Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fucknag posted:

Isn't the LS7 also pretty close to tapped out? I know it's supposedly inadvisable to use power adders due to the large bore/thin cylinder walls.

The LSX is only 1.5mm extra bore over the LS7 and one would assume that they took the III/IV to its absolute safe maximum on everything with that thing, so I'd say that's a safe assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

was way cooler than the wagon.

Aside from the stupid looking front clip (compared to the Charger) the Magnum was wicked loving cool. The original Magnum was a fairly generic '70s long-hood coupe, and pretty ugly.
Also when someone says "Dodge Magnum" and isn't talking about a wagon, the first thing I think of is the '90s 318/360.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Phone posted:

Yeah, THE TRANSIT CONNECT.

Jesus christ.

What, you mean that thing that costs ~5k more than the base F150, and will never ever see incentives at a dealer unless you're buying a whole fleet of them?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

How am i supposed to run 12s in a cargo van with 3.73s :argh:

By getting an old RHD Grumman from Canada Post and swapping the Duke out for an LQ4.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hey what's the difference between GM and the USSR?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Just like a smartphone or every other consumer good

Tell that to Viggen :p
My last phone was made entirely of replacement parts, except the main PCB. Everything was readily available even though it wasn't a very popular model (Motorola MB525). I put a set of bearings in my blender last month and I've had my stereo apart so many times I put thumbscrews in the cover.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 27, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

In other "sport truck" news, chevy has new "sport trucks"

22" wheels, carbon fiber stickers and a 285hp v6. Sporty!

I think GM has given up on the "actual sporty truck" concept simply because the aftermarket is so strong for their products that any customer in their right mind is just going to go that route anyway.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

Come again?

Full-size trucks are exempt from the "GM and everything about them and everyone who buys their vehicles is awful" thing. For the most part.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hog Obituary posted:

So Alfa have put out this sorta weird cheesy ad for the 4C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkmfVsWunJ0

And then when it breaks you realize, it's not you doing the loving.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Meet the new NSX

http://www.acura.com/FutureVehiclesNSX.aspx

twin turbo V6, 2 electric motors.

Heh, GTA5 was creepily prophetic on this thing considering there wasn't so much as a whisper about the real car when they were developing the game AFAIK.
http://gta.wikia.com/File:Jester-GTAV-frontquarter.jpg
Even the specs are pretty similar (except the Jester has AWD)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

SouthLAnd posted:

Am I alone in thinking the 350Z is a dead sexy car but the 370Z is kind of fugly?

I'd take a G35 coupe over either as far as styling goes, but the 350 was significantly less ugly than the 370.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hell it's not even a Qnfiniti and it's clearly positioned to compete with most of the Lexus lineup for the title of the ugliest car of the decade

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Whats a pram?

Stroller.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I don't mind the styling of the CRZ. Not quite my cup of tea but it's a decent looking car. I also think it'd have looked almost exactly the same had they designed it around an ordinary K24/6spd powertrain.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

It might be. I see a lot of ads for guys with the platinum/titanium poo poo on the F350s wanting to swap tailgates with base model trucks, and those are fuckin understated compared to the dodge thing

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-parts/fort-mcmurray/super-duty-tailgate-ruby-red/1048865098?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

To be fair, it's not like Ford covering a tailgate in aluminum is a new thing.

I wanted to put a plain tailgate on my Lariat bricknose but I couldn't find one in the same color so I just pulled the insert and ignored the holes.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Kerrow posted:

Skoda is basically the "Smart buy/value" brand. It doesn't get the newest technologies/top of the line engines(this one wont be available with the 3.6L petrol you can get in passat). But Skoda has been getting great reviews last couple of years, often better than the VW counterparts and it's biting off the VW's own market share.

The design can be a bit of hit/miss, but ever since the whole lineup has been facelifted to the new unified design there is a lot less "good god, that poo poo is ugly" moments.

It's basically what I imagine Mazda/Kia is in the NA market, some great cars at better value than the "premium" VW/Audi, except actually being made out of the same parts as them :v:

The last US market Kia made out of Mazda parts was the 04 Rio :v:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of F-series. Why are there differences between the XLT and the Lariat beyond leather? They should have all the same options available, with just leather being the difference.
(I want a bunch of lariat only options but don't necessarily want to pay for leather)

Lariat has a lot more gizmos (MFT, pushbutton/keyless start, and a bucket of other stuff that's unavailable or something you pay out the rear end for on an XLT) and isn't available in a regcab or with the NA v6.

Honestly the handling on these is insane for a truck. I've said it before, if you threw a Torsen in the back, gave it a good set of shocks, a little more rear sway bar and a slight drop you'd have something that handles just about as well as is possible with a live axle.
Also I'm convinced that the reason you can't get a RC/6.5' box with the big EB is because either a 2g Tremor is in the works or they don't want internal competition with the Mustang.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrChips posted:

Welp, I guess that means I'm going to start stealing tailgates for a living now :v:

Power locking tailgates are standard on these trucks long before you hit a model/package level where the camera is an option, for that exact reason.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

I like it, except for those wheels and the chrome'd out interior, it looks pretty good, has that same understated luxury look that the oldschool 60's Lincolns had. I'm sure it'll end up being a rebadged Tarus when it comes out, if it even gets built, but It looks pretty nice. Needs suicide doors on the rear though.

Absolutely needs suicide rear doors. I dig it too, especially compared to their current stuff with those damned hideous grilles.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Sigma X posted:

And just bare performance numbers of a 125HP car means it's not going to be drivable on any highways, at least not near where I live.

I've owned a vehicle with 28 lb/hp, 3 speed slushbox and 2.88 final drive (good ol' malaise-era iron) and never had any problem merging into 75mph traffic with fairly short onramps. We're in a golden age of horsepower so the proposed numbers out of that Honda are less than spectacular but to call it undriveable is a bit of a stretch.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

razorscooter posted:

Besides, if you need more power out of a super cheap mid-engined car that bad, it's a Honda. Someone's going to make tunes for it, and like all Hondas someone is going to make the mounts for a K-series or something.

This exactly. gently caress I can get a K-series swap kit for my Pontiac Vibe, if the engine will physically fit this car somebody will do it.
It looks fantastic and would be a blast to drive even with the kei-spec plant. If/when they drop here and assuming I can fit into it (read: I won't :smith:. I can't fit into an s2k and this looks like a smaller cabin) I would absolutely buy one.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I thought we were on like the 5th new at this point? This one is old old old GM but with wayfarers.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Having driven both I'd rather own a Cayenne than a 911. There I said it.
But my impressions of these vehicles are based on a couple base model early-'00s 911s, versus a 1st gen Cayenne Turbo S. I'm sure a regular Cayenne is pretty poo poo. And the SRT8 Cherokee is a much better speedy SUV than the Porsche for a lot less money.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

How would it be functionally any different from the mustang?

In the same way the Chunderbird was different from the Foxtang. Same platform, bigger, couchier, classier and roomier.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Friar Zucchini posted:

might as well just draw some circles on the brake rotors.

What, you mean like this?

It doesn't show well at that angle/distance but those little steps in the spokes correspond to the rotor's diameter :3: it's pretty obvious from <10 feet away but parking is poo poo where I live so that's the best I could do without driving somewhere for the sake of a lovely post on the internet.
What I'm trying to say is, '90s wheels best wheels.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Aren't all of these features in modern gas engines though? My brother in law's F150 has direct injection (so extremely high pressure injection), two turbos, and auto start / stop.

Diesels these days need cooled EGR (and nobody's figured out how to make an EGR cooler last more than 100k miles max), a DPF (big fuckoff ceramic soot filter that requires 'regeneration'- a massive dose of unburned fuel to burn the soot out, and then it clogs up with the resulting ash after 60k miles anyway, and they're hideously expensive) and SCR (kind of like a traditional car-type catalytic convertor for NOx reduction, except that it's usually about 10x the price and needs to be constantly fed an atomized urea/water solution to work, oh also this stuff freezes and if you put it in the fuel tank by accident it's either a days-long flushing procedure or a pile of $500 injectors that go in the trash) and if you run out of it the engine isn't allowed to run.
And let's not forget that diesels have fuel filters with the same service interval as the oil (or less if you're using synthetic oil), oil filters that cost at least twice as much as a gasser's, usually double the oil capacity (and the oil itself is getting pricey because you need a poo poo ton of boron to replace the sulfur that wrecks all that emissions gear without losing the extra EP protection a diesel engine needs).
According to Slavvy the Europeans and Hyundai/Kia (IIRC) have figured out how to make this stuff reliable but nobody on this continent has.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 30, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

BloodBag posted:

That thing is hideous, but at least you don't have to look at it from that comfy looking interior. I wish I could afford an older IS250/350 to be cosseted in back and forth from work. Sweating half to death in a manual miata in houston traffic is getting really old. And that's after recharging the weak rear end AC.

I highly recommend beater SC400s. 17mpg and expensive parts but everything else is great.
And new Lexi do look better in person but it's more the difference between a fresh steaming turd and a turd that's dried up and doesn't smell anymore. Source: My dog ninja-poo poo in the spare bedroom a couple months ago and I just found it the other day.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Christobevii3 posted:

Is that a ford flex with camry lines?

I saw it on my phone first and thought it was a Highlander with a Lexus grille, until I realized the scale of it and remembered the Highlander is on its third generation and no longer looks anything like that.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

What worries me is that dealers aren't offering single cabs in my area unless special ordered, and I keep hearing rumors the single cab will soon be discontinued.

Single cab hasn't been available in Canada for ten years, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

A lowered Journey looks almost like the next-gen Magnum we never got.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

KakerMix posted:

The Maserati definitely sounds way the hell better that the Infiniti though so

Yeah I thought the idea behind modern Maseratis was you're buying an engine and an exhaust system and whatever sheet metal happens to come with it is just the icing on the cake.
That is indeed how the one Quattroporte owner I've met felt about it. It was his winter beater.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

blk posted:

Let's see:

• Terrible, bloated styling
  • Mediocre electric steering
  • Loaded with gimmicky gadgets
  • Coveted by posers and the nouveau riche

Nope, I think they've pulled it off.

Nissan cooling systems seem to hold together for quite some time though.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Wheeee posted:

See: The god drat Cavalier.

You sure aren't talking about any Cavalier with the pushrod 2.2. If you can make one of those last 100k miles you're both meticulous with maintenance and in need of surgery to remove the horseshoe from your rear end. Most of the other engines with the misfortune of winding up in one of those cars were not entirely awful, but the LN2 was so disposable it's not even worth doing oil changes.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 9, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The SD has been ugly since they turfed the VT365/6.ohno. And since GM set the precedent of making a new bricknose era you know they'd make something equally square and twice as ugly as theirs.
e: but the cab looks good, and we know it will see at least 8 facelifts over the next 20 years before the next full redesign, so there's a good chance it'll look half decent at some point in the future.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 24, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

A lot of engines have the timing drive in the back. The Audi V8 keeps getting brought up because the timing assembly is hideously overcomplicated, inherently failure-prone AND on the back.
I fix DD15s, their timing gears are in the back, but because they didn't reinvent the wheel any further than that the only functional difference maintenance-wise is it's a bit of a bitch to get at the compressor. Which is the case on more front-geared engines than not anyway.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I don't think Mazda's said anything about rotaries with this concept, it's more that every time Mazda teases a new design the magazines assume it's going to be a rotary. Like, if they announced they were entering into the agricultural equipment market C&D would be speculating about rotary tractors.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Memory seats (of the sort that slide back to let you out) got interesting sometimes when I was doing passenger tires for a living. Wasn't uncommon to find myself frantically searching for the switches while my knees were slowly being crammed into the dash. Some of them actually have a fair bit of torque to them.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

*car forum Automotive Insanity wanks about reliability issues supposedly inherent to turbocharging*

*trucking industry continues to run turbos alongside fairly complicated and precise engine management systems, but still gets roughly a million km per engine rebuild, and slowly increasing*

Hell, the oil change interval in my fleet is 150,000 km.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

:stare:

How much oil do those things run in a change, though? Goddamn.

10 gallons, Mobil 1LE Synthetic 5W30(yeah the days when everything took 15W40 are done), and we do UOA every 25k when it's in for a grease job. We trade in at ~500k, so each of those trucks gets 3 oil changes total (sometimes 4, if a driver won't let go of his old bucket or when the exchange rate makes new trucks stupid expensive).
We run regular oil in a few units too, on a 75k interval with no sampling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I assume you're running DD power based on the av - what's the configuration?

Av was long before I started this job (I just think Green Leakers are cool and wanted to make a bad photoshop of the old Stupid Newbie tag) but we are a 100% Cascadia/DD fleet except the O/O's, who are mostly cowboys running old PACCAR junk but there's one Volvo, one Star and one Shitspreader. Mix of DD15s and DD16s (the latter of which is my new favorite engine despite being little more than a slightly tweaked 15)- not sure what hp rating we're buying but it's gotta be up there given the fact that we pull some pretty serious poo poo but we're only running 13 speeds.

Wheeee posted:

And those trucks don't cost $20k.

And you can't pull 140 tons at highway speed with a Dart, Juke or Fiesta? They're still built down to a price point like any other vehicle, all the components are made of the same stuff.

e: V V Oil filter gets changed on the grease/UOA interval, fuel filter goes the whole 150k, and we're taking all the coolant filters out because DD put out a TSB saying that aside from the first run when they collect up all the built-in contamination from the factory (bits of metal, pipe dope, casting sand etc.) they don't actually have any measurable effect on the longevity of the engine. They're a $12 filter from our supplier but we run a tight budget and within the next 3 months the money we save there will put us over the edge on the 'we need a second jack' fund :toot:

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 21, 2015