Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

Not really a new car but I drove a Fiat 500 Abarth today after work and I'm absolutely in love with the thing. It's a little turbocharged go kart, and I love the sheer ridiculousness of the car itself. It's like one of the little woodland creatures in South Park. It looks harmless and cute but it has guts for such a small car.

The only problem I have is trying to find one for a decent price. I could justify spending $24 000, but all the dealerships here only have models that are fully decked out and selling for $30 000. I don't want the painted wheels, racing stripes, leather seats, sunroof ect. All I want for options is Sat Nav and A/C. But since all the dealerships only have one in stock, of course it has all the options. It's a shame too because I have never had so much fun driving a car since I first drove my dad's old M3, and it should be in my price range but there just aren't any in town.

I want to drive the Abarth but I'm honestly not sure if I could even justify shelling out $24,000 for it. I'll be out test driving cars tomorrow and a dealer actually has a few in stock so maybe it will blow me away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cream_Filling posted:

I do think that bundling performance features with luxury features is annoying, because it makes poo poo super expensive. Just because your typical know-nothing prestige-obsessed buyer will usually want the biggest engine to go with his full glass heated leather bullshit doesn't mean you can't have also offer a more practical performance package on the side.

It's like on the new ATS. You can't get the magnetic shocks without also getting the luxury package. So it's $10k over base to get to goodies I'd actually want.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kenshin posted:

It's a terrible decision if you don't research, do minor maintenance yourself, and don't have a good mechanic. It's an awesome, money-saving decision if you do those basic things.

So you're saying it's a terrible decision for most buyers?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I paid more to park my car in a Chicago suburb per month than I pay to rent a mid sized house in NE Indiana per month.

$65/month for gated off the street parking for me here in KC. :smug:

I can't even imagine having to pay the crazy rates that come with living in Chicago or NYC.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

I think the Spark is going to be a good litmus test for whether or not "normal" city cars can work in the US now. It's base price is only $1,620 lower than the base price of a Sonic hatch. Though it does come with some nice features not available on the base trim level Sonic. GM's posted estimated numbers are 6 mpg better in the city and 3 mpg better on the highway compared to the Sonic. I'm really interested to see how sales shake out for this thing.

I think the sales last month weren't terrible, especially for a car that's had zero advertising and I doubt many people have even heard of.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Glad those new Golf pictures didn't make me regret my recent purchase of a 2013 TDI. Hopefully they can keep the quality up and not take it the same route of the mk6 Jetta.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Franco Caution posted:

Please Mazda, offer this with a stick!
And no I dont mean that bullshit you normally do where you offer a vehicle with a stick, but only on the poverty spec model.

Judging by the rest of their lineup, I don't see this happening.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm surprised that the King Ranch, Lariat, Platinum and Raptor make up a third of F-series sales.

I don't get the "Luxury pickup" thing at all. So many people at work have them too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crustashio posted:

I really wasn't impressed when I drove the Mk6 GTI during one of those VW driving events.

After test driving one with a friend after I bought my TDI, I wasn't impressed either. I definitely didn't think it was worth the $3k more than my TDI with similar options.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My mk6 Golfs cupholders don't hold my 52oz iced teas from Quik Trip all that well but they're passable. My focus didn't deal with them very well either.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

I can't tell if you're serious or not. :negative:

Somewhat. I love iced tea and 52oz of it means less trips to the gas station!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You can always tell who's from somewhere else here in KC by them being the only one doing 20 over the speed limit. Doing 5-10 over generally has me passing most other people.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Funny, Autoblog just made mention of a new six-speed and a CVT for the Forester; is the former only going to be available in the base model? Seems stupid.

This is pretty much a thing with a lot of manufacturers right now. Mazda, Hyundai, Subaru, etc...

Base model with no or minimal options available with a stick, any package above base has an auto standard.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

The bigger issue is that an Escalade-V should have been a license to print money for GM.

I'm kind of surprised that GM is just now jumping onto the whole luxury package thing that's had customers throwing obscene amounts of money at Ford for a few years now. Add $5000 in upgrades, charge $20000 for them and start lighting the cigars.

I guess they had the Denali trim with GMC, but I don't see many of those where pretty much every single F150 I see is a Platinum or King Ranch and whatever else they have.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

sim posted:

Why can't we get some more hot hatches over here? Not only is Mercedes not bringing the 350 hp AWD A45 AMG hatch, they're likely not importing any hatchback version of the A class. I've been car shopping for a performance hatch with an automatic transmission and the list is pretty much: GTI, A3. No BMW M135i for us, no RS3, and now we get skipped over by Mercedes. Apparently they will make a watered down, crossover version of the A class. Bleh.

I think the prices the A45 AMG and RS3 would come in at would lead to absolutely abysmal sales. I'm a hatch fan and haven't owned anything that wasn't a hatch or a convertible version of a hatch in drat near 10 years but would have a serious issue ponying up the $40k+ that those would come in at. Hell, the Golf R is way too much.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

angryhampster posted:

I agree. I think they nailed it with the overall shape. I like it the same reason I like the XV Crosstrek. It's just kinda weird.

Not gonna lie, if the XV gets some better engine options I'll seriously consider ditching my brand new Golf for one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Wish there were some more fun to drive diesel options to at least test drive before I bought my Golf. Better late than never though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cream_Filling posted:

Isn't this meant to be a replacement for the 3 series coupe?

Yes. I don't get the reasoning behind it at all, but I'm not in marketing.

The lower part of the rear bumper is really busy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So how much bigger are these than the outgoing model? Gotta keep making it harder for me to see around the guy that will put something in the bed twice during the entire time he owns it.

The GMC doesn't look too bad though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bob NewSCART posted:

Infinitis coupes are pretty nice but holy gently caress their SUV/whatever the gently caress they are, are loving hideous and make me cringe when I see them.

What's the one that looks like a Beluga whale from the front? The first time I saw it I immediately noticed the resemblance.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

oRenj9 posted:

It is easing people into autonomous vehicles at a comfortable pace. Everybody I've talked to about autonomous vehicles have flipped their poo poo at the mere suggestion of riding in a car that is driving itself. Even in the face of early evidence suggesting autonomous vehicles will be significantly safer.

I don't get it. People seem to be completely fine(or ignorant, probably ignorant) with planes that fly themselves, what's the big deal with a car that does it? In modern airliners, the pilots are basically up there dicking around outside of taking off and landing, which the aircraft can probably do itself. Nobody seems to mind this.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Faerunner posted:

When I'm the passenger, I could literally not care less if it's a robot doing my driving or a human. When I'm driving, I'm driving, and that's how I want it. Simple as that.

While I feel the same way, however,

Snowdens Secret posted:

What percentage of drivers would you say are both:

- completely uninterested in driving outside of getting from point A to point B
- utterly outclassed in driving skill by the AI from an early version of Grand Theft Auto

This being at least 95% of the driving population is going to lead to really fast driverless car adoption rates once it goes mainstream. People will become used to it, just like they eventually got used to riding in elevators without an operator.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

No poo poo, I don't get why everyone is arguing against it so hard. I don't see a driverless car that can truly handle any situation in the near future, so it's not like the car will actively prevent you from driving it.

I bet within 20 years you'll have the capability to handle 99% of them though.

Back to the aircraft thing, I could see a system of fixes that a trip computer in the car uses to navigate like aircraft do now. Throw in a transponder system mandated for all cars and something like TCAS in the driverless ones and go from there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

A lot of comments are hating on the styling, but I think it's a big improvement over the current one.

I'm in the "it's terrible" camp. It's not just terrible, it's a complete loving mess.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Maybe I'm looking forward to the new GT3 so the 997.1 plummets even further in value. I may be in the market this summer so the timing would work out really well.

They'll probably never hit the prices that 996 GT3's are at, but a guy can dream :fap:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wasn't sure about the back end from the renders, but that looks loving great.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing the Z06 will be in the 550-600hp neighborhood with the ZR1 in the 700 range. There's no way they're going to let a Mustang top it hp-wise.

I love when I hear people talk about pushrod engines being "old technology". Didn't they come around after the first OHC designs? Even if they didn't it's not like OHC is some awesome new thing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

It really feels as if we're right on the edge of a major breakthrough. We have a couple of technologies that have a possibility of displacing the internal combustion engine, but all of them are lacking in some crucial way and it's not really clear how or when this will change.

It's fascinating as all hell, but very frustrating too. I want the future to be now, dammit :(

I always wonder how much influence oil companies have in regards to this. The internal combustion engine getting replaced wouldn't be good for them and you know they do their best to impede the rollout of new technology that would do this.

:tinfoil:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

They couldn't have POSSIBLY put those on without having non-round taillights!

All of the round taillight renders I've seen have been terrible. It's not like they didn't try it out on a bunch of their designs or anything.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
That new Mercedes looks really bad from certain angles. Like it has some weird bubble, too tall greenhouse thing going on. I expect to see them everywhere though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Franco Caution posted:

They are seriously pulling the poverty-spec only in order to get a stick thing again?
Well there goes me ever getting a mazda6 :(

This is pretty standard from a lot of manufacturers now. Subaru, Hyundai/Kia, etc...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

So instead, people push a little harder on the gas pedal, shift a little later and things are much faster and more comfortable.

Where the hell do you live where people drive like this? I leave 95% of cars in the dust shifting at 2k RPM in my Golf TDI.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

davebo posted:

Even in my Corvette I'm normally just putting around the suburbs, and people with SUV's often jump out ahead of me from a stop light just so they can get to the next stop light super quick. I don't understand the appeal.

For reference I'm in Maryland north of D.C.

Sometimes I forget what driving other places is like. I remember being in Chicago one time, doing 20 over and holding up traffic. Here in KC, I have to slow down on onramps so I don't run other cars over while doing the whole shifting at 2k RPM's thing. It's insane.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NOTinuyasha posted:

There's no objective reason to buy a Jetta diesel either, don't kid yourselves.

As someone with a Golf TDI, this is 100% true. You can get mileage close enough to what you get with a diesel for thousands less in quite a few other cars. It was more fun to drive than those options, and price wasn't really a big concern for me, so that's why I got mine. I've told a few people that have asked me about it that they're better off buying an eco version of something else if they're strictly worried about economy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

The only correct reply to that is "Yeah I know, but it's cheaper!".

Here in Kansas City, diesel is about 50 cents more than premium on average :smith:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I see it being a step forward in performance but I'm almost afraid that this will reinforce prices on the 997.1/997.2 GT3.

I see this too, which sucks because they'll hold above what I want to spend on my fun car in the next few years.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My dad had new/lightly used Impala/Camaro/Chevelle SS's when he was a kid and so did his brother. Granted, my grandpa was a TWA pilot back when pilots got paid, but I don't think he was the type to just buy them those kind of cars.

He still talks about the Chevelle SS that got towed from in front of his house while he was on a deployment because my grandma couldn't get it started after the city passed some law about parked cars having to be moveable. He gets pissed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Oh, sure, right after I buy a car.

Yeah, I grabbed a 2013 Golf TDI last August. I couldn't wait around on the hopes that it would come here and it'll probably be retarded expensive for no real reason.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

In Australia the current GTD is cheaper than the GTI

Here, a GTI with basically the same options as my TDI is about 1.5-2k more. I expect the GTD to be in the $28k range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

I just don't think the fun factor is there though

I bought my TDI because it's actually decently fun to drive for something that's giving me almost 40mpg in combined driving on winter fuel. Giving it more hp and a slightly sportier suspension would probably add to the fun factor.