Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Blocko posted:

I love hatches but I really wish they would make AWD or RWD variants instead of the same old FWD torque steer machines. For the money the RS500 costs i'd look into something RWD or AWD any day as 350hp going to the front wheels is just begging to be driven into a tree.

R32 fits that bill but it's not 300 hp though that can be taken care of with a bit of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

dissss posted:

As an someone from outside the USA I think it looks horrible - like a caricature rather than an actual design.

Same goes for the Camaro, Charger, Mini and all the other pseudo retro designs around these days.

I definitely wouldn't say the Civic or Genesis are great looking cars either but neither looks quite as silly to me.

Edit: it wouldn't stop me from buying a Mustang if they were available for the same type of price they are stateside of course, at the end of the day results are more important than looks.

So you hate the mustang but you'd buy one if you could afford it? Odd.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

BonzoESC posted:

I work from home in a really walkable district in Miami, so I only drive once a week or so. When my car dies, I really have no idea what I'll get. I want a GTI, but I can't rationalize it at all.

Nobody who owns a GTI can rationalize it. That's the point - it's a luxury. :D

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Why is AWD the magic bullet that makes handling awesome again?

You mean you don't need AWD to drive to the mall like what 99% of people who buy AWD sport sedans do?

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

BoostCreep posted:

Hyundai has to step it up to stay competitive. The 370Z, Mustang, and Camaro, which seem to be the Genesis Coupe's competition, keep getting more and more powerful. If they don't put the direct injection in the Genesis to bump the power, they will fall behind considerably. I would seriously have went out and bought an '11 Genesis Coupe last week if I didn't see there was a chance for this new engine. If I bought an '11 and then 6 months later it had 64 more horses I'd be pretty pissed off.

And the Genesis Coupe does come with an LSD, just not in the base model. In fact, I'm a little annoyed with the Genesis options. I want a Genesis Coupe with the 2.0 Turbo, LSD, leather, sunroof, and 6 speed manual. But you can only get the leather and sunroof on the Premium 2.0T model, which is automatic only and no LSD. The LSD comes with the Track and R-Spec models, which are 6 speed, but no sunroof or leather.

The only way to get the LSD, leather seats, sunroof, and 6 speed, is the 3.8 Track version, which is not the engine I want. I really hope they fix this for 2012.

You can live without a sunroof and you can always get the interior redone in leather with better quality leather for a grand or even less depending on who does it. It does suck that you can't pick options "a la carte" as much as you used to be able to.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just cannot get into Audis. They all seem terribly bland. But then I guess that's what their market wants.

Have you ever owned one?

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Lowclock posted:

It's still front wheel drive and is one of the most boring looking automobiles I've ever seen, and continues to bastardize one of GM's best names. I don't know who's buying them besides fleets and senior citizens. I had a fresh 2008 as a rental car once and the only way I could describe driving it would be "Bluhhhh".

BMW should just give up this crap already. This and that other GT just end up looking like small SUVs. They've already demonstrated in the past that they know how to make beautiful and functional wagons tourings out of their normal cars, so why are they loving it up now? When people say "wagons are gay and ugly and I would not buy one", chances are good they're thinking about poo poo like wooden-stickered Roadmasters, not e34 or e36 tourings.

(No I'm not trying to hate on roadmasters)

I don't think people are thinking about fake wood Roadmasters. I think they just really don't like wagons which is why Audi Avants and BMW Touring don't sell that well. They'd rather buy SUVs. I happen to love hatchbacks and wagons so I don't think that but I'm not the one with the money for a new BMW or Audi.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
The utility of a minivan cannot be beat. I love cars but I rented a minivan once to haul a bunch of stuff to a nearby city and drat that thing was nice. Easy to drive, comfortable captain style chairs, tons of space. Way more useful to me than a pickup or SUV would be.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

bidikyoopi posted:

What's wrong with the clutch exactly? Too soft? Weird engagement?

I had an '01 GTI and I thought the clutch was just dandy but I'm not a serious race dude or whatever. *edit* Read kyoon's reply... yeah my clutch wasn't anywhere near that explanation.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

Yeah, I understand that. I freak out sometimes when I have to drive an automatic and someone locks up in front of me and I react by immediately looking for clutches and gearshifts to engage and stop, plus the big giant brake pedal throws me off.

Strange but when I drive an auto I realize there's no clutch and don't go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

I thought the main point of a dry sump setup was to mount the engine lower down (and relocate the weight of the oil reservoir), not oil starvation. Hell, converting a SBC to dry sump is mostly bolt-on parts, I believe.

I think the main point is so when you're pulling GEEEEs you don't starve the engine for oil.