Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
Nothing to read.. just this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKO5dRWYXA4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
If you think that Lincoln is bad, perhaps you've yet to see the BMW i8.

At first I was like Oooh, then I was like Ughhh...

I'm still convinced my next new car will be all electric.. apparently just not a BMW.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, if you take away the dumb two-tone paint, it doesn't look bad at all.

When I watch the video of it in motion, all I keep seeing is a trapezoid.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
BMW has finally made a car that I don't think looks like Amy Winehouse. It's not exactly without borrowed inspiration in its design, but I'm just happy they gave up on the stupid curvy headlamps. So much better this way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

This is far more time than I've ever spent thinking about these boring old man cars.

Clearly an old man car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va8RFux4kGY

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

zakiu posted:

lol the "track scenes" in this video cracked me up. the cls 63 - the ultimate car for when you want to coast around a race track at 60% speed in absolute comfort and press buttons at the same time in the lap of luxury. i laughed out loud thinking of what kind of person would fall for that ad

The CLS isn't the fastest AMG on the track, but it's actually capable. I took my dealership's CLS 550 to the track when I was in Germany and it definitely didn't handle like a boat and that wasn't even with the AMG setup. A CPO'd CLS 63 is surprisingly affordable.. I was about to buy one last year, but I decided to get married and spent the money on our wedding.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I think the wood looks cheap and nasty, but other than that, it's pretty nice.

I agree about the wood part, it's a step in the right direction for US manufacturers. I'm also not a fan of burr, I think it's a gross color to try and coordinate in a car's interior. My Merc uses a black birdseye maple that I think is stunning:

I still think the best wood automotive interior goes to the E63 AMG's piano black wood trim. Couldn't find a better pic, apparently it's really hard to find a high-res photo of an E63 interior that isn't the CF treatment. They had several at my dealership in the black trim option and in person it's the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen. Here's a picture of a piano black wood treatment on a Brabus Smart that I saw at the Frankfurt motor show a few years ago. I didn't like the contrast treatment as much as I would have preferred the black on black on black like on my car.

According to Brabus I believe they said the wood trim upgrade alone on the Smart car would run 8,000 euro (about the price of the Smart car). My wife was definitely tempted to get it for hers.

As far as the Chrysler goes, I still hope deep in my heart that one day the US manufacturers will figure out how to design knobs for poo poo like the AC that isn't a giant blob of plastic. It's like the engineers think that someone should be able to no-look for everything and grasp it easily so the driver can keep their eyes on the road, but the reality is that 90% of US drivers are paying attention to anything but the road anyways. So they might was well comprise substantially for aesthetics since at heart we all love a beautiful car. The instruments are at least a big improvement.

e: looking at the 2012 line on the AMG website shows the piano black gloss trim no longer exists and has been replaced by black ash. I guess if I ever want to own it I'll need to pickup a CPO'd 2011 E63.

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 6, 2012

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

dissss posted:

Are we really doing HUDs again? I thought they were a late 80s fad like digital dashboards.
Brace yourself for the future

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

According to MB, this generation of the A will most likely come to America. Expect limited configurations compared to Europe, as always.

Go on.. tell me more.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Or just whatever Mercedes uses on the SLS.

As a disclaimer, this is a guess and I say it ignorant of the actual current state of tech sharing between Benz and Chrysler.

Non-existant. Daimler sold them back in 2007. I think Daimler paid like $35 billion for the company back in the 90s but was happy to get rid of it for a billion dollars. If you look at where Mercedes has went since 2007, I can't say I would blame them, they were a loving albatross. As far as the whole SLS/Viper rumor I don't buy it for a second.

e: The concept was sketched in 2009 with sketches displayed at the NY auto show
http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/concept_cars/mercedes_sls_amg.html

It's also claimed to be the first car entirely designed "in-house" by AMG,
http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/road/cars/mercedes_sls_amg.html

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 6, 2012

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Ward's Automotive Names the 10 Best Car Interiors in the 2012 Class
(alphabetically)

Audi A7

That list is worthless.

How in the world are any of those better than this:

e: Here's the old interior, maybe it wasn't "substantial" enough:

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 20, 2012

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The A7 probably has the best-designed and executed interior of any vehicle I've sat in, including the Bentley Continental.

Does that LCD screen flip up or is it permanently affixed floating above the dash line? I also counted 17 buttons and 2 dials on the center console around the gear selector.. besides the dash buttons hidden behind the gear selector.. maybe I just need to sit in it but from the pictures I'm not even remotely impressed. If I have to look at the floor to find a button it's in the wrong place.

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 20, 2012

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Motronic posted:

It flips up when you start the car, and goes back down when you shut it off.

I don't get it. They started this in the A8.

Either find a place for it or don't, but why move it all the time?

Yeah, my biggest complaint about my Merc is the flip up LCD screen. They only put it in for the first 3 years of the new C class before they integrated it into the dash and it looks so much nicer that way.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah it's flip up, which is kind of annoying and the only real issue. Showing it at night doesn't do any favors, in my opinion.

Buttons behind the selector are kind of a non-issue. They're redundant to the MMI and are pretty easy to reach and use from the front seats. One thing I don't get is the little touch keypad, could never figure out how to use it to do anything other than change preselected radio stations.

I personally hate MB's system of putting every loving thing in a redundant control in the dash though so if you like that I can see why you wouldn't like the A7.

It's not the redundant buttons that annoys me, the difference is Audi putting it on the center console instead of Mercedes placement on the dash faceplate. Maybe it's because of flying, but if I can't look forward while scanning I get annoyed and uncomfortable. Having to toward the center of the car takes the road out of your peripheral, so you either have to fumble or look away from the direction you actually want the vehicle to travel.

e: As far as the number pad, it's useful for dialing a bluetooth connected phone that's in your pocket, but other than that yeah, radio stations.

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 20, 2012

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

dissss posted:

The only way to go is forward from their current models:

Ok, so this is all I see.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
I seem to remember there was a thread for awesome cars that will never be available in your country, but I don't think it really survived while this thread flourished.. so from the hot hatch capital of the world comes the king of hot hatches..

Affenbach has confirmed this beast is heading to European dealers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Sigma X posted:

A bit off-topic, but every time I see the ad for the new Mercedes which features a handsome, young-ish man drifting it across an intersection, I just bust out laughing.

Firstly, that they are saying you can disable all the nanny-aids enough in the Merc to actually drift, and secondly, because the model they're advertising comes with a 200HP-ish turbo-4.

With the ignition in the ON position, press and hold the CALL and OK buttons on the steering wheel. This brings you into the engineering menu. Select Dyno Mode and press OK. This will disable all nanny aids until the engine is turned off.