Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Man I wish it was September already, so I could get my hands on a 2012 Cruze with the color touchscreen and pushbutton start both standard on upper trims.

Shoulda had them in the first place, GM. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

I saw my first new Focus today. Front looks great, interior looks great, but I saw it first from the rear and thought it was a new Hyundai. :(

In general, I have found that car reviews seem to glowingly praise the exterior styling of the new Focus. In addition, they call the Cruze's styling decent but boring.

I personally feel the opposite...I think the Cruze looks grown-up, and that the exterior as a whole seems to fit together and make sense to my eyes. Too many elements of the Focus seem mishmash-y to me, especially the lower front end and the taillights.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for the Focus's target audience, but I much prefer the understated Cruze.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Faerunner posted:

Downside: Still a Chevrolet

Chevys are pretty good now, fyi. It's 2011, and the Malibu and Cruze are excellent.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
drat.....not until 2013. I can't wait that long. Gonna grab the best 2012 I can get, which probably means the Eco.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The original xB was extremely useful but nothing could make up for the fact that it was/is ugly as sin. Maximum utility design = :barf:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with the new Hyundai Elantra? I'm considering one, because roughly 22k buys a loaded one, with a comforting 10 year warranty. It looks great outside and in, and it took first place in Motor Trend's recent sedan comparison. But I have no knowledge of Hyundai's current reputation for quality.

Is a 2012 Elantra as good of a value as it seems? Thanks bros. :love:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I ended up going with an Elantra. I test drove a Cruze, which was decent but overpriced. Plus, you get far less gadgets and the back seat is tiny.

The Focus is also much more expensive than the Elantra for a similar option sheet. Plus, I find its front end hideous.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

How did the 3 drive compared to each other?

The Cruze drove quietly, and absorbed potholes well. The Focus was the least quiet but seemed to be solidly planted. The Elantra's engine was as quiet as the Cruze when maintaining speed or accelerating moderately, but got a bit loud when I floored it.

Since I do mostly highway driving I didn't care one bit about redline performance or the ability to handle twisting backroads. Thus I chose the Elantra, which offered the most highend options, for the least money, with the best interior and backseat room, and the longest warranty.

I entered the test drive process not knowing which of the 3 to buy. My wife and I drove the Elantra last, and we both immediately knew it was the right choice.

EDIT: the Focus's build quality was excellent, but I believe most consumers will get more use and value out of the Elantra's goodies than out of the Focus's ability to eat up tight turns. But maybe that's because I have kids, and I'm not in my 20s anymore.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 2, 2011

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

If someone told 2005 me that the 3 best small cars in the US in 2011 would be made by Ford, GM and Hyundai I'd have laughed.

Me too. Especially Kia/Hyundai. The Elantra, Sonata, and Optima are all great looking cars that pack on the features and keep the price low. I would expect them to shrink the 10 year warranty soon; these cars are just too good.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

perhaps all better was a bit overstating it, more like "not a class leader" would be more accurate; my larger point is that the Civic does not do anything particularly well. it's a fine car, it's just about fourth best in the segment. i don't think that's a controversial opinion at all.

As someone who just spent 6 months agonizing over a new economy car purchase, I can attest to the Civic being extremely average in appearance and performance. It's not 2004 anymore, Honda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just got a '12 Elantra and if I could have afforded to wait longer before getting a new car I would have probably taken a look at the Veloster at that price point. They look fun.

Hey there '12 Elantra buddy! Amazing car, isn't it? :love: