Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

So the 2012 C&D Lightning Lap is up. There's not much really new or surprising in this years although the new Chryslers have all become much faster.

EDIT: Also the X5M gets a better time because it's a truck and just drives on the grass instead of the track? What kind of bullshit is this?

The X5M has a shitload of power (555HP) and a shitload of technology doing what it can to make a rather tall 5,300 lb beast handle as close to a car as it can. It's also $90k+ and should compared against the Cayenne and not really the Jeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think the Audi/MBZ LED's are annoying and too bright.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I can't remember the last time I've had to actually manually turn ON my headlights in any of my BMW's since 2000....people still have to do that? :smuggo:

My headlights turn on if it's even slightly foggy out and it has DRL's and if that isn't warning enough there are the Orion V2 angel eyes (turned all the way down with a rheostat since the fuckers are so bright)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I drive a BMW and I keep the switch on manual because I drive rentals enough that auto headlights create potentially dangerous and bad habits.

Yeah, I understand that. I freak out sometimes when I have to drive an automatic and someone locks up in front of me and I react by immediately looking for clutches and gearshifts to engage and stop, plus the big giant brake pedal throws me off.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

wav3form posted:

Strange but when I drive an auto I realize there's no clutch and don't go for it.

blame car control clinic drills

drive 35 mph straight at cones
ditch left or right based on flag signal
lock up in target box without stalling (meaning take the car out of loving gear so it doesn't stall and you can get away from exploding tanker truck or zombies in front of you)

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 3, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

TrueChaos posted:

I've given a few people wiplash before, but generally 5 minutes and I'm fine. My right hand drifts over the gearshift a lot though.

.... then something horrible happens in front of you and you revert to emergency instincts for a second or two before you realize have neither a clutch pedal nor a gearshift (that's all I was trying to say).

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Seriously. If they put a bigger engine in this, I'd drive the poo poo out of a car like this. Why do you hate station wagons and hatchbacks, America? :negative:

I think they use the "USA Doesn't want them" excuse (I'M TALKING TO YOU ESPECIALLY BMW YOU BASTARDS THAT WON'T BRING new 1/3/5 wagons) but it's really the fact that they will not risk jeopardizing even ONE high margin SUV/Crossover sale. Not even ONE! Now, the hatchbacks are a different customer IMO and the manufacturers will bring some of them over to compete in the Focus/Mazda3/Kia segment.

Of course it doesn't help that it costs a lot to have each model certified here so they will absolutely analyze any profit potential before even thinking about going through the process.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm really thinking about being sensible and proactive and ordering a manual E90 328 Wagon before they are kaput and driving it for 10 years, since from here on out we only will get autobox X1/X3/X5. If they had brought over a 335 wagon I'd have one already. My non-sensible side wants a V8 M3 before they are extinct. :smith:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
How the hell is this Integra ILX different than the TSX?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

It's going to be made and the TSX is being killed off? Also it's a Civic and the TSX is an Accord.

I did not know the TSX was getting clipped.

I did know the TSX was the EuroAccord and almost the same as the American Accord but not quite and then they brought the Wagon version over finally which would be cool if it was cheaper and AWD but no it's a $35k FWD wagon. So the ISX will be a EuroCivic but really an American Civic 1.5 but none will be available with a manual transmission as those are for poors. Got it.
:psyduck:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

The TSX wagon has a 2.4l I4, why does it need AWD? This "I would totally buy [car] if only it was a WRX and cheaper" thing is getting boring. No one actually thinks like that and even if they did make an AWD version it's not going to be cheaper than a WRX so you'll never buy it anyway. There is no vast unfulfilled demand for AWD versions of everything. Is it just because Audi and Subaru are insidiously good at internet car forum marketing?

I was just saying that if they want to charge $35k for the car, at least toss in an AWD drive option at that price so it would be more competitive in whatever market segment it was trying to compete in. Price the FWD version at $32k. Do people need AWD? Most often NO, but they WANT it in a lot of cases.

I also think SOME of the consumer "demand" for AWD is in response to people just being sick as hell of FWD cars, especially as the HP creeps up to 300HP in some of these beasts.

I'll stick to my RWD BMW regardless.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That thing is gorgeous except for that somewhat funky steering wheel (which I'd make myself get used to if someone gave me the car). I'd also require a fake tachometer, a smaller battery meter and some engine sound effects so I can choose what engine to emulate at 100 decibels.

Until I can pull up at a stoplight next to a Prius that is rumbling like a big block 502 V8, I will remain unsatisfied with EV's. :psyduck:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
This would work:

http://www.hark.com/clips/sdgzbvrcwj-jetsons-car

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, you'd never get sound like an ICE out of an electric motor. Noise equals wasted energy and electrics are simply too efficient. Personally, I like the new turbine-like whine you can hear in the cabin under full acceleration, but it's not particularly loud on the outside.

I think thunder could be a good "powerful electric motor" sound, especially the whipcrack+lightning sound a lot of special effects guys love. Do a low rolling thunder for lower revs, too.

You could make all sorts of vehicle sounds with dedicated speakers. Hell, we already have fake interior engine noise in the new M5, why not a Prius outfitted with outward facing 1500 watt 15 inch engine noise subwoofers that rumble at 130db?

I guarantee that this kind of stupid poo poo is coming as people will always demand new ways to be obnoxious. :psypop:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Jay-Zeus posted:

The rumormill is churning out the possibility of reviving the G8 as a Chevy "SS" model. I am extremely interested in this and will probably pre-order one if there's a nice blue, Tremec on the LS and a decent steering wheel (G8's was ungainly and ugly). I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a auto-only AWD Impala with a turbo engine like the SHO.

But no one makes full-size sedans in the ~35-40K price range with standard transmissions so I probably can't see GM stepping outside the box.

Fake render: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/20/rendered-speculation-chevrolet-ss/

This is going to sound weird but why the gently caress not at this point just make a 4 door Camaro and drop the hunchback rear so you can actually see out the back of the thing and stretch it out out bit? It's not like anybody actually gives a poo poo anymore about the integrity of the marquee/brand and Camaro's 1960's mullettude. Offer coupe/sedan versions with multiple engines, sport configurations and transmission options.

Also: Would carmakers please stop ripping off the M3 gills already, it's so loving tired. I'm surprised they haven't popped up on lawn mowers and bicycles yet.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Do you mean copy the Camaro styling for a sedan? Or use the Camaro chassis for it? Because if you mean the latter....:ssh:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gm_zeta

Oh, well there ya go! ...and look how much better it looks without a gigantic gold bowtie on the front. I think most people are just going to assume it's a Taurus at this point and I suggest stealing the styling of the Camaro, at least the front.

Dodge ripped off the Challenger rear for the Charger and they might as well have stolen the front as well as the Challenger front is much more appealing. And again, the history of all these cars (Mustang, Camaro, Charger) have been so humiliated and bastardized they might as well keep doing it to the poor things.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
As you say, not the Mustang really except during the 70's but the Camaro had been an ugly mother for many years after that and handled like crap for 20+ years. They had to put a bullet in its head, wait a few years, then come out with the redesign just to rid themselves of the gold chain/mullet association.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Fight to find a parking space; park car; come back to missing car.

....or the infamous "get home late, drive around for 45 minutes to find a spot within a 25 block radius, secure spot, catch a cab to go home.......wake up, spend another 45 minutes trying to find your car."

OH I MISS U SF.

I showed my Mom the new Ford Escape and she's not digging the new catfish mouth styling and is still clutching on to her sturdy 2004.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Faerunner posted:

Shame about how ugly this generation of Mustang is though.

They've kind of gotten away from the 2005 retro-refresh a bit in the front.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

BoostCreep posted:

I think the new one looks pretty darn good.

I personally liked the bigger, rounder headlights on the original refreshed version (2005-2007 or whatever) as I thought it really gave it an exciting retro look compared to the boring pieces of ugly crap previous models since 1970. The latest version is very nice but I'd almost feel obligated to add the center headlights (that might come in handy once every year) just to make it look more retro.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I thought they were "driving" lights meant to mimic the 1969 Mach 1 that was the inspiration for the 2005 refresh. I don't think I've ever seen anyone using them on the road though.

2005: Rounder larger lights, more pronounced.

2013: more turn signal stripy thing going on, smaller headlights, more squished front, "sort of in a slight way" reverting back to 2004

2004:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 23, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, I don't see why they didn't just stick with that 2010-2012 version for another 3 years. I will agree now that the 2005 really looks a bit dated, but it was such a violently needed change..........and it is the closest to a 69.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 23, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

Haven't people been harping on about this for at least 10 years?

I think they are finally doing it starting with the F30 Coupe which will be a 4 and M4.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
911 (997) DIY'ers over on Rennlist are freaking out about that. It looks a good 30 min and some air tools just to get to the filters. Sweet spot for a 911 (if you can swing it) is still a 2009 C2S.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

So just like that, BMW throws out almost 40 years of branding? I have a really hard time believing that they'll do it.

The 3-Series has always had a coupe option; hell, as the E21, it was ONLY a coupe. As for the M3, I can't imagine they'll call the coupe an M4, even if the regular F30 coupe is branded as a 4-Series - just too much history there to ignore.

No official announcement yet but it seems to be trending..........no idea of the % accuracy of any of these but none of it would surprise me if true. They definitely want to make sure we know the coupes are more exclusive than the sedans.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/spyshots/

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw-4-series/ke3834.html

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/scoop/bmw-4-series-latest-spy-pics

There is an X4 coming as well.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 23, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

grover posted:

Porsche is not building the 991 for shadetree mechanics. They're building it for people who can afford to drop $100k+ on a car.

^^^ ya that for sure. Most new 911 buyers are just doing 3 year leases for $1600/mo and not caring about long term ownership or DIY.

Newer Rennlist thread, but since it's only every 40k I don't think most will care. The older thread in the 997 forum was more "WTF?"

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=703054

I am still punching myself in the balls for not buying a 993 10 years ago, the prices on those keep going up and up still.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 23, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
IMHO, FWD only works if the car is relatively powerless. I can attest to hating driving the Maxima/Acura TL FWD beasts of a few years ago. My father had a Maxima and you had to wrestle the fucker to get it to corner at all and I'm not talking about taking the Laguna Seca corkscrew in anger but pulling out of a Safeway parking lot.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, but a lot of RWD outright sports cars still come with open diffs. They're not standard on Miatas, Mustangs, Camaros, 350Zs, Genesis Coupes, or even Boxsters and Caymans. I'm always shocked by how many very sporty cars don't have LSDs when my chumpy little Civic Si does.

Only the M-series BMW's get proper LSD's since around 1995 or so.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

A used modern Audi or BMW is a terrible decision if you're that worried about money.

Fixed.

Have a new Ford Focus SEL rental today, since I'm having a 3.15 differential and some other stuff done to my BMW 330 today, which by the way, has over 125k miles and has never left me stranded. Solid cars. Audi's don't live as long, IMO.

That sync thing worked great with my phone, no idea if any of the rest of it works. Not a horrible car although obviously a bit gutless with an automatic.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 26, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

Doesn't the rental-spec trim have a manumatic mode? I do know that it's a (dry-plate) DSG.

Hell if I know, it has no owners manual but appears to be a 2012 Focus SEL from Budget. I did see the S mode and drive it around that way and it does act like much more aggressively and holds downshifts. I'd basically always drive it in that mode if I owned it. Good little car.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I grew up as a young goon riding in my Mom's 1974 BMW 2002 which my crazy old man bought in 1975 from the used car lot in Monterey he was working at. :colbert:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think they were told "Go look at some KIA's and rip them off" and did so in committee fashion.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What the hell does Earth Dreams Technology mean?

I thought it died after Honda bailed F1.

Also: That Mondeo/Fusion wagon is gorgeous.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 8, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Steve French posted:

Every time I see someone driving an X6 or 5 series GT I want to hurt them for potentially making BMW think that producing those models was not a terrible idea.

The BMW X6 is only for people that wanted a really, really expensive Nissan Murano with better looking headlight/tailights and more technogizmos.

Steve French posted:

They got rid of the 5 series wagon in the US when they introduced the 5 GT. When I was considering buying a 3 series wagon, I was informed that they were also considering replacing it with a 3 GT.

F30 3-series will have a wagon arriving in 2013 and it's drat nice. They'll make a GT version too for suburban retards that need extra space JUST IN CASE THEY RANDOMLY BUY A 60" TV AT COSTCO ON A WHIM!" *oh poo poo, it won't fit anyway!*

I just picked up my F10 535 that I had ordered back in July and it has a great 6 speed manual. It was the only one they'd ordered for someone in 2 years. I figured the bugs had been worked out of these since 2010 and this was the last time I'd ever be able to get one with a stick, so what the hell. I'm just saying that silly cars like the X6 and GT's subsidize the fact that I can still get a 5 series stick in some respects.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 16, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

discstickers posted:

M badge on the dead pedal :smug:

BMW followed MBZ and Audi and loving plastered the poor beast with M badges as part of the m-sport package. Dead Pedal, Steering Wheel, Shifter, huge ones on all 4 door sills and of course, on the rimz. It's silly and a bit embarrassing, tbh - as the only race I'd beat an M5 at is some sort of ultra-long distance fuel efficiency challenge.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 17, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I don't get the "Luxury pickup" thing at all. So many people at work have them too.

So you can load it up with Tapout stickers, jack it up 36 inches, and maybe tow something 10 miles twice per year when you are not trying to drive it like an M3 and weaving in and out of traffic and spewing diesel exhaust all over. MANLY MEN spend $60k on pickup trucks! :911:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

Looks like BMW's new 1-series GT has been officially unveiled at the Paris Motor Show.

I hate the idea of a FWD BMW like everybody else, but that is a damned attractive car. It's going to have a turbo three cylinder engine in it (in addition to being some kind of plug-in hybrid), supposedly. I can see this thing hitting all the right buttons if three things are true:

1. It handles like a MINI Cooper. I see no reason why BMW couldn't do this - I think it's on the same platform as the MINI even.

GRRR, ANGRY!

If you read the article, they are positioning this car as an urban vehicle that will rarely see the highway. Most likely for people that hate Mini/Audi and want some BMW bling instead of the baby Prius/Fiat/Scion/etc. I could see them all over SF, full of smug, latte sipping, web blogging, trustafarians. :smuggo:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645709

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I took the cupholders OUT of my BMW E46 330 and replaced it with a eurotray because I pretty much only drink out of bottles with caps on them that can easily be tossed into a backpack....and yeah, they sucked anyway and if you have a MT, anything taller than a half can will get in your way. There are also insulated travel bottles with screwtops on them as well that you can put coffee in.

If you feel an overwhelming need to drink 128 oz. big gulps in your "car" go buy a lifted F250 with custom tribal paint to match your collection of Affliction shirts already.

:colbert:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 4, 2012

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I last bought a Big Gulp in 1993 back when I was in college and didn't know any better.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
A real man can open a beer bottle at 150mph on a mountain road with his seat belt buckle while steering with his one good knee.