Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Can I get an explanation on why major manufacturers cover their test models in that fashion? It it because some design elements haven't been patented or something?

e: Best explanation I found on Google is that carmakers want to prevent a new car model from being publicized by one rogue person, and instead engineer the public-facing perception themselves.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I've been checking out a lot about the 2014 C7 Corvette. I think it's a serious contender for me in less than a decade if I have enough cash to buy a used sports car. It looks like tons of fun and a decent daily driver as well. I could keep it up for a few years and then sell it for only a couple thousand less if I play it right.

It's gotten a lot of press in this thread too! People seem to like it, though its styling is polarizing. So much of the design is aerodynamically based though so there is not a ton that can be changed.

That Nissan Sentra Nismo up there ^ looks like a really nice budget sports car. I will definitely be in the market for one of those and I'll be giving it a serious look. Limited slip sounds great, the engine reads great on paper, and those seats look so comfy! Do you think it will have an automated manual for commuting in traffic?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 27, 2013

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

slidebite posted:

We actually have a Legacy with the CVT and I must say I am pleasantly surprised by it. We bought it strictly as an appliance vehicle (I have my bike for fun) but I have to admit, it does what it does pretty well.

The flappy paddles are completely gimmicky but just leaving it in drive works well.

That said, in a sports car instead of an econo sedan? I don't think so. Not unless it's worked over really well.

Quite a few modern sports cars have flappy paddles (either on the wheel or built into the shifter), with an automated manual of some type, not necessarily a CVT. Apparently it helps to game the EPA numbers which avoids a significant gas guzzler tax and is attractive if you use it as a daily driver.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

neckbeard posted:

New Aston Martin DB10 coming out for the new Bond movie that's starting production right away

http://www.astonmartin.com/en/live/news/2014/12/04/built-for-bond-aston-martin-debuts-unique-car-for-spectre

drat that's nice. Will we get to see some rear or quarter shots? That's a digital mockup I assume.

As a sidenote, I think it's cool how we live in a time where we can very naturally assume that a computer was used to make a photorealistic version of a car that doesn't exist yet. :)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

eyebeem posted:

We just had kid number 4.

Isn't this the real issue?

Also, is your wife's commute 80 miles each way or round trip?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
This is a comedy forum. Regardless, I am always fascinated by the decision to have 4+ kids. What's the reason?

Also, sell me that Abarth if you're near Illinois :)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Hyundai has been making good looking cars for a few years.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
How come you guys have no mention of the Fusion Sport MSRP when talking about its practicality? Starting at $33.5k, I feel like you can get a lot of other fun practical things for that kind of money.

I wish performance models competed on price, but lots of them are really expensive. It's all relative depending on your income level, I guess. I know that Fusion MSRP is around the average transactional new car anyway.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pryor on Fire posted:

I get that AI tends to talk about cars because cars are fun but at this point you might as well rename Ford to the F150 company.

F-Series sales increased 11 percent, totaling 72,089 trucks, the truck line’s best November sales since 2001. F-Series retail sales were up 14 percent.

“Strong retail sales increases for both F-150 and our all-new Super Duty pickups drove F-Series above the 70,000 vehicle mark – a November threshold we have not seen in 15 years,” said Mark LaNeve, vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Plus, strong consumer demand for well-equipped Super Dutys helped boost Ford’s overall average transaction prices in November, which are up $1,000 versus a year ago – well ahead of the industry average of $320.”

Focus sales were down 17.2% while Fiesta sales declined a further 26.1%

I hope they don't cut the Fiesta in the U.S.

Ironically it is the #1 selling car in the U.K., I don't know where it sits with truck sales there.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 1, 2016

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Throatwarbler posted:

Next gen Camry is going to take the Prius design language to a new level.

Dat quarter looks real good.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I still think getting a foot of snow is fun. I wish for maximum snow.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Ford Fusion is the poo poo, and the styling IMO is best in class. A lot more families should consider it alongside Camry / Accord whatever.

I'm a big fan of Ford's current corporate design language.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The gaping astonmartin-y gaping maw grows on you fast, ive come to see.

I think euro-lite is the best way to describe the rest of it?

Yeah, they're toning it down kinda in 2017 with black instead of chrome grills. They're still big.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
The name Waymo is terrible.

Here's their sappy but cool intro video, which it seems wasn't widely marketed since released a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHbMt6WDhQ8

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 19, 2016

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

butterbar posted:

The accident rate for self-driving cars in test programs like Google's is actually quite high

Got a source for that bold claim?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pryor on Fire posted:

Couldn't care less about straightforward fender benders, I've seen enough accident scenes to not worry about those.

In terms of safety you may not care, but in terms of cost you should. Cars are expensive, and insurance is expensive. Self-driving has the potential to lower those insurance rates + deductible spending and raise effective incomes (even just a bit) for millions of people.

You do know that ~30,000 people are killed and many more injured each year in the U.S. due to auto accidents right?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Lightning Drivetrain? ^^ gently caress you

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Powershift posted:

Cadillac is bring out a "car as a service" type thing. Basically you pay $1500 a month on a month to month subscription and always have whatever cadillac you want in your driveway, and when you want to switch they come and change it out. They cover insurance/rego/maintinence.

https://www.bookbycadillac.com/#benefits-slide2

That means you can have a manual ATS-V and then punch some stuff into the app and say you want a CTS-V for a while and if you want to go skiing you can call in an escalade. with 18 free swaps a year.

I would imagine most luxury vehicles you lose more than $18k in first year depreciation without factoring in maintinence or insurance.

Very interesting concept. Too expensive for me of course, but as someone interested in the concept of a lease with the huge advantage of being month-to-month, it would be nice. You mentioned the CTS-V. I see in the fine print you can have the CTS-V for a maximum of five days 'per usage,' whatever that means.

I would love to see something like this from other and less expensive manufacturers.

Has an initiation fee, but it's only $500. I wonder if you can do it one month, cancel for a few months, then start up again without re-paying the initiation fee.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 6, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

davebo posted:

drat, I was really hoping I'd like this car but that infotainment panel, blech.

Are you new to the 2017 auto world? Every manufacturer has these tablet-krazy-glued-to-the-dash looking pieces of poo poo, from Kia all the way up to a Maybach. It's what the focus groups wanted, bless their hearts.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Oh I love screens in a car, I just want it integrated with the dash design better than a tablet that looks glued to the dash. I guess it really is hard to do ergonomic design without looking ridiculous or being unsafe.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

dissss posted:

Why would you want a manual in a vehicle like that? I've had the misfortune of driving the current (international) version a bit and I'd far prefer an auto box (maybe it'd be different with a petrol engine but I wouldn't think so)

Everyone here hates autos no matter how much stop-and-go traffic they drive in.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
The SS was great but too expensive. I want a budget performance car that's not a 2-seater like the MX-5. The Fiesta ST is pretty good at $21k MSRP.

I'm weird and want an automated manual option (probably a DCT), but it's not available on the ST.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Powershift posted:

Golf GTI. done, boom, next?

Mhmm very nice. I am just an internet poster though so I will never buy the cars I actually like.

Looks like the MSRP is $26,415. The MSRP of the Ford Fiesta non-ST is $13,660. Yes the Fiesta is a cheap rear end econobox but I want a performance car priced closer to bottom-of-the-barrel, even if it sacrifices some creature comforts. Odd desires I have maybe.

Consumers here like to shop on price, though, so I think cost cutting will be a winning strategy in the long run for entry-level performance models even if it makes other aspects slightly worse. Obviously automakers know this, but I think it's hard to make nice powertrains for dirt cheap, plus these models don't have the luxury of massive economies of scale

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 10, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

BraveUlysses posted:

I really like the SS and don't even think the price is bad, just something I can't swing right now and my e46 is still doing well.

It's not a bad price for the segment it was trying to be in, but a $46k base MSRP is too high for a ton of Americans that would otherwise want a performance sedan.

VVVV That's the nail!

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 11, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

oRenj9 posted:

Ford got truck buyers to pay extra over a V8 for a V6. That suggests to me that a large portion of truck buyers are more pragmatic than the bro-scene suggests and a hybrid that can demonstrate better capability and fuel economy will actually sell.

I have a feeling that only Ford can pull this off though. GM hosed their chances for a hybrid truck a decade ago.

Edit: with this turd

Just wanted to say I recognized this Chevy design here:

https://streamable.com/utk5u

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Digital speedos would also be nice in cities like Chicago where there are speed cameras set up over much of the city that automatically send a ticket in the mail if you are radared going just 5 MPH over the speed limit. :(

I find it totally dangerous in these areas because I am staring/glancing at my speedo needle like a hawk every second when I am near a camera to keep from getting tagged. (I've been tagged before, it is such a frustrating sinking feeling to see that camera flash away your money)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

david_a posted:

For what it's worth, my 2008 GTI gets worse mileage than what the dash says. Sustained interstate driving it might claim 35+ (in the right weather with no AC) but I think the absolute highest I've measured for a tank with predominantly that type of driving is like 33.

Well I mean, that makes sense obviously. The instantaneous MPG while on a flat and level highway is always going to be at least slightly higher than the average on a tank because a flat and level highway is literally the most efficient possible surface for an ICE car except downhill.

In other news my dumbass Fiesta has average MPG available on the trip computer, which can be reset at any time, but no way to view instantaneous MPG.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 20, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Chicago Police Dept is about 100% Explorers these days with some holdovers from the golden era. We have a good amount of old-school paddy wagons too.

Explorers here are both marked and unmarked. The tipoff in my state as in many states is the license plate.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 27, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

0toShifty posted:

I actually wish there were more cars like the Mirage hatchback. Small. Light. Car. Nothing complicated, skinny cheap tires.

My friend, you are looking for a Ford Fiesta. :unsmith:

Real talk though it's great, highly recommend. #1 seller in England. It costs just enough where they don't have to buy absolute bottom of the barrel components and everything is decent quality. The ride quality and driving dynamics are excellent for its price point.

Vroom vroom :unsmith:

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 29, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

drgitlin posted:

If you're ever looking for work writing about cars, hit me up; this was excellent. :D

e: before there was a cringey post asking if I could write about cars for drgitlin. It's not here anymore.

Dr. Gitlin if there's any interest in a contributor-like side position could you drop me a line at michaelscottsa@gmail.com?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 2, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

CornHolio posted:

I just want to say, The new Volvo V90 looks incredible. Especially in these colors.

Wish it wasn't so damned expensive though.

That bezel-less rearview mirror is real neato. I also very much like the center console screen! It's not fuckoff-huge and distracting like Tesla's or the copycats, and it's well-integrated with the dash.

So expensive though.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'll say no, doesn't seem like any of the automakers save any announcements or products of note for the CAS. Feels like being paid to be advertised to. I could be wrong though!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I get ~25MPG in real world with almost 100% city in my 1.6L I4 Ford Fiesta.

Rated 27 City, 36 Hwy, 30 Cbd.

The car was so cheap I would practically speaking never make back the gas savings with a hybrid, even with near 100% city.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 1, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Can they make a V90 for poors? I would buy that in an instant.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Chiming in to say I think the Prius looks terrible, but I don't think Toyota's corporate design language will change any time soon. A drat shame.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Wheeee posted:

the Prius and other modern Toyota designs are in no way "bad".

How does it feel to be so wrong? Are you this wrong about other things in your life?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Sicilian posted:

I used to feel this way until moving here. A lot of people live here and the emissions are terrible at as it is. Even motorcycling through some sections leaves you not feeling good from the fumes.

I left my Porsche in Chicago and got a Tesla for this exact reason. I still enjoy driving it when there, lest you think I'm some electric car truther,

God dammit it's been a year, I told you I will take care of your car at Trump Tower. Just want to keep it running every week or so. :(

serious btw

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Sicilian posted:

Hahaha I was just there during the recent warm spell, went for a tuneup at Loeber and then blasted back on LSD.

Lately I've been out that way significantly more; otherwise I might just take you up on your offer.

Those on-ramps can be real nice. If you ever need any help let me know, michaelscottsa@gmail.com.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What the hell is with those wheels? Terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Meh, it's got the fuckoff huge grill thing going on in the industry. It's alright. It's not daring in any way.