Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
There's a rumor that Audi will be bringing the A6 and RS6 Avant to the US.

I have no idea how legit that is, but I'd be real drat happy if we got the Avant, even if I am nowhere near Audi money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/hot-mazda-3-cards-take-vw-golf-gti

Mazda should be targeting the WRX, Golf R, and Veloster N imo.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

BloodBag posted:

So then what should everyone in america be driving, in your opinion?

I have a feeling it's mass transit

If we're going full fantasyland, then 300 HP minimum RWD sport coupes on meticulously maintained roads with the speed limit raised by 20 mph across the board.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

EnergizerFellow posted:

I agree that Savagegeese, Alex on Autos, The Straight Pipes, and Consumer Reports' paywalled content are arguably the best automotive reviews out there. Autogefühl and CNET's Roadshow are solid when Thomas or Brian Cooley are hosting, respectively.

I guess I could see how people don't like Savagegeese's style, but from a technical perspective it's arguably some of the best out there. If anything, he should double-down on the technical side of his reviews, which appears to be happening with things like the corner weight scales, more chassis detail, and now doing things like frequency response charts of the audio systems.

His technical knowledge is pretty legit, and his production values are high, but I still don't like him at all. I find his attitude incredibly off-putting, and always seems like he's one bad day away from snapping and going off on a slur-filled tirade. Plus, his videos that aren't about reviewing a specific car are terrible. Like the video about auto loan debt he spends half the video bitching about regulations and his property taxes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Dealerships around here (Charlotte NC area) do not bargain on Gladiators; you pay what they ask or the guy behind you will.

Not being a Jeep guy, I don't get the Gladiator.

What's not to get? America loves Jeeps and loves trucks even more. So of course a Jeep Truck would sell like hotcakes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Wheeee posted:

BMWs problem is that their whole niche was being the sporty driver's car in the segment, and as that has waned the only reason to buy one is the brand since their interiors and reliability sure as poo poo aren't on Audi or Mercedes' levels. BMW knows this as well, which is why their marketing leans so heavily on BMW as a complete lifestyle brand. Their dealerships are full of BMW branded apparel and poo poo.

So they're Harley-Davidson for yuppies?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

bull3964 posted:

But automatic climate control already does that by itself.

My car either blasts max heat or max A/C forever if I turn on the automatic climate control.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Mental Hospitality posted:

The 2020 Ford Escape configurator is online. A loaded Titanium trim is $40,000.

I still think it's kind of...ugly.

That's an early 360-era 3D model if I ever saw one.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's images of the 'new' Lamborghini Sian on the designer's instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mitjaborkert/

Lamborghini ~>_<~

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

CornHolio posted:

It looks like a mild redesign of the Aventador, honestly, which probably says more about how cool the Aventador looks than anything else.

I like it, though.

Apparently, it's a limited production model (only 67 units) built off the Aventador platform, so that's probably why.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

opengl128 posted:

Porsche are calling their electric car a turbo? What? https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/04/2020-porsche-taycan-turbo-official-reveal-photos-specs/?icid=autoblog|trend|the-2020-porsche-taycan-turbo-and-turbo-s-are-here-—-and-they%27re-juiced

There's a fake boost gauge that comes wrapped in 5 different kinds of leather, and the speakers play a whooshing noise.

$5,000 option.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Keyser_Soze posted:

You ever notice a stoplights when you are driving your manual that when the light turns green everyone behind you drops the hammer on their automatic car like they are at the NHRA Winternationals and tries to ram you off the road and is super annoyed that you revved slightly, engaged the gear and pulled away at normal speed?

Manuals are almost a hazard now for daily driving, unless you are super aggressive off the line all the time. This is also probably why I wore out the differential bushing on my BMW 535 manual in under 35k miles. :newlol:

I'm in Northern California.

Lemme guess, most of them drive BMW or Mercedes SUVs?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

What people in this thread are forgetting is that "sports car" is used interchangeably with "any performance car. Most people don't give a poo poo if it's not a RWD coupe focused on driving dynamics. That's why "cheap sports car" runs a gamut from Miatas, to GTIs, to Ecoboost Mustangs. And why people get pissed that the 86 twins are slow, because "sports cars" supposed to have lots of horsepower.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

skipdogg posted:

Calling bullshit on this one. Genesis G70 has a stick available. Starts under 40K. Less than 4% take rate. Less than 5% of people get the stick in a Tacoma. Chevy can't even find someone to build them a manual transmission for the C8, not enough people would buy it to make it worth building. You can get a Corolla hatch with a stick. Honda offers multiple cars with a stick as well. Civic LX, Accord Sport.

Very few people are buying manual transmission cars, and very few dealers even bother to order them anymore. There are options out there. Not many, but they exist.

You're forgetting that the manual in the G70 is a manual only in the 252 HP 4 cylinder, not the v6, and still costs $36k. It's bad value proposition when you could get a GTI with similar specs for less, or pay a little more for an STI or a Type-R with 300 HP.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I feel like all automotive design in the last decade has been leading up to this.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

The only assholeery I see from Acuras are from the cars themselves. They have the most blinding headlights in the entire industry.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I have a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 and I love it. Though I'm strongly considering swapping it, in the future, for a new 3 Hatch + sportbike because the new 3 looks so slick.

That is, unless Mazda changes their mind and makes a new Mazdaspeed. :pray:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Do you think the average car buyer really "gets" how crazy electric motors can be yet or are they still by and large associated with "eco-leaf" branded hippiemobiles

Some do. I recently got a "just buy a Tesla bro" when I expressed a desire to buy a sportbike.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

quote:

electric milf mobile

lmao

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

A thing I hate about current luxury cars is that they still differentiate by size, with the very best interior going to the biggest chassis. Isn't it past time they realized that there are reasons to want a compact car other than "too poor to buy a bigger car?" Sell me an S4 with all the interior gubbins of an S8, dang it.

Having a bigger chassis means it's easier to fit in those interior gubbins.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

dissss posted:

So what price is everyone picking it will actually start at. Clearly it won’t be $40k but I’m wondering how far over it’ll go.

$80K at least, $100K with all the options.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Wheeee posted:

If you take a step back from the ingrained relationship we have with cars and look at it from a detached perspective, the idea that everyone drives around in something as huge and wasteful as even a small car is absurd. Mass transit and small personal transportation options like scooters make so much more sense for a society to be built around.

Replace scooters with screaming fast sport bikes and I'm down with this tbh.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Yeah I'm not paying $50k for an STI, 400HP or not.

Unless they bring the hatch version back to the U.S. in which case :retrogames:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

People complain about modern cars looking overly angry but I think I dislike this new unibrow trend much more.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

That thing better shoot fire out of its shell while spinning or Koennigsegg has failed as a company.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

dk2m posted:

so are dealers dropping prices because of the coronavirus or what

trillion dollar stimulus packages abound, but it’s so weird that GM isn’t going bankrupt for once

Well GM did announce 0% 7 year financing...

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Assuming we all make it through this with our jobs and health intact, will anyone else be looking for deals on anything in particular?

I really like those new RAM 1500s....

I'm gonna see if I can find a Genesis G70/Stinger GT in the low-mid 20s. Maaaybe a Golf R.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'll take the Lexus ventilator please

I'd settle for a Toyota one, but I hear the air pump is now made by BMW.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I hate to say this but Genesis needs to come out with SUVs yesterday, if they want to survive.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

CornHolio posted:

That stitching is probably done bad on purpose to give it that handmade/artisan look.

It's GM. Hanlon's Razor cuts deep.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Charles posted:

In actual new car news, Mazda's next-gen 6 is rumored to be RWD / inline 6
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32109038/mazda-6-rwd-confirmed-2022/

They're not gonna do it, but they should stick a turbo/twin-turbos in there and resurrect the Mazdaspeed6.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Didn't Skyactiv-X sell like poo poo in Europe?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

JK Fresco posted:

Oh also the new Elantra came out

"This looks cool, but would be way better if they changed the headlights/grille juuust a bit" - me for every new car announced in the past 4 months.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

There’s also no evidence we can manufacture a human safe coronavirus vaccine. I believe we have some for livestock, but none have ever been made safe for us.

No a vaccine is possible, it will just take until next year. You're probably thinking that because SARS and MERS never got vaccines, but that was because they were contained quick enough to not need one.

SARS-Cov-19 has only has 4 strains and mutates slowly, so there no reason to believe that it's somehow impossible to make a human-safe vaccine.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

38 inches of display screen is more than my entirely-overkill ultrawide monitor. :stare:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

It's literally the same thing as the Corolla "Sport" trim, just double the price. Just slap a body kit and some badges and you'll trick a majority of the buyers into thinking it's a performance car.

It works too, I see Corolla Sports everywhere.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I can't imagine getting worked up over someone as harmless as Doug DeMuro.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Also my only problem with new cars is that I can't afford any of them.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

dk2m posted:

Are...are the Germans cribbing Korean design languages now? My have the tables turned

They're definitely copying Tesla's design language for the interior, which is much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

dk2m posted:

i’ve posted this before, but lowered cx5s somehow look amazing and it’s what i would do if i ever got bamboozled into having to buy a cuv

For a certain definition of "amazing".