Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I feel Subaru evolved the Legacy into tragicomedy,

So this Hyundai Sonata Turbo is bumped up to the top of my list:

Packs a 2 litre direct injected twinscroll turbo making 274 hp @ 6000rpm, 269 lb-ft @ 1800-4500 rpm while getting an est 22/34 mpg on regular . It looks good, too.

However, it doesn't come with the Suby's all wheel drive, manual x-mission and addictive boxer thrum :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

rscott posted:

the legacy from the midline back in that photo looks strikingly like an ion sedan:

they certainly share the same hilarious wheelwell gap. Fine for the Ion, but it's got no place on the Leggy GT...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Sedans have gotten pretty generic. I think the Legacy is much more Nissan looking:

well played sir, well played

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

blk posted:

I always wondered what IS was supposed to refer to at Lexus. I always imagined something like the following

LS = Luxury Sedan
GS = Grand touring Sedan
ES = Executive Sedan / Entry level Sedan
SC = Sport Coupe
CT = Compact Touring

with LX/GX etc deriving from that, but what the hell does the I stand for in IS? Is it just an attempt to resemble the trailing "i" on popular BMWs?

Intermediate sedan. Seriously.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

how do hill starts with electronic park brake work? I assume they must all have hill start assist?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

PsychicToaster posted:

Finally made it into a new job where I can afford to buy something brand new, and I've been looking at the 2015 Chevrolet Impala. I love what Chevy did to take the car from "boring rental car" status into something a bit closer to premium and more fun to drive. I can't decide between a Chrysler 300 or the new Impala though. Both look nice for the price tag and they're both pretty fun to drive. I feel like you get a bit more car out of the Impala.

The 300 is a design icon.
Walter White's car.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

"Here in my garage... just bought this BMW... fun to drive in the Hollywood hills... "

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Here's a new car I like. No infotainment; you will not be informed, but you will definitely be entertained.

30th Anniversary Landcruiser with vintage body and modern gubbins:

JDM obv.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Dare I ask how much?

34k USD.
You literally can't afford not to buy one.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Senpai will surely notice you riding in a 12 cyl Toyota Century.

The vehicles' interiors are usually ordered in wool cloth, rather than the leather seen in many luxury cars; leather is not as quiet as cloth when sat upon.

White lace curtains are usually installed in the rear window, instead of tinted windows, which are perceived to attract unwarranted attention.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Whiz Palace posted:

If you're riding in a Century, there's probably no pai more sen than yours.

2015 Toyota Century: You are the Senpai.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Last in the series of JDM Toyota we don't get cause we're fat:

GRMN Mark X bathed in spoilers and alcantara.

Toyota promises the Mark X GRMN weighs noticeably less than a 350S thanks to roof panel that is made entirely out of carbon fiber.

The touch screen-based infotainment system has been tossed out in order to save weight.

Power for the Mark X GRMN comes from a stock 350S-sourced 3.5-liter V6 engine that sends 321 horsepower and 280 lb-ft. of torque to the rear wheels via a six-speed manual transmission and a Torsen limited-slip differential

About 45k USD

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Speaking of Lexus, how does their upcoming no-haggle pricing work?

Do they set a price below msrp
or do they just charge msrp and the salesman puts their fingers in their ears when you want to talk price?

I hate haggling, but I really don't understand how no haggle pricing benefits the consumer?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

dissss posted:

Is that solely a materials used thing? To me the design and layout of the Subaru interiors are vastly better than the Mustang.

This is just me, but I've had an 07 legacy and family/friends own pretty much every Subaru model since the early 00s, and they've *all* been seriously lacking in front legroom.

edit- 'cept the current gen Legacy/outback, which has about the same front legroom as my Focus wth.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 14, 2015

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, I loving hate Subaru interiors but front leg room is NOT lacking. In my friends WRX I always feel like I have entirely too much room, and he's 6'5" and doesn't have the seat even close to all the way back.

bull3964 posted:

I have a 36" inseam and I don't even have my seat back the whole way on my WRX.

You guys are weird

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Guys is the 2017 Fusion Sport gonna be the new Legacy GT?
325hp AWD, adaptive suspension.

No MT gearbox but you can't have it all these days...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Yea all the recent articles and forum chatter indicate 380 ft lbs. Seems like overkill?

Anyways, looking forward to it... it's in the top 3 to replace my Focus ST.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Giulia, when you bring journos in on an all expenses paid media junket to Italy and they all write about your shoddy build quality you might have a problem...

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 25, 2016

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Went to go explore and test drive a 2017 Audi A4 S Line today with the intention of replacing my Focus ST.

I love the restrained styling and the interior is just sublime.
Coming from a Ford, the body panel gaps and alignment are hitleriffic.
It's overflowing with impressive tech gimmicks but disappointed that the Google Earth virtual cockpit isn't available in Canada.
I'm 6 4" and it fits like a glove.

Power felt the same by seat of the pants, which is to say plenty quick.

Surprisingly the drive was underwhelming. I prefer driving my Focus by a wide margin.

Even the sport suspension had more body roll and you can definitely feel the weight transfer to and fro in regular driving.
Also the 19" wheels make for occasional brittleness over sharp bumps. It seems the sport suspension and 19" wheels don't play well together, I dunno.
I gotta say the Focus ST has a better suspension and steering (for me).

I thought I wanted a semi sport luxo cruiser, but I guess I'm addicted to the frenetic drive of the ST.

A bit relieved, really. I'll just keep the Focus and save a bunch of money.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

drgitlin posted:

No Virtual Cockpit in Canada? That's one of the best things about the car! I wouldn't buy one without it, you made the right choice. And yes, it's not fast enough as a 2L and it needs a bit more rear-bias.

The Virtual Cockpit is available, but no Google Earth nav view because Canada doesn't have a cross county wireless network like every other country in the world.

Yea the Google Earth view is a unique selling point so i am disappiont.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

What's the general feeling/verdict on the Ford Fusion Sport?

Looks like they're just hitting the lots now...
Some youtube dealership ads with live video of the car are available. I like the alcantara (microfibre?) seat surfaces.

Looks better in darker colors as the new grille looks dorky as heck.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

oRenj9 posted:

The WRX. It will kid, wife, and hoon just fine. Plus it's not an overweight pig like the Fusion Sport will be.

too small.

a bit pudgy is fine as long as there's some lebensraum.
380 ftlbs also helps.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Alright which goon is this?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Just traded my Focus ST for a 2018 S4.

Really liked the ST. It was a rattletrap but what a joy to drive. It did what it said on the tin and never left me stranded.

As soon as i got my S4 home from the dealer, the 360 degree camera system failed. Blank screen. Less than 60 miles on the odo.
Welp I guess I'm going to experience German Reliability Myth firsthand...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Congrats on your new car, Audi friend. Can you share a pic or two of your brand new S4?

So the camera's working fine today :shrug:

I was hoping for silver or white to calm my detailing OCD, but I suppose Audis are supposed to be panzer grey.

You're absolutely right. After Fords for 20 years, the panel gaps, fit and finish on this thing is amazing. TBH the selling point for me was the continuity of the hood line all around the body.

I'm in Canada so the packages are different but yea, the B&O stereo is extra.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 17, 2017

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I love Audi design, but the new A8 design is a lame-o.

The interior is a literal sea of shiny black plastic.

The grille looks better on the 2017 Elantra and the tailights are right off the Continental. In fact the Continental looks more stately than this.

If I were a Chinese Communist Party cadre I'd rather be seen in a Continental.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

The front end of the new Accord is hideous. It has been for a couple years but they made it even worse with a larger chrome strip. What the hell is wrong with people?

The sedan segment is dying, right?

To be fair it'll probably look better in a different color.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

This is awesome. Audi commerical in China equates buying their cars with practising eugenics.

Like, literal master race eugenics; the mother inspects the fiancé's nose, ears teeth and titties before giving the OK.
Cut to A3 hatchback.

[url] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40652112[/url]

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Fwiw, i've had a B9 S4 since May and the interior's already turned into a rattle box.
Headliner, dash, doors. Headliner especially.

Even worse it's all intermittent so I'm not bothering to take it to the dealer.

Never again.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

I want more info on this.

Dealers are well acquainted with solving rattles so it's pretty silly to not take it in. They will investigate even if they're not able to reproduce.

Oh, the first post with my new Av. thanks

B9 S4, bought (well, leased) it right off the boat.

On the door panels, there's 5 trim pieces that squeak and pop against each other. When you press anywhere here, you can duplicate the sounds.
I don't think it's expansion/contraction of the plastics as it's not dependent on temperature.

This is the worst offender:

The headliner area right by my ear randomly make a shuffling, "potato chip bag" tick noise over random bumps. No rhyme or reason to it.
The intensity/frequency of the bump doesn't matter. Sometimes a mild bump will set it off, sometimes huge jolts do nothing and vice vesra.
I've been pressing all around here while driving to try and quell it but no luck.

There's an old fashion rattle coming from the b pillar trim. Hard to reproduce consistently.

The passenger's seatbelt buckle rattles and bangs against the plastic trim of the bucket seat. I have no idea how this got past QC. A common complaint without a fix, apparently.
Buckling the passenger seatbelt would solve this, but it's still pants on head retarded.

More squeaking from the hard plastic speaker grilles against the soft plastic dash

I reamed the car for rattles on the JD Power survey.
I'll mention all this to the dealer when I take it in for the first service, but I'm not expecting much.

If Genesis is over-engineering their cars like Lexus did in the 90s in hopes of making a name for themselves, I'm more than ready for a G70 in 3 years.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

david_a posted:

I sat in a C-series a few days ago and it seemed to have much more room for the driver. I had to tilt my head a bit in the A4 I sat in but the C-series had very generous head and legroom (I'm very tall so your mileage may vary - the smallest Audi car I seem to fit in is the A6).

I must live in the Bizzaro universe because I found my hair brushed the ceiling and the dash design made the C series feel too cosy. Made me feel like invading Poland.

A4 was comparatively cavernous. We're talking real lebensraum in the Audi.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

None of them, sadly?
The IS looks like heck and is still using their old 6 speed auto.

The S5 SB is numb and devoid of emotion (i got a B9 S4 and can't wait for the lease to expire).

Haven't seen a Stinger yet. Jag not on the radar at all.

The Gulia Ti is interesting but they currently don't lease well in Canada.

Definitely interested in the Genesis G70. I'm hoping it can split the difference between all the rivals.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Does the US have The Genesis Experience?

You never need to step foot into a dealer. They'll come to your place for test drives, delivery and maintenance.

This makes my wife moist and we will likely get a G70 in 2 years provided it isn't an literal piece of poo poo on the test drive.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

A3th3r posted:

I would love for the new Toyota Supra to rock my socks off but that front end styling is absolutely hideous. Way too busy. There's too much going on in it. They need to clean it up some & give it a little bit of a more iconic profile. Heck, they could have re-sold the original '93 Supra & I probably would have bought it, as that thing looked excellent.

You could replace the words "Toyota Supra" with literally any car model and the statement is still true.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Excellent, just excellent.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

dissss posted:

Thing is your 15 year old Lexus probably looks better than anything they produce these days too.

Particularly new Lexuses

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Guys there's 2019 Focus spyshots sans camo all over the internet.

2014 Focus ST was the most fun I've had in a car.
My 2018 Audi S4 is Steven Wright on wheels in comparison.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

7/10 would not lease again.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Went to the Vancouver auto show specifically to check out the headroom in the Genesis G70.

First impression, tidy dimensions in and out. A little tight on headroom (I'm 6'4.), less than an A4 or 3 series, about the same as a Lexus IS.

Interior overall impression was nice, better than Acura/Infiniti on par with 3 series i guess. Switch gear felt a little cheap.

Best paint of the show was Mazda's Soul Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

So does anyone make a Lexus NX or Volvo XC60 that's not badged as a Lexus or Volvo? Eh. If it makes yu feel better probably >50% of normal people don't even think of those as luxury brands anyway.

I guess a lot of people think the Jeep Cherokee has the nicest interior of the non-lux marques. But then you would have to drive a Jeep Cherokee.

Don't laugh, Lincoln MKC.