Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The complete lack of attempt at integrating the tablets into the interior surfaces is one of the worst things in new cars. I sort of accept that these screens all over the car are inevitably the future of interiors but what happened to all the sleek digital cockpits from concept cars? That center console is actually not too bad compared to all the ones that are just stuck on the dash and don't retract.

edit: example from the new Miata since I've been looking at them recently

Why is that screen there? Why isn't the center just redesigned to incorporate it? I guess it's to keep the lines of the dash going across the whole car for aesthetics but I can't believe so many car designers are just shrugging and sticking a tablet on top. At least some of them go down, but I know some cars only will when the car is off.

Ror fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

The actual most annoying thing when looking at new Miatas seems to be that it's surprisingly hard to find the regular roadsters since the RF version came out. The RF has a neat look but I decided the normal one is still the best choice and it turns out that most dealers only have about 1 non-RF for every half dozen RFs they have, if they have any non-RF at all.

I would love if new cars came in colors too. A NOT RED color. I bring that up because you have to get an RF if you want the slightest hint of a color, but it's every manufacturer that offers 5 terrible monochrome colors now. Or maybe you can pay an extra grand for some garish racing color. Let me drive a dark green car you cowards.

Ror fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 13, 2020

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Add the G70 to the stack of cars with incredibly frustrating transmission/drivetrain options that makes it effectively automatic only. You can have the 4-cylinder RWD base model in manual, but that's it. Big engine or AWD is always auto.

The Mazda3 is another other one that drives me crazy. You can get it in manual, but only on the hatchback body. OK, I can deal with that. But it also comes in FWD or AWD, but you can only have the manual with FWD (and, bizarrely, only on the top trim level).

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm just glad that Lincoln has finally gotten back to model names. No more MK* bullshit.

This is why I have no idea what the current Infiniti line-up is. Everything is just a Q.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’m Utah failure to have a front plate isn’t a primary offense, so you can’t be pulled over for just that.

They’re trying to change that, apparently.

I would probably risk driving without a front plate if only cops could ticket you for it, but here in Oregon parking enforcement is allowed to as well so you're pretty much hosed if you do any street parking.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I'm in the market for a car right now and I think the M240i pushed its way pretty far up my list just by being available with a 6-speed. Accepting an automatic would make my search so much easier but I don't think I'm ready to give it up. It just sucks that not only can you only get a manual on like a dozen different cars total, but the majority of those models or configurations have some other lovely dealbreaker.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Vauxhall perfected digital dashes in the 80s.

Wait, no, I meant Lancia...

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I really wish I could understand the reasoning behind the maze of options that every car has these days, especially which ones are arbitrary marketing choices and which ones are actually based on practical considerations or factory setups or whatever. I'm sure I underestimate the lengths these factories go to streamline production and increase volume/efficiency, but I still find it kind of absurd that you can custom order a $50,000 machine but not be able to put on a certain package or get it in a color that other cars from the same factory are getting.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

prom candy posted:

it rules that you can't have pop up headlights but you can have a truck so big you can't even see children crossing in front of it.

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Gangringo posted:

30-70 is the all important two lane road passing confidence metric. I don't need my car to be fast, I just need to know that at any reasonable speed I can drop a gear and pass a truck with a camper on a dotted yellow line without it taking too long.

This is why I want a fairly powerful car, not to race stoplight to stoplight, but for the comfort that knowing I can get out of situations that need a dab of speed easily.

I always remember Clarkson's review of one of the AMG 65 Mercs that had like 700+ lbs/ft of torque. The whole thing was mostly "lol this might be excessive" but it was the sheer overtaking ability that really sold him on it. He'd be cruising along a two-lane road at 40 and then pass three cars in front of him in as many seconds.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

They VW wagons are also dead, you can only get remaining 2019s. So is the manual Clubman (I also find the modern Mini interior layout baffling/appalling).

The more I researched Volvos the more appealing I found them, but they really are expensive. The V60 only comes in AWD in the Cross Country trim and all the V60s are the 250hp T5 engines, which makes the AWD T6 S60 look pretty appealing at a similar price to the higher trim V60s (but it's not a wagon). The V90 is the true successor to the old giant Volvo wagons but it's basically $60k to get one of the AWD ones.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I dig the Subaru Levorg, which is basically the new Legacy wagon, but we don't get it in the U.S. And even if we did, it would probably only come in CVT.

Actually I just looked it up and apparently the new 2020+ ones don't have the WRX engine available even in Japan, only the smaller 170hp one they put in everything.

I adored my Subaru so much and I was almost positive that I would buy another while I was driving it but I really don't think that's going to be happening with a new model any more.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Cars should all have a low sporty mode and a tall utility mode that they can swap between like the Gadgetmobile. It's frankly baffling that the auto industry picked the CUV format over R&D into that.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Real jealous of the sweet green cars.

I'm getting my new car in a metallic grey-ish color but I'm thinking about immediately getting it wrapped. Unfortunately it turns out that the two most popular vinyl companies, 3M and Avery, also have pretty lovely green selections. You can get get a bunch of brighter greens but nothing nice and dark like the previous cars.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

The other great thing about only renting trucks when you need to do truck things is you basically don't have to give a poo poo about them. Actual Truck poo poo can be incredibly abusive to a vehicle, that's why people who do it usually have an old beat-to-gently caress truck of some sort. Oh, another ding in the side, a scratch or two, a bunch of mud on the inside, who gives a gently caress? If you have a $70,000 brand new lifted quad cab cock extension, you can't treat it like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1FGTGarmlQ

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

One of the few new cars I am genuinely interested in although that thing is gonna be like $45k.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Well now I gotta know what Marie Kondo drives.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

dk2m posted:

I just can’t believe they’re producing an affordable, light, driver focused 2 seater with a manual in the midst of...all this. I’ve never driven a BRZ but definitely gonna check this one out when it’s available.

I assume that if the car if this far along then it's been pretty much locked in since the pandemic started. The twins have been relatively successful sports cars as well compared to a lot of cars introduced in the past decade.

I'm curious as to where Mazda is in regards to the next Miata though since their design cycle is off by a few years. People expected to see one in 22 or 23 but maybe the current situation will have the effect of stretching out the ND's lifespan.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

You’re supposed to wear driving gloves with wood steering wheels but the classless youths seems to have forgotten that these days.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

bull3964 posted:

The BRZ has an electric rack and its feedback and feel is incredible.

Just like throttle by wire, there's nothing wrong with the tech, just how the carmaker implemented it based on how they think their customers want it.

Same with the ND Miata, people balked when they changed from hydraulic steering but it turns out it's still just as great as it used to be. Most of the reasons to poo poo on new cars are a result of top-down design decisions made by executives. If you're actually looking to make a great driving car the technology and possibilities are greater than ever, except for some emissions regulations I guess. But there's a lot of tech to get around that too.

Slightly related, I also always think that you could probably make a car with pop-up headlights that would conform to modern safety standard but it's just not worth the effort and there's no real demand for it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Wanna stand on that rear diffuser and hold onto the spoiler like I'm riding a grocery cart.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I understand the discussion is more about choosing to use the manual controls when you have automatic, but there are still lots of new cars sold without climate control and some people get pretty used to that system.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I was pretty much sold on it last year and just waiting for the 21 update but the extra price and yeah, no heated seats, was just enough to turn me off and keep looking.

That warranty is loving sweet though, every other manufacturer is disappointing after seeing what you get with Hyundai.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I was really into the current Mustang when I was car shopping but I kept making it way too expensive with all of the packages and options available. It seemed a lot cheaper before I was building it but you need like $40-45k to get a GT with decent options.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not actually sure if I've ever seen a GT86 in real life. I think I've seen a Scion or two, but not in a while. I'm in the Pacific Northwest so it's Subaru country anyway but I see BRZs everywhere and only BRZs.

edit: speaking of seeing stuff IRL, I meant to post that I passed my first new 3-series recently and... woof, you really want that front plate. I know the topic's been beaten to death but it really does stand out in a bad way.

Ror fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 26, 2021

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

lol I was trying to calculate how much $$ he had in cars and totally missed this part

smooth jazz posted:

Yes he bought multiple condos just for the parking spaces.

jesus christ

Cool cars though. I'd expect the Merc to be the daily driver. What kind of 993 is that?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

got off on a technicality posted:

Veloster N? I guess that's warm not hot

I'd call the N a hot hatch for sure, but it's FWD only and the most spartan and cramped of the bunch.

If your definition of hot hatch includes manual and you actually care about it being a usable hatch and you really want AWD, then the Golf R and Focus RS are really your only choices for a car made in the last few years. Like bull said, you probably can't actually find an R new anymore. I forget when the TT axed the manual but it's been a few years now.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Looks good for a sporty crossover. I'm a manual diehard but in this segment especially I understand not offering one. A lot of cars in that segment offer AWD though, this is basically just the DCT Veloster with a much roomier body.

Like the Veloster N though, I think price is a real make-or-break for it. I came pretty close to buying a Veloster N but it was a lot more appealing when it could be had for under $30k.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Guinness posted:

Having to add like $10k+ in options of any entry-level German car to get the same electronic doodads like ACC that comes on every mainstream car definitely put me off buying one this last round. And ACC is pretty much a requirement on any new non-niche car in the year 2021 IMO.

All the "luxury" tech has been commoditized and is standard on pretty much everything these days. It's so dumb that your average Kia is better equipped than your average Audi. And some of the mainstream brands have better tech than some luxury options even when equipped.

I was considering buying a used Euro sports sedan and ACC with all the bells and whistles was one of my non-negotiable requirements for them. It was insane to me how rare it was. Like go on the Mercedes pre-owned site and look at C-Class AMGs and literally over 90% of them don't have a Distronic system. It was the exact same looking at Audis and BMWs. You have to make sure that you know all of the options for whatever car because there's probably a lot of stuff that wasn't optioned and some of it is luxury fluff and some is super important. And it's a huge pain in the rear end because they seem to change what the packages are every year and so many used car sellers don't list them properly.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

ranbo das posted:

We're talking about the Mustang Mach E which is the 4 door SUV though :confused:

Real dumb naming, Ford brought this upon themselves

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Alternative fabric chat; the 911 Targa Heritage Edition offers CORDUROY SEATS

This is a cool concept but what's the point of using corduroy as a material if it's not gonna make the voop-voop sound

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

It comes with heritage Porsche branded corduroy driving pants.

Midjack posted:

It's so you can strike a match on your seats to light up your cigar Porsche branded pipe while you're standing around at cars and coffee.

of course

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Can't wait to jailbreak my car to get the options for free, sometimes the entire car will lock up and have to reboot but whatever

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I've seen a couple new M3s in the wild now and they sound incredible and from every other angle they look great. I still haven't gotten over the front end but it's slightly diminished from complete revulsion to just strong disappointment that they ruined the kidneys. It looks good with the Euro plate but somehow the US front plate almost makes it worse.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos posted:

The way they are using compromised isn't valid. A competent off road vehicle isn't compromised because it doesn't comfortably chew up highway miles like a Grand Touring Car. Using that definition every car everywhere is compromised in that sense and the word has no actual meaning. Are Lamborghini's compromised because you can't take them up el capitan?

Compromised in context would be 'yeah it's great at X off road thing but to do that they had to give up on Y off road thing". But that's not the sort of thing they are trying to say at all.

Since what the article actually says is that it's better on the road then it's closest off road competitor, jeep wranglers, it is by that measure less compromised, if anything.

Yeah, by that measure pretty much all cars are compromised, aka designed differently.

One of the things I said I loved about my Miata after I got it was how uncompromising it was, how so much of it is focused only on driving and nothing else. But of course you can look at a Caterham or something and say that the Miata makes compromises all over the place for comfort, safety, electronics, whatever. All consumer vehicles do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

The ideal vehicle for a family with kids is the conversion van.