Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Left Ventricle posted:

I guess I was too subtle with the point I was trying to make. There's been something of an arms race as of late with regards to how many ratios you can cram into an autobox. Honda is lagging in that regard.

My bolding of the locking torque converter part still stands though. Why is that something that deserves mention?

Doesn't Honda still use their own version of an auto transmission that's different fom everyone else's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Hydrogen can be produced by electrolysis of water. The wind turbines and tidal generators have excess production during off peak hours, especially nighttime. It's not the most efficient way of generating hydrogen but its pretty clean.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The efficiency of the hydrogen technology is improving while gas prices continue to rise. Hopefully one day the alternative will become cost efficient.

And it's not necessarily the US that will lead the implementation. India and China would benefit from a cleaner transport and have the manufacturing capacity to produce cheaply. Lots of smaller developing countries have minimal gasoline infrastructure, so putting either one is possible. I've seen Tata hydrogen powered trike taxi back in 06, they worked fine.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

It's really not progressing that fast, honestly.

Why are you so convinced hydrogen is a good idea?

I like the symmetry of using it. Start with a source of electricity and some water, make some hydrogen and oxygen. Run the hydrogen through a fuel cell to get back the water. The electric motor car is quiet and clean, can be refuelled quickly. If it could be made modular this whole setup could be put anywhere and be self sufficient.

lt's the utopian future I'd like to live in as opposed to messing around with springs, gyros, batteries or hydrocarbons.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I notice a lot of Lexus wagon models something or other driving around recently. Anybody tried one out or have any idea why they are suddenly so popular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Taco frame rot and Nissan floor rot are the two most common things I fail cars for when I frame check cars at the auction :science:

Actually if you have a list of things to check on various specific cars it'd be quite interesting to hear. You probably got a very good sampling set of all the common faults.