Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Comrade Flynn posted:

I kind of like individual threads for each piece of automotive news.

I don't think there would be a problem having both. Some topics would warrant an outside conversation so it didn't derail the general news topic. I think this can be a cool thread. Minor news can go in here too, that no one cares about, watch I'll show you:

Dodge unveiled a new color for the Challenger, Furious Fuchsia. It's a take on the old Panther Pink. It even comes with white pearl interior.

SRT8 trim, only 400 available:

Click here for the full 1280x833 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Naky posted:

That designer lived his live one drop of semen at a time.

Wait until they re-release Statutory Grape.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
AWD is cool and all that but if that was RWD it would somehow be more amazing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
There's a race shop near me that has what looks to be the tail end of a TVR Griffith poking out of it some days. I've never been able to take a proper picture of it which kills me, because it looks full tube frame, caged, and has steamrollers under it.

Seeing a TVR in the US is like meeting Jesus.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Boiled Water posted:

Why strip out carpets, seats and everything and not the dash?

Then you would need to make a new dash and that costs money. It's just the dash, and it's probably gutted, too.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

That just looks like every single mid engined car ever, what radical design cue am I looking at?

Well the class that it's in was basically a spec car since it's inception, and it's the first of the new generation cars to come out, IIRC. It totally has Corvette on the front body panel, in the headlights, side grilles, and the split window.

It's not radical, but it's pretty and a fresh look to an American racing series.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The one on the right is a rebadged Eclipse. What the gently caress?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

So the new Integra is out too.

Looks pretty good, but the mags are mostly panning the new Civic's driving dynamics.

Quarter panels shamelessly lifted from a Dodge Avenger.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
AWD in anything and everything.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Ecoboost 4 at 275hp

NA 6 at 300hp

Ecoboost 6 at 350hp

5.0 at 400+

Shelby at 650+

That's a lineup that can work, and I think you'd have customers for all 5. Turbos in a Mustang are going to gently caress with insurance enough to keep the NA 6 still viable IMO.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

Forgive me for possibly being ignorant, but..,why would a turbo 4/6 cost more to insure than an NA 6/8 with more power in each case?

Insurance companies love to jack up rates for any reason at all. It's not like a turbo Mustang will be considered a commuter car, it's a sports coupe with a snail.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think he's probably using the same logic that claims "911s still keep back seats because four seaters are cheaper to insure!"

Nothing about the seats, honestly. I'm sure there's a difference in quotes between a base 911, and a GT3, and insurance companies aren't dumb. It's 2012, they know who'd buy a turbo 4 over the NA 6. Look at the reactions here.....lighter weight and power gains are easy as poo poo. Besides, Porsche owners tend to skew older than Mustang owners. That factors in.

e- maybe if they add AWD....

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 11, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's funny too, because Fusions are really loving nice cars and are decidedly less boring than most in the segment.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

sanchez posted:

I don't know which fusions you drive but the FWD 4cyl we have is not exactly thrilling. I'd take an Accord any day, Honda really knows how to build a 4cyl engine and the interior quality is better. Fusion has more options for a fair bit less money though so perhaps it's not a totally fair comparison.

I work with the Ford account at the auction I work at so I've driven all of them. The base models offer more options in the class, and the AWD 6's are a loving blast to drive.

e- also enough about interior quality, Hondas and Toyotas and everyone else uses cheap plastic too. I don't know why this is still A Thing in 2012, the Big Three have been getting positive reviews on their build quality for over a year now.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 11, 2012

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

bidikyoopi posted:

Honestly, how long has it been since Honda released a new car that was objectively better than its competitors? S2000 came out in 1999, I guess you could count the RSX in 2001, and then since then it's been Ridgelines, Odysseys, aging Accords, the CRZ, the ZDX, and a host of other lovely cars that aren't competitive. Their most competitive "sporty" car is the Civic Si and the new one isn't really hitting it off.

I fully expect this to suck despite really hoping it doesn't. If they nix the hybrid motors, use the money saved to focus on lowering weight, and just use the tried-and-true N/A 3.7L they could hop on the simplification bandwagon and offer an upmarket FRS/BRZ-segment car.

R.I.P. fun honda

Honda is resting on its laurels at this point, they are the Chrysler of Asian cars IMO.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's Mitsubishi then? I'd say Honda's more like mid-90s Ford, minus the exciting parts.

Mitsubishi is mid 90's Eagle. Which is funny when you think about it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Linedance posted:

Peugeots might be lovely, but at least they look cool.

An Audi TT raped an Eclipse.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Presto posted:

The front can't decide whether it wants to be a Farrari California, a plain old Dodge with the crossbar, or an Alfa-Romeo.

Normally I poo poo all over this kind of design work, but when the car is probably going to be a class leader in its segment in terms of performance, it could look like a copy of a brick shithouse and I wouldn't care.

The different design elements can be pointed out as coming from here or there, but the end result just screams Viper.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Acuras look now like a transformer that broke out of warranty. They have weird bulges in odd places. Also the handling is like a heavy version of a golf cart.

Honda really isn't what it was 15 years ago.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cream_Filling posted:

I usually just hit up google.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Dodge_Charger/2012/specs/Dodge-4dr-Sdn-RT-AWD-335653/

It looks like the 2012 Charger R/T AWD is 4450 lbs. I also went and confirmed it on their official website (I used the compare cars feature). Hoooly poo poo that's huuuge.

Just for perspective, my regular cab 2wd Ram weighs 4900 lbs. Chargers are loving bloated.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Linedance posted:

perspective of what, a two seater with nothing but air behind the seats? No rear crash structure? Only 10 inches longer? I'm not surprised it weighs less than a Charger.

Perspective in that a unibody stamped metal car is just barely lighter than a conventional frame vehicle, which is not really ideal. It's poor design, and there's no way they aren't able to shave some pounds from it. I'm saying this as a Dodge guy, I'm not just ripping on the Charger/300 for nothing.

If they could get the curb weight of a Charger down, it would be a fairly good car in the segment. If they could do the same with the Challenger, it would go from boulevard cruiser into an actual pony car. How Chrysler can make trucks as good as they do and cars that are terrible is beyond me.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
poo poo, a Fusion is like 3600. It's crazy how heavy the cars in the US are. loving crash standards! :mad:

I'd kill for a 3600lbs Charger. Two door too, please!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

davebo posted:

I agree, I'd have really liked to own one. I just wish there was more of a segment for it to be in though. In terms of RWD sedans under 30k in America, pickings are pretty slim to begin with, and I can't imagine there'll be any amazing cars with no competition.

That's how I even got my truck in the first place. I went to the Dodge dealer the first week the Charger came out. They had a stripped black R/T for 30k, it was perfect. I saw my truck there, but a special edition hemi Ram was prolly big bucks, so I didn't look at it. Got the Charger, put my money down, told to pick it up the next day.

Well I get there, see it tagged and detailed, it was so sweet. My first new car! "VikingSkull, we have a problem. Chrysler needs more money down than what you did, the cars are very hot right now...."

Long story short I tell him I work at the big auction here, and I know dealerships don't tag and detail a car unless it's sold. He offers to show me some Jeeps (:wtc:), I tell him not interested, looking for a RWD V8, was going to the rival Ford dealership for a Mustang. He shows me the truck, it listed for 35k, I ended up getting it for $23500.

Honestly, I was hooked when I took it for a test drive. It's utterly useless, but it's a lifesized hot wheels car so I'm ok with it.

Dodge is really good at that recently, their cars are absolute caricatures of the era. I'm really interested in how the Fiat influence is going to effect the look.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I think it's hilarious a trend that started because people left hot rods in primer to concentrate on the go-fast part has evolved into "oh no my matte paint is dirty what ever shall I do?"

Good god allmighty.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Not a new car, but this hardly warrants a thread and I can't contain myself so I'll post it here.

I drove a 2010 Nissan GT-R at work today.

OH.

MY.

GOD.

:psyboom:

What a loving machine. What a glorious, amazing, frightening beast. The punch from 1-2 was like a shotgun blast. The faster you turned, the harder it gripped. The rev matching on downshift made my dick leak.

I mean, I don't even...it's just....gently caress it I can't explain it.

If you ever get the opportunity, drive one. Pay money to do so if you have to. Just do it. Thank me later.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
662hp. My god.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Dart SRT will be a high output turbo 4.

I do like the brand rationalization strategy. I think Fiat-Chrysler is already proving to be a little more intelligent than DC ever was.

Ma Benz taking over Chrysler was one of the worst things that ever happened to it. They took a profitable company and loving destroyed it.

Being a Mopar guy I was leery of Fiat merging/owning Chrysler, but I think they actually "get it". They have not made one move that has led me to believe they intend to hurt the brand. In fact, they've improved it way more than I thought possible. Ram becoming its own brand, along with SRT becoming one, are seriously two amazing moves.

Fiat is so cool.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, I was just gonna post that. The Aviator was terrible, the Mountaineer hardly sold, and the Grand Marquis/Crown Vic was kept alive by fleet and rental sales.

Remember the Lincoln Blackwood? What about the Mark LT?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

angryhampster posted:

Fair enough. Just pointing out that it's something every American maker does in order to gain more market share fromt he same assembly line.

I saw a Mark LT at the lake over the weekend. What a goofy truck.

The Blackwood was far more goofy. It had plastic (black) wood trim on the bed, a built in hard tonneau, and a carpeted bed. :wtc:

The Mark LT was just a tarted up F-150.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The CTS-V coupe and wagon are great looking in person, but the coolness of them only slightly overcomes the ugly. A base CTS sedan is really loving bad looking. Edge styling looks great if you have a long hood and short deck, but basically ruins every other car.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kenshin posted:

Reposting from the Toyabaru thread:

Oh hey look, Nissan doesn't understand what it wants to compete with! Lightweight, RWD, 2 seat coupe? I know! Let's make a lightweight FWD coupe! If someone wants the true performance version, they can get the heavy as gently caress AWD option and get destroyed by the car we're targeting.

Fantastic idea, I hope Nissan's CEO gets a multi-million dollar bonus this year.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Oh yeah, the FR-S is a 2+2 huh? :doh:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's not even Japanese cars. My '89 XJS had useless rear seats too.

It had a V-12 though so it only really mattered if it had a drivers seat.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ha, are you my brother?

You know the back seat is small when a fourthgen Camaro feels downright roomy by comparison.

I grew up in the back of a third gen Camaro, not a real treat to ride in either.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

davebo posted:

Well I knew it had a straight rear axle, but I intentionally didn't mention putting that back in. Also I don't think a vin sticker weighs a lot and filling the trunk with poo poo doesn't reduce weight. I assume they shaved a lot of weight getting rid of the irs and interior niceties.

I mean I'm not gonna buy one or anything. I just figured it'd be nice for the people who think it's a sports car but will never do anything but accelerate from a stoplight. Hell if it was around 3,200lbs just leave the V6 in and bump up CAFE standards.

I don't think you understand what the COPO is for, it's a homologation special designed to run in specific NHRA classes.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tekne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td9Gz_h7Qpg
Multiair is a cool piece of technology, and right now they're working on integrating it with the Pentastar and Hemi (I'm assuming) engines. Hopefully it won't be a liability as the cars equipped with it age.

Multiair with the free-flowing Hemi heads would be ridiculous.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tekne posted:

I think we can expect to see some awesome products from Fiatsler in the coming years. An Italian poster on Allpar shared this interesting tidbit:
While integration has served both rather well, it'll be interesting to see how consumers react to Alfa and Maserati vehicles sharing or based on Chrysler designs. Their current stuff, like the Pentastar V6 and LX platform, are very competitive and will no doubt perform even better with some Italian lovin', but it could put off some people. I think most of their potential consumers won't care at all after a test drive.

Ask a Merc SLS owner if they care that their car is a Viper underneath, I'm sure they won't even notice (or believe you).

The fact is, Americans have always done large cars fairly well, and trucks to great effect, and Europeans have always had the best small cars and sports cars. A company that gets the best of both worlds with management that isn't retarded, like Chrysler and Fiat seem to have, is just going to be awesome.

They certainly can't gently caress up Chrysler anywhere near what MB did, that was a loving travesty.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Hashal posted:

I'm almost scared to be run out of AI by admitting I owned one. In my defense, it was the first car I bought on my own... Sorry, that isn't a defense, just a testament to my stupidity and excessive alcohol intake in my early 20s.

Edit: I've tried to make up for it with an LS2 and an LS6 since then.

See, case in point. I'm a Mopar guy, and I don't care how rich I ever get or how good their cars are, I'll never own a MB product.

NEVER FORGET

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I actually liked the styling of the Crossfire, and the SRT6 was definitely more fun to drive, but like was said maintenance costs were asinine, even the SRT6 wasn't powerful enough, and in the segment virtually everything was a better buy. It was perhaps the most glaring example of just how bad MB didn't get it in regards to running an American car company.

Lesson learned is if you're a car company with terrible books, buy a profitable car company, drain their coffers, then say they went bankrupt as you do nothing to change your own product.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Preoptopus posted:

So a buddy and me got to talking at work and he let me in on a weird fact.

You can buy a brand new Dodge 1500 with a 5.7L and 3.92 axle with LSD for under
24 thousand dollars. Making this I think the cheapest V8 RWD car you can buy.
Heres one I built http://www.ramtrucks.com/hostc/bmo/CUT201213DS1L61A/2TA/summary.do

I got my 05 Ram Daytona new for $23,500, but that was a huge discount on the sticker. A Hemi regular cab 4x2 with a 3.92 absolutely screams in a straight line, but the wheelhop around corners is....unnerving.

If you like drag racing, it's basically a 2 1/2 ton 13 second machine, which can be hilarious.

Preoptopus posted:

If I didnt have the V8 + Six Spreed in the build thats what I ment, Sorry. My buddies point was that in his opinion it would beat on v6 Mustangs and for 5 grand more you can bolt a blower on it and have a monster of a truck for effectively under 30 grand.

Exactly. They are way loving faster in a straight line than people expect. I suspect mine will only go 100-110mph, but goddamn the 20-60 roll is loving scary.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm getting a supercharger for mine eventually. 5,000 pounds, big gear out back and 600hp or so should be cartoonish enough for me to get some sport truck recognition in AI.

There's Rams running 10s and 11s out in the wild, I know AI hates trucks but a 5,000 pound anything that fast is AI as gently caress, IMO.