a sequential.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

eames posted:

New video of a barely disguised 991 around Stuttgart, the best one I’ve seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFNRrygIzAA

Front spoiler kind of reminds me of the MP12-4C (best visible at the very end of the video).

Maybe the video didn't give sound justice, but it sounded so meh.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

extreme_accordion posted:

Rear axels to rust through in under 50,000 miles as a performance feature.

It's ok it'll be covered under the warranty.

Kia GT looks hot.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It still won't sell because diesel.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

IKillForPie posted:

There is literally nothing more in the world I would like than for this to be true and be available in Canada :suicide:

Rumor: 2020 Ford Bronco To Get A 7-Speed Manual Transmission

That's a pretty Lada Niva front end.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The US06 supplemental federal test procedure is designed to hit a representative profile of acceleration, deceleration and constant speed driving at a representative profile of speeds for the average highway driver. Anything over 75 mph doesn’t happen enough to justify including it in the test or creating yet another test procedure.

Any highway in the southwest the speed limit is 75, so it happens every time I leave the city.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I'm this close to buying a Golf R but don't drive enough to justify it :(.

Sounds like you need a miata then.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Buy a 10 year old S5 with a V8.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of Buick, the Tour X wagon looks pretty sharp. I was riding behind one today and couldn't believe I was admiring a Buick.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wheeee posted:

im half considering ditching my truck for new hybrid RAV4

how insane am i

Get a minivan instead.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Just needs to be slammed.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

So uh, the new Benz E53 AMG's are magic....I just test drove an E53 Coupe (zero wagons or even sedans in stock) and I am both more excited and afraid about a new car than I have ever been. Time to start looking into selling the daily to potentially make room.

That new M256 is amazing.

Edit: The new E class wagon generation has an deceptively large cargo area. Two large adult dogs can stand up in the back.

Woah that is a gorgeos coupe.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Really late on this but:

Read about a new car you like? It’s not too feminine for guys is it?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Rear seat airbags are a $450 option on the Audi S3 lol

I like German cars, but German manufacturers can get hosed

Like the curtain airbags?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

To bring up an earlier discussion, I'm right in the middle of the millennial age group and know a few gen x'ers too. No one I know is buying new cars. Even those who earn a good income are just keeping their 10-20 year old beaters (and mid range cars, lots of subarus) and running them into the ground. The couple of car guys I know buy used of course and one has a indy dealer access to auctions so he's not buying new obviously. On top of all that people are trying to get away from using cars when they can commuting/going out by bicycle instead since we have decent bike infrastructure.

VVV you're a prime candidate for a E92 M3 VVV

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 9, 2019

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

If I take the bus, I'm looking at minimum one hour door to door. The train ride is 10-15 minutes but first I have to get to the station a mile or so away (walkable in nice weather, otherwise I need a ride or I have to pay an insane amount and get on a waiting list to use the parking at the station) and then I'm at the whim of the once an hour train that makes the trip.

You can't walk when it's "not nice"? Wat.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

Oh, I can, I'm just 100% not going to when I could drive instead, hope that helps

Theproblem.txt

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Not having good infrastructure to walk/ride a bike on is a very legit reason to drive a short distance to work. I'm not a militant YOU MUST RIDE/WALK EVERY DAY ALL THE TIME person, I don't even do it 100% of the time and I have all the advantages - good bike infrastructure, short commute (6 miles one way), work place with a shower and bike storage, i'm a fit cyclist and know how to fix mechanical issues/flats etc. But hey, start with 1 or 2 days a week and see how you feel about it.

Anyways, how about this wagon?

My main complaint with small wagons, whose utility is always espoused, is the surprisingly small cargo space. My 2013 Honda Fit has more cargo space than this BMW (and even the E class wagon), which is 2 classes bigger in car size. Maybe focus groups don't care about having 60+ cubic feet of cargo room? Most hatchbacks, like a GTI/Golf have the same amount of cargo room as this at 52 cubic feet, what's the point besides buying a different kind of german mechanical mess?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

i mean you can measure cargo room in cubic feet but obviously that doesnt account for the shape of that space. can you fit a big dog in the hatch area of a honda fit? most wagons and CUVs can have two medium/large dogs standing up in the back of the cargo area.

Easy. I'll raise you, one medium airline crate, one 50lb dog - not in the crate, two 10lb dogs - they usually hang out in the crate, a 6 foot human sitting on the 40 of the 60/40 partition in the back seat, a duffle bag and backpack along with the two humans in the front of course. Two med/large dogs would be easy since the cargo space is taller than you'll get in any of these small euro wagons. Sadly I think in the new Fits are a little smaller in the back by 5 cubic feet or so, but I don't know where they lost the space. I love this tiny car.

Charles posted:

Cargo volume of a 2019 Honda Fit is 16.6 cubic feet versus an E class wagon's 35 cubic feet. You're comparing seat down volume with seat up volume.

I'm comparing both with their back seats down, ie max volume. It looks like they made the 2017+ E wagon up to 64 cubic feet though so never mind that one. The 2016, which i remembered from before had 57 which is the same as the 2013 fit.

Paradoxish posted:

Most people don't, except in the sense of bigger number = more better. Most people, on most days, could get by fine with the amount of space in the average sedan, and that's like that half of that. A lot of the stuff that won't fit in a sedan with the rear seats folded down is stuff that's just a little bit too big or that's super unwieldy to load into a sedan, and that's where anything with a hatch comes in handy.

Like, I've transported a ton of drywall and cement board in my mom's Sentra sedan with no problem at all. I transported enough flooring to cover two large rooms in my old E46 coupe. It would have been much easier if either of those cars had a hatch, but the issue had nothing to do with actual cargo volume.

I actually really love the Audi A7 for its hatch and absolutely gorgeous lines even though I think sedans are dumb.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 13, 2019

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Are Subaru interiors ok nowadays on the non loaded models?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

For their prices I'd expect it to be as good as Mazda nowadays. The older Subies (like mid teens) I have driven were total plastic parts bin poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Mazda’s interiors are getting up there with Audi these days. The inside of the new 3 would look good in a car costing twice as much.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

mazda has probably the best non premium interiors in the business now, so i don't think this is a reasonable comparison

Yeah now that I think about it, it's a poor comparison. I was more thinking along the lines of both being smaller Japanese car makers. Dang, as good as Audi? I gotta go sit in a new Miata or a 3 hatch. I know they've been pushing upmarket, but didn't know they were quite THAT good. I fuckin' love an Audi interior.