Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Suave posted:

Also, I would say Nissan's future looks without a doubt more doom and gloom than Honda's.
This is certainly true; just look at the glaring absence of their models from this thread. The passenger cars are without exception boring, ugly, underpowered and uneconomical. Their SUVs are hideous. The Z is fat, slow and unrefined, and I don't think AI needs to be told about the GT-:argh:. The only thing they have going for them is their pickups, but those aren't exactly top of the market these days, and if the woes of the Big Three have taught us anything, it's that trucks can't carry an entire automaker.

Anyway, Ford is becoming a force to be reckoned with, and most other automakers will be playing catch-up with them pretty soon, if not already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You know, all talk aside, I'm beginning to doubt that oxcarts have an 8.8 at all.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Based on a lot of reviews of the Mazdaspeed 3 vs. the Mazdaspeed 6, AWD is justifiable solely on the basis of eliminating torque steer, even before other driving dynamics are taken into account. Adding it to otherwise RWD cars is debatable, but there's no question it makes an improvement over FWD for performance applications.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Looks like those clutch packs take the place of a transmission clutch and the differential. The pinion gear drives that big cylindrical housing, the clutch packs control how much of the power gets sent to each front wheel.

E: It's got some variation on a gearbox, it just splines directly to the crankshaft, and the clutching/slipping action takes place in the "diff" housing. Sorry if that was unclear. Basically it's an e-diff that also serves as a clutch for the front tranny.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 9, 2011

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, rake the windshield a bit more and it's a front-wheel-drive 911.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mobby_6kl posted:

They probably weren't, which is why the movie owns. Go watch it.
Second. Paul Walker is as wooden an actor as ever, but the movie's fun as hell to watch. Plus, there's only one street race depicted in the whole movie.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MiniFoo posted:

I don't get it.

Plymouth BReeZe.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

With trucks and SUVs anyhow it's not like the RWD version is super awesome handling and the AWD one is not. Most AWD vehicles that are at all fun to drive are derived from originally RWD platforms, or are dedicated AWD like Subaru.

On the other hand, there's the Evo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lowclock posted:

*Or just does the test in the quicker automatic instead* Whoa it's 2011 already?

Frozenphil? Is that you?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Astroman posted:

Ah yes, the Cadillac Sixteen, another car I would definitely have bought. :(

Don't forget its contemporary, the Cien:

Would have been GM's first mid-engined supercar (aside from the Fiero, that is).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

Just another reason flip-up headlights own. I can see and hear them when they go up. Of course, when they freeze shut...

Well clearly you need to switch to HIDZ so the heat melts the ice.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A5H posted:

There's a new McLaren coming and it's a proper hypercar :ssh:

This was always the plan IIRC. Build the MP4--12C as the "practical" McLaren to fund the F1 successor.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, the SLS is all but confirmed to be built on what was to be the third-gen Viper's platform. We don't know if THIS third-gen Viper is also built on that platform, though; it's not like Fiat auto group has a dearth of sports car platforms to build on, after all. It could be a whole new car from the ground up.

I'm really interested to see whether the new engine will be odd-fire like the old Vipers or a euro-style even-fire design. Has anything like that about the motor leaked?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

wav3form posted:

I think the main point is so when you're pulling GEEEEs you don't starve the engine for oil.

The main point is whichever affects the conventional-sumped engine more, but both are major benefits to performance.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's amazing, really. While he was there, I remember a lot of :argh:LUTZ:argh: from the automotive press. Now he seems to be a missed opportunity for GM to really become competitive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

RE: FWD turbo V6 cars, is everyone forgetting about the Ecoboost? 3 of 4 vehicles with it are transverse FWD platforms.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Devyl posted:

So the new Dodge Dart started rolling out to dealerships yesterday. I'm pretty opposed to the car in general, as it's your run-of-the-mill "car by manufacturer" relying on a legacy of a famous name. And it can come in Laguna Blue.

It really ought to be a hatchback, demographics and market preferences be damned.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cream_Filling posted:

I think they're calling it a "four-door coupe." Which is kind of dumb, but consistent.

Wasn't the 6-series essentially a 5-series coupe to start with? This is like the Explorer Sport-trac: A pickup truck... based on an SUV... based on a pickup truck. Congratulations, you've invented a Ford Ranger!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Could they do a longitudinal FWD setup, leaving RWD as an option for performance models?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tobu posted:

Meanwhile I think Mazda is on a winner with the new 6. It has a samurai helmet feel to the rear end.

Here for more:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/6/59404/new-mazda-6-preview-pictures/page/3/0#main-content-area

Those taillights are gorgeous, I'm getting a major FD vibe from them.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

travisray2004 posted:

Isn't the SS supposed to be a slightly updated G8? or is that just their foundation?

Both are Americanized variants on the Holden Commodore.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Throatwarbler posted:

Sorry to interrupt your 10 year old car chat, but GM is introducing variable intake valve lift on the 2014 Impala!
[quote]The engine achieves variable valve lift using an innovative all-new rocker arm that switches between low and high lift intake cam profiles. The mechanism is actuated by an oil control valve through a dual-feed stationary hydraulic lash adjuster.[/quote]
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Sep/0917_intakevalve.html

So Chevy has invented VTEC.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Throatwarbler posted:

Especially considering that the current limitation of the multiair heads is that they are too big and limit an OHC head to being SOHC. A pushrod engine would not have this issue and a large OHV V8 would actually be a better application of the multiair tech than a small OHC inline engine.

And you could have some semblance of VVT on a pushrod motor with that, running a high-overlap performance cam and reducing overlap with the multiair system.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

So a buddy and me got to talking at work and he let me in on a weird fact.

You can buy a brand new Dodge 1500 with a 5.7L and 3.92 axle with LSD for under
24 thousand dollars. Making this I think the cheapest V8 RWD car you can buy.
Heres one I built http://www.ramtrucks.com/hostc/bmo/CUT201213DS1L61A/2TA/summary.do

Yeah, but with a 5,000 lb curb weight, 70/30 weight split and 4-speed auto it's not exactly going to be blowing the doors off of anything.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hedge posted:

Sounds like a 5-cylinder to me.

http://youtu.be/PIlkNXq8pu0

To me, it sounds like a V6. Which makes sense.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Das Volk posted:

So a frat destroyed a Continental to make that thing :ughh:

You really are a bad person, you know that?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Q_res posted:

The more powerful version of the 1.0 should make for a really entertaining motor in the Fiesta. But I can't stop thinking that two of those joined at the crank would make for an amazing TT V6.

I think you mean I6. :getin:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

angryhampster posted:

I don't get it. Mazdas, aside from the Wankel-powered coupes, are just as efficient as others in their class, no?

Well, speaking from experience, my 03 Protege gets around 22 around town, maybe 26-28 on the highway. Contemporary Civics and Corollas were easily hitting mid 30s. Granted mine is a Speed and I have a lead foot, but poo poo, I was getting similar numbers out of my old Taurus.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cobb has put up their own take on the situation (rehosted at my server) where they actually tested a number of different solvents against each other, including Seafoam. It did dissolve the buildup, but only in a situation where it was allowed to puddle in the intake port for a number of minutes; it wouldn't do a drat thing if it was blowing past it into the combustion chamber.

Yeah, that's the most effective way to use it. You use a vacuum line to suck it out of the bottle fast enough that the motor's right on the edge of stalling, then shut it off as soon as it's all in, let it sit for like a half hour while you eat some pizza or w/e, then go start it up and drive around as a rolling smog generator.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

On topic for last page's RamChat :v:

Tell me that's a floor jack and not the lift you're using to lift it like that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Between styling trends, competing in the same market segment, pedestrian safety and collision ratings, and having similar aerodynamic concerns, there's only so much variety the stylists can put in for wrapping up a particular package.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yyyyyy posted:

An electric car, even electric racecars ain't gonna have any fireballs popping out the exhaust or badass turbo blowoff noises or any of that.

sorry for the double post!

Well, if you have charging infrastructure at the track, you can use it to power big fuckoff tesla coils and jacob's ladders and poo poo like that while the cars are out racing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bumming Your Scene posted:

A 30K Mercedes is going to make this guy's life a living hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un_snBLgMsE&t=28s

Holy poo poo that guy is my new hero.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Throatwarbler posted:

So Spinning off Ram as its own brand has at least one benefit: As a brand that only makes one product they can at least make them pretty reliable. Ram is now just behind Honda and far above Mazda or Nissan.

In other news, Mercedes getting better? Guess in one or 2 years it will be a good time to pick up an SL63 AMG for $35k. :dance:

Of course Land Rover's at the bottom.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Steve French posted:

The guy posted this in response to Elon's tweets (but not the blog post, this was posted before that):
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/the-charges-are-flying-over-a-test-of-teslas-charging-network/?ref=johnmbroder

One retarded tidbit:

Low speeds helping your mileage, sure, but the idea that speeding up and slowing down would *help* mileage? I wonder if a Tesla employee actually said that or if he just fabricated that "advice" as well.

I could see regenerative brakes extending your range... if you're using them to slow your descent down a mountain road.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The LS was a fine design, and mechanically and comfort-wise it's what Lincoln should have kept making instead of going back to glorified trim levels of standard Fords.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Laserface posted:

And having a dashboard comprised entirely of one part just sounds bad when heater cores and wiring and stereos have to be removed.

Well, if they're producing the part and assembling the other stuff inside of it, presumably they'd have access inside of it, yes?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, unless that really dinky piece of glass you can see through the window is the windshield, I'm pretty sure it's facing right. Plus you can see the silver door hinges.

Fake edit: Yeah, some quick googling tells me that's an Enzo, here's the same car fully dressed (from the other side):

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DropShadow posted:

A real man could tell that was an Enzo from the window profile alone.

Yeah well EFF YOU TOO buddy. t:mad:

In all seriousness, when I think Enzo I mostly think of that nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Giblet Plus! posted:

Curb weight, 3,211 lb

Wow, my Protege is 400 lb less than that. poo poo, my Blazer barely weighs more than that. Man, new compact cars really are getting fat as gently caress.